Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 1985 Corolla Ae86 Sr5 Beams 3sge 6mt(stock) replaces 3sgte 5mt (400hp)First  1 2 >  Last
Author Post
23psi4age

993 posts [89%]
Pembroke Pines Florida

1985 Corolla Ae86 Sr5 Beams 3sge 6mt (stock) replaces 3sgte 5mt (400hp) Reply  Edit

Hey folks,

It has been quite some time since i posted anything on here. But since my car has changed quite drastically and I have a bunch of pics from the start of the new motor setup I figure i start a nice fresh build up thread. The swap is almost done. Just has to be wired up. I hope you enjoy.

The Car: 1985 Corolla Sr-5. Extremely clean and as a shell is very original and period correct. I tried to get all "zenki" japanese parts which was quite a chore but I am very happy with the looks. This is my 2nd ae86 and I have made this car into my "dream" ae86. I have owned it for over 8 years now?!

My intent was to make it a cross between a gt300 ae86 (thats the 3sgte swap)

and a challenge cup ae86 (thats the looks)

The Old Setup:

The car was very fast but not very reliable with my old setup. check the old build up here : http://forums.club4ag.com/zero...age=1 The setup had a vibration that would crack the intake manifold runners. I never could resolve it with external mods and upgrades such as different flywheels, brand new oem crank pulley, new stronger intake manifold, new driveshaft. And I did not want to tear down and rebuild since I never like the leaned over transmission. Shifting was very awkward. My setup was leaned over like the factory mr2 3sgte position so I never had oil starvation issues and it ran for 8+ years. The transmission was leaned over to bolt up to the motor and the shfter bent back towards center. It worked well and never left me stranded. I sold everything I could not re-use and started from scratch!

The New Setup:

Toyota Altezza SXE10 Chassis Original Equipment 3sge Gen 4 "Beams" motor with Original Equipment 6 speed manual transmission "J160" Basically I am wanting OEM reliability with high rpm and a great transmission. Sounds like i should do a F20 or F22 swap? NO! I am definitely keeping the car all Toyota. I am not a horsepower freak (anymore lol) and I am not trying to make a dyno queen. An ae86 with 400+ hp is literally scary to drive and handle. I want to auto-x and hpde the car so less power, all motor precision and better control is what I am looking for. The setup is all stock for now just to get the car running.

The only current aftermarket / custom parts were fabricated out of necessity :
-Motor and Trans Mount
-Radiator and water necks on engine
-Clutch line
-Notch the bottom of bellhousing slightly to clear steering rack
-Subframe spacers (same ones i used on my old setup)
-Relocate OEM transmission shifter mounting point to "Forward" position
-Bang in fire wall for clearance
-Cut shifter hole about additional 2 inches towards the rear
-Driveshaft from previous rwd 3sgte setup works perfectly.
-found air flow sensor tube with adapter at discount auto parts for toyota lol
i used Bill Sherwoods page as a great reference : http://www.billzilla.org/AE863SGE.htm although his setup is automatic. the pics he has helped a lot. Because my previous motor was similar in dimensions my fabricator was able to fit the new motor with ideas from Bill, ideas from the old setup and a few new tricks aka bang the firewall lol.

The car is going to run on a Oem Ecu in the Oem Ecu box located in a similar position to that of the Altezza. Also running modified oem engine wire harness.

LOOK FOR UPDATES BELOW - I CAN NOT POST ANY MORE CHARACTERS HERE!!!!

The rest of the car is setup also: here is a short run down.
Body-
Pretty much original paint and SS Coupe sticker/stripe package that So. Florida dealers installed
Zenki JDM Front bumper / Lip / lights / emblem / brackets / Grill : All new toyota oem
Zenki JDM Rear bumper (used) / brackets : All toyota oem
Zenki GTS Trunk garnish
TRD N2 Mirrors
Zenki JDM Tail lights
Carbon Hood
Carbon Head Light Covers
HID lights

Suspension-
FRONT
Custom Coil Over (Shortened Strut Casing w/ strut spacer))
350 lb springs
KYB AGX (sw20)
New oem control arm with urethane bushing
Megan Tension rod (pillow ball)
Megan Outter Tie Rod (pillow ball)
Megan Inner tie rod (increased length)
Tein camber plates
TCS STB
Tanabe Sway Bar
Custom Wilwood 4piston brakes
UEO Style bomber bar
UEO Style fender braces
Sub frame spacer
Manual Rack Conversion - oem ae86 rack and oem manual column.
Quiafe quick steer manual rack gear
New OEM steering rack bushings
New wheel bearings

REAR
1980 Supra Axle 7.5 inch
Redline Fluid
all new new Bearings and Seals
TRD Rear springs 4.2kg
KYB AGX (Camaro)
Tanabe Sway Bar
TCS STB
Supra Mk2 clutch type lsd - rebuilt with Weir Performance kit and solid pinion spacer
Custom Panhard adjustable with heim joints
Custom traction brackets
Custom OEM adjustable lower control arms
Complete urethane bushings

Drivetrain-
Oem 3sge Beams + Oem 6 speed. All stock for now. Light Weight flywheel only mod to be done in the future.

Interior-
Gauges where the radio goes
Buddy Club Driver seat
NRG Harness bar and harness
NRG Quick release
DIY Celica and IS300 Gas / Brake Pedals
Titanium Shift knob
OEM MOMO Honda steering wheel with custom TRD horn button
Custom cut and cracked center console for shifter lol

Wheels/Tires-
15x7 +0 Volk TE37 in Magnesium Blue
Volk Center Caps
Project Kics Composite Lugs
Falken Azenis 205-50-15

here are pics!

just picking up the motor from Drag International in Davie south florida. I was actually able to source the motor / trans / ecu / harness all from Larry and in stock. he has jdm clips, swaps, suspension, wheels and more. his rb26 silvia and 2jz skyline both run low 8's! Great price too - cheaper and more complete then any other set selling online and he dropped it all off to my fabricator Billet Design.

the car and motor together at Billet Design Motorsports in Pompano south florida where Marco will be doing the fab work and install. Marco's fab work is top knotch and he is very thorough from start to finish. treats my corolla just like the gtr's and lambo's that he works on.

cleaned up the motor - it looks brand new! previous owner took care of it with new timing belt and maintenance

here are the picss for the j160 transmission shifter relocation. You can move it forward to alternate oem mounting points for about 2 inches shorter distance from the front. no modding - just remove housing for the shifter bushing, flip 180 degress and install in the pre-existing holes.

UPDATE - 5/6/12

Cool new pic of current progress. To be wired up this week hopefully.

<br /><br />
Modified by 23psi4age at 11:06 PM 5/6/2012

Modified by 23psi4age at 1:54 PM 10/10/2012

'85 Coupe Sr-5
Beams 3sge + 6speed + JDM = My Dream Car!

Joshua Araujo

209 posts [100%]
brampton ontario

» Reply  Edit

Amazing!! I will be doing the same swap end of this season/beginning of next. Looks good.
corollarollas

6543 posts [90%]

» Reply  Edit

Glad you didnt leave the game, saw you selling your swap and thougth you were done. Very nice build.
celicaRA45

159 posts [99%]
melbourne victoria

» Reply  Edit

i would be changing the tail shaft to a 2 peice if i was you ,or that 1 will start to whip and snap through the middle
toyota make a 2 peice shaft std sprinters rs200 for a reason ,its the frequency through the car and also harmonic s of the motor
celicaRA45

159 posts [99%]
melbourne victoria

» Reply  Edit

just rereading your 1st post on the 3sgte and the vibration ,change to a 2 peice will get rid of the vibration
23psi4age

993 posts [89%]
Pembroke Pines Florida

» Reply  Edit

Quote »
Amazing!! I will be doing the same swap end of this season/beginning of next. Looks good.
Thanks ! i hope my build up can help you out, good luck!

Quote »
Glad you didnt leave the game, saw you selling your swap and thougth you were done. Very nice build.
thanks! I really am hooked on these cars. if i sell it I hope it will be at barret jackson in 15 years LOL.

Quote »

i would be changing the tail shaft to a 2 peice if i was you ,or that 1 will start to whip and snap through the middle
toyota make a 2 peice shaft std sprinters rs200 for a reason ,its the frequency through the car and also harmonic s of the motor

you are right. but after my research a lot of vibration and imbalance issues on the RS200 come from worn out dual mass fly wheel predominantly but also from worn out U joints in the 2 piece driveshaft. I am going to try my high speed balanced 1 piece drive shaft for now with the stock dual mass flywheel which seems to be either recently replaced or in great shape. the most vibration occurs when you remove the 32lb stock dual mass flywheel and replace with light weight flywheel.

Quote »
just rereading your 1st post on the 3sgte and the vibration ,change to a 2 peice will get rid of the vibration

the vibration I had in my old motor was rpm based - not speed based. it would vibrate at a standstill or at speed - at around 4k rpm. A lot of techs explained I probably had a slightly bent rod - which is why the motor never fully failed.

'85 Coupe Sr-5
Taks86

2048 posts [99%]
Hell

Re: (23psi4age) » Reply  Edit

thanks for posting about the shifter position! I had heard about doing that, but your pics help out a ton with what I heard. I don't want to move my shifter location back at all, so I'll be looking at custom designing a new sway bar and mount set up, and moving the motor a couple inches further forward.
~Mike

1986 RHD AE86 Levin coupe
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
2012 Impreza (base) (the gf's)
2013 BRZ
zenkicoupe

3412 posts [77%]
dirty fontana so. cali.

» Reply  Edit

oh man, this is awesome. glad to see you at it again. one of my favorite coupes out there.

if i had the funds, i think this would be the swap for me.

http://zenkitrdcoupe.blogspot.com/

email grnrolla86 at yahoo dot com

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

Re: 1985 Corolla Ae86 Sr5 Beams 3sge 6mt (23psi4age) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by 23psi4age »

here are the picss for the j160 transmission shifter relocation. You can move it forward to alternate oem mounting points for about 2 inches shorter distance from the front. no modding - just remove housing for the shifter bushing, flip 180 degress and install in the pre-existing holes.

There is also now available a shifter relocation kit that moves it even further forward... 5" further forward!!!

Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/ USE it!

I've been wrong before... and at somepoint in time, I'll be wrong again

assassin10000
Teq

4959 posts [100%]
Northern CA

Re: (zenkicoupe) » Reply  Edit

Just an FYI, you might have driveability/power loss with that MAF adapter. From what I've read a bunch of guys have issues with aftermarket intakes on these. The only one that seems to be decent compared to OEM is the SARD one.

Andrew

23psi4age

993 posts [89%]
Pembroke Pines Florida

» Reply  Edit

Quote »
Just an FYI, you might have driveability/power loss with that MAF adapter. From what I've read a bunch of guys have issues with aftermarket intakes on these. The only one that seems to be decent compared to OEM is the SARD one.
Andrew

Yup that's true. I had to pick up this maf adapter since my swap did not have intake. I don't think it is 3 inches like most aftermarket kits which I have read reduce performance. I am going to try to have the intake fabricated similar in length and positioning to the oem intake. It seems that these motors don't like too much free flow intakes. Trd panel filter in stock box is supposedly best. I wish I had that set up.

Quote »
oh man, this is awesome. glad to see you at it again. one of my favorite coupes out there.
if i had the funds, i think this would be the swap for me.

thanks! your green zenki was my inspiration for all black zenki front and rear!

'85 Coupe Sr-5
celicaRA45

159 posts [99%]
melbourne victoria

» Reply  Edit

std second section of pipes are over 38inches long ,yours is 2 short
if you are using a std ecu you wont get the best out of your motor by changing the exhaust set up

also most 3sge have a harmonic problem ,much worse than a 4age motor
i have over come most of the problems by using a billet crank and better rods

and the 1 at 4000 rpm is right on the money that std from the factory ,even the altezza 3sge is the same hence dual mass fly wheel and alloy sump to try to fix a lot of the 3sge harmonic problems

my current race motor is making 340 hp at 9200 rpm with no vibration problems

23psi4age

993 posts [89%]
Pembroke Pines Florida

Re: (celicaRA45) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by celicaRA45 »
std second section of pipes are over 38inches long ,yours is 2 short
if you are using a std ecu you wont get the best out of your motor by changing the exhaust set up

also most 3sge have a harmonic problem ,much worse than a 4age motor
i have over come most of the problems by using a billet crank and better rods

and the 1 at 4000 rpm is right on the money that std from the factory ,even the altezza 3sge is the same hence dual mass fly wheel and alloy sump to try to fix a lot of the 3sge harmonic problems

my current race motor is making 340 hp at 9200 rpm with no vibration problems

you know your stuff!! 340 @ 9200 sounds insane! 3s harmonic problem is bad - everyone deals with it from Rosado and Hard Target full drag cars down to the stock altezza RS200. Its not a big deal for a drag car only making 1/4 mile passes and then trailering home, but really was a pain for a street driven car.

my exhaust manifold 2nd section was plasma cut 2 inches away from flange by the exporter so I am lucky to even get the flange! i know that the short secondary runners will not be ideal for torque but I am hoping to have a nice flow up top on the high end to match with the cross ratio 6 speed.

hopefully the factory ecu can adjust to make a decent power band and if not I will look into a piggy back system down the road?

my build is definitely budget constrained now. I wish I was in the position i was in a few years ago, i would have splurged for the entire 270hp TRD set of ITBs, extractors, ecu, head gasket, cams etc!

'85 Coupe Sr-5
Joshua Araujo

209 posts [100%]
brampton ontario

» Reply  Edit

Did you trim the oil pan? And what are the dimensions for the spacers?
Thanks,
Josh
23psi4age

993 posts [89%]
Pembroke Pines Florida

Re: (Joshua Araujo) » Reply  Edit

did not trim oil pan. 1/2 inch spacer. i did trim under side of hood to clear plastic valve cover. may run with out plastic valve cover

'85 Coupe Sr-5
toyzmusic

5 posts [100%]
gibsonton FL

» Reply  Edit

I'm trying to do this right now too, I'm also in Florida but I'm stuck, the car keeps bogging. I'll hit you up to compare notes.
badlittlecar

4 posts [100%]
CAMDEN NJ

hey i can give you the oem part number for the maf my engine came with it ...
i have really good question can you send me all the spec's for the engine mounts
tweak'd performance did my harness for the ecu but i have 85 gts
my email is badlittlecar@msn.com
Joshua Araujo

209 posts [100%]
brampton ontario

Hey
23psi4age
Can you send me a email? I need to ask you something.
joshamelo@gmail.com
Thanks,
Josh
23psi4age

993 posts [89%]
Pembroke Pines Florida

Re: 1985 Corolla Ae86 Sr5 Beams 3sge 6mt (Joshua Araujo) » Reply  Edit

cool new pic up on first post. the car should be wired up by end of week.

'85 Coupe Sr-5
edwin

4 posts [100%]
winter haven fl

Re: 1985 Corolla Ae86 Sr5 Beams 3sge 6mt (oldeskewltoy) » Reply  Edit

Hey about to do this swap where can I get this kit Thanx

gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

nice setup....my choice of swap was between this engine and the 20v...i ended up finding a 20v bt for 375 bucks so went that route...will be down in the MIA area hopefully in the next 6-7 months so looking fwd to meeting up with the locals
midengine3sgte

130 posts [100%]
long beach ca

Re: 1985 Corolla Ae86 Sr5 Beams 3sge 6mt (oldeskewltoy) » Reply  Edit

What shifter relocation kit is that?
Chindiesel

94 posts [99%]
Pembroke Pines fl

Re: 1985 Corolla Ae86 Sr5 Beams 3sge 6mt (midengine3sgte) » Reply  Edit

Hey Gerard, this is Chino with the silver starlet that Paul did (same 3s setup)
I have a TE72 body (clean) with a blown motor and I need some pointers to install a beams 3sg auto...daily driver
Give me a call tomorrow pls 786-229-3336
thanks!

Drive a Toyota....the only way to fly

http://WWW.Chindiesel.com

23psi4age

993 posts [89%]
Pembroke Pines Florida

» Reply  Edit

Update - 8/21/12

After finally getting things sorted out the car is running very nicely! I have a small exhaust leak to fix and this will complete the motor swap. it pulls strong and sounds awesome at 8000 rpm!

Some details -

-the pep boys afm adapter spaces the afm out of the intake tract and was causing the car to run like crap so Do Not Use this part!!! The farther away the afm from the throttle body the better that car seems to run mid and high end. the afm right in the mouth of the throttle body caused it to have instant response but died out at mid to high rpm even with excess fuel pressure. using a pod style filter and not having the factory air box that has a valve that opens another chamber to increase volume/velocity at high rpms is the reason that everyone loses so much torque with this swap. but it still feels and pulls awesome.

-Fuel pressure is important to be at 62psi and with an adjustable regulator hooked up to the vacum port on the top side of the throttle body the motor runs like a champ with a little under 70psi under load/acceleration

-my electrician was able to get the rpms to work off of the ecu signal - even though kinda jumpy at times. also oil pressure works and i got my water temp wired in also.

-the shifter relocation is a part of the transmission - it is not a kit. the transmission comes with 2 different mounting locations and you use the same hardware for either location.

Videos to come by this weekend!!!

'85 Coupe Sr-5
Fluffy Bunny Feet

1544 posts [96%]
Fresno CA

» Reply  Edit

yeah i heard how finicky these motors are with maf placement. its gotta be right where toyota/yamaha designed
edwin

4 posts [100%]
winter haven fl

Who did the install and what's his # would like to get mine down there working on same kind of swap in in the Tampa area Thanx .

23psi4age

993 posts [89%]
Pembroke Pines Florida

» Reply  Edit

Update!

EXHAUST:
As has been discussed - do not use 2.5 inch. it is very hard to get 60mm piping (2 3/8 inch) in the US but this is the largest you should go with this motor. I notice the loss in torque tremendously and will be installing a 2 1/4 inch high flow cat to offset the 2.5in piping. Hopefully i get some back pressure and some heat in the system for it to evacuate quicker.

Besides that its been great!

Modified by 23psi4age at 1:50 PM 11/16/2012

'85 Coupe Sr-5
UltimX

496 posts [98%]
ba ca

Which half size u use? They have a dual core half size that might b more efficient. Also, did you direct the air flow through the radiator? Usually air flow goes around it and not through it. Just fwiw
troy_dee

56 posts [100%]
Marina CA

so rad.
assassin10000
Teq

4959 posts [100%]
Northern CA

Quote, originally posted by 23psi4age »
Update!

RADIATOR:
The half size honda radiator IS NOT ADEQUATE!! At highway speeds which puts me at above 4300 rpm the car starts to run hot. not good. A full size radiator will be replacing the half size within the week.

EXHAUST:
As has been discussed - do not use 2.5 inch. it is very hard to get 60mm piping (2 3/8 inch) in the US but this is the largest you should go with this motor. I notice the loss in torque tremendously and will be installing a 2 1/4 inch high flow cat to offset the 2.5in piping. Hopefully i get some back pressure and some heat in the system for it to evacuate quicker.

Besides that its been great!

The radiator not working at freeway speeds could be because there is little to no air flow through it, and instead it's just going around it. You need to put some ducting/blockage to the left and right of the small rad for the area's open to air, otherwise air won't flow through it correctly at speed.

Andrew

First  1 2 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs