Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 Will the FRS/BRZ replace your AE86?
Author Post
Stock4AG

1501 posts [100%]
SF Bay Area

Will the FRS/BRZ replace your AE86? Reply  Edit

Ideally we'd have both but theoretically lets say you are only allowed to have 1 car only.

do you think the new GT86 does everything that you will want to replace your AE86?

Many of us havn't driven one yet so feel free to come back to this topic later.

Jeonsah

1814 posts [95%]
Co

» Reply  Edit

the ae86 will never be replaced for me. It will always be my favorite car to work on and race. The FRS is a very cool car but they're two different cars.

WTB AE86 Best Motoring International Vol. 42. Pm if you have it!
oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

» Reply  Edit

HAHAHAHA No freaken way....

right now I have suspension, engine, drivetrain spares in multiples... the total cost to replace anything on our cars is minimal @ best.

I've got no FR-S inventory... and don't see one developing anytime soon....

Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/ USE it!

I've been wrong before... and at somepoint in time, I'll be wrong again

UTOTMO

5130 posts [100%]
reseda ranch ca

Re: (oldeskewltoy) » Reply  Edit

I agree with this as well I even ask scion does it come with manual steering as an option

KNUK KNUK GARAGE..
AE86Kai
Global Moderator

6773 posts [100%]
Tokyo, JAPAN

» Reply  Edit

My AE86 Levin is 100% daily commuter that I hate to say it but, either TOYOTA 86 or BRZ could replace as a communter (my needs) for sure.

Important part is IF, the money is no object.....

But, as you have mentioned in you initial post, I need to drive one first as well.
Yesterday, I went to my local dealer to change oil for my Altezza and sales person just had to give me the the catalog.

TRD package looks really nice but, I think I am going to stick with my AE for now.

Moto-P
Founder/Webmaster - wwwClub4ag.com

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Re: » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by UTOTMO »
I agree with this as well I even ask scion does it come with manual steering as an option

Because the only people that would opt for that would be you and maybe 20 others... Adding cost and complexity to the production line more than helping it. LOL!

Moto Miwa
Founder/ Administrator Club4AG
moto@club4ag.com

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Re: (Jeonsah) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Jeonsah »
the ae86 will never be replaced for me. It will always be my favorite car to work on and race. The FRS is a very cool car but they're two different cars.

Agreed, no one should consider the AE86 as the same car as the FRS.

I do agree that the FRS does inspire the same feeling in the driver's seat, that is to give the driver a smile each time we see a corner, an apex, and a series of twisting road.

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

yoimlevinit

515 posts [100%]
give us this day

» Reply  Edit

the steering response of the 86 is by far the best compare to any other platform imo.. it feels like an extension of my body.. and i cant imagine myself driving another car if it didnt have the steering response of an 86.. alot has already disappointed me.. such as s2k, subbies, and so on.. im not sure if this is a personal preference but the manual steering of the 86 is what i always look for when i drive another car.. overall.. i have still yet to test drive the frs and see.. but weighing the cost to fun ratio.. i think the 86 is more practical at this point for me..

give us this day - mp
envy kills...
Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Re: (yoimlevinit) » Reply  Edit

Yes, the car will be here and ready when you are. No rush, and drive one when you get a chance. It's a joy... Still different in some ways, but the sensation will remind you of the AE86, despite the vastly different looks and mechanical compoents.

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

yukesrevolver

72 posts [100%]
Nashville TN

Re: Will the FRS/BRZ replace your AE86? (Stock4AG) » Reply  Edit

I'll take the James T. Kirk approach on this and just get both.

I dont believe in a no win scenario.

Honestly all the 86 needs in order to envoke, entirely, the sensation of an AE86, is a proper engine note. Sounds weak compared to the 4A. (note wise)

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

Re: Will the FRS/BRZ replace your AE86? (yukesrevolver) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by yukesrevolver »

Honestly all the 86 needs in order to envoke, entirely, the sensation of an AE86, is a proper engine note. Sounds weak compared to the 4A. (note wise)

I beg to disagree......

I'm not, 20 something(or 30, or 40), I'm YOUR dad! I grew up with hairy(POWERFUL) muscle and pony cars... I've owned my share as well (GTO,Shelby Mustangs[2], Mach1 428SCJ)

The older cars(E7 or AE87) have a feel to them... a rough edge, cruder so to speak. It is far more than engine note. I LIKE a cruder feel. I LIKE the sense of feeling every peeble. I like to WORK @ driving.

When I want something daily... I'll slip into my slightly tweaked AE95 sedan. But when I want to go out and be different....

.... I'm sure as SH_T not going to do it in a car that looks similar to every other car in the genrie.... The RARE factor is just not there..........

WAIT 20+ years... and you might have something...........

Stock4AG

1501 posts [100%]
SF Bay Area

Re: Will the FRS/BRZ replace your AE86? (oldeskewltoy) » Reply  Edit

I have been closely following - seems like this car a few too many problems still.. no offense to those already bought it (Moto)

chirping fuel injection sounds, idle drops and stalling, rough syncro, fit and finish issues.
I guess I will wait for the Kouki to come out.

SUPRAtruc2JZGE

79 posts [100%]
Rosemead ca

» Reply  Edit

If its Scion or Subaru, it's not Corolla, period!

To me its not replacement of AE86, why, not even close to the related body style.

However, it is very accepable car.

K2 Performance & Fabrications
11819 Goldring Rd, Arcadia, CA.
(714) 376-8271
K2RaceFab.com

autobotthejedi@yahoo.com =)

grappletech

280 posts [100%]
Co

» Reply  Edit

Something that I can add to that is the fact that this is priced like every other scion. (TC) and its was supposed to be for the Gen X'rs and you see how they treat those things... like ignorant ricers.. I know that an 86 is a ricer but there are always going to be that crowd who's going to give these cars a bad name... I will say that im very tempted to buy one but it will only be cool for a few months until everyone and their brother has one. putting wings and riding around in the color primer. so IDK as much as I want one, I dont want one for that reason

AE86 A.K.A Trouble!
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=97019
WTB: GTS seats. I need some ASAP!
oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

» Reply  Edit

...... just a small point.... note todays date (8/6/2012) on this post... What day of the year will you celebrate your FRS, or BRZ?

The euro crowd can pretend to celebrate on 8/6... but the chassis code is what we celebrate...

shawnho

169 posts [100%]
Overland Park Kansas

I'm going to the Toyota/Scion dealership tomorrow to get a couple of parts. They have 2 Scion FRS's sitting there next to the door to the parts department. Normally when I pull in, the sales reps all cluster around my car and ask about my AE86. If I offer a straight trade - mine for theirs, think I'll have any luck...

Stock4AG

1501 posts [100%]
SF Bay Area

Re: Will the FRS/BRZ replace your AE86? (shawnho) » Reply  Edit

I'm having the summer blues driving my AE86, I don't have A/C.
I have to use my 97 degree body temp air to blow on my arms and it feels cold, seriously it's about 130 degrees inside the cabin.

I'm starting to think I need to start saving now and buy a Kouki FRS in 2015.
In winter I love my AE86 alot more.

MazterDizazter

259 posts [100%]
Marshfield MA

» Reply  Edit

Welp, my AE86 didn't last long enough to be replaced by the new 86. However I just sold my Datsun 240Z and I consider it to be the Z's replacement. I might sell the MR2 down the road if I find the BRZ to be that much better in the long run, but hopefully I'll get to keep one 4A-G powered vehicle around

1987 Toyota MR2 hardtop
20v blacktop 4A-GE
Ground control, Koni, Cusco, ST
XXR, Toyo, Wilwood, EBC, Odyssey
Recaro, MOMO, Fidanza, SPEC

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Quote, originally posted by Stock4AG »
I'm having the summer blues driving my AE86, I don't have A/C.
I have to use my 97 degree body temp air to blow on my arms and it feels cold, seriously it's about 130 degrees inside the cabin.

I'm starting to think I need to start saving now and buy a Kouki FRS in 2015.
In winter I love my AE86 alot more.

That's the spirit! Keep on planning, and in 2015, I am SURE you won't regret it. You know why? It's because not only it's an excellent car, but all of us are here to share the moments, events, friendship, and fun that comes from ownership. I will make sure of that!

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Re: (MazterDizazter) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by MazterDizazter »
Welp, my AE86 didn't last long enough to be replaced by the new 86. However I just sold my Datsun 240Z and I consider it to be the Z's replacement. I might sell the MR2 down the road if I find the BRZ to be that much better in the long run, but hopefully I'll get to keep one 4A-G powered vehicle around

Yes, FR-S can replace the AE86 in the sense that if it has to be ONE car only, it will make things a bit more convenient and reliable as well as easier to maintain being much newer. I won't say it is the same, as I too, think that 86 only means AE86 and not the FRS. But the embodiment and soul it has is right there, and there are just as big a community today that will support the fun and ownership as AE86 had enjoyed.

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

taroroot

3167 posts [100%]

Re: (Moto-P) » Reply  Edit

Well, i just sold my AE86. The money will go toward a FR-S. I didn't drive the AE86 enough to justify keeping it. I plan to also sell my DD FX16 so the FR-S will be replacing both. But as I was driving it all day today and to take it to buyer to look at, I realized what fun it was. The response of the engine makes me smile, it isn't fast, but fun. Ah well, I need something more updated for daily driving and for auto-x. I just have too much vehicles and not enough space. Man though, buyer is getting a deal, I'm actually selling it for a little less than I bought it (not counting shipping it here!) and I've added a lot of work & parts to it. Sigh, thats how it goes.
I do intent to keep the FR-S for 20 years!
taroroot

3167 posts [100%]

Re: (taroroot) » Reply  Edit

Its done, dropped deposit on the FR-S and they'll be Prepping it come Monday! So now I'll truly see what it's like to drive every day.
taroroot

3167 posts [100%]

Loving it so far, can't wait to finish break-in period!

taroroot

3167 posts [100%]

Just shy of one month, just broke 1000 miles, I'm loving it. Honestly not regretting selling the AE86. The AE86 didn't get set up good so I was never happy with the suspension. The FR-S engine doesn't sing the way the 4AGE does. It handles great though, and has just enough comforts to make me happy as a daily driver.

Sure I have the much publicized issues of the chirping pump, but it doesn't effect the driving right now and will be taken care of by Toyota. Looks like I'm starting to see the idle issues, but again I can drive it daily fine for now and again is being taken care of by Toyota, I'll just need to make an appointment.

» Return to Toyota New86, Scion FRS, and Subaru BRZ Topics