Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 cam angle and/or crank angle sensor needed for 20v BT swap with CoP
Author Post
ProjectSe7eN

29 posts [100%]
Savannah GA

cam angle and/or crank angle sensor needed for 20v BT swap with CoP Reply  Edit

so im still having issues with my rolla... 20v BT swap with a tweak harness, 1ZZ-FE CoP, sam-q dist cap, 20v ECU. and the timing is wrong... ive talked to some friends and different ppl and possibly narrowed it down to a sensor that i need...

im not sure if its just common knowledge that this setup needs it, but i didnt/dont know much about it... and i dont have the money yet for a stand alone system, so i gotta deal with what i have.

like i said in previous posts, all marks line up on the pullys and with TDC and far as i know, the BT 20v does not come with a crank or cam angle sensor, but the CoP needs one of them so the system can know when the #1 cyl is at TDC.
and the Crank angle sensor will give me a wasted spark setup and the cam angle will give me a sequential setup. (basically, thats what i understand, unless i got them backwards)

ive saved some of the treads on how to install one, but i would like some info to see if thats what i need and/or shouldve had to start with.

What would i need and any other info on the subject would be helpful. thnx.

"Straight roads r for fast cars, turns and corners r for fast drivers." - a good friend

1986 'Rolla GTS 20v BT (Elizabeth, named after my daughter 17Aug2005 - 23Jul2010)
1999 Durango (givin to me by a friend and a fellow army vet... thnx tommy!!)
2009 Logitech G27 on a custom made frame/seat with external e-brake
2001 Initial D Arcade Stage 1 (full 2 seater machine)

jondee86
Reggae Rules...

4374 posts [96%]
Wellington, NZ

Re: cam angle and/or crank angle sensor needed f ... (ProjectSe7eN) » Reply  Edit

The top part (high voltage) part of the distributor has gone, and the open end
has been blanked off with a cap. The base of the distributor is still there, and it
contains the cam angle sensors. The ECU needs these signals to trigger the
igniter. That signal to the igniter is the same one that triggers your COP's.

Cheers... jondee86

jondee86 has been a member for 735,126 days.

Give a person a fish, they eat for a day. Suggest they search before posting, and they learn a skill for a lifetime.

ProjectSe7eN

29 posts [100%]
Savannah GA

» Reply  Edit

cool, thnx... ive got that capped off and everything is wired like it should, far as i could tell anyways... ive checked that each of the IGt wires r connected to the ingiter and the IGf goes to the dizzy. ive even pinched the return line to see if thatll build up pressure (thinking that it was a fuel issue) but still the same results... 8( i know im getting spark, and im gonna dig deeper into the fuel pump.

the Dr. Tweak harness i got has a blue wire that goes to the fuel pump, i got that connected but cant hear the fuel pump kick on... not sure if im suppose to or not (theres more of my newbness)

"Straight roads r for fast cars, turns and corners r for fast drivers." - a good friend

1986 'Rolla GTS 20v BT (Elizabeth, named after my daughter 17Aug2005 - 23Jul2010)

jondee86
Reggae Rules...

4374 posts [96%]
Wellington, NZ

Re: (ProjectSe7eN) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by ProjectSe7eN »
I've checked that each of the IGt wires r connected to the ingiter and the
IGf goes to the dizzy.

Might be a good idea to check that you have these hooked up correctly. I'm not
a 20V guy, and I don't have a COP conversion, so bear with me The IGt signal
comes from the ECU, and tells the igniter to spark. I'd guess that you tap this wire
to get the IGt signal to each of your coils.

The IGf signal goes from the igniter back to the ECU to tell it the coil (in this case
your OEM coil with no spark output wire) has fired. Neither the IGt or IGf have
anything to do with the distributor.

Cheers... jondee86

Give a person a fish, they eat for a day. Suggest they search before posting, and they learn a skill for a lifetime.

ProjectSe7eN

29 posts [100%]
Savannah GA

» Reply  Edit

Ur right... Its setup like that, I was just confused how to explain it. But, yes, u explained it better and I understand it...

Rasteirinho

24 posts [100%]

Re: (ProjectSe7eN) » Reply  Edit

Do you have the #1 cylinder in TDC, compression stage?
I ask because you could have it on the exhaust stage...
ProjectSe7eN

29 posts [100%]
Savannah GA

» Reply  Edit

if u mean the intake tdc is where both sets of cam gear marks r lined up and the crank gear is at 0 degrees, then yes.

right now im investigating why im not getting power to my fuel pump... 0.o it was when i started, but not now... chasing wires and checking the relys... that may be THE cause or just A cause...

TiGGs87ae86

17 posts [100%]
West Chester Pa

Re: cam angle and/or crank angle sensor needed f ... (jondee86) » Reply  Edit

Can you please tell me where you got that cam angle sensor or how you modified stock dizzy to run coil packs?
jondee86
Reggae Rules...

4374 posts [96%]
Wellington, NZ

Re: cam angle and/or crank angle sensor needed f ... (TiGGs87ae86) » Reply  Edit

Just remove the high tension parts and fit a cap. You can get one from several
suppliers... this is one of them...

http://s-86.com/s-parts-dizzycovers.html

Cheers... jondee86

TiGGs87ae86

17 posts [100%]
West Chester Pa

Re: cam angle and/or crank angle sensor needed f ... (jondee86) » Reply  Edit

Thanks Jondee86!
SwapTech

36 posts [100%]
Summerville SC

Re: cam angle and/or crank angle sensor needed f ... (ProjectSe7eN) » Reply  Edit

Were you ever able to get this problem figured out? If not, give us a call.

-Cam, Tweak'd Performance
http://www.tweakdperformance.com

» Return to Engine - 4A-GE 20V