Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 MY 1987 SR5 DD buildFirst  1 2 3 >  Last
Author Post
BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

MY 1987 SR5 DD build Reply  Edit

New guy, but i figured a good way to get to know everyone is do a build thread. Little info about me, I'm 23, live in Sun City CA and have had about 5 mustangs, so this is my first import. I will also ask some pretty noobish questions in this thread, so discussion is welcome.

I bought the car on 12/28/11 for 400 with a blown head gasket. Originally teal, its been rattle canned white, and has an original black interior. Supra rims and lowered.

Pics:

12/29/11

got to work stripping the interor, smelled pretty musky inside! I'm also gonna redo my janky stereo wiring and use my old sony tape deck for a more period correct interior. and cause tapes are cool.

A smoker had the car at one point, the headliner was really dirty, and the insulation underneath stank! I recently got a shampooer to clean fabric, so this is gonna be its first test, cleaning the seats and carpet.

I also found a haynes manaul, i think the car wants to be fixed :lol!:

Speaking of stuff i found, what are these?

and i found these connectors in the engine bay where the battery is, what are they supposed to be connected too?

update 12/30/11

Got the head off the engine, moving right along.

looks like I have a new carb, it sure is clean and silver, nothing sticks too

more ovaltine please!

head off

underside.

update 1/6/2012

interor is clean and mostly in, i lost a lot of screws ops: i also need a new driver side belt. but atleast it doesnt smell bad on the inside now. still gonna re-vaccum and re-clean when the caris done

now onto the engine. here is a pciture of each cylinder

i have a feeling there done?

and i was also underneath the car, how does a flex plate(i think thats what its called) gets bent?

i have a feeling I will be yaning the engine now :no:

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

Which brings us to the present. I have decided I want to do a 7AC, since it seems relativity straight forward, and the added power would be nice. Soon I will be getting an engine hoist and engine stand so I can yank out the old junk engine. I'll be crusing the the classifieds here to find the 7A engine, or perhaps even another 4A, budget is a big concern, and so is time, I wan the car driving around march. I am keeping it a poky single cam, since this is really just going to be a smogable DD, my other project/track car has to go to a "special" smog shop, I dont need two cars having to go there.
BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

As for plans for everything else, It all depends on getting the car moving. Once Its driveable, I can see what else needs to get fixed. It looks like someone wanted to make it a drift car, I hope they did not weld the diff. The steering rake does need new boots and a flush, and For some reson my car is missing the AC compressor. Once all the needs are done, its time for wants. I want to re-paint the car in the classic panda black and white, paint the wheels either silver/black/white. I want to tint the windows, get yellow fogs and a black ducktail spoiler. The car has a non stock muffler, so when the car runs, I'll have to see how it sounds. If it sounds ok, i'll just get a nicer tip for it. I'm kinda happy the suspension seems to be done, megan springs and the shocks are still good
BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

Now long term, when I'm done with school (this car is getting built up as a DD for grad-school mostly) I would like to do a weber car, double valve springs and a new cam shaft, the old single cam A engine seems to respond well, would make the car more fun :D
Taks86

2048 posts [99%]
Hell

Re: (BlackStar87) » Reply  Edit

Good progress so far, keep it up!
~Mike

1986 RHD AE86 Levin coupe
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
2012 Impreza (base) (the gf's)
2013 BRZ
BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

update 1/14/2012

yesterday i started on yanking out the engine, it was a pain, took me till today to get it off! but now the junk engine and transmisson are out of the car

new engine hoist

the owner before used straight water for coolant, look at all that muck!

all cleaned up

gettin the **** out

wink

I noticed on the heater core outlets, i'm missing one Can i just get a large screw in fitting, and screw it into that hole? I do want a working heater

and I have this old Formuling steering wheels i have had for a few years. Is there an adapter hub to use it on an AE86?

now time to search for a shortblock

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

got a second late update, I got my 7A shortblock. not great pics, but the cylinders look great! engine is dirty though, and needs a good cleaning

I also got a GTS block and a partical GTS longblokc for free, thouhg I am told the lonblock needs to be re-bult.

my A series family

I have loads of 7A questions now, i'll post them up tomorrow

yellowsnow4free

303 posts [100%]

Looking good!

A SR5 owner myself, I'm looking forward to seeing the 7AC built and installed

Cutting up an AE86? Please me know! I need body panels!

Petition to Reinstate the CA 30 Year Smog Exemption

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

got an update, started taking apart the head. I want to clean it out as best as possible, dont want any of that old junk oil to be chillin in there. What are the torque specs for everything on the head. I have a haynes manaul, but they aren't always the most reliable. I dont have a picture showing it, but I am taking everything off the head. The rocker are out, the cam is out, and when i get a valve spring tool, the valves too. I am also gonna buy a full head gasket set, make sure everything is replaced now since the engine is out of the car.

I have a question on the distributor. this is where i think TDC for piston one is on the dizzy, is this correct? Keep in mind, where i have it marked with the tape, that's the only place where i could mark it, i think the dizzy might have been stabbed in wrong. anyone shed some light?

Speaking of the engine, I'm a but nervous to show this, but could this be a problem?

cylinder 1

cylinder 4

The shortblock turns over my hand smoothly, and numbers 2 and 3 dont have these markings. I picked up this shortblock from a guy on club4ag, and i recall the engine being uncovered. is this just some light surface rust that will go away? The piston rings seem fine, i pored oil into the cylinders, and close to none of it drained out. I tried to search for other images like mine, but i haven't found a thing. I don't have the money/ time for a complete rebuild, but i dont want to have a junker smoking short block. any input? I'm ok with 1 and 4 not being the best, at least acceptable compression and reliable.

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

so it looks like i have piston ring scroging, whatever that is. what it really means is it will have to be taken to a shopped and bored out, since the marks in number 4 are noicable by touch. So i'm gonna have to think about my options. recall I got two other engine too. a bare 4a block, and a 4ag block with a bare head. did some diggin and found the add for the parts i bought. aparantly the bare block is cleaned and ready to go. the rotating assembly in the 4ag need new piston rings presumably. see where i'm going? An i like the look of erics carb'd 7age build.

catch my drift yet?

on a more technical question, any way to check if bearring are bad? i was thinking about filling the the engine with oil, turnning it over/let is soak, and see if an bearing material comes out. Hw hard are piston rings to install?

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

I would bore out the 7a block, get new 4AG pistons, and put the 4AG head on it. But that's just what I would do (did). If the 7a block is too far gone, then just pick which of your 4a blocks is cleaner and build off that.
BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

Re: (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

I actually gave you a reply on 4acpowered. I think I'm gonna do both! the 7ag will be a while down the road though
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Yeah we're following each other around lol. Replied in 4AC-P BTW. I'm doing the opposite. Now my 7AGE is done, I have a spare big port head and 4AC bottom, so I'm going to build a 4AGE spare.
BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

update. did a lot of wokr, but not much progress :x

cleaned and checked out my spare 4A block, yup, it needs to go to a machine shop, couple of marks on the cylinder walls. atleast its already stripped, and thye aren't that bad(compared to my other blocks).

kinda bummed, but wait, theres more. my idea was touse the rotating assembly from the 4ag blokc i had. Pulled of the head, and went to town. First time digging into an engine this far, was not that hard, expect for those ***** crank pullies! still havent gotten them off. Anywho, tore it down, and the news just kept on getting better

thought it was two, but on further inspection

yup, but still got one survivor!

the crank is good though, and the bearings were good, no scoring

but i couldnt get that ***** pulley off. I'll have to clamp it down, drown it in pb blaster and get a pulley puller

And the 4AG block needs a lot of work, less then my 4ac, but it isnt pretty

So i decided to yank aprat the 4AC engine to see if i could use those pistions. thye are all fine, but i dont like how the piston doesnt move back and forth on the rod easily. The 4AG pistons moved easily on the rod, the 4AC pistons not nearly as muhc, porably a bunch of gunk oil and rust freezing them up. The crank looks ok though. I gave up after getting the psitons out, so i havent taken the crank out, no real point.

so, did a lot of work, and just ended up further back from getting this car done

some random pcis

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Wait wait wait.... Those jacked up pistons came out of the 4AGE engine that the guy said all it needs is piston rings!!!?!?!?!?!?!???!?!??!!?!??! Man that suuuuucks! I'd give you my good enough 4AC bottom end if you weren't so far away.
BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

Re: (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

well, techinically it does need new rings
BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

small update. sent off my block, crank and pistons/rods to get machined and ready to go. also am getting a full rebuild kit. till then, gotta catch up in school
BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

small update, new shoes. stock 13 sr5 wheels with tires. the tires have some cracking, but nothing major. I like the look of them way better then the orange celicas.

i may rattle can the hood white tomorrow after i clean up some rust i found on a wheel well. someone did a bad job at fender rolling, the paint cracked in the process

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

thinking@taking the AC system out. The compressor is missing, and I'm not so of the condition of everything else, or that I even have everything else. I can see the accumulator and the exhanger(part infront of the radiator) and the lines. just about it lol
BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

gonna be working on some interior projects, i'll be posting them up in about 2 weeks. They are gonna be dash repair and interior part repair on a budget, kind of a how to for ballers on a budget.

and I am thinking about taking out the A/C system on my car. In the first post i had a picture of some unused connectors, and I think I have found out for what, the A/C compressor. Its missing. I have the accumulator, the lines, the exchanger (part in front of the radiator) and an unused idler pulley. I'm not sure if the rest of the A/C system works however, hence why I am thinking about taking it out, who knows how long those lines have been exposed to the open elements in the engine bay.

I also am gonna start thinking about tuning the little 4-AC, which is new territory for me. I want to tune for maximum economy and reliability. How do i do it? (<----total noooob) I really want to start thinking about the mpg/technical side of this build now. The goal is to have a high mpg car that is still fun to drive, like say if I find that one road, I won't feel like I am in the wrong car.

Appearance wise, I am starting to figure out what I want. I used to be an eco-modder back when gas spiked in 2008, and the clouds are darkening again. I was talking to the dude I got the wheels from, and was amazed to learn how much the usdm bumpers weigh. I want to do the japanese front bumper, kouki, and maybe the japanese rear. However, i trust my braking ability, not whoever is behind me, and i know the american bumpers can take a hit. I also want to go with the f1 style side mirrors, since it will reduce drag, the stock mirrors are rather big. I'll probably keep the sr5 wheels, they are narrow, or maybe a steelie with a similar bolt pattern in a size 14, not to many tire selections for 13'' wheels anymore

Dr3aMyS0b

149 posts [100%]
AMESBURY MA

Nice build! As for the bumpers you can get yourself a tubing bender or use someones to make a brushguard type device out of tubing that goes behind JDm or aftermarket bumpers for support like the drifters do.
woofsae86

4435 posts [94%]
Im a GSD. ca

i stay back and fourth in menifee hit me up sometime.

Can Furries Drift????? the world may never know !!!!

86 ae86 gts hatch- Never ending project
93 civic ferio - Sold
85 sr5 hatch (part out)

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

Been busy, got the head stripped down and sent off to be cleaned. Been working on two how twos, one for interior part repair, the other for dashboard repair. I'll write up the part repair one soon since its almost done. debating if i want to take it further. The dashboard one is taking some time, and I'm afraid my dash vinyl my be too far gone, almost all of it is dead and brittle

sure, i'm down to meet up woofsae86

and nice to know i can make bumper supports for the japanese bumpers

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

And I think this weekend i will begin my engine build up finally, and just in time for rising gas prices lol! just gonna be a little 4ac, bored over 30 over. just a cool DD. I also have a new clutch and a full poly bushing kit on the way. I am figuring my tall 70 series tires will help soften up the ride.

speaking of my wheels, anyone know where to find the center caps for my style? I am also just thinking about painting the wheels all glossy black

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

build threads are no fun with pcitures, plus i have almost all of my engine parts back. tomorrow i get my crank pistons and rods. gonna have a real franksetien 4a. 4ac 30 over pistons, 4ag crank and 30 over 4ag block. got a full rebuild kit and clutch, some other parts and i have a full poly suspension bushing kit on the way. i also have a few pcis of my interior repair projects which i am gonna make into a how to. They are gonna be extensive dash repair and interior part repair. on with the pictures!

mine was broken in half, figure it would be a good subject for my how too

and how my dash was

currently in process

though it was funny, my exedy clutch for one of my old mustangs didn't have the illustrated instructions

I'll start the building this weekend hopefully, I don't want to rush the build, but after taking 3 of these engines apart, they are really simple and fun!

Modified by BlackStar87 at 7:21 PM 3/2/2012

yellowsnow4free

303 posts [100%]

Re: MY 1987 SR5 DD build (BlackStar87) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by BlackStar87 »

I'm looking forward to the dash DIY

What are you doing with the instrument cluster surround?

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

Re: MY 1987 SR5 DD build (yellowsnow4free) » Reply  Edit

mine was broken in half, so i fixed it. still sint perfect, i may fill the crcksa and respray it, but then i looks the text on the control panel. And i'm not fmaialar with the control layout yet
yellowsnow4free

303 posts [100%]

Re: MY 1987 SR5 DD build (BlackStar87) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by BlackStar87 »
mine was broken in half, so i fixed it. still sint perfect, i may fill the crcksa and respray it, but then i looks the text on the control panel. And i'm not fmaialar with the control layout yet

Ah, I see.

What are you planning on filling it with? (if you decide to go that route) I've been thinking about repainting my cluster surround to, but losing the text on it has stopped me from doing so too.

If the text surface is flat, I've been thinking about trying to scan the area and maybe make some stickers.

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

time to give this an update, been busy here are some engine build pics

30 over 4ac psitons

waiting for the head

red oil pan, bit dinged up but structural fine

Finally have started putting the engine together, but I can't finish yet, lost 1 valve spring retainer, and they are near impossibly to find. However, i got another on the way, which gave me some free time......

so I decided to do some suspension work, full polyuerthane bushing set up. got the front done today, and pulled the rear suspesnion for the new bushings. this stuff it tough!

lotta little prothane boxes lol

don't worry, its all on jack stands

new bushings

I must not know my own strength, i broke apart the drivers side tie rod end, just plain gave up. At least it gave up while on jack stands, and not on the road

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

haven't updated in a while, and today was a big bump in the road.

To bring everyone up to speed, i have done a full poly bushing replacement on all of the suspension components, and found an interesting way of pushing them out. This is how i got my old rubber out.

my old 4ac engine block and a main cap bolted down

worked like a charm

my engine is pretty much done

and i got my 8 bolt flywheel. however this has turned into a real headache.

it was not a GTS flywheel. Its a supercharged 4ag flywheel. It made my life a living hell. My clutch kit wont bolt to it, nor will a normal GTS version. I had autozone order my a supercharged clutch kit, and I really hope it works. Way to unhappy today, I was really hoping to get the car running this weekend. looks like next.

anyone have 8 flywheel bolts?

First  1 2 3 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs