Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 new member working on a '86 MR2First  1 2 >  Last
Author Post
wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

new member working on a '86 MR2 Reply  Edit

So I'm Seth, I am 25, I have a degree from UTI, I am working as a tech at a Honda dealer and I am going to school for Mechanical Engineering. Last season I raced my step father's Mazda RX-8 in autocross and ever since then I wanted to get a project car for racing. I've raced my Subaru wagon a few times but the fact that it's my daily driver and is prone to having a glass transmission I didn't want to blow it up. My requirements for a project car was that it had to be light, naturally aspirated, rear wheel drive and have pop up headlights. Most would go with a Miata but I wanted something different. So through my searching I found this a 1986 Toyota MR2 that I picked up for $650. It's actually in pretty good shape for being a 26 year old car but the catch is that it only runs on 3 cylinders. Cylinder 4 has no compression. So my plan is to swap in a 20 valve 4AGE and race it hopefully before the end of this season.

Now on to the pictures!

There's a little rust here and there but it's not a big deal. Just natural weight reduction.

The 16 valve 4AGE. Running on 3 cylinders. It'll get pulled and in its place a 20 valve silver top 4AGE will go.

Still has the factory badge on the hood.

I love flip up headlights.

The frunk. Pretty clean, still has its factory tool set, spare tire and all the correct plastic bits and they're not cracked.

The interior. No rips in the seats and no cracks in the dash. Has power windows, power mirrors and power door locks that all work and the sunroof works too!

Can't wait to take it autocrossing.

Modified by wrxmr2 at 3:10 PM 11/11/2012

wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

Re: new member working on a '86 MR2 (wrxmr2) » Reply  Edit

Here's how it sits as of 5/20/12

yellowsnow4free

303 posts [100%]

^ Some cool shots there! =)

I'm looking forward to watching this build; what are some of your other plans for it? (aside from the 20v)

Good luck!

Cutting up an AE86? Please me know! I need body panels!

Petition to Reinstate the CA 30 Year Smog Exemption

wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

Re: new member working on a '86 MR2 (yellowsnow4free) » Reply  Edit

I'm going back on forth on running open ITB's. Probably will run them open. Besides the 20v swap I plan on doing coilovers and what not with the suspension. Thinking of getting some Enkei Classic 92's. But interior and exterior wise it'll stay mostly stock.
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Keep in mind what class you'll wind up in with an engine swap and other mods. Hell my SR5 is technically full-race pro-prepared lol.
wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

update as of 5/23/12 » Reply  Edit

Dropped the engine out today. 5/23/12

Getting it ready to be dropped out.

The engine in all it's 300k+ miles glory.

And how it will sit for a while until I can save up for the new engine and other parts.

wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

» Reply  Edit

Pulled the wiring harness off the 16v engine today 5/27/12. I'll be ordering the 20v engine during the middle/end of next month. I'd order it at the end of this month but I'm doing a road trip and need money for that.

wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

Re: (wrxmr2) » Reply  Edit

5/28/12
Got the trans, clutch and flywheel pulled form the engine. Going to clean up and re-use the trans, I know some people are against this but meh. Also going to go through my work and get the flywheel machined. I'll be replacing the clutch, this one had the TEQ logo stamped on it so I think it was pretty old.

Rey Trossi

637 posts [100%]
Bay Shore NY

Nice work my friend. Love the mr2. I have one a 1989 It was automatic just converted it to 5spd. I bought my mr2 back 2007 looks real nice now spend a lot of money to get it to look the way it is now. The C50 trany will do fine for a while, The only thing that I dont like about my C50 is that at high speed I feel like is holding the engine back. When Im doing 70mhp is at 4k rpm. When you buy your 20v try to buy it with the trany I know is going to be a bit more. They run better with the original trany. I heard it wasnt hard to convert it. Good luck by the way whitch engine are you going to buy silvertop or Blacktop.
Rey Trossi

637 posts [100%]
Bay Shore NY

Re: (Rey Trossi) » Reply  Edit

The other problem you going to find using the c50 trany is the starter in the exhaust side.
marley4us

649 posts [97%]
somewhere ca

Re: (Rey Trossi) » Reply  Edit

if you have not been you should check out mr2oc.com they have a ton of info and are very helpful, i have been a member of there site for many years.
Rey Trossi

637 posts [100%]
Bay Shore NY

Re: (marley4us) » Reply  Edit

yes they do
wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

» Reply  Edit

I plan on buying a silver top at the end of the month. I would go with a black top but I'm on a budget of around $3k.
Rey Trossi

637 posts [100%]
Bay Shore NY

with 3K you should be able to buy a blacktop motor with a 6 spd trany and have the wiring done profesioanaly and still have some money left over plenty. Around here you can find a blacktop with 6spd wiring n ecu for around $1500. You can get the wiring done by Mr220v or Dr Tweek for a round $350. Since you are doing the work you dont have to pay any one else.
wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

» Reply  Edit

Yeah, I think I may have to go with the blacktop. It just sounds like it'll be more fun.
Rey Trossi

637 posts [100%]
Bay Shore NY

4age 16v is ok. I have been driving mines for a while now. I have a corolla with a 20v blacktop n there is a difference in power. Since you have the motor out I would look into the blacktop 20v. Thats my next move with my mr2. Would love to drop in the celica gts motor is supposed to have 190 horses NA. That would be crazy for the mr2...
wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

» Reply  Edit

Painted some mounts, brackets and some other bits today. 7/1/12
Still need to wait a couple more weeks to order the engine.

Getting the parts ready for paint.

My set up to paint the parts.

The parts up close.

Using VHT crinkle paint. Basically because it's what I had lying around.

wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

» Reply  Edit

Just a little update. 7/31/2012.

I know it was a little longer than I expected but the 20v blacktop has been ordered. http://osakajdmmotors.ca/jdm-e....html

wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

» Reply  Edit

8/9/12 Got the new engine. It got here a lot sooner than I was expecting. Only took about a week.

wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

» Reply  Edit

8/9/12
Got the wiring harness from the new engine pulled off.

Here's a shot of the new engine's ITB set up. Its going to get some velocity stacks from Techno Toy Tuning. http://www.technotoytuning.com...tacks

And Uni air filters
http://www.technotoytuning.com...lters

wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

» Reply  Edit

8-20-12
Pressed out the old rubber engine mounts at my work...

...and reassembled them with new polyurethane mounts.

8-22-12
Rebuilt the clutch slave cylinder.

Also pulled the transmission off the 20v engine, pulled the clutch and swapped out the plate between the trans and engine so the 20v engine can except the 16v transmission. I did not get a picture of this.

wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

» Reply  Edit

8-25-12 Light weight crank pulley came in from Techno Toy Tuning. Now I'm just waiting on some other parts so I can install it and finally get the engine in the car.

wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

» Reply  Edit

9-5-12 Got the New timing belt, crank pully and tensioner installed. Also swapped out the oil sensor. Now I'm just waiting to get a new alternator belt and clutch kit at the end of the week, then the engine can go in the car.

The parts.

The old and new tensioner.

T-belt installed.

Crank pully installed.

wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

» Reply  Edit

9-16-12 Got a lot done on the car today. :D

Project for the day was to get the alternator belt, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate installed. Then get the transmission on the engine then bolt on the starter and header then put every thing in the car.

9-16-12 Alternator belt installed.

9-16-12 Flywheel installed.

9-16-12 Clutch and pressure plate installed.

9-16-12 Engine almost ready to go in the car.

9-16-12 Starter and header installed.

9-16-12 Engine installed. Now I just have to hook up the heater lines, coolant lines, vacuum lines and a few other bits.

Pasticbmx

12 posts [100%]
Henderson NV

Looks great so far.
Rey Trossi

637 posts [100%]
Bay Shore NY

Re: (Pasticbmx) » Reply  Edit

Looking good getting it almost done. Did you do anything to the motor inside.
wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

» Reply  Edit

Didn't do anything to the motor inside. I wasn't planning on a rebuild.

9-19-12 Didn't do much to the car today but I got the spark plug cover painted.

Before.

After

Got a little messy around the M but meh.

Modified by wrxmr2 at 3:47 PM 9/19/2012

wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

» Reply  Edit

9-23-12. Valve cover before paint.

9-23-12 Valve cover after paint and installed with spark plug cover.

9-23-12 Ran the coolant lines. Now I just need to figure out the vacuum lines, extend the throttle cable, get the wring harness made up, bleed the clutch, put oil and coolant in it then it should be good to go. Oh, and I need to get the velocity stacks and air filters.

9-23-13 Just another view of the coolant lines.

wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

» Reply  Edit

10-1-12 through 10-18-12

Got the new stainless fuel lines, fuel filter, oil filter, velocity stacks and air filters installed. Hooked up the throttle cable but I may need to re-adjust it.

Also got my axles re-built through work.

Open velocity stacks and new fuel lines.

The stacks with filters.

Re-built axles.

Just waiting to get my wiring harness in and then I just need to get coolant and oil. Hopefully it'll be running here soon.

wrxmr2

24 posts [100%]
Lakewood CO

» Reply  Edit

11-11-12
Got it started for the first time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...tu.be

First  1 2 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs