Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 16 valve ITB on AEM ManagementFirst  < 1 2 3 >  Last
Author Post
ethergore1

244 posts [100%]
Loma Linda CA

Re: 16 valve ITB on AEM Management (ethergore1) » Reply  Edit

Finally got some more time to work on my car.

I put on my hoses:

I also found a place for my breather tank:

And last but not least I started trying to figure out the wiring:

I have never done any type of automotive wiring so this may take me a while. Tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. My first question is how do I go about connecting one ground wire to 4 different fuel injector ground wires? Also, which wire on the injector goes to ground?

trdslut

583 posts [96%]

please keep us updated, im waiting on my pay check so i can order the same standalone. nice job.

Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

Injectors are coils and do NOT care about polarity. It doesn't matter which pin on the injector is given power or ground.

I highly suggest you have someone knowledgeable look over wiring before you even turn the ignition on and power up the stand alone. You have to be really careful (fire hazard, burning out the ECU, filling the cylinders with fuel are the main risks). I'm just looking out man not trying to be condescending.

You also should make sure the AEM works with the injectors you are using (high or low impedence/risistance).

Stand Alone ECU tuning. Message me for details.

Looking to buy a corolla manual rack and a TRD 3 gear transmission.
*also wtb 4 point roll cage/bar for ae86 coupe

ethergore1

244 posts [100%]
Loma Linda CA

Re: 16 valve ITB on AEM Management (Grant) » Reply  Edit

I plan on getting someone to look at it. I had somebody helping me but he has not been around so I am trying to get as much done myself as possible. I've been watching your thread and when I got close I was thinking of hitting you up. As for the injectors, the AEM works with the high impedance and that's what I have. I got them cleaned by RC Engineering.
ethergore1

244 posts [100%]
Loma Linda CA

Re: 16 valve ITB on AEM Management (johnh) » Reply  Edit

I haven't done anything special except TRD motor mounts.
Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

Thanks for considering me and keep up the good work!

Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

Nice talking to you Andrew! There are a few projects for me in SoCal so I'll be sure to come down as soon as I can =)

Modified by Grant at 9:48 PM 5/19/2012

ethergore1

244 posts [100%]
Loma Linda CA

Sent you a text.
ethergore1

244 posts [100%]
Loma Linda CA

» Reply  Edit

I am finally getting some wiring done! It looked like a rat's nest at first but now it's really looking good. Grant is the man and taught me a lot about wiring, performance and dub step. Haha.

I'm also trying to finish mounting my oil cooler.

Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

Re: (ethergore1) » Reply  Edit

I'm just as anxious as you to fire it up!

ethergore1

244 posts [100%]
Loma Linda CA

Alright, alright! Got lots of exciting stuff done!

I had to adjust the valve clearance. It was way off! I had 3 shims with no clearance at all. I ended up needing shims smaller than available for the AE86 but I ended up finding them available for a 3SGE. I included the part numbers I got from Toyodiy.com.

Got the oil cooler half-way mounted in. Used some self tappers and I still need to add a bracket to hold the top steady but good enough for now until the darn thing runs.

I found that the perfect spot to mount the BMW battery block was where the coil used to mount. Fits great!

I found a good place to mount the battery. There was not much space without dropping the tank. I tried to be careful but I almost drilled through a gas line. Phew!

So now on to the real good stuff! Grant finally had some time to get back down to Redlands. He got the harness looking great.

Never mind the ugly mounting job on the coils. Those are temporary.

The terminals and clips on the AEM stuff are pretty out of control. There are so many types.

Here's a shot of the harness in progress:

So apparently getting the harness made was only the beginning of the work. One of the biggest things we had to deal with was the trigger. I am using the GZE CAS which only produces a falling edge signal. Unfortunately the AEM EMS 4 I am using only reads rising edge. To compensate we had to change the polarity of the CAS. I learned that normally you can switch the signal and ground however the GZE CAS has a common ground that has to be separated.
Here's Grant performing Cam Angle Surgery:

After this we got everything set but me, being the rookie mechanic I am, dropped a small adapter into the cylinder while the spark plugs were out. I ended up finally fishing it out with a magnet E taped to an 8 gauge wire.

After all that we finally got to startup. Hope the video works.

ariel_86

226 posts [99%]
Kaysville Ut

» Reply  Edit

In for more pics and updates!

1985 Corolla Coupe - Autocross slut, drifter wannabe, and current DD.
Physics for your head!
~ TRD aka KF7LNI
ethergore1

244 posts [100%]
Loma Linda CA

» Reply  Edit

So to put it bluntly....AEM EMS 4 is pretty dang annoying! We had one problem after another getting this car to run nicely. It took an entire day of calling tech support and experimenting to get the EMS to stay connected while the car was running. We ended up having to try two different laptops and finally got it to connect by using a USB hub which apparently amplifies the signal and helps connect.

We also had to set a password which is apparently a known issue according to tech support. The forum offers some help but you can't ask any questions because they won't approve the user name. That's right... They actually denied me the right to access their forum after spending all that cash on their products.

The next annoying thing is that the EMS only puts out a ground signal for tach output. So to compensate you have to install a pull up resister to get it to 5 or 12 volts and then use the tach adapter. we haven't even tried dealing with this yet.

So anyways... We had lots of other complications as we progressed through this project. It took us forever to get the fuel pump triggered and we accidentally broke the relay and ended up jumping the wiring to move forward. Next we realized that the former person helping me with the project depinned the starter wire and we ended up having to Hotwire the starter to get the car turning over. So freaking ghetto but whatever. I'll deal with that later.

Once we got the fuel pump going I found a fuel leak coming from the banjo bolt on the fuel rail.

We sealed that up by using some yellow gas safe sealant and then we found my Tomei fuel pressure regulator was leaking.

We took a trip to the junk and found a stock FPR off a newer Toyota which worked out but required me to go back to a regular line setup. Since my fuel lines are already converted to AN I ended up jimmy rigging my fuel line with what looks like a million adapters.

After all that mess we finally got the car out of the garage for the first time in 6 months! Thanks Grant!!!!!!

We drove around and Grant began tuning. A few minutes in the car dies, the computer freezes and we hear hissing. We get out and notice injector 3 is stuck open. Apparently the EMS screws up and locks open the injector. I'm really hating this system. I just pray these problems only happen while the computer is connected. What if I left the car running with the wife in the car?

So problems aside we continued on getting in some nice tuning. Grant worked like a madman until AEM gave us more problems. No matter what Grant did there was stutter at 6000 rmp. Nothing we could do was able to fix this leaving us to decipher the problem was not software related. At this time it's midnight after 5 straight 15 hour days and we decide to give up for now. Grant was only supposed to stay for 3 days and had put his friends and family on hold for long enough.

We took a late night trip to Carl's Jr. to get some grub. Half way through the meal we realize we were both itching for a midnight run so we head up the 18 to arrowhead and have some fun. I think we both needed this after being so frustrated. I love the view from the 18 and now I think Grant does too.

I just want to give some thanks to Grant for stepping up and helping me knock out as many problems as he did. If it wasn't for him and his resources my car would stay in the garage forever. I've been screwed over a handful of times now with corolla projects but this guy really steps up to the plate and goes the extra mile. The car may not be finished but it's well on its way.

More to come......

Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

» Reply  Edit

Thanks for the kind words Andrew! I have a new number that I'll hit you up on. You should post a video of it driving around on the rough tune!

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

» Reply  Edit

holy crap.....

1st... kudos on the patience to do the wiring... I see all that crap and I get wound up...

2nd... AEM really sucks if they disallowed you from their forum.

3rd.... GRANT??? I know we didn't have enough work for you.... The 6 speed is in and works very nicely.... too bad the car s tune sucks

Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/ USE it!

I've been wrong before... and at somepoint in time, I'll be wrong again

ethergore1

244 posts [100%]
Loma Linda CA

Re: (oldeskewltoy) » Reply  Edit

Grant-I barely got the new battery and fixed most of the oil leaking. I'll post some video soon.

OSK-grants the man for wrapping his head around all that wiring. I can't wait to drive the heck out of this car!

ethergore1

244 posts [100%]
Loma Linda CA

» Reply  Edit

I kept having problems with my battery holding a charge. I tried one last time and left it at 10 amps for 4 hours and came back to it looking like this:

After 2 weeks of waiting, the local distributor said they wouldn't warranty the battery. Im just glad the thing didn't blow.

Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

» Reply  Edit

I knew that thing was preggers.

stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

» Reply  Edit

WOW is that a dry cell?
ethergore1

244 posts [100%]
Loma Linda CA

» Reply  Edit

I finally found a reliable and cheap place to get some good power wire. I went overkill and got 50' of 1/0 gauge. Not sure what I'll do with the extra.

This stuff really is as flexible as they advertise.

ethergore1

244 posts [100%]
Loma Linda CA

» Reply  Edit

I also decided to try a 150 amp circuit breaker. I don't know why there is so much conflicting information about whether to use one or not and then what size to use. I figured the starter is on an 80 amp fusible link and that a power line shortage would be well over 600 amps. With that in mind I figure a breaker somewhere between the two should keep me safe. I'd be glad to hear any thoughts.

Jim4age

3 posts [100%]
Taichung

May I know what is this off from or there are shops you can purchase from. Thanks.

ethergore1

244 posts [100%]
Loma Linda CA

» Reply  Edit

If your asking about the circuit breaker it's from o'reiley.
Jim4age

3 posts [100%]
Taichung

no. I'm asking for whole distributor for the direct ingition. Thanks.

ethergore1

244 posts [100%]
Loma Linda CA

Re: (Jim4age) » Reply  Edit

Jim- I guess I read your post before the picture loaded. I used a 4agze cam angle sensor. I had to have mine modified to be used with my EMS.
ethergore1

244 posts [100%]
Loma Linda CA

» Reply  Edit

Got some more stuff in today to do more wiring:

The crimper has the stamp of approval.

ethergore1

244 posts [100%]
Loma Linda CA

» Reply  Edit

The crimper works like a champ:

I also got my circuit breaker mounted:

ethergore1

244 posts [100%]
Loma Linda CA

» Reply  Edit

I think I finally got my relocation completed to my satisfaction. I replaced my fusible link box with MAXI fuses. Also pictured is my relay for the fan, I'm still deciding if I want to try to hide it but I have so many things going to this area I kind of decided to turn it into a "power center." Still deciding....

ethergore1

244 posts [100%]
Loma Linda CA

» Reply  Edit

I got iOS 6 working and had some fun with panorama pictures. Here is a shot of how my engine bay looks right now(still very temporary) and a weird picture from the side. Pretty funny looking.

Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

Wow, look at you with your fancy wiring skills

First  < 1 2 3 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs