Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 1UZ AE86: Barn Built on a BudgetFirst  < 1 2 3 >  Last
Author Post
Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

Re: (nicrod) » Reply  Edit

Nicrod,

I think a TE72 with a 1UZ would be awesome. To answer some of your questions;

We're using a W58 from a mkI Supra, however, your build might require a different vintage as the shifter location moves around a bit.

We're using a 3VZ flywheel from a Tacoma, but the 3SGTE flywheel is the same, both need the bolt holes elongated 1/16". But we are considering just opening the holes with an 1/8" larger bit because the file thing is taking forever. I don't know how this will effect the final product. (My unsolicited thoughts on lightened flywheels are that yes, they let the motor rev quickly and transfer HP to the wheels more directly, but I feel the rotating mass of the stock flywheel transfers power to the wheels much quicker when shifting or dumping the clutch making it a whole lot more fun and easier to break traction. Lightened flywheels have a tendency to stall the engine and make driving in traffic not so much fun. I'll take a few extra pounds and a slightly longer time to get the motor up a couple RPM for fun and driveability. The 1UZ torque curve is pretty flat so no real need for crazy high RPMs.)

The clutch and pressure plate should be the same for either flywheel, I'm leaning towards a heavy duty truck clutch because they're meant to handle a bit more torque and they are a tad cheaper.

Suspension upgrades may end up being Ground Controls in the front, we haven't decided on the rears yet, but probably AGX all around. I was considering getting rid of the anti-sway bars to increase handling for autox but that would make driving it on the street an absolute PITA, literally.

We'll probably get a Walbro 255 for fuel, I think that'll handle our fuel requirements.

Our next issue to tackle, other than wiring, is the clutch slave. We're going to use a Chevy Silverado hydraulic slave, these are the same as the Corvette slaves with slightly reduced oomph, but more than adequate for our pressure plate and about 1/4 the cost. The only concern I have is getting it shimmed right. I have no idea how we'll know if it's correct or not until we put it in the car. So, if anyone has some ideas on this I'd like to hear them.

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
91 MR2 3SGTE, it'll run someday
85 AE86 1UZFE, project car
88 FX16 GTS (x2), I have no idea what I'm doing with these cars
nicrod

128 posts [99%]
SanDiego California

Re: (Gyvven) » Reply  Edit

COOL DUDES! i cant thank you for all the info,im following this all the way, i have my trans idea down, i cant wait to see what your doing to wire it up. im thinkin a MS2 kit would do, but then thats all i know also,
im only 20 and electricals are my weakest spot so whatever you guys know i needa know to! i got on a MS forum hopefully i can learn alot there.

can wait to see this!! ill get a thread of my build started too soon

Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

I've been considering using my old MS1 unit I have for my 4age, but the effort to change it to a new spark system convinced me otherwise. We were able to pick up an older stock ECU for $20 or so at the local Upull. We need to re-pin our harness and add a cold start injector, but we were able to remove a lot of junk. I understand the electricals but I need to spend time poking at the body harness and figuring out the best alternative way of running the fuel pump.

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

» Reply  Edit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcgKzQDIM8Q

Someone say TE with 1UZ

Buckethead

1740 posts [100%]
The Middle of Nowhere MN

Re: (zudog1) » Reply  Edit

UPDATE:

The past two weekends have been dedicated to fabricating the motor mounts. We certainly took a page from Josh's 1uz build.

First, we need to lift up the 1uz and drop it in, to size up the mounts.

Using the radiator gromet as a rough sized spacer between the motor and the crossmember, we cut up some pieces of plastic, taped them together and made forms that matched each side.

Then we cut the pieces on a bandsaw from 2x2 steel square tube.

Then, using one flat end to the open-ended wedge, we welded them up!

Then, we sanded down rubber caster wheels (yep, another Joshiroku idea! Why mess with what works?!) to use as rubber isolators between mount and motor.

The crossmember requires a drop of roughly an inch and a half for aid in clearing the 1uz bellhousing. Nothing fancy required here. This is not a show car, this is most certainly a budget build. This will hold the weight just fine, it fits great between the crossmember and the car, and its easy enough to modify. Here's Jon drilling the holes to match the car.

All builds have their hiccups, and here was one of ours. In an attempt to avoid cutting the rad support on the 86, we figured we'd remove the crossmember, bolt it to the motor, lift the basically empty car high in the air, slide the motor/transmission into place and lower the car onto it. bye-bye stock sway bar!

Take it from us, it just cant be done. We reached reality after a solid effort, stopped for a beer, and did what had to be done. And yes, the transmission is bolted up, but we have yet to source a hydraulic slave, and clutch setup. That's soon to come!
With crossmember bolted back to the car, we lowered the motor and tranny into place to level it and secure the mounts.

Mounts look good, everything is straight, and the shifter is even perfectly lined up in the tunnel.

We have some wiggle-room with the washers on the mounts, and might remove 2-3 of them to get that much more room in lowering the engine. It sits level, and the bellhousing clears, but even another 1/8th of an inch could help. Overall, we're pleased with the results. Wiring is next on the list!

Modified by Buckethead at 7:10 AM 2/21/2012

1985 AE86 GTS hatch
1985 AE86 GTS hatch 1UZFE
1988 AE82 FX16 GTS (project)

---------------------
Addicted to the 80's

nicrod

128 posts [99%]
SanDiego California

» Reply  Edit

been waiting on updates!! looking good! im still tearing my engine apart for a machinist to clean up.
but soon ill be doing the exact same! thanks!!!
so no mods were done to the crossmember?? and do you by any chance know if the x7 and x8 corollas have the same xmember? i think so but imnot for sure
Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

No mods were needed on the crossmemeber.

We pulled the crossmember out, flipped the motor over on the stand and made sure everything cleared. We left just enough room to clear the steering rack mounts, used a couple peices of wood under the pan to make sure we had the same distance when we lowered the motor into the car to mock-up the mounts. As long as you have a manual rack I think you can probably skip pulling out the crossmember, just add the spacers and start fabbing.

I'm not sure what you mean by x7 and x8, but if your car had a 4age and was rwd then, yeah, they'll be similar as far as the motor mounts go. I don't know if the steering racks will be different, probably the same but I don't know.

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

» Reply  Edit

Just took a gamble; after way too much time researching what other people have used for clutch slaves I got sick of all the overpriced solutions and decided to go with a Saab. I know, if you search around you'll see folks saying the Saab 9000 is too small, and they're probably right. However, I found the Saab 900 states it has a bore of 1-25/64" which is about 1/64" larger than our input shaft collar, perfect, and for $50 I figured it might be a good solution and I'm not out tons of money if it's crap. We'll need to fab up something I'm sure, but I'm not that concerned about it, we've done alright so far.

Oh, yeah. Clutch has been ordered, too. I was talked into getting one for a 3sgte, a whole clutch kit for only slightly more than I wanted to spend on a good pressure plate. We'll provide photos and info about it after it arrives and we get to play with it. (Hint: Yay, Ebay!)

And thanks to Chris for putting up with my idea that this has to be a bare minimum budget and nothing new unless it really has to be, and for helping with all the online research. He would have been on the internet anyway but now at least he was doing something useful.

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
Kyo S.

376 posts [100%]
Soap Lake Wa

Quote, originally posted by nicrod »
and do you by any chance know if the x7 and x8 corollas have the same xmember? i think so but imnot for sure

The 83 E7 has the same crosmember and steering any rwd car with a 4A motor will... The 80-82 E7 does not they have TC Motor mounts / Crossmember and steering Box not rack n pinion..

Nice progress I look forward to further updates on your 1uz swap...

nicrod

128 posts [99%]
SanDiego California

Re: (Kyo S.) » Reply  Edit

sweet thats what i needed to know!

cant wait for more progress! this is like fortelling exactly what i have to do

corollarollas

6543 posts [90%]

» Reply  Edit

e7 e8 is just a way to cover all the t(e7)1, te71, ae71's, ae86, a(e8)6, etc...

i hope that makes sense.

so kyo is talking about the 1983 corolla with the 4a motor.

Buckethead

1740 posts [100%]
The Middle of Nowhere MN

Re: (corollarollas) » Reply  Edit

makes sense to me! i think it was just the x's that were throwing it off for me, I dunno. thanks for clearing that up bro

big updates coming this weekend I'm sure! keep watching!

1985 AE86 GTS hatch

---------------------
Addicted to the 80's

Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

Re: (Buckethead) » Reply  Edit

Update:

We got the wiring harness mostly complete, just need to mate up the plugs to the harness. I de-pinned and labelled the plugs, I think I removed 28 wires. Still need to wrap my head around the body wiring and how we're going to tie it all together. I'll give a detailed write-up of what we came up with when we get it working

I received the Saab clutch slave Friday and immediately noticed the hole in the middle was too small, about 1-1/8". I took another look at the specs online and quickly determined that "Bore size" must mean something else in Sweden since the "bore size" is stated as 1-25/64" and doesn't seem to relate to anything on the unit. I checked the specified inside diameter of the release bearing and that states a 1.52", which seems about right when looking at the unit, but it still doesn't explain what the 1-25/64" dimension is for.

Plan B will take effect next weekend; Pull the tranny and take it to the store and start asking for all the concentric slaves we can think of. But if worse comes to worse I guess I'll just have to order the Howe unit. Was hoping for a cheaper and better solution.

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
Hiko01

64 posts [100%]
Norcal ca

The Howe unit isn't being used anymore by the adapter plate manufacturers.
Bottom of the page:
http://www.quantum-auto.com/store/

Most are using an OEM GM 4th Gen Camaro hydraulic throw out bearing. Xcessive Manufacturing made a mount that can utilize a RAM # 78100 or the GM Camaro style OE bearing.

Xcessive Manufacturing does warn that the Camaro type does require you to cut the pilot sleeve from around the input shaft of the transmission where the RAM style does not.

"when people asks me what i drive i just roll my eyes and say a coupie roku DUH..." corollarollas
Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

» Reply  Edit

I thought that's what those looked like but I couldn't find information anywhere about how they were installed. I was hoping to find something that fit over the sleeve that would cost less than $100. Maybe I'll take another look at the Saab one before I send it back. The worst that'd happen is we'd have to cut the sleeve and fab up a mount for the slave.

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
Buckethead

1740 posts [100%]
The Middle of Nowhere MN

PIC UPDATES:

Here we are getting the last of the engine wiring ID'd and sorted.

Not the most exciting update, but more to come this weekend!

1985 AE86 GTS hatch

---------------------
Addicted to the 80's

Buckethead

1740 posts [100%]
The Middle of Nowhere MN

WEEKEND UPDATE:

We finished up the engine harness wiring and have the body wiring left to go! Everything seemed to go alright with the engine harness, but of course we wont know until we're ready to fire it up.

All the Pinouts on the ECU were done by Jon, because he's far more suited to tackle such a job. He just has the brain for it.

Starting to solder up the harness to the ECU pigtails!!

This picture is to prove that yes, i do more on this project than just handle the camera.

Looks like a rats nest, but i swear it all makes sense

After we completed the engine harness to ECU wiring, we decided to take a little break, have a beer and a smoke, and play with some new parts! This is where it gets a little interesting...
We picked up a Bahnhof Stage 3 clutch kit for a 3SGTE, knowing it would fit the 3VZ flywheel we scored earlier. Also ditched the idea of the Saab hydraulic throwout in favor of the RAM 78100 unit.

One of the biggest issues in doing a swap like this is relying on internet information for fitment of parts. We're simply working off what we've heard works, while attempting to maintain a reasonable budget. Sure, we could have gone with a Quarter Master brand hydraulic throwout that has documented fitment and ease of install, but thats not the point here. We want to find the best possible option for the best price. So, pulling the trigger on the RAM throwout, we felt secure. There seemed to be enough listed measurements, and a handful of people have suggested it. It also didnt break the bank.

So, test fitting the RAM throwout, we discovered it wouldnt slide over the sleeve.....NOT the result we expected! What to do when only a hairs width difference is in our way from a perfect fitting throwout? Break out the 50 grit!

Using a 50 grit belt, we started knocking down the input shaft sleeve by hand.

Trading off when we needed a drink, we finally took enough off the shaft sleeve to get a near perfect fit for the RAM. It slides on finally, and sits well. We still need to mock up a way to mount the throwout, but we're quite fond of the throwouts housing and spacing tools. What could be more simple than a system of jamnut spacing?

Then we decided to check fitment of the clutch kit on the flywheel. The pressure plate fit perfect! We took the flywheel to the motor and tried to mock it all up...here comes issue #2 for the day...

The clutch fit the flywheel as stated, but the flywheel apparently doesnt allow the room needed for the starter to engage!

Another fine example of the internet only giving us half the story. I suppose its a good thing that we're running into these problems. Now theres a paper trail of what works and what doesnt.

Now we must not only find a flywheel that can fit the crank of the 1uz allowing the starter to engage, but also allow us to use the Bahnhof 3SGTE clutch. Measurements escape me right now, but rest assured all proper details will be added. Regardless, lots of progress made, mainly on the wiring! But at least that's not hanging over our heads anymore

1985 AE86 GTS hatch

---------------------
Addicted to the 80's

nicrod

128 posts [99%]
SanDiego California

your already saving me money, i was about to pickup my flywheel. stock 3vz. do you think there is different variations of the 3vz?
Alexwaltman850

384 posts [99%]
Brookings South Dakota

i need to get you two the stuff you need to mock up the 8.8 rear soon!

Add me on Facebook (Alex Waltman), follow me on twitter (TheCreepyJesus), and take care to spike your hair! Woo Woo Woo, you know it!

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix: Crappy daily driver
1985 Corolla GTSR5: Swap in progress
2007 K2 Attack 2.0: My bike i ride everywhere., "Can't Stop! Let's go!"
Parts for sale: http://forums.club4ag.com/zeropost?id=23&cmd=fshow

Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

As you can see in the pictures the back center of the flywheel needs to taken down about 1/4" or so to get it to engage the starter. however there's a lip on the back outer edge that only has about 3/16" clearance to the motor and would need to be knocked down as well, then the holes need to be opened up, then the friction face needs resurfacing... Just too much work to make it a good option at this point. I may look into pricing to get it machined just to see how much it'd cost, but it may be cheaper to get a re-worked 3sgte flywheel from one of the vendors. I've been trying to source one locally but I'm not having much luck. I guess we could try the 1MZ flywheel. I wonder if a GR flywheel might work? I haven't seen anyone mention looking at one, yet.

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
nicrod

128 posts [99%]
SanDiego California

and we cant just extend the starters rod that comes out can we?
Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

I don't know. I've never dismantled a starter so I'm not sure what's possible. It looks like there's room on the end of the starter shaft to play with but I'm not sure how it's all attached. I'm certainly not above doing some creative welding to make it work.

An interesting side note: People have been trying to get Fidanza to make a flywheel for the 1UZ, a quick search reveals they already have one that can be had between $400-500, #130081 made for the 98-09 Land Cruiser. (There's also a Ralco RZ Performance RZ30081 that is about $350-400.) It fits the 2UZ and the 3UR motors, but I believe they are the same PCD as the 1UZ so it should fit. No idea what clutch works with it, though. Now, if I could only find a stock flywheel, because I like having the extra rotating mass, and theoretically it'll be cheaper.

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
driftcraziiiii

156 posts [100%]
Westernnnnn NE

looking good man! keep up the good work! Once you get the bugs sorted out and what works and what doesn't... I might pick me up a 1uz hahaha not for a while though. gotta finish my 4agze project first.

Go eat your emotions.
Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

Re: flywheel and clutch slave update » Reply  Edit

Flywheel:
I tracked down a 3sgte flywheel from the MR2OC.com forums for a reasonable price, including a fairly decent clutch. I then ordered a 13/32" centercutting end mill from Use-Enco.com to elongate the holes. The size is slightly smaller than the stock holes, but only slightly, the bolts go through just fine.

I would like to point out that I did not need any special tools other than a good sized drill press and a good dose of WD-40 (as a machining lubricant). Since this is a centercutting bit it allows you to do plunge cuts without it wandering like a drill bit when you're overlapping another hole, therby not putting any lateral loads on the drill press bearings.

I used the backing plate from the the 1UZ as a guide with a 1-3/16" 1/2" drive socket in the center hole to hold everything straight. Save this backing plate as you'll need it behind the flywheel. I'm also going to bring the flywheel in for balancing, I might even check into cryo-ing for added safety.

We started filing the teeth on the ring gear so the starter will engage properly. I think I got about 20 teeth done of the 120 so far. Not sure how much needs to come off, but I figured it only needs a small ramp to work, I guess we'll see.

Clutch Slave:
After getting the flywheel and clutch mounted we took some measurements from the back of the motor to the release fingers, ours measured about 2-7/8". Following the install directions for the Ram 781000 we need 1/8" gap between the release bearing and the fingers. We bodged up a 1/2" spacer that would fit over the shaft between the slave and the shoulder. This gave us a hair over 2-15/16" from the bearing to the face of the bellhousing, or just over 1/16" clearance. I'd recommend using a series of spacers to get you up to 7/16", so that you can easily remove 1 or 2 as your clutch wears and the fingers start to rise a bit.

If you look at the install directions there's a picture that says the nuts on top of the slave are optional, so we don't need to bolt this down we only need to keep it from spinning. We replaced the upper right cover bolt with a longer bolt that allowed us to put a nut on the bottom threads to hold the cover on and was long enough to hold the slave in place. This isn't ideal, but I don't think it's going to hurt anything.

I still need to get some stainless steel brake line to hook up to the master and to provide a remote bleeder. Anyone know of a good place to get bulk line and what size? I was thinking about getting one size larger because the Ram slave says it uses a 3/4" master and ours is 13/16". I don't know how that will effect the slave, if it will blow the seals or push it beyond it's 1/2" stroke.

I'll try and get more pics later, I think Chris has them.

Modified by Gyvven at 11:44 AM 3/19/2012

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
nicrod

128 posts [99%]
SanDiego California

» Reply  Edit

is it alive yet!?
Gsxrjosh

302 posts [98%]
West Valley City Ut

btw on the 7mgte flywheel some are 6bolt some are 8bolt. and did you get the starter extended yet?

Following this build close, got nearly all the pieces for mine currently. just need clutch/flywheel/throwout figured out waiting to see how u got the starter situation resolved.

Keep it up boys

GTSR5 Build thread - http://forums.club4ag.com/zero...age=1

Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

Re: (Gsxrjosh) » Reply  Edit

We've been distracted by other projects (around the house) and other commitments, so not much has happened over the past month, but here's a small update of things we've done and found out:

The starter issue was resolved by getting a 3SGTE flywheel. After elongating the holes the teeth on the motor side need to be filed with an angle for proper starter engagement. We'll need to get pics of the flywheel bolted up, it fits perfectly and you can get them cheap from the MR2 forums. You still need the spacer from the 1UZ ring gear to offset the flywheel from the motor a little bit.

Clutch lines - I'm ordering 6 feet of bulk 3/16" SS braided lines with -4AN connectors. The master cylinder uses an M10x1.0 male connector, but I haven't found a 90 degree adapter for M10x1.0 to -4AN and I'm not sure if a 90 degree hose end with a straight adapter will clear, it should but there's only one way to find out.

Wiring - this the current problem area. I thought I understood how to hook these up, but when we started trying to hook the engine harness to the body harness we came across a few head scratchers. I don't have my notes handy but here's some of what I recall;
- B+ and B1+ need to have a wire run from the black plug under the fuse box in the engine bay to pin 7 of the connector on the passenger side kick panel junction box. (don't worry this will be fully documented later when we know it works.)
- MREL - I think we can get by without having this connected. We'll find out soon enough.
- IGSW - Might be able to get away with not using this but I need to study the schematics and determine if this does anything that the AE86 body harness doesn't already do.

- Batt - one of the wires that connects to the big connector on the firewall (called plug "C" in the Toyota wiring book.)

- There's probably a half dozen wires that need to be sorted and connected to the big fat connector on the firewall and a couple other places.

I currently have the wiring harness and a few plugs with generous pigtails at home so I can start getting it buttoned up. The plan is to hook up the harness and ECU, no motor, and see if we get signal where and when we expect to. Then get the motor in and finish the starter and alternator hookups and see if we can get it to turn over and produce spark.

The To-Do list is still pretty long but I think some of it can be put off until we're running. The list includes
- Exhaust - going to use the stock LS manifolds until we have time and money to fav up some headers. We'll plan the rest of the exhaust around the future expansion, so we'll probably have a B pipe or something to make up the distance where we plan to use 4-1 collectors.
-Suspension - planning on going with Ground Controls up front and, maybe, a coilover conversion in back. Spring rates need to be determined but there's tons of info out there so I'm not worried. Might need to use stiffer springs in front because we got rid of the anti-sway bar so the crank pulley (harmonic dampener) had room. I haven't found any solid info on the spring rate for the stock sway bars and if people still use them when they put in the 6k front and 4k rears (IIRC).
- Rear axle - still planning on using the Ford Explorer 8.8 and we still need to make a jig from the GTS rear before it goes to it's new home. Future ideas may be using a Mustang or LTD rear axle and convert it to 31 spline (or see if the 27, or was it 28?, spline can hold up) or trying the Ford 7.5 which is being used in the Monster Miata conversions (as seen on Stacy David's Gearz, Banshee project). Apparently the 7.5 is robust enough to handle all kinds of torque.
-Seats - I don't think the milk crates will hold up to track abuse.
-Wheels - because driving on rotors is never a good idea. Will probably start with 5 lug in the back and stock 4 lug up front. Might take some spare hubs and redrill to 5 lug. Eventually I want to squeeze my StarQuest rims in there but the offsets are crazy deep and I'll probably end up needing to cut the fenders and adding some really fat flares, I guess we'll see.

Well, I think that's enough for now. We're always open to suggestions and free donor parts, like an AFM.

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
mxracer

244 posts [100%]
Minot ND

Just as a random chip-in, the 3vz clutches are tough. My mom got like 110k out of the first clutch in our 4runner pulling a camper around every summer, and I've put another 70k on that thing with some pretty serious abuse, and the 2nd clutch is still strong as ****.
Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

Re: (mxracer) » Reply  Edit

Unexpectedly got a car day yesterday. Sweet!

We finished getting the engine wiring hooked into the body. I've been told it's an easy thing to do... Right. We made a few guesses and assumptions and we won't really know if we're right until we get the motor back in. If it works I'll post a solid write-up. I'm hoping to get some info from more experienced folk to confirm what we've done.

Surprisingly there weren't very many connections to make. From memory here are the wires we hooked up;
AE86 Main Relay, Ignition 2, Starter, Tach, Temp gauge, Batt, W (check engine warning light), Back-up switch, and Oil pressure (not hooked up yet but we left it in place for when we get the motor in). We didn't have a complete AE86 harness to pull the plug (C dot in the book) for the wiper so we still need to connect those wires. I just remembered we forgot to hook up the fuel pump wiring in that plug, but it should be simple enough to take care of.

We also put the dash back in. I wonder why we pulled it out in the first place?

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
mikeyee

1697 posts [96%]
Fremont ca

» Reply  Edit

starion front struts or s13 front suspension for 5 lug awesomeness?

http://about.me/myee

Mike Yee's Corolla resource page: https://sites.google.com/site/ncalae86/resources-1

First  < 1 2 3 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs