Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 1UZ AE86: Barn Built on a BudgetFirst  1 2 3 >  Last
Author Post
Buckethead

1740 posts [100%]
The Middle of Nowhere MN

1UZ AE86: Barn Built on a Budget Reply  Edit

My brother in law and I came upon a 1985 GTS hatch for $800 locally, running bluetop, and pretty rough body this past summer and we couldn't pass it up.

The car's initial purpose was it's running 16v, to replace the 20v in my personal 86 while we diagnosed the issues we were running into with it. The 16v has a new TRD headgasket, and revs happy, so I felt it was worth pulling and putting into mine, so I could at least take it down the road a bit before the snow came.

We were left with an all too familar site at our shop...a car with no heart.

What to do?

My brother in law Jon is certainly a fan of big power, odd swaps, and general creativity. He's also a big DIY'er, where I usually buy what works, he'll build it. Considering there isn't much that hasn't been done to these cars (GM 3800 Series 2? Oh wait, thats been done too) We gave up on trying to be unique and started researching big bang for the buck, while keeping it a bit rogue.
Haunting Club4AG like I do, I've been a fan of Josh's 1uz hatch forever. while talking over our choices, we decided to drink beer that tasted like birthday cake and tear the car down a bit.

We finally agreed upon the 1uz, and sourced one locally from an LS400 for $360 and change, after a core they'll never see and tax. Came with wiring, but was missing ECU and Alt. Easy enough to source on their own.

Keeping with Jon's DIY spirit that sometimes drives me nuts, but always seems to work out, and the fact that we're not working with a crazy bank roll, I came to grips with the fact that we're doing this on the cheap. I've decided to look at it as a mission, and not an uphill climb. Those will come later

Hopefully this build, as it progresses, will serve as a decent budget-smart way to get V8 power in an 86. Starting with an $800 car presents problems you can't avoid, as the body of the Trueno shows quite bluntly. All that will change.

We've sourced a W58 transmission ($100), had the bellhousing-to-tranny adaptor plate custom cut at Diamond Metals in Ham Lake MN for $150, and we pulled a Ford 8.8 rear from Upull for $96 complete disc to disc w/LSD. Pics on all of this to follow!

Check back in, and wish us luck!!

1985 AE86 GTS hatch
1985 AE86 GTS hatch 1UZFE
1988 AE82 FX16 GTS (project)

---------------------
Addicted to the 80's

ae86cesar

251 posts [100%]
Vegas NV

» Reply  Edit

very nice im in the works of a 1uz to ae86 as well, what flywheel and clutch combo will you be using?

rz86 swap in the works-- http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=90283

TOYOTA- KEEP MOVING SIDEWAYS

Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

» Reply  Edit

I'm the other half of this build and can help provide some of the answers as we figure them out.

We picked up the flywheel from a 3vz, but I think a 3sgte, 1mz or 2vz will work as well. I think the 3sgte might be the better option as the 3vz is cast. Looking at the clutch options, I think we can use any heavy duty pressure plate for any of the above motors. I need to confirm this, but I think they all have similar mounting holes. Please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. The W58 clutch disc specs are 9.25" dia. with 1-1/8" to 1-3/16" 21 spline shaft, which, coincidentally is the same as the 3vz (well, the tranny that mates to it).

I'm considering just purchasing a good quality truck clutch for the time being. Maybe we'll upgrade it later if it turns out it can't hold all this power. :D

I started a thread about this but haven't had any replies:
http://forums.club4ag.com/zero...01869

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
91 MR2 3SGTE, it'll run someday
85 AE86 1UZFE, project car
88 FX16 GTS (x2), I have no idea what I'm doing with these cars
ae86cesar

251 posts [100%]
Vegas NV

» Reply  Edit

thanks for the info, hopefully someone can confirm this, as the other option for this is the quantom auto kit but its to expensive at $1,000

Gsxrjosh

302 posts [98%]
West Valley City Ut

Re: (ae86cesar) » Reply  Edit

Use the 7mgte flywheel then use a w5X trans this is the setup I going with it

GTSR5 Build thread - http://forums.club4ag.com/zero...age=1

Gsxrjosh

302 posts [98%]
West Valley City Ut

Re: (Gsxrjosh) » Reply  Edit

What did u pull the 8.8 from?

GTSR5 Build thread - http://forums.club4ag.com/zero...age=1

ae86cesar

251 posts [100%]
Vegas NV

» Reply  Edit

first time i hear about using a 7mgte flywheel, do the holes, and ring gear need to be modified?

mikeyee

1697 posts [96%]
Fremont ca

» Reply  Edit

woo! subscribedd

http://about.me/myee

Mike Yee's Corolla resource page: https://sites.google.com/site/ncalae86/resources-1

Buckethead

1740 posts [100%]
The Middle of Nowhere MN

Re: (Gsxrjosh) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Gsxrjosh »
What did u pull the 8.8 from?

came from a 98 Ford Explorer I believe, with posi. we're eventually going to be putting it in, but we'll be using stock LSD gts rear for the meantime. not to abuse it, but just so we can get the motor running, go around the block, not beat on it and work out the kinks.

Quote, originally posted by ae86cesar »
first time i hear about using a 7mgte flywheel, do the holes, and ring gear need to be modified?

thats something we'd love to know. if the 7mgte flywheel will bolt up and fit proper, it would end up being a better course of action than the 3vz flywheel, due to needing to expand the flywheel bolt holes to match the 1uz.

can anyone confirm?

Quote, originally posted by mikeyee »
woo! subscribedd

Thanks! its an exciting build!

1985 AE86 GTS hatch

---------------------
Addicted to the 80's

Buckethead

1740 posts [100%]
The Middle of Nowhere MN

Re: (Buckethead) » Reply  Edit

also, isn't the 7mgte a 6 bolt flywheel...? the 1uz is 8 bolt.

PIC UPDATES!

Projects worked on this past weekend. Modifying the 3vz flywheel to match bolt holes with the 1uz. Lots of work! We're using a file in a hand drill, and it's not the most effective. We'll continue on, until we find a better option. Drilling was a thought, but that takes more of the surface than a file, allowing slices we can't see to be made, and leaving the door open for cracks, splitting, etc when under load.

Here's our custom cut W series transmission to 1uz bellhousing adaptor! its a 2 piece setup, both pieces cut for $150 at Diamond Metals in Ham Lake Minnesota. 3/8 Steel that we will coat to avoid rust. We will need to drill out the holes a bit, as it seems the CAD file holes didn't account for the actual bolt hole sizes in both the bellhousing and transmission. Easy enough.

1985 AE86 GTS hatch

---------------------
Addicted to the 80's

Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

» Reply  Edit

The reason for the undersized bolt holes on the adapter plates is to make sure there's enough material so some of the holes can be tapped, if desired.

I'm still torn between repairing the wiring harness and getting a stock ECU or modifying the harness to plug into my MegaSquirt.

Still a lot to be done and many things yet to be decided.

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
Buckethead

1740 posts [100%]
The Middle of Nowhere MN

Re: (Gyvven) » Reply  Edit

oh thats why they left them small? makes sense.

1985 AE86 GTS hatch

---------------------
Addicted to the 80's

zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

Hey what clutch/PP do you use on the camry flywheel to mate with w58.
mikeyee

1697 posts [96%]
Fremont ca

» Reply  Edit

this is awesome. you should put the file of the cad template of the adapter plate. i was always under the impression the only way to do w58 1uz was the big $$ bellhousing and kit.

this diy really opens up to us the options of doing the swap on a tight budget!

Mike Yee's Corolla resource page: https://sites.google.com/site/ncalae86/resources-1

Buckethead

1740 posts [100%]
The Middle of Nowhere MN

Re: (mikeyee) » Reply  Edit

this is awesome. you should put the file of the cad template of the adapter plate. i was always under the impression the only way to do w58 1uz was the big $$ bellhousing and kit.

thats our goal! glad you're enjoying it! I'll check with Jon (Gyvven) regarding the CAD file.

Quote, originally posted by zudog1 »

I believe our options are 3sgte, 7mgte, or tacoma? Jon, can you confirm?

1985 AE86 GTS hatch

---------------------
Addicted to the 80's

Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

Re: (mikeyee) » Reply  Edit

As much as I enjoy giving and getting free things, the cad file is not mine to give away. I purchased it from Ed at V-eight.com, who did all the work of creating the file and refining it over the years, and he's priced it very reasonably at only $25. I do CAD work and I know what goes into getting a good model, and he'd have to sell a lot of these to compensate for the time and effort that went into it. However, if it was mine I'd post it up in a heartbeat.

For those that are looking at the R154, he has that file as well.

I'm thinking about playing middle-man and having the shop that made my plate make more for other folks that need them. I'd need to talk to Ed first, though. The total I spent on my plate was $25 for the file and $150 for the work, so I guess I'd ask about $175. The shop is about 25 miles away, so a little gas and legwork fee, and I would probably kick some of the procedes over to Ed.

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

Re: (zudog1) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by zudog1 »

I still need to confirm this, but I think the 3vz flywheel we have will accept the 3sgte, 2vz and 1mz pressure plates. The disc is a 9.25" dia. 21-spline 1-1/8" shaft which, according to Rock Auto, is the same on the 94 4Runner as the 86 Supra but has different part numbers from the same manufacturer.

Take a look at my earlier post about it, I linked to my other post concerning this but nobody has contributed to it. I'll update it when I get more time and we test more parts.

I'm leaning towards a good heavy duty truck clutch because they're made for high torque holding and a decent organic disc will still be streetable. I also plan on maintaining a fairly heavy flywheel so that the rotating mass will help help break the tires loose instead of stalling the motor. Also helps keep the car streetable.

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
mikeyee

1697 posts [96%]
Fremont ca

Quote, originally posted by Gyvven »

As much as I enjoy giving and getting free things, the cad file is not mine to give away. I purchased it from Ed at V-eight.com, who did all the work of creating the file and refining it over the years, and he's priced it very reasonably at only $25. I do CAD work and I know what goes into getting a good model, and he'd have to sell a lot of these to compensate for the time and effort that went into it. However, if it was mine I'd post it up in a heartbeat.

For those that are looking at the R154, he has that file as well.

ahh wasnt aware the CAD file was purchased.

doing that would also help a great deal for others wanting to follow your path. great progress so far!

Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

» Reply  Edit

We made a run to Upull yesterday and grabbed a 90-91 ECU and it's plugs, tried pulling the harness but too many plugs were breaking and the 94 harness we have is in better shape. We'll need to wire in the new plugs, which should be pretty simple, but I'd like to figure out which wires we can delete from the stock ECU before we start that process. I have all the pinouts for both harnesses, so that's not an issue, but deciphering what the ECU wants as a minimum to run correctly is a bit of a pain. Been searching for a few days and I haven't found it yet.

We also picked up an alternator, but didn't grab the wiring (Another trip to Upull! Woohoo!) and the 90-91 non-traction control throttle body and intake manifold, and the ignitors. We wanted the AFM but someone had already snatched it. Grabbed the injectors too, but just found out that they're 220cc instead of the 251cc the motor already has. Oh, well.

I'm sitting down today to plan the wiring fixes.

We have almost everything to finish the swap with only the AFM and clutch stuff remaining, now we can really start the fabrication process.

The car is ugly as sin and will remain that way until we get this motor running, then we'll pull all out and start making it pretty... maybe.

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

» Reply  Edit

keep the us updated on the wiring Im doing 2 1uz swaps for other guys but wiring is where I fizzle out lol. i got the 3sgte flywheel for one and etting that redrilled and the 3vz for the other and both are a good option and need little machining. Thanks for the heads up on the parts interchange.

Hiko01

64 posts [100%]
Norcal ca

Re: (zudog1) » Reply  Edit

Something I found on Lextreme:

"There's 2 flywheels I provide. One is a factory 3vz flywheel that's modified to work on the 1uz which has the correct ring gear, and the bolt pattern gets opened up less than .065". It costs 275$ and usually ships out in under 10 days. Right now I have extras so it would ship out in less than a week. The other option is a full billet flywheel that runs 600+$ and takes 2-6 weeks to make."

http://www.lextreme.com/forums...nt=40

"Well I have been hoping to find a 3vze truck flywheel, billet steel because that would be the most viable option, and if I am not totally mistaken it also accommodates a 3sgte pressure plate although my recollection is a bit hazy. Don't be confused though there are two 3vz engines the 3vze which came in the trucks (3.0 v6 sohc) which has the correct ring gear orientation and there was a 3vzfe which came in the camrys which has the chronic problem of having a backwards (for us) ring gear. "

http://www.lextreme.com/forums...nt=37

"when people asks me what i drive i just roll my eyes and say a coupie roku DUH..." corollarollas
Buckethead

1740 posts [100%]
The Middle of Nowhere MN

Re: (Hiko01) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Hiko01 »
Something I found on Lextreme:

"There's 2 flywheels I provide. One is a factory 3vz flywheel that's modified to work on the 1uz which has the correct ring gear, and the bolt pattern gets opened up less than .065". It costs 275$ and usually ships out in under 10 days. Right now I have extras so it would ship out in less than a week. The other option is a full billet flywheel that runs 600+$ and takes 2-6 weeks to make."

http://www.lextreme.com/forums...nt=40

"Well I have been hoping to find a 3vze truck flywheel, billet steel because that would be the most viable option, and if I am not totally mistaken it also accommodates a 3sgte pressure plate although my recollection is a bit hazy. Don't be confused though there are two 3vz engines the 3vze which came in the trucks (3.0 v6 sohc) which has the correct ring gear orientation and there was a 3vzfe which came in the camrys which has the chronic problem of having a backwards (for us) ring gear. "

http://www.lextreme.com/forums...nt=37

Does seem like the 3sgte pressure plate is the way to go. thanks for chiming in! That segment of the article proves exactly why we're doing what we're doing. For all the 1uz swappers out there, there are more than enough resources to make your swap semi-painless...but they're all expensive.

Im growing to love that we're doing this on the cheap(er). it doesn't supply me with the peace of mind I usually have when doing work, because as earlier stated, I'm the one that buys what I know works...and Jon's the one that builds it. I think Jon's got me going to the "dark side" a bit. My hands are dirtier than usual, and I'm actually liking it. Can't wait to start fabbing this all up! and I REALLY can't wait to push Jon to make this car pretty....cause yeah, it's a bucket!

1985 AE86 GTS hatch

---------------------
Addicted to the 80's

Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

Quote, originally posted by Buckethead »

Does seem like the 3sgte pressure plate is the way to go. thanks for chiming in! That segment of the article proves exactly why we're doing what we're doing. For all the 1uz swappers out there, there are more than enough resources to make your swap semi-painless...but they're all expensive.

One of my main reasons for doing this on the cheap is because I'm cheap, but I also realize that there are folks that want to do this but are put off by the supposed expense. Sure, you can buy kits and stuff that will allow you to just slap everything together painlessly (unless you're a wallet), but I want to show that it can be done on a budget, and I enjoy the pain. You can always spend more money, but bleeding is free.

Since we have nearly everything we need I feel I should create a quick price list of everything we have spent so far;

Required items:
AE86 GTS - $800
1UZFE - $378 (missing a few key bits)
ECU - $20
Igniters - $18
Alternator - $26
W58 - $106
1UZ bellhousing - $20
3VZ flywheel - $20
Adapter plate - $162 (incl. tax)
Adapter file - $25
Misc. steel - $22

Nice to haves:
Ford 8.8 rear - $93
Extra pass. axle - $33
Throttle body - $16 (non-traction control)
Intake Mani - $14 (has cold start injector)

Total: $1725

And that includes the car! Granted we still need an exhaust, clutch and some misc stuff but I think that's a killer price so far. Of course, you could get it cheaper if you get your motor from a pick-n-pull, I figure the cost would be about $300 at our local one and that would get you everything you need except the tranny and adapter plate.

I'm hoping to recoup some of the costs by selling some stuff off the car and have already made back $250.

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
Buckethead

1740 posts [100%]
The Middle of Nowhere MN

Started the wiring harness process yesterday! Lots of labels...some of what we know, some of what we're pretty sure we know. Once complete and running, we'll provide a list of whats required.

Starting the labels...

Jon had a great idea and we went with it. Set up some pegboard, ziptie the harness, begin sorting what we know we need and what we know we dont need.

Made quite a bit of progress! still quite a bit left to go. Still need to set it up for the 86, but dash and body portions will be run once we've got our bare bones engine harness.

1985 AE86 GTS hatch

---------------------
Addicted to the 80's

Rhoad Racing

56 posts [99%]
Aiken SC

» Reply  Edit

Subscribed

StudioRhoad | chris.Rhoad,inc. | driftMechaniks | Female Racing News | Drifting-Wallpaper
Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

Re: (Rhoad Racing) » Reply  Edit

I was doing a bit of research and found this post on a NZ site. Has a ton of good info, but some of what he says is at odds with what some other folks say. I'm going to try and follow his info with a few minor changes.

http://www.oldschool.co.nz/php...29128

I was going to post the document I wrote up for the wiring and which to keep and which might be able to get rid of but copy and paste didn't retain the formatting.

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
Buckethead

1740 posts [100%]
The Middle of Nowhere MN

we decided to tackle the transmission to bellhousing adaptor plate yesterday, with great results!

Our adaptor plate was cut in two pieces of steel, unlike the kit options that use a machined piece of aluminum. Starting by enlarging the holes on the inner ring slightly.

Next we enlarge the matching holes on the large plate.

Ok, heres why we did that. We've joined the plate pieces together with some spacers we tapped in. now the 2 pieces are exact, and we'll be able to drill out the holes perfectly, and have the 2 pieces lined up correctly for when we tack them together.

Now we tack them together!

Now that they're joined together, we can tap the holes on the plate. Using an M10 1.25 tap, we're supposed to have the holes drilled with an 11/32 bit. turns out the holes on the plate as they were entered from the CAD file were correct. We hate hand-taps...so Jon had a good idea.

No the drill isnt on! He's turning it by hand with a pipe wrench, but using the drill press chuck gives a far more accurate tap than relying on a human wrist to keep it steady.

Here's a test fit of the plate on the W58. Looking pretty good.

Doing a bellhousing test-fit, we discovered an issue. The bottom portion of the bellhousing wouldnt sit flush against the transmission.

We removed the bellhousing to discover that one of the inner bolts around the shaft was pressing on the lower edge of the 1UZ bellhousing. Thankfully, with aluminum, these issues are easily handled.
The pressure of bolting it up for the test fit gave us a perfect outline of the bolt head, so we know exactly where to cut......but lets not actually "cut"

using the same file-in-a-drill method, we buzz right through the bellhousing!

Here's the bellhousing remounted, fitting flush. You can see what we filed out. Wont impact the bellhousing at all.

So, next step will be the throwout bearing!
We'll tackle that, more wiring, fabricating engine mounts, and who knows what else next Saturday! It's coming along pretty well and we're keeping it budget, but getting high quality results.

1985 AE86 GTS hatch

---------------------
Addicted to the 80's

blkdragn

150 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

Gonna keep an eye on this build.
GtsTone23

3595 posts [99%]
Chicago IllaNoise

Quote, originally posted by Gyvven »

One of my main reasons for doing this on the cheap is because I'm cheap, but I also realize that there are folks that want to do this but are put off by the supposed expense. Sure, you can buy kits and stuff that will allow you to just slap everything together painlessly (unless you're a wallet), but I want to show that it can be done on a budget, and I enjoy the pain. You can always spend more money, but bleeding is free.

LOL, I like this !!! Subscribed, Good Luck Fella's Im one for the DIYer's!

"Behind every Successful Man lies a Pack of HATERS,
If they aint Hating Now, They'll be Hating Later"
~GtsTone23~

nicrod

128 posts [99%]
SanDiego California

Re: (GtsTone23) » Reply  Edit

thank god for you guys! i just picked up a 1uz and im going to swap it into my old te72 corolla.
so let me get this all straightened out. your using a w58 trans, with a slightly moddified 3sgte flywheel? but you can also use the 3vz flywheel? its just more heavy? and for clutch at pressure plate options, you can use either or? just the truck clutch might be cheaper for the heftyness of it??

have you thought about suspension upgrades? what are you doing to the fuel supply?

im way looking forward to what other information i findout! i have been doing mad research and cant find to much on "diy'n" it.
im all for diy. **** im only 20 and work my ass off to fund this car lol.

for the best bang for my buck, i should go with the w58, 3sgte flywheel, 3vz clutch and Pressure Plate?

First  1 2 3 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs