Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 The How To 16V Water Pump Conversion On 20V EngineFirst  < 8 9 10 11 12 >  Last
Author Post
Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

Re: (rachithav) » Reply  Edit

twin row radiator? nonsense. I am using a single row Hyundai radiator with no fans, and have done so for many years. With twin fans you should be fine regardless of the conditions. Try it and on the hottest day with the air-con running just watch the temps, I doubt you will have an issue. If it does I doubt a third fan would help then a larger single row radiator might be the most efficient.

My website - conversion parts, articles, services...

s-86.com

-20v RWD conversion parts for sale

Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

» Reply  Edit

this thread hasn't has any updates for a while so I thought I would revive it.

For the first time I took a pic of the parts in the right place including sensors:

It normally uses the OEM screws for the dizzy cap and the original studs+nuts/bolt for the rear bypass but it's what I had on me.

Modified by Sam_Q at 11:04 AM 9/21/2010

s-86.com

morgan

6446 posts [93%]
just be glad your not here, nj

Re: (Sam_Q) » Reply  Edit

that dist cap looks really good Sam.

haha cali...i got one of you 86's, and your not getting it back.
my 20v in an 86 swap guide
my mess of an 86...
*east coast toyotas forum*
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.
Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

» Reply  Edit

thanks, I am only a reseller though, I can't take credit for the design or construction.

s-86.com

mr2head

58 posts [100%]
Reynoldsbug OH

OK just to clarify. they're isn't any reason why you can't put a 16V water pump on a silvertop, that has a 20V head gasket and run all stock lines right? I'm running a heater too. this is going into a Ae102 FWD. I'm pretty sure i don't have a 20V crank pulley as the pulley that came on my motor looks the same as my 7afe.

Thanks.

Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

» Reply  Edit

so a 16V pump on a stock 20V motor? yes no problem at all, although check for clearences as you might have to shave the blades down a bit

s-86.com

mr2head

58 posts [100%]
Reynoldsbug OH

OK thanks for the clarification, she bolts up just fine.
Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

Re: (mr2head) » Reply  Edit

good, I forgot to mention though that the shape around the covers is a little different, if you try and put one of your covers on you will see what I mean

s-86.com

Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

» Reply  Edit

for anyone who is interested I now have my cooling parts on this website:

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=83506

s-86.com

Nusdogg

18 posts [100%]
St. Paul MN

» Reply  Edit

Great DIY. Thanks.

**1994 Honda Accord EX**
- JDM H22A/JDM F20B T2T4 LSD 5spd trans
(200whp/156wtq) :D

**1995 Geo Prizm LSi**
-USDM 7AFE(1.8L) Auto
-Maybe a 4AGE swap?

Teh Luckinator

973 posts [93%]
Stockton CA

» Reply  Edit

has anyone tried flipping the stock 20v waterneck? i'm wondering if the flange will still bolt on. talking about this:

one of the holes is an oval shape. hoping it'll fit, then i can just have it chopped and weld the part that the radiator hose goes over.

*e7* club! ke70, ae71, te72, and everything in between
http://www.e7club.org
SEXYTIMEKIDS!
Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

» Reply  Edit

I had mine cut and welded but if you are fabricating, why does it matter which direction you install it?

I'm pretty sure I just cut mine off witha chop saw and had it tigged. There was a lot of area to fill though since the shape there is oval, and shape on the water neck is circular.

Stand Alone ECU tuning. Message me for details.

Looking to buy a corolla manual rack and a TRD 3 gear transmission.
*also wtb 4 point roll cage/bar for ae86 coupe

Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

» Reply  Edit

You guys should do some kind of deliberate bypass. I had heating issues because I welded up the original bypass that the 16V uses. Without a large bypass there isn't enough hot coolant to tell the thermostat to open since it is up against a wall of cold coolant coming from the rad.

Teh Luckinator

973 posts [93%]
Stockton CA

» Reply  Edit

well i'm not trying to cut the flange off, i just want to cut the neck and flip the whole thing upside down. trying to make easier work for my friend

SEXYTIMEKIDS!
Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

» Reply  Edit

I don't remember if it's reversible but I suppose it would be easy enough for you to try since you probably have 20V sitting out in the open.

Teh Luckinator

973 posts [93%]
Stockton CA

» Reply  Edit

bkh808 confirmed the flange will fit upside down right now haha. thanks brah!

SEXYTIMEKIDS!
CBR_TOY

514 posts [100%]
Houston Tx

Re: (Teh Luckinator) » Reply  Edit

i'm sure it's been asked a million times.....

but what if i want to run rwd 16v water pump and alternator and the rwd pulley's (NST)

will it all work no problem?

also, what's the best upper coolant neck option with no heater? sam q's? i like his stuff alot

thanks

Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

» Reply  Edit

sorry for the delay guys, I am behind at the moment.

Teh Luckinator: The water neck will not flip. what many have done in the past is chop it in the middle, face the other half up and weld a bypass outlet on.

Grant, I agree about the bypass but in that picture it's completely wrong, what you have there is a radiator bypass that's always open. It has to go to the top of the water pump not the back. Have a look inside you will see why. That water outlet looks neat though.

CBR_TOY: If you run the matching pulleys to the water-pump you can run any pump you like. You plan will be fine. You might need to shave a little off the block to fit the pump, I will get you a pic.

Thanks for the support of my products, so makes the best front water outlet? that would have to be RS-Chita.. hey at least I am honest! too bad you can't buy it separate. I am however working on a new product that suits the original hoses, the 16/8V rwd pump housing with the bypass in place. I will get some pics.

s-86.com

Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

» Reply  Edit

heres my progress so far:

This is 1 of 25, notice the profile cut flange. I still have to put on a support plate under it with a brace to the water pump and also get the bypass outlet welded on. That and obviously some de-burring.

Here is how the block sometimes needs to be modded to fit a rwd pump:

Just a quick hit with the grinder is fine.

s-86.com

CBR_TOY

514 posts [100%]
Houston Tx

thanks a bunch Sam for the pics....do you just weld the top of the 16v w/p shut or?
Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

» Reply  Edit

Sam, I studied the coolant flow chart on a 16V. I don't understand why that would not work. Care to elaborate?

Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

Re: (CBR_TOY) » Reply  Edit

no welding, well unless the customer wants to have a weld on bypass outlet in which I provide a pipe thats on an angle and can be welded to face the top water pipe.

The top outlets will have a small barb under them on a 45 at the very bottom in the same direction as the pipe off the head. I will then supply a pre-welded fitting that's a 45 degree aluminium pipe that the customer puts in the top of the 16V pump housing to face up towards the top pipe.

So when they get my kit they would glue the angled short pipe into the top of the water pump with some epoxy, bolt the top outlet on, slide the 5/8" bypass hose between the two and hose-clamp it into place. Or... I am clonsidering making something that just clamps into place so no glue or welding and uses an O-ring seal. I will use the pictured pipe above for my further work in working out how this is going to come together, I am going to dedicate a large part of tomorrow to do so.

What I am aiming for is something that gives people everything they need. While I personally don't like the T3 kit, I do however like how they give you everything required to bolt in place, well atleast they say that anyway which I don't necessarily trust. Assuming it's true I want to do the same, I want to have that short section of hose, clamps, bolts, etc..

If everything works out I am going to make a super easy to follow Youtube video for everyone so they can see how it's put on. My website and massive article just isn't too friendly for newcomers and I want to fix that. Anyway enough of this I am sounding like a walking sales pitch.

Now Grant I can see why your confused as your mistake is hard to pick. You see the top outlet and the one out the back are not the same. The one you have connected to is always open which means even when your engine is too hot and needs to cool down it's still letting water bypass the radiator. The top outlet however is controlled by the second stage of the thermostat. When the engine is cold this is open and lets the water bypass, however once warm the main body of the thermostat opens but the small washer like thing on the end of the thermostat blocks this port and shuts off all bypass flow. Does this make sense?

s-86.com

Teh Luckinator

973 posts [93%]
Stockton CA

» Reply  Edit

yeah, confirmed, water neck will NOT flip. hits the throttle bodies -_____- damnit.

SEXYTIMEKIDS!
Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

Re: (Teh Luckinator) » Reply  Edit

that aside the cooling channel would be in the wrong spot and it would actually hit the head casting.

This is my solution:

I sure hope this works or else I will have 25 useless flanges! hahahaha

s-86.com

hf91

39 posts [100%]
BSB

Quote, originally posted by Sam_Q »
CBR_TOY: If you run the matching pulleys to the water-pump you can run any pump you like. You plan will be fine. You might need to shave a little off the block to fit the pump, I will get you a pic.

I tried a mock-up setup on my 20V st using 16v rwd water pump & rear (thermo) housing, 16v rwd alt & bracket & 20V crank pulley, put a belt on it & it looks align to me.. Im not sure when its running, but i try to crank the eng by turning the crank pulley & turns well..

Eventho i use 16v crank pulley, should i shave them or only the 20v crank pulley needs to be done?? Bit confuse here..

Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

Re: (hf91) » Reply  Edit

You always use the pulley to match the front half of the pump. Normally the impellor blades of the pump can touch the housing of the back half of the pump. Trying it without a gasket to see if it freely spins is good.

Here is one I prepared earlier:

This has been modified to suit.

s-86.com

hf91

39 posts [100%]
BSB

The pic is a 20v fwd water pump with a 16v rwd rear thermo housing setup, right??

I tried using both the 16v rwd water pump n rear housing, it fits well & when
turning none of it seems to hit anything on the 20v block..

Here's a photos of my mock-up setup on my other 20V..

Still figuring out on how to do the top water neck that goes
to the top radiator inlet, thinking of machining an adapter plate &
use back the 16v rwd top water neck.. Just like morgan did

joakinte72

69 posts [100%]
el paso tx

» Reply  Edit

has anybody used or know if the 4ac pumphousing and pump work or are the sdame as the 16v?
morgan

6446 posts [93%]
just be glad your not here, nj

Re: (joakinte72) » Reply  Edit

the water pump and rear housing from the gts and sr5 are the same.

haha cali...i got one of you 86's, and your not getting it back.
my 20v in an 86 swap guide
my mess of an 86...
*east coast toyotas forum*
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.
Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

» Reply  Edit

The 2AC engines also use the same

s-86.com

First  < 8 9 10 11 12 >  Last

» Return to Engine - 4A-GE 20V