Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 1UZ AE86: Barn Built on a BudgetFirst  < 2 3   Last
Author Post
Buckethead

1740 posts [100%]
The Middle of Nowhere MN

» Reply  Edit

Not that a lot of detail can be gathered from these pictures, I figure an image update is in order from our wiring this past weekend.

Piping the loom through the firewall

Making sense of 86-LS400 ECU inside the car

Always cracks me up how roomy an 86 hatch looks, when it's gutted!

New home for a new brain

Dash reassembly

Productive weekend for sure! Seems like there's still quite a bit to go, especially if this car is supposed to be ready to tackle a roadtrip in 2-3 months...

More to come!
clutch line
tranny brace
rear end
drive shaft
oil lines / cooler
radiator hoses and mounts
exhaust
seats
suspension

............to name a few!

1985 AE86 GTS hatch
1985 AE86 GTS hatch 1UZFE
1988 AE82 FX16 GTS (project)

---------------------
Addicted to the 80's

driftcraziiiii

156 posts [100%]
Westernnnnn NE

Re: (Buckethead) » Reply  Edit

Ahhhh yes the joyous time of wiring! If I do another swap I'm just going to tear the harness apart and make sure no one has "messed" anything up. That's a headache and a half! Looking good fellas!!!!!!! Keep the updates rolling!

Go eat your emotions.
nicrod

128 posts [99%]
SanDiego California

Re: (driftcraziiiii) » Reply  Edit

hows it comin?!?!
Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

Re: (nicrod) » Reply  Edit

Slowly, very slowly. The warm weather has brought with it demands on my time and I'm only really able to go up and work on it one day a month.

However last Saturday we did make some progress;

Finished filing the angle on the flywheel so the starter won't jam.
Hooked up the steering column to the lowered rack. (it fits but it's a bit of a struggle.)
The clutch, throw-out and tranny had their final touches (mostly getting the SS clutch lines finished and installed, which we did last time).
Got the motor and tranny mated up.
Put the exhaust manifolds on (more on this below).
Installed motor and tranny to fab up tranny mount (we learned we aren't blacksmiths.)

This was the first time we tried to install the motor with the stock exhaust manifolds bolted in place. The right side would work but the left hits the steering shaft. Looks like we'll be calling Josh's friend and ordering up a set of manifolds.

Also, I think, if we raise the motor a little bit we might be able to get the stock oil filter on, since we don't have the anti-sway bar there to hinder it. The frame is really close and we didn't have enough room to get the filter on with the motor lowered in place. So maybe it'll fit if we can get in place before we get the motor on the mounts. We may just do this until I can get the last 2 fittings for the oil filter relocation kit and get them in the adapter plate Chris made. I really just want to get the thing hooked up so we can test our electrics and see if it'll start.

The to-do list seems to be getting smaller, we only really have to do:
Fuel pump and lines
Radiator mounts
Tranny mount
Drive shaft
Ford Exploder rear end
Exhaust manifolds
Then it's just getting the seats back in and wheels on.

We could be finished by now but time and distance are really hampering things. And I'll admit a lot of time has been wasted waiting for parts, waiting for money for parts, drinking beer and generally dinking around. It'll be another week before I can get back up there and see any more progress.

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
91 MR2 3SGTE, it'll run someday
85 AE86 1UZFE, project car
88 FX16 GTS (x2), I have no idea what I'm doing with these cars
Gsxrjosh

302 posts [98%]
West Valley City Ut

Re: (Gyvven) » Reply  Edit

REVIVE! any updates?

GTSR5 Build thread - http://forums.club4ag.com/zero...age=1

Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

Re: (Gsxrjosh) » Reply  Edit

I'm ashamed to say that the project has been sitting on hold for a while. I've only been able to spend a day or two each month working on car stuff, and we have way too many projects going on. However, we're planning to get back at the v8 swap very soon because Chris wants it rolling and out of the barn to make room for another project. And I'd like to be able to use the paint booth again.

Here's a couple of the things we've been playing with;
Project AE-82 Brute (get it, et tu Brute?) or FX20 - putting a 20v in the FX16, needs plumbing.
Project *sigh* Damien (lic plate is 666) - AW11 gets a new motor, fired up sunday.
Project Mortie ("I am Muerte") - free Monte Carlo had a "blown head gasket" turns out it just needed a water pump. It's back on the road.
Project TuRD (Toyota Urban Racing Development) - turbo swap nearly ready, just a few more parts. At least it runs and drives.

There's more but we've been rather ADD hopping from one project to another, I'm surprised we got the Monte rolling in a day. Anyway, we'll keep you guys posted of the progress on the v8 swap as soon as we actually do something.

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

Re: Progress! » Reply  Edit

At last! We're back to working on the 1UZ swap. Sunday we got to work on the Ford Explorer rear axle. We cut off the brackets, measured and cut the driver's side tube down to the same length as the passenger side. We cut it down 2-7/8". This will give us about an inch of poke on either side, from what I remember. I'll verify the measurements and try and find my notes from when I started researching it. I think the Explorer rear is 59.5" - 2-7/8" = 56-5/8" at the wheel mounting surface. I can't recall what the corolla is at the moment, but I want to say it's about 54.5". Correct me if I'm wrong.

The whole thing weighed about 200 lbs before we cut everything off, and it was fairly managable when it was stripped, but putting the axles back in and bolting it back up it seemed to weigh about 150 lbs, but we didn't have a scale to verify it.

Now it's just a matter of fabbing up the AE86 brackets and spring hats, unless we decide it's easier to go with struts and coilovers.

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
Gyvven

30 posts [100%]
Golden Valley MN

Re: Progress! » Reply  Edit

Here's a quick outline of what we did to cut it down:

We found a fairly clean spot that allowed us to put a large hose clamp around the tube. This gave us a decent guide while we were cutting with the sawzall. We placed this at the outer end, 12-15/16". It would have been 13" but we subtracted the width of the blade.

The next cut we moved in 2-7/8", no need to subtract the blade width again since we were cutting on the scrap side.

Put the end in place, put the axle through it and verify the length.

Pull it off and grind a chamfer around both cuts so the weld has something to grab onto.

Put it all back together and make sure the caliper mounts match the other side. we used a level on a flat spot of each of the caliper mounts and got it pretty close.

Use a few peices of angle clamped to the sides spanning the cut to hold the end as straight as possible. We would have used a long peice of pipe but didn't have one the same size as the bearings. But with the axle in place and the angle clamped on I think it worked pretty well.

Tack it in a couple places and verify it's straight and the right length.

Weld the snot out of it.

Grind it down to verify you didn't leave any pockets or pits and got good penetration.

Drink beer. This is a very important part of working on any car project and should never be overlooked. Judicious application of alcoholic beverages lubricates the cognitive areas of the brain.

87 MR2 4AGE, Racecar!
87 MR2, donor
gbogho

204 posts [100%]
Goose Creek SC

Re: Progress! (Gyvven) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Gyvven »

Drink beer. This is a very important part of working on any car project and should never be overlooked. Judicious application of alcoholic beverages lubricates the cognitive areas of the brain.

I have also found this last step to be very helpful when working!

Glad to see forward progress, this gets me motivated to work on my car.

Sylvester- 1985 Corolla GT-S silver
 First  < 2 3   Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs