Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 Project AE86First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last
Author Post
marley4us

649 posts [97%]
somewhere ca

Re: (yellowsnow4free) » Reply  Edit

I wish, they are actually rewinds... but ya I tried looking that info up to, and no one had a good answer for me, 15x7 0 offset fits, that all I know... sorry for not being more helpful.

Started hacking up the AE111 cusco 6pt cage to fit my AE86 hatch.

cut the plates off and droped it 1 inch.

Good fitment with the roof line

Having trouble with the rear bars, not sure how I want to go about it. Im thinking Either weld it into the wheel well, but then the seats cant drop down anymore, or make a custom bar that ties into the rear of the car, and gives me room for the seats to drop.

I have not moved it all the way forward yet

Bar still needs paint and to be moved forward. but getting closer

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Re: (marley4us) » Reply  Edit

Great progress, I know I'd be worried about messing up that cage, but I guess welding is one of those skills that fixes a lot of errors.

It seems like your intentions are to keep the rear seats in use, so I would recommend keeping the car as utilitarian as possible. My two cents would be to go with the custom bar, to allow the seats to fold down fully, as seats that only partially fold down are kinda useless in my eyes.

In general, my philosophy for a hatchback is: "What's the point if you can't load any cargo?". Again, just my two cents.

Build Thread: 1985 AE86 GT-S

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note's "Want to Buy" Thread

Email: zenkinote@gmail.com

"God's In His Heaven, All's Right With The World"

marley4us

649 posts [97%]
somewhere ca

Re: (Note) » Reply  Edit

Thanks, I only had a hour of sleep last night, so I wish I had gottem more done, but I am just too sleepy.

Ya I would like to keep the car looking simple, full interor, and use of the rear seats. so I am talking with a few people to find a way to make it structurally stable and also allow for the rear seats to drop down... I will have to wait to hear back before I finish the rear part of the cage.

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

For sure, I've been there many times. Sleep is optional.

No doubt with a think tank you'll find a solution. For how many modified AE86s there have been I'm sure someone's found a way around the rear seats.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

yellowsnow4free

303 posts [100%]

Quote, originally posted by marley4us »
I wish, they are actually rewinds... but ya I tried looking that info up to, and no one had a good answer for me, 15x7 0 offset fits, that all I know... sorry for not being more helpful.

No problem! Thanks for the info

Yeah I think I remember reading you want 15" rims to use the RX7 brakes / calipers.

As for the rears, I think cars that came with the MA46 / MA47 rear end came with 14" rims, so those should work.

But since curiosity has got the better of me...

Are your rewinds 14" or 15"? I read the tire and it says 185/60/14 (unless the tires have been stretched to fit on there ) It looks like the RX7 brakes / calipers fit, if just barely.

Cutting up an AE86? Please me know! I need body panels!

Petition to Reinstate the CA 30 Year Smog Exemption

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (yellowsnow4free) » Reply  Edit

They fit certain 14"s, usually with some grinding on the edges of the caliper.
marley4us

649 posts [97%]
somewhere ca

Re: (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

Sorry, no sleep made me write very unclear lol.

Erics got it, I had to grind only a little to get the 14's (14x7 -9, ithink) to fit, possible with a -20 offset it may have no clearence issues, but I am not sure as I have not tried.

My 15x8 et0 had no clearance issues, the 14s did but nothing a little work could not fix, but thats if you have the tools etc to do so.<br /><br />
Modified by marley4us at 3:07 PM 11/14/2012

Modified by marley4us at 12:56 AM 11/15/2012

marley4us

649 posts [97%]
somewhere ca

Getting ready for the test fit/ heart transplant

SR20DET getting pulled up

the booty

Frame spacer getting installed

half in frame spacer in

Man what **** ton of wiggling had to be done to get this in. CV had to be removed, a little mount had to shaved down, frame had to droped more lol!!!

IN FINALLY!!!!!!

The Stock SR20 mounts fit soooo close lol!!! I wont have to modify them too much, just extent them a little lol

Intercooler pipe and greddy Type S bov installed!

Front bumper test fit to see where the intercooler will lay out, looks more and more like a car again

Its a car

Thats all we got done tonight, but i was once again suprised how much stuff really almost bolts right up.

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Great work! To think you did this in one go, and I struggled to get a stock 4A-GE installed. Major props.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

marley4us

649 posts [97%]
somewhere ca

I also made these today They are for sale, so I can make some extra cash to finish this project off.

FOR SALE FOR $250

sale add:
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=112866

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Man that's major progress. It's all downhill from here. It was a B trying to wedge my 7A into my car since the block is so much taller than 4A. I know the SR is massive by comparisons lol.
marley4us

649 posts [97%]
somewhere ca

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I got a lot of help from my friends! That plus your motivation really helps move this project along.

Started working with my buddy xene, making custom mirrors. Not sure if they will be done, but I do have extra CF and resin, so why not right.

any suggestions, constructive criticism or opinions is always appreciated.

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

That cage looks great; makes me think about installing one myself down the road. These vehicles aren't really the most safe from the factory, so I don't think it would be a bad idea.

Also, it goes without saying those mirrors look great. Keep it up!

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

TD86

52 posts [100%]
Carson CA

This thread takes DIY to a new level. xD Me gusta~

The day when I get my own AE86 will come soon..
4A-C ohhh yeaaaaahh xD
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Yeah you should probably make solid molds of those mirrors so you can make extras. Then sell me those extras.
marley4us

649 posts [97%]
somewhere ca

Thanks everyone!

Note- yeah the cage is coming along. I would not recommend a cage in a DD, but since I have the CF doors, I needed to have lateral bars installed and cage, in case of a side impact. This is Also just a fun car to take out every once and a while, and take to the track and beach etc. Thanks I kinda am digging the mirrors we made.

TD86- thanks man! I apprecaite it!

Eric- ya man I am trying to look up how to make a "buck" mold but I am just not sure how. If you know anyone that would take them once they are done being carved and want to make molds of them I would be down to share them. I am no pro, so this is just fun spare time stuff.

marley4us

649 posts [97%]
somewhere ca

Some cool stuff should be coming really soon! Motor mounts should be here any day now, same with aero mirrors!

Got megan tension rods for 50 bucks!!!

marley4us

649 posts [97%]
somewhere ca

Got into a car accident in my NB 2002 MX5 DD... my back hurts, and the car is pretty mesed up... hood is smashed, radiator support is bent, radiator busted, ac condensor cracked, passenger headlight and passenger fender destroyed and front bumper... FML...right before finals week.

but on a brighter note,
Got my motor mount adapters in!!!

Motor finally fully bolted in

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Wow, that's certainly unfortunate, man. Glad to hear you're alright, though.

The AE86 is definitely shaping up!

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

marley4us

649 posts [97%]
somewhere ca

Thanks, Ya I am glad I was not hurt too. 1 because no one wants to be hurt. and 2, because I really did not want to be striped down naked in my own hospital by all my friends and coworkers lol! Its like a bad nightmare coming true!

I actually got really hooked up from the miata boards, got a new front bumper, fender, headlights, radiator, ac condenser, hood, and radiator support for 600 bucks! there goes the AE86 fund, but my car should be back on the road in a week when the body guys get done installing and painting it all!

So for now I am broke, and I will be stuck installing what parts I have for the AE86, but It might be a min before I get the last needed parts to get her running (fuel pump, driveshaft)

I did get some cool stuff from Nippon in!
AERO mirrors!!

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

... and 2, because I really did not want to be striped down naked in my own hospital

Haha, I forgot you were in the medical field. Yes, that would be embarrassing.

I actually got really hooked up from the miata boards, got a new front bumper, fender, headlights, radiator, ac condenser, hood, and radiator support for 600 bucks! there goes the AE86 fund, but my car should be back on the road in a week when the body guys get done installing and painting it all!

That's what I call a supportive forum!! I hate to say it, but I don't really expect that from Club4AG; parts seem too valuable here, although, I should be more optimistic.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

marley4us

649 posts [97%]
somewhere ca

well no updates on the ae86. But I figured I would post the damages to the mazda NB... looks sad...

But I got all the replacement parts so its on it was to get fixed.

bnicolas

2146 posts [93%]

» Reply  Edit

nice job man another money pit project!!!
marley4us

649 posts [97%]
somewhere ca

Re: (bnicolas) » Reply  Edit

bnicolas- hopefully not... I got a complete front end, radiator support, radiator, ac condenser, fender, headlights, hood, bumper, hood latch for 600 bucks. My buddy at the body shop said they can hook me up, get it all buttoned up and installed and painted for 300-350.

So coming in at just under a grand, it sucks, but not really a money pit. The NB KBB's as around 10 grand still, since it is very low millage.

just sucks during finals week, christmas time, and so close to my ae86 being done... but that will all have to wait, as I need a DD more.

Modified by marley4us at 12:57 PM 11/30/2012

Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

Projects can always wait; I'm just glad you were able to source the parts and labor, successfully, for a good price. It's as I always say, "it's not what you know, it's who you know".

I'll look forward to updates on both the NB, and the AE86.

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

marley4us

649 posts [97%]
somewhere ca

Thank you note, your right.

Here are a few updated pictures of test fitting the aero mirrors.

Here are some pics of them mounted...ish. I have CF doors so I need to make mounting plates cause they the CF doors dont come with any, but these would have bolted right up like oem! they fit amazing!!!

marley4us

649 posts [97%]
somewhere ca

Been stuck at home, MX5 is almost out the body shop, should get it any day now. Finals are pretty much done, last one is one tuesday but I did all my crazy hard ones this week. So I had to some to work on the AE today.

Found a RatRod shop that had mandrel bent piping, lol seems like the Inland Empire has never heard of this, cause I had to go to 6 shops to find it, and no one else seemed to know what it even was lol!

Got some steel cut, and made my own frame spacers, with the help of my buddies better drill bits lol!

some pics of the motor mounts

trans mount

Installed the Megan Tension Rods, wow that FU*%ing bolt was one there crazy tight!!!

Old rusty nasty oem tensionrod

Sexy Beefy Megan Tension rod

Drilled a hole for the intercooler piping, and wrapped a old hose around it to make sure it wont cut the coupler.

The Hood would not close all the way even with my custom frame spacers, so I called the company that made the engine mounts, they said I may have to take some of the support frame of the hood.. kinda sucks... oh well.

TCS hood, I am gonna cut you!

Hood pretty much sits closed now....

Car coming along... slow but steady.

johnh

442 posts [100%]
Moreno Valley CA

Ian,
thanks for showing me the rolla the other day!
I had the personal pleasure of looking at all of your work. (For me...AWESOME! And inspirational)
Can't believe you are getting all of this done while mending your miata+school. CRAZY!
It looks like it is getting closer and closer.
Good luck

-John

marley4us

649 posts [97%]
somewhere ca

Hey john ya it was fun kicking it with ya, come by anytime and have a beer, and watch or help wrench! I work on it most sunday Seeing your car, helps motivate me to get mine done!

To start AE86, and beer

got my hatch gas prop rods to work. I got the eastbear hatch second hand, and the P.O. had busted out the hatch bolts that where glassed into it. So I had to make longer brackets, still need to cut it down to size. But hey at least it works right now!

Started cutting out the trans tunnel for the S13 trans

Pulling the carpet out to, so I can angle grind the hole out, with our burning down the car!

Taadaa It fits!

Had to extend the throttle cable, I used my old MR2 turbo extra throttle cable, from the junction block.

Started with a piece of aluminum

Bracket made, now one more to go!

Adapter plate to hold the two throttle cables together

All done, throttle cable connected and feels nice!

marley4us

649 posts [97%]
somewhere ca

So I went to put the other Megan Tension rod on, and man what a PAIN! the bolt was rusted on so bad, I had to grind it off! ??? lol took for ever, not fun lol.

I also finally finished the Panhard bar/ lateral bar. So the DIY set up does not fit a celica supra rearend just FYI for anyone else wanting to do this. I had to order a extra extension from K and H an local store here. K and H metals supply part number 917020044 3/4-16 alloy linkage adjuster Then grind down the metal around the bolt "it had a little ring around it" so I could get the bar to slip over it.

I Also got the hood to close and lock properly finally, cut down the inside of the hood a bit, I forgot to take pictures, but I will post them up when I can.

First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs