Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 KP 61 sleeper build.First  < 1 2 3 >  Last
Author Post
stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

» Reply  Edit

Finally picked the car up yesterday. After everything it did not make it 200 miles. I drove it the 150 miles home and went to go to the store after I got home and it broke down. Won't idle properly and sputters and pops when I hit the gas. It won't make it outof the driveway. Also the brakes are Fed up and destroyed a set of rear pads already.........

So after all this I now have to cover the expense of towing it back the 150 miles to the shop. I just don't know what to do at this point.

corollarollas

6543 posts [90%]

» Reply  Edit

Sorry to hear that man, I hope you get things figured out and get that little monster running right. Good luck.
stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

» Reply  Edit

Thanks. I'm sure it is something that will leave me doing a ultimate face palm and saying how did I miss that.

It was only producing 8 psi after the inter cooler due to the way the ABV is plumbed and it pulls 60 in the low 5 second range. Once I get the bugs worked out I will replumb the ABV vaccum line for the extra boost and let it rip. I was surprised that it does not spin out easily untill third gear going up a strap hill. Lol I think I can tune that out with the suspension adjustments.

It needs some minor little things buttoned up so I guess taking it in is not such a big deal. If not for the distance and having to tow it.

I just need a car really bad right now and I also have to post pone my road trip back home to OK till the fall. I am broke so not to disappointing. Haha.

Modified by stupidstuff at 6:10 AM 4/22/2012

MrBorohachi

34 posts [100%]
Nine O Crime ca

Re: (stupidstuff) » Reply  Edit

what you doing with the 4k motor trans setup?

stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

» Reply  Edit

I am going to build the old 4k for my brothers starlet. The tranny I sold already. I had two of these cars and decided that since my brother has alwayse wanted to build a car, and he loves the starlet, and I got it for $700, that he could have It. But there are other benefits to having an identicle completely stock starlet to mine. Makes emissions easy. Lol
MrBorohachi

34 posts [100%]
Nine O Crime ca

talk to/ message Moto from Club4ag.com when i met him in 1997 he had his silver coupe with JDM map 4agze so he knows a lot about that setup.

I'm dealing with my own headaches on my EFI "drop hatch" KP61 kouki. A friend loaned me microfiches and it's been reall fun fixing the fuel pump the 2nd ago previous owner mickey moused with a carb pump. And the guy i bought the car off of wonders why he couldent get the the car running

stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

Re: (MrBorohachi) » Reply  Edit

Thanks I will try to get in contact.

Modified by stupidstuff at 11:13 AM 6/25/2012

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Man it sucks the shop did such a hack job. Even my car isn't that ghetto lol. Overall this is still a badass project!
GtsTone23

3595 posts [99%]
Chicago IllaNoise

Quick question, do you have the estimate in writing????? Also, with all these pics of the shady, sh!tty work these guy's did, why not take them to court? PLEASE, PLEASE say that 18k spent is a typo. There's no way on God's green earth this job worth a penny more than the already high quote of $5500. This is depressing!! A fricken BRASS fitting, CORROSION!! Good Luck Bro ....

"Behind every Successful Man lies a Pack of HATERS,
If they aint Hating Now, They'll be Hating Later"
~GtsTone23~

stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

Re: (GtsTone23) » Reply  Edit

Ya I got the original estimate for 3400 for the engine and tranny swap. Two whitnesses for the handshake agreement on the LSD and a deposit covering it the same day. And there timeline documented against there increases in the estimate with regular printouts from showing the ballooning cost. Also my phone reccords showing no more than 4 calls in 4 months. I got everything. Including several online blogs of the process with time stamps and pics proving they put stuff on backwards, and asmost weekly updates. All my deposits coenside with what I have said and I have receipts for all money paid.
Remember this was a cash job up to $7200. Then I had to put a grand on the credit card just to get it back and avoid storage fees.
And the 18k is no typo. After parts and labor I am at least in this for 18k. The shop got 8200.

Modified by stupidstuff at 7:32 AM 5/13/2012
yellowsnow4free

303 posts [100%]

Man, sorry to hear about the hack job.

I found this on the forums, it's for an AE86, but maybe it can help:

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=90711

Cutting up an AE86? Please me know! I need body panels!

Petition to Reinstate the CA 30 Year Smog Exemption

stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

Re: (yellowsnow4free) » Reply  Edit

At is point they are trying to make things right by offering to redo the harness and install a MS ECU at there cost. I know they have the skill. They just need to take the time and get it done right. This will be there last chance though. If it is not right this time I won't be so understanding.

Also for me to take it to another shop would be very expensive. And I can't afford that at the moment.

mikeyee

1697 posts [96%]
Fremont ca

hey! your car is on speedhunters!

http://www.speedhunters.com/20...tions/

also stirred up a shitstorm in the comments too!

Commenter Andy Y put an interesting perspective on this whole fiasco:

Quote, originally posted by Andy Y »
If you pick up a vehicle from a shop before the work is completed, of course the harness is going to look like this. The car was in the shop for more than a week (at no cost) while they tried to diagnose the idle problems. That harness was pulled apart to try to diagnose the problem on the assumption the ECU wasn't defective.

Chasing down electrical problems on an un-proven, used, Japanese engine with harness. That's the risk you taking buying from these JDM engine places. You don't know how long they've been sitting and what problems they had prior to being pulled out. I have an RB swap as well, and the ECU was bad from the starting gate.

Also, US scan tools do not typically work with JDM ECU's. How do you diagnose sensors when you have no way to check parameters. It's pretty straight forward to test and diagnose when you have values to test against.

Also one should note that the money was for ALL the work, not just wiring... that's rear end swap, custom driveshaft, extensive suspension work (coilovers, custom sway bar, etc), engine swap with required fab work, AND integrating the wire harness. Maybe his expectations were managed poorly, but there is a lot of work into that car. It sucks the ECU was bad, but that can't be blamed on the shop. Also what might not be said there is that his ECU was bad from the start too. They attempted to fix it for him, which there was no guarantee to. Also, if he wanted a custom coolant tank, he should pay for it. That's not included normally.

There was clearly some problems in understanding each others' expectations. They tried to work within his budget, and he thought his budget included some other stuff.

http://about.me/myee

Mike Yee's Corolla resource page: https://sites.google.com/site/ncalae86/resources-1

stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

Re: (mikeyee) » Reply  Edit

He is totally spinning it one way forgetting several key points In the build.

1. The car was finished and delivered to drive home on the 20th of April and picked up in the condition above. If it was all taken apart the second time I picked it up who's fault is that? I told them I was picking it up as they said all it needed was an ECU. So it should have been ready to plug and play. Not all torn apart.

2. That un-proven harness was supposed to have been striped down, inspected, and modified to fit the car. Had this been done this would not have happened. The harness was crammed in as it was delivered with the engine. Busted wires and all.

3. The ECU will tell you the codes without a scan tool. If and only if the harness is not messed up. The new ECU won't show codes either. Meaning the harness is the problem. Just like it is still not idling and starting to run rich again just like last time,,,with the new ECU. I will pay for any sensor, and they have subed in a new sensors to test them all. So not a sensor, not the ECU.

4. Also one should note that all the suspension up front was bolt on and took three hours. The rear end swap was nothing new. The custom drive shaft was outsourced at my cost as was the setup for the diff. The major fab time was in the intercooler. Otherwise nothing different from what they have done a dozen times. Except this one did not just plug and play.

5 there was no misunderstanding from my end. I communicated very well as evidenced by the thread on kp61.net It will show that all the parts being used were taken with the car the the day it was taken to the shop. The only part added was the sway bar setup and takes an hour to install in 10 factory locations. I also told them my budget up front. I also paid them as we went along staying current with my deposit with any estimate increases.

6 I have pictures of the struts on the wrong side. They threw them on last minut when I called to tell them I wanted to come up for a progress report. I should have been told that due to a family emergency the mechanic had not goten any thing done and to save my gas. Nope they just BSd me. This happened two more times. They did not know I knew. But I did.

7. I don't understand with all the amazing work I see in that shop. All the cars they have featured in magazines, with all the recommendations how my car came out like this. I know this is not the norm for this shop. I mean really, every time I am in there I see another reallllllly bad ass something in there. I just don't get it. They knew from the start this was a public build on two localish forums. They knew speedhunters was stopping by that day for a photo shoot. Oops. forgot to mention not to use that car.

And finally the guy who wrote the post quoted above is the same "ONA" as on the first page who told me to chill when this started to unfold and has only 1 post.

I am still holding out hope that next Friday I go and pick up a properly built car ready to drive cross country. I am giving them another chance because I know they can get it done right. Now they just need to burn the late night oil and get it done. They could make me sing there praises and feel that all this was not to big of a deal. It depends on if they get it done or not. You are only as good as your last finished build.

Modified by stupidstuff at 8:01 PM 5/24/2012

stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

Let's be clear. I don't hold a grudge. I really like Joey. We are both hard working skilled craftsmen. Me with wood and metal, and him with metal, cars and who knows what else.

If they do me right I will do the right thing and clean up all the negative posts making them even look good, and chalk it up to a hard build and let this case fade into history.

It's up to them.

Edit: They completed everything and I am pleased with the work. Being aware of the issues that caused the staffing issue at the shop delaying my build, I would definitely recommend Performance options to people who have ample time and are not building there daily driver. Joey does fantastic work and if they screw up they will do what is required to fix it. God knows life happens, and it happens to the best of us. <br /><br />
Modified by stupidstuff at 11:27 AM 6/25/2012

Modified by stupidstuff at 11:28 AM 6/25/2012

gbogho

204 posts [100%]
Goose Creek SC

updates?

Sylvester- 1985 Corolla GT-S silver
stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

Re: (gbogho) » Reply  Edit

Darn, I forgot to update this. We, Performance options and I, are good. They got it all going and the project has progressed well. The last little issues I need to fix have been figured out even if not yet fixed. I am running cool and replacing the thurmostat. If that does not fix it I will get an under-drive pulley for the water pump.

They relocated the mounts for the rear shocks up 3" to take some load off the springs and allowed it to ride WAYYYYYYY nicer. It now rides as nice as I was originally was hoping for. It is still a bit jumpy on the interchanges at overpasses but that is probably due to the wheel base being only 92".

Here is the new location of the shock mounts

The caster is set at 2 degrees but I want 3+. Unfortunately the fenders wont allow more than 2 at the moment, without the front edge getting cut out.. It starts to float at around 100 mph so more caster is necessary at some point, if I want it to come into a turn at high speeds and not walk. The camber is set at -.5 degrees and the car tracks and is no longer harry to drive and keep strait on the highway. Now I can relax and drive as the car feels well planted.

With the major kinks worked out it rides and drives fantastic considering its capabilities on and off the pavement. I plan to road trip it home to Oklahoma for a visit late this summer in Nov. if everything looks good and is functioning properly by then.

Open road milage at 70 mph was 30 mpg over a 120 mile range from Oakland to monterey. So a milage of 23 in town and 30 on the road. Right where I was hoping!!!!!!!!!!!

More pics of the finished engine bay.

Now I move onto phase two, the the interior and the audio:bullocks:

A shot before I totally rip it all apart and make it a smooth light grey.

stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

Now for the install of the head unit.
The harness with all RCAs, power, video, and hands free wires included

Under the dash. I feel really comfortable with audio work, it is almost meditative. lol

The finished look. Not as clean as some thiner faced units but I like the ability to use my Iphone as my head unit with all its features.... Video, phone, music, internet, GPS guide............................ all at my fingertips mounted on the dash.

Next for the hard part,,,,,,,installing the interior and all 13 speakers.:bullocks: what was I thinking. haha.
This is a three way cross over mounted where the old speaker was in the kick area.

Got a door finished!!!! Looks really nice.

Well it is loud, haha very loud! It has enough base to make your vision go blurry. lol. Then it will make you squint from the vocals. It is not as clean as some other setups I have done but plenty good enough with no distortion.

The other door is done as is the rear panels. Remember I have new carpet and seats and this is just a ruff install and wont look finished until it is all done.

The last fitting before I start to finish the audio. This will wait until i have time to install the new seats and carpet however. But it is fully functional at the moment and will loosen teeth. :D
I also re-did the seat to match the rest of the car with the same fabric/vinyl paint. It looks a bit shiny until it fully cures in a day or so. Then it looks just like normal.

You can see the location of the sub-amp

I moved the mid-high amp down to get it under the sub box to allow for the cover pieces.

stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

They are pretty comfortable considering. I have decided after an hour long drive today that these are here to stay. So the interior is now grey with black seats. The new black seat belts are on order.

How they are installed.

LOL as usual i have the absolutely cheapest tools you can buy.

$100 welder from HF.

A cordless recep saw with 1&1/2" by 3/16" strap. A bit overkill I know but i had it already.

The off set bracket for the rear of the passenger seat. This keeps it level when the mounting points are not.

The assembly once welded onto the sliders.

Then installed.

The front part mounting both seats is the same L shaped piece but one side on each seat has an offset due to the sliders being closer together on the new seats.

This is how I did the rear of the driver seat as they were both different. I used a 17mm socket as a 1" washer and ground it at an angle to match the way the old mounting point angled.

How they look. Only $250 and two hours time. HELL OF A DEAL!

I got these rear roters from CQUENCE Performance but dont recomend them as they screwed up two orders in a row and tried to convince me that the corolla GTS had a 4 x 87.5 mm bolt patern up front and a 4 x 114 in the rear. Actually they may be right, I need to check.

They look better than the spiral pattern most use these days.

Edit: an update on my fuel economy for my usual driving is averaging around 24 mpg on 91oct. I rarely get over 50mph and have many large hills and curves.

Last update today has me stripping it down to paint the plastic and install the new carpet. I will also be dynamatting the door speakers and doors. The pain of stripping it down right after getting the seats in is unbearable.:cry:

The first thing I did today was to install the carpet. YUMMMM.

MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE

The seat belts are on order and come with new latches that are black to replace the brown seat belt latches. also has a new black rubber mounting cover for the pillar where the shoulder strap mounts. So perhaps by the end of next week I will be brown free, and one month after that I will call the interior good and move on the the body.

The last brown is the seat belts/latches and the Ebrake handle. (Seat belts and latches are on order)

This interior/audio took me about a week to complete in my spare time. The seats and main interior took 4 days. As you can see I have allot of free time these days only working 20 hrs a week, lol. I work quickly and keep my head down. I set daily goals and if I need to work till late to get that days work done i do so. I can also see the finished product of what i am making in my head, and every part i will need to get it there. So its just assembly,,,,,sometimes,,,,,,when it works. lol<br /><br />
Modified by stupidstuff at 11:36 AM 6/25/2012<br /><br />
Modified by stupidstuff at 4:43 PM 6/25/2012

Modified by stupidstuff at 7:05 PM 6/25/2012

stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

Today I am starting to finish up the back trunk area where the sub, battery, amps, and capacitor are located.

First I clean up the wiring.

Test fit the lower panel against all the trim pieces

Then carpet it.

Once done I start to install everything trying to get it in the right order.

Then after the sub is locked in place and centered I begin the cover panels.

These are my weapons.

Once i have the cardboard traces cut into shape I coppy it onto 1/4" Birch plywood and cut it out. Then I fit it to see if any trimming is needed.

I have already cut out the foam and vinyl so I only need some more glue to finish it up and see if I like it. I can always change it.

FujiwaraEightSix

3601 posts [99%]

» Reply  Edit

Glad to here things are ok now.

When I was running GZE I also had a Koyo radiator and it would run cool whenever I drove above 45mph, unless it was 100 degrees. It never affected performance for me, my commute was 30 miles each way. Sometimes during the winter months I put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to help the issue.

-Rick Cunanan
Owner,
SlideYourRide
Check us out on Facebook! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Email/Paypal
FujiwaraCoupe@aol.com

stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

Re: (FujiwaraEightSix) » Reply  Edit

I may need to do the same if the new thermostat does not help.

Todays progress.

The seat belts arrived this afternoon.:Jumpin_Jacks: They were not a direct bolt in and required me to straiten a L mount provided in the hardware and bolt it to the retractor. Also They dont fully retract but close enough.

Dear me those look good! :-D

They came with new shoulder mounts and matching covers.

Air plane style latches. I like allot!

stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

» Reply  Edit

I covered the panels only to discover I dont really like the way it totally closes off the rear. I have another design in mind but it will wait until I tare it down again in a month or so. But this requires the battery to be relocated a bit.

The cap location for now.

This is how it will look. I plan to put blue lights in the gaps in the rear. Or I may just rtim them down a bit to close it off. i wanted a gap there but the hatch closes and gets in the way. so I may just trim it a bit and close off the gap. Have not decided.

FujiwaraEightSix

3601 posts [99%]

» Reply  Edit

You are running a 180mm crank pulley correct? That's also a contributing factor of your overcooling issue. You won't be able to get that much bigger of a water pump pulley.

-Rick Cunanan
Owner,
SlideYourRide
Check us out on Facebook! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Email/Paypal
FujiwaraCoupe@aol.com

kul_blu_car

2894 posts [98%]

Re: (FujiwaraEightSix) » Reply  Edit

That is one nice project. Sleeper indeed! It's like the only mods you did on the KP61 was lowering the ride height and getting supras. Wait until unsuspecting guys see you zoom past them...

I have not logged on for a while on Club4ag and this build up thread was both fun and interesting to read.

Cheers to an awesome buildup!

Fast, Reliable, Cheap. You can only choose two. Why?

Fast and Reliable = Not cheap

Reliable and Cheap = Not fast

Fast and Cheap = Not Reliable

gbogho

204 posts [100%]
Goose Creek SC

glad i asked about updates! this project is awesome! i have somewhat similar aspirations for my rolla, and this is inspiring me to put in some elbow grease.

Sylvester- 1985 Corolla GT-S silver
stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

» Reply  Edit

Thanks, its been a fun and stressful 8 months. lol

I installed the new thermostat and the temp is running right where it should be now, as is the fuel mixture.

Last little issue is a minor missfire once it fully warms up.

I may install the new drilled front rotors todaty as well. It depends on time. There is a weekly classic car gathering at a local eatery and I plan to attend this week as i missed last week. One of the perks to living in my area is the car seen. I mean really expensive hot rods. I love old cars.

stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

Ok i spoke of little local car gathering and this is what I mean by a good place for vehicle eye candy. These get togethers happen almost every thursday night in the summer. We have a good mix of different car types but the regular american hot rods are the usual. I love this area!

I know this is a build thread but everyone likes these kind of pics.

OOOOOO MYYYYY GODDD

WOW

Hope you enjoyed the pics

kul_blu_car

2894 posts [98%]

Quote, originally posted by stupidstuff »
Ok i spoke of little local car gathering and this is what I mean by a good place for vehicle eye candy. These get togethers happen almost every thursday night in the summer. We have a good mix of different car types but the regular american hot rods are the usual. I love this area!

I know this is a build thread but everyone likes these kind of pics.
[img]http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae195/hill160881/Cars/DSC02801.jpg[/imgHope you enjoyed the pics

Where is this meet held at? Looks like the Napa Valley area.

Fast, Reliable, Cheap. You can only choose two. Why?

Fast and Reliable = Not cheap

Reliable and Cheap = Not fast

Fast and Cheap = Not Reliable

stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

Re: (kul_blu_car) » Reply  Edit

Carmel Valley at Baja cantina bar and grill. Considering the local crowd I was pleasantly surprised to see my car get a very warm reception amongst all these hot rods. People were not expecting what is under my hood, then the interior and everything. "It looks so innocent" is what people were saying.

Modified by stupidstuff at 6:54 AM 6/29/2012
 First  < 1 2 3 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs