Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 my 20v'ed ae86 swap write-up...First  < 1 2 3 >  Last
Author Post
morgan

6446 posts [93%]
just be glad your not here, nj

Re: (c99ae86) » Reply  Edit

It should work with the stock line, but don't quote me on that. With the Earls fitting, the banjo bolt diameter was a bit smaller than the I.D. of fitting, so I used a small o-ring on the bolt to center it.

haha cali...i got one of you 86's, and your not getting it back.
my 20v in an 86 swap guide
my mess of an 86...
*east coast toyotas forum*
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.
Deuce Cam

1029 posts [100%]
Chandler AZ

Re: my 20v'ed ae86 swap write-up... (morgan) » Reply  Edit

I'm hoping someone can help with a few questions I have:

1. Regarding the alternator...are the rwd and fwd alternator brackets the same? I'm looking at a 20v long block that doesn't come with the alternator/bracket and I'm wondering what my options are in mounting one. I'm leaning towards 16v accessories/water flow, but still considering the stock 20v setup.

2. Does the black top itbs/manifold bolt up to the silver top head, and are any mods necessary to make it happen? Any pros/cons to doing this? I ask because the engine I'm looking at is a silver top and doesn't come with itbs so I'd have to buy some. Since I was planning on running black top electronics it seems like the bt itbs/manifold would be better suited implementing a map and iat sensors (in theory).

Thanks

Parts for sale:

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=99639

rc.square24

326 posts [100%]
Vancouver BC

Re: my 20v'ed ae86 swap write-up... (Deuce Cam) » Reply  Edit

fwd/rwd brackets are different. It would be best if you could get ahold of a set of 16v rwd brackets and pulleys. It would also depend on how you run the water lines.

ST/BT have different port shapes if I recall, so it bolts on but its not really "working". And most people have been saying that BT throttles are too big for the 20v.

http://s-86.com/articles.html

morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: my 20v'ed ae86 swap write-up... (Deuce Cam) » Reply  Edit

im not sure if the alternators will be mounted in the same place, but they are slightly different. i never tried fitting the 20v brackets since i never had the 20v alternator. i went with all 16v stuff.

like previously mentioned, the BT ITBs have a different port shape compared to the ST, so i wouldnt recomment mix-n-match with them. just hook up the MAP sensor to the correct port on the ST ITBs, and youre fine.

my mess of an 86...
rc.square24

326 posts [100%]
Vancouver BC

» Reply  Edit

Morgan, are you running a 90 degree AN6 swivel on the fuel rail side? I'm looking at some but not sure if it will hit the iscv without tightening it at a weird angle. I see on yours it comes out before the ISCV. Do you have a part number by chance so I can see how tight the bend is? Thanks.
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: (rc.square24) » Reply  Edit

heres a pic, i used the same on both ends. not sure of the p/n, they can be found in this thread though...
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=40418

my mess of an 86...
bwh13

117 posts [100%]
Phoenix AZ

Re: (morgan) » Reply  Edit

Couldn't find out where you supplied the signal to the circuit opening relay. It originally came from the #8 pin on the inside cabin plug.

Where did you take it from?

morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: (bwh13) » Reply  Edit

for the FC pin on the ecu? tap into the green wire with red trace on the COR.

my mess of an 86...
rc.square24

326 posts [100%]
Vancouver BC

» Reply  Edit

I just put in a fuel pressure gauge on top of my filter, get about 38psi at idle and 45-48ish when I rev the engine a bit. With the engine off it maintains at 38-40 and slowly drops after about 5 mins?

This morning I check the bay before starting and it was at 0 psi.

Is the fpr fully closed when the engine is off? How much and for how long is pressure supposed to be maintained when off? Or what is yours reading when left for a night off?

Trying to diagnose a hard start problem ive been dealing with since the swap, on mornings or when left off for 1-2-3 hours or more (I don't know, like extended periods).

But the weird thing is sometimes it starts on the first crank without priming the pump beforehand, while other times it still takes like 5 tries with a primed pump.

morgan

6446 posts [93%]

» Reply  Edit

its the same for me, i never have a problem with startup. i just started it up for the first time since 11/20/11(3.5 months) and it fired right up, after cranking it to get oil pressure. fuel pump and COPs were unplugged when priming.

my mess of an 86...
nismosilvia270r

201 posts [98%]

Re: my 20v'ed ae86 swap write-up... (morgan) » Reply  Edit

im looking for the answer now, but if you already know, why did you use the wiper wire (blue/white) for the wiper and SP1.

i am double checking to see what wires from c* goes to what.

i hope SP1 doesnt even have to be wired.

rc.square24

326 posts [100%]
Vancouver BC

» Reply  Edit

SP1 is not the wiper wire, if you are using a gts interior harness just cut off the yellow ecu plug that is connected to the chassis harness (the ther two yellow plugs are connected to 16v engine harness) and take the blue/white wire and join it to SPD on the 20v 22pin plug.

I believe you don't need to connect it as it is a speed sensor from your gts speedometer, but you get a check light coming on at times when you drive and stays on until engine off, and so on. It doesnt seem to affect the way the engine runs (my speedo gear is broken so i get it) So might as well connect it so you don't mistake another code thinking it's the missing SPD wire.

nismosilvia270r

201 posts [98%]

yes. morgan's write up said to connect sp1 to the c* plug.

but, like you said, it needs to go to the "T" plug. i also read that if not connected a code will appear, but performance is not compromised

in reference to the medium sized BT ECU plug, it looks like:

BATT, B+, and SP1 go to the "T" plug
WARN and FC go to the C* plug.

the wiring section was a bit contradicting. (wrong: SP1 goes to pin 9 on c*)

rc.square24

326 posts [100%]
Vancouver BC

» Reply  Edit

The "T" plug is really not T but R, someone must have misread it and people just used T from then on.

I've been wanting to post scans of some diagrams I drew for my own reference when doing the swap just as a supplement for anything other guides missed out, not that mine is a 100% complete.

I'll try tidying it up and post them soon.

morgan

6446 posts [93%]

» Reply  Edit

Looks like I need to re-read this part and correct or better explain what's done.

The SP1 wire from the plug by the ecu comes from the cluster and goes to the ecu. It has nothing to do with the speedo gear, the signal comes from the tachometer which is ran from the ignitor.

my mess of an 86...
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: my 20v'ed ae86 swap write-up... (nismosilvia270r) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by nismosilvia270r »
im looking for the answer now, but if you already know, why did you use the wiper wire (blue/white) for the wiper and SP1.

i am double checking to see what wires from c* goes to what.

i hope SP1 doesnt even have to be wired.

You're getting 2 wires confused I think. There are 2 blue/white wires, but each is on a different plug.
The C* plug from JB#4 is for the wiper stuff.
The T plug blue/white is the SPD wire to the 16v ecu from the cluster.

The T plug is on the Under Dash Harness, so cut the SPD wire off the plug and connect the harness side of the wire to the SP1 wire on the 20v ecu plug.

For the C* plug wiper stuff, that plug is on the Engine Harness. Strip the harness loom off to the wiper plugs and clip the un-used wires.

my mess of an 86...
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: (nismosilvia270r) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by nismosilvia270r »
yes. morgan's write up said to connect sp1 to the c* plug.

but, like you said, it needs to go to the "T" plug. i also read that if not connected a code will appear, but performance is not compromised

in reference to the medium sized BT ECU plug, it looks like:

BATT, B+, and SP1 go to the "T" plug
WARN and FC go to the C* plug.

the wiring section was a bit contradicting. (wrong: SP1 goes to pin 9 on c*)

I can't seem to find where I said to "connect SP1 to C* plug".

Please "quote" the questionable parts so I can see exactly where, then I can fix it. Thanks

my mess of an 86...
nismosilvia270r

201 posts [98%]

Re: (morgan) » Reply  Edit

"the starter power wire needs to be tapped into and ran to the ECU "STA" terminal, the "FC" terminal needs to be connected to the green/red wire of the COR, which can be accessed from the yellow "C*" Plug(pin#5) at the JB#4. and the "SP1" terminal at the same "C*" Plug too."

its the second to last picture in your "Part 6: Wiring" post.

rc.square24

326 posts [100%]
Vancouver BC

The 26 pin and 16 pin plugs are pretty straight forward, here is the diagram for hooking up the 22 pin plug. I hope this doesn't add any confusion.

On the last sketch, I de-pinned the wires shown from the C* male plug (male as in male pin terminals, not the gender of housing) on JB4 and hooked them up to the 20v 22pin plug.

nismosilvia270r

201 posts [98%]

thank you. your wiring diagram is neat, but i just made the correction to morgan's guide and made my harness strictly plug and play.

since my harness was so far gone before starting, the only 16v harness I had to modify was the "R" ("T") plug. I used a weather pack connector to tap in.

as far as the STA and other wires, I tried not to "tap" into any more of the car's harness such as COR. I used the C, C*, and "R" plugs as interface.

my focus was to only mod the engine harness.
Looking back, I would've loved to have found a female "R" plug, or broke down an ecu to make it 100% plugnplay

iamjapanman

146 posts [100%]
Irvine CA

hi im also doing a 20v st swap into an ae86 but this is my first time and im still confused about the rewiring of the SPD, BATT, and +B1 wires.

im using dr. tweaks 20v engine harness to a BT ecu, but he also instructed me to rewire the SPD wire.

so here's my confusion:
do these wires tap onto the new harness that i received from dr tweak?
or do i unpin the wires from the 22pin plug and repin those wires from the 14pin plug?
i drew a little diagram to help explain my confusion...

thanks

rc.square24

326 posts [100%]
Vancouver BC

» Reply  Edit

Assuming your dashed lines are not connections, wire as sit. 2
iamjapanman

146 posts [100%]
Irvine CA

» Reply  Edit

yeah, dashed lines are not connections.

thanks for a quick reply.

morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: (iamjapanman) » Reply  Edit

yup #2. great diagram, do you mind if i include it in the write-up? ill give you credit obviously.

my mess of an 86...
iamjapanman

146 posts [100%]
Irvine CA

» Reply  Edit

Yeah, I'm fine if you include it.

Please say that I am using Dr. Tweak's 20v engine harness since it may cause confusion why there is an engine harness there to begin with.

morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: (iamjapanman) » Reply  Edit

will do, im also going to eliminate the "BATT" wire from going to the engine bay since it has no use there. thanks.

my mess of an 86...
iamjapanman

146 posts [100%]
Irvine CA

» Reply  Edit

Ok
nismosilvia270r

201 posts [98%]

» Reply  Edit

i did the "situation 2" for mine. used a weather pack to connect them.

it works

nismosilvia270r

201 posts [98%]

also, worth noting that I had some pretty weak voltage through the COR to fuel pump.

I ran a wire from A* (single wire black plug near fusebox/battery) --> through the engine harness --> to C* pin #7
- both wires are Black/Red

This simulates the wire in the 16v harness that did the same thing.

For some reason I only had 10V before at fuel pump. now its a solid 12v to the COR and fuel pump.

joedk

3 posts [100%]
west sacramento california

waht cop are you runing and where did you buy them from if i may ask. nice write up im going to be using it soon. also was this swap done in a gts or a sr5? sorry i didnt read it all if listed. my car is a sr5 and woundering what else is needed or different between the two.
 First  < 1 2 3 >  Last

» Return to Engine - 4A-GE 20V