Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 water pump rear housing question
Author Post
AE86doridori

343 posts [95%]

water pump rear housing question Reply  Edit

the 2 inch tube that runs from the waterpump housing to the water inlet on the 4age rotted, anyway i can get a hold of one or has anyone fitted something similar?

gekishibu86

1426 posts [99%]
Ca

Re: water pump rear housing question (AE86doridori) » Reply  Edit

Still available from the dealer.
kiosk

1297 posts [97%]
California

» Reply  Edit

Just like you, I had to have this replaced on my GTS because it got rusted and started falling apart

part number for the pipe: 16268-15011
part number for the o-ring: 96711-24013

shouldn't be no more than $20 bucks

AE86NIGHTS

Click me to check your PM's|toyoDIY alternative|4AGE Diagnostics Manual(8mb)

AE86doridori

343 posts [95%]

Re: (kiosk) » Reply  Edit

made it myself lol

Deuce Cam

1029 posts [100%]
Chandler AZ

What's the signifcance of that thermostat bypass tube (16268)?

What are the cons of deleting that tube, and welding the holes on the thermostat housing and water neck/inlet shut?

Parts for sale:

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=99639

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: water pump rear housing question (Deuce Cam) » Reply  Edit

I don't see any advantage to changing that?
AE86doridori

343 posts [95%]

guess we'll never know till someone tries!
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

I mean MR2 and FWDs don't have that tube, but they route coolant different anyways.
Deuce Cam

1029 posts [100%]
Chandler AZ

Re: water pump rear housing question (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

It interests me because it simplifies things further, and it would make it easier to remove the parts it's attached to - if needed - if it wasn't there.

I know people have done it, but I usually only see it removed on 20v's running 16v water flow and pump. It's obviously there for a reason though and I'm curious what that is, and also what the cons are to removing it.

Parts for sale:

morgan

6446 posts [93%]
just be glad your not here, nj

Quote, originally posted by Deuce Cam »
What's the signifcance of that thermostat bypass tube (16268)?

What are the cons of deleting that tube, and welding the holes on the thermostat housing and water neck/inlet shut?

dont do it. when the thermostat is closed, the water pump is still running, and circulating the water thru the motor, and that pipe. delete it, and theres no circulation...unless the thermostat is open.
anyone studied this before?

imo, the only "safe" way of deleting that, would be to also drill some holes in your thermostat to keep the flow going. but i would just leave it alone, even though it is a pain when taking stuff out. i actually added a bypass in my 20v rwd flow setup after researching about this. i retained the rwd backing plate, welded a barb in the place of the pipe, and made an adapter to bolt the 16v rwd upper waterneck to the 20v head, and just used some heater core lines to connect the two. heres what i did if anyones interested, works great.

Modified by morgan at 9:49 AM 12/30/2011

haha cali...i got one of you 86's, and your not getting it back.
my 20v in an 86 swap guide
my mess of an 86...
*east coast toyotas forum*
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.
Deuce Cam

1029 posts [100%]
Chandler AZ

Re: water pump rear housing question (morgan) » Reply  Edit

Thanks for the reply. Now that you mention it I remember people talking about drilling holes in the thermostat to retain some type of bypass.

I'd be curious to hear from anyone that removed the bypass tube, and drilled holes in their thermostat.

Parts for sale:

jdm86gtz

711 posts [100%]
Waterford Ireland

» Reply  Edit

The FWD 16Vs do have a bypass pipe but it goes from the coolant outlet pipe, runs under the intake manifold and into the remote thermostat housing.
Jtek

10367 posts [100%]
Portland OR

» Reply  Edit

I didn't drill my t-stat and I JB welded the hole on the water pump up with zero problems.
dr.occa

2382 posts [93%]
The Lonestar State

» Reply  Edit

SQ Engineering makes a nifty replacement piece.

Here

86 Garage Magazine
"Strictly All Things 86"

» Return to Engine - 4A-GE 16V