Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 MY 1987 SR5 DD buildFirst  < 1 2 3 >  Last
Author Post
ae86dood

508 posts [90%]
South San Francisco CA

» Reply  Edit

nice build.. but that s/c 4agze flywheel is not gonna fit in the t50 bell housing, because the the flywheel is too big. are you sure its a gze flywheel. theres 6 legs that stick up from the flywheel its not a regular flush flywheel.

-ed

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

Re: (ae86dood) » Reply  Edit

pretty sure its a gze flywheel, bought it from a guy on here wiht a gze powered ae86. its also physically smaller then my sr5 flywheel

unless someone wants to trade flywheels?

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (BlackStar87) » Reply  Edit

Smaller diameter?
BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

Re: (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

I'm starting to get a bad feeling in my stomach.....

i did a measure, the S/C fltwheel has a diameter fo 10.5 inches, the stock sr5 has a diameter of 10.75 inches. the sr5 flywheel does have a groove around the outside however

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Won't work. That means the starter won't engage the flywheel. Try again man.

UNLESS the drive gear on an SR5 starter is different from a GTS. Which would mean flywheels are specific to starters, but I have never heard of that.

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

and it looks like i'm stuck with the damn flywheel too. dude wont buy it back. saying i asked for a 4ag flywheel, and that's what he sold

****, i really hate care people

woofsae86

4435 posts [94%]
Im a GSD. ca

i have a 4ag flywheel bro.

Can Furries Drift????? the world may never know !!!!

86 ae86 gts hatch- Never ending project
93 civic ferio - Sold
85 sr5 hatch (part out)

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

Re: (woofsae86) » Reply  Edit

4ag, as in 4age? I'm down, when do you want to meet up?
woofsae86

4435 posts [94%]
Im a GSD. ca

i have to get it from my room mate up north and its from a 4age.

93 civic ferio - Sold
85 sr5 hatch (part out)

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

out of curiosity, how long would that take? I think i want to shoot for having the power train in the car this coming weekend
woofsae86

4435 posts [94%]
Im a GSD. ca

i can have it shipped down by this week bro.

93 civic ferio - Sold
85 sr5 hatch (part out)

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

cool, let me send you a message tomorrow on here
ae86dood

508 posts [90%]
South San Francisco CA

Re: (ae86dood) » Reply  Edit

If it was a gze powered86 than he had to of used the 200mm flywheel.

200mm flywheels came on early bluetops ae86 and early fwd ae82/92
212mm flywheels came on later redtops and ae92 and aw11

GZE flywheels came in 224mm and 230mm those cannot physically fit in a T50 bell.

-ed

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

now i'm getting all confused

i measured the flywheel i have, its at 10 1/2 inches, which is over 266 millimeters.

how does that work?

or where am i supposed to measure from?

regardless, it doesnt work with an sr5 or a gts pressure plate

ae86dood

508 posts [90%]
South San Francisco CA

would be clutch disc diameter. 200mm is a 7.87 inches or a 8in clutch

-ed

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

» Reply  Edit

ah, understood, the center section where the clutch contacts the flywheel
BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

bump 5/25/2012, time for a real update.

the car is almost done!

that trans is heavy!

firs time i have seen it lowered on the 13's. i like them, gonna keep them. I want find the center caps, then paint the inside of the wheel white

but i have one problem holding me up from starting the car up, vacuum line. The haynes manual isn't clear enough, and some stuff i have just isnt there. My biggest problem area is the passenger side, this is where i am stuck:

mainly hear, and anything having to do here

I can find nothing about this part that i have circled in orange

not as lost, but still confused

haynes only has a picture for the early CA cars, mine is a later, so most of the stuff is changed

and an in general picture

Think anyone could snap some picture for me, mainly in the areas i have posted above? Would like to get the car running tomorrow before my trip to japan.

moglie88

312 posts [100%]
palmdale ca

Looking good goodluck on ur build I couldnt be much help since I dont have a sr5 would go n try to help but ur Hella far not really but if I had time I would
touge_g35

1779 posts [98%]
lancaster ca

» Reply  Edit

Ask oldschool86, he has an SR5 at the moment, I have gogosquirrels SR5 as well but the soonest I'll be able to get a snapshot of the motor is this coming weekend.
I'll get oldschool to take a snapshot of it for ya.

My wolfpack
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=101082

My website, click on this link for my motor sports photography samples.
http://www.likhoun.com

troll_Novice

3 posts [100%]
SOCAL CA

thedux

36 posts [100%]
Chino California

did you get the lines takin care of man? did my advice help about the federal setup or w.e.... My car passed smog and it was like that dont forget to adjust timing and rocker arm / carb
fin ~ entropy

20 posts [100%]
southern california ca

old overhead view of my engine bay....

and side view....

hope this helps.
BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

Re: (thedux) » Reply  Edit

sort of fogot about this thread because....

I got it running! yay for me. but my torubles arent over. I am having my first problem with ignition timing, it way to advanced! i got a timing light and checked, it was around 15 degrees btdc. This may explain the problems i was having when i tired to drive it, it was advancing even further to accelerate.

but its turned into a pain in the ass! I tried rotating the distributor, but all it did was advance it further, i couldnt retard it. i figured the rotor was a tooth off, so i restabed the dizzy in. It wouldnt run at all. Took it apart and saw that the timing was wayoff

I am really pissed now. I have no clue how to install the dizzy, anyone have picture of what it should look like when it is properly installed? Reading just is not cutting it, i need a visual.

re stabbed it in, and now it is running retarted, fully advancing the distributor it now runs a few degrees after tdc. So, if i were to pull out the dizzy again, i would be money. but which way should i turn the rotor. i have the two marks lined up on the rotor shaft and dizzy, but i have no idea how the distributor should be bolted onto the head so i can change the timing

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

just a small update, got the car on the correct timing, and now the oil pressure gauge is on tjhe fritz. Did some searching, sounds pretty common for a 20+ year old gauge to go crazy. I'll rent a mechanical oil pressure gauge to see where its at, then forget about it. It used sit in the middle, and go to the 3/4 mark when the engine reved. Not it usually sits above the L and goes about to the 1/4 mark. no bad noises, and the gauge sometimes likes to do a full sweep when the car is set to "ON" wiht the car off. Weird. Today I'll proably do some cleaning up. I also think my tachometer need is off. My digital multi meter can check rpm, and when it says its doing 800rpm, the cars tach shows closer to 1500rpm. i may rent another multimeter to see which is right, though another 4ac 86 my be better to compare it too. anyone wanna come over and chill, i got beer n soda
BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

update 8/12/2012. Did some under hood and electrical cleaning. products used:

my engine bay:

scrubbed those off to read the tags

A good stopping point for today, still have to do the firewall and hood

I also think i found out my my oil pressure gauge reads so odd now. The wire connected to the sender on the blokc was exposed, and mostly broken, it was being held together by a few thread, which quickly fell apart. I'll solder them back together to see if it improves my gauge reading.

SuperWakos

87 posts [100%]
San Diego CA

Once dialed in, do you plan on hitting the dyno. It will be interesting to see the character of this engine. Any plans for GT-S rear end and possible 4.7?

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

Re: (SuperWakos) » Reply  Edit

I actually have thought about hitting the dyno, for the betterment of the 4AC community lol, most baseline dynos are usually on 200k+ mile cars, would be nice to see what a new one will do. I am interested in a GTS rear swap, I really like the unit in my mustang, open diffs are no fun. Not sure about upgrading the rear gears though, this is going ot be a "high" mpg DD, so I may just stick with the stock gearing. Depends on how slow it really is and if the gains offset the gears. I know in my mustang i upgraded the gears and didn't see a drop at all, but this is a vastly different car. Fixing the heater and A/C are higher on the list, beaten onl by new tires and an alignment. And getting is smogged and registered
touge_g35

1779 posts [98%]
lancaster ca

You forgot to add "all just to try and make it to the wolfpack meet next Friday night at Speedzone where I'll pwn everybody on the slicks track and make little kids cry."

Good stuff man, I'll be bringing the mustang.....maybe

My wolfpack
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=101082

My website, click on this link for my motor sports photography samples.
http://www.likhoun.com

BlackStar87

257 posts [100%]
Sun city CA

Re: (touge_g35) » Reply  Edit

I'm really gonna try to make it, either in the 86, my mustang, or i'll roll in the bro Kia
 First  < 1 2 3 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs