Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 Hard to shake old habits....Last AE86 for me....First  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last
Author Post
driftcraziiiii

156 posts [100%]
Westernnnnn NE

Re: Hard to shake old habits....Last AE86 for me.... (gaijin_rokurunner) » Reply  Edit

That's a pretty amazing build so far. Wish I had the resources to go ALL out like that! Props.

So far what has this build cost you? That is if you don't mind me asking.

Go eat your emotions.
gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

Re: Hard to shake old habits....Last AE86 for me.... (driftcraziiiii) » Reply  Edit

Engine probably about 16g- everything else including buyin the car another 13-14g
NCdrifterAE86

444 posts [100%]
VA border NC

Re: Hard to shake old habits....Last AE86 for me.... (gaijin_rokurunner) » Reply  Edit

I believe it!
seanperia

1944 posts [99%]
Annapolis MD

» Reply  Edit

I might have to ask to see your car in person and admire since we live in the same state. very few AE86 enthusiasts, kudos
gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

Re: (seanperia) » Reply  Edit

Hey man u can come by and take a look...or come with me out to the shop sometime and see the engine build first hand...if your in Annapolis I'm 20 mins away down 301 shot me a text sometime 240 four seven six 23 five five
GtsTone23

3595 posts [99%]
Chicago IllaNoise

» Reply  Edit

Nice build Tone, I remember when you had that hatch with the white levin front. Change your damn name back to Jspec bro LOL ..... Good luck with the build bro, I'll be watching this one!

"Behind every Successful Man lies a Pack of HATERS,
If they aint Hating Now, They'll be Hating Later"
~GtsTone23~

gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

Re: (GtsTone23) » Reply  Edit

LOL you know that name is still active if you look up members but I forgot the password and I think the email I used back then is long gone...I asked if it can be merged with this name but no luck...oh well.
oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

Re: (gaijin_rokurunner) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by gaijin_rokurunner »
LOL you know that name is still active if you look up members but I forgot the password and I think the email I used back then is long gone...I asked if it can be merged with this name but no luck...oh well.

did you ask Koji, or Moto???

Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/ USE it!

I've been wrong before... and at somepoint in time, I'll be wrong again

gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

Re: (oldeskewltoy) » Reply  Edit

neither responded to my messages or email...even tried Moto on facebook no response
GtsTone23

3595 posts [99%]
Chicago IllaNoise

Quote, originally posted by gaijin_rokurunner »
neither responded to my messages or email...even tried Moto on facebook no response

Back in 99, I remember talking to Moto on the forums .... Post a question and in a few minutes he would answer ........ That was after exiting out of all those pop ups!

"Behind every Successful Man lies a Pack of HATERS,
If they aint Hating Now, They'll be Hating Later"
~GtsTone23~

gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

Re: (GtsTone23) » Reply  Edit

got a hold of Moto on facebook he said he will attempt to merge my accounts this evening or give me access to my original Jspec Performance account.
ronny
RnD Office - Ronny

7077 posts [89%]
Irvine CA

this car is gonan be a BEAST..

need video! (when its done)

VOLK TE37 only....!

project plan- 86 TWINKIES - has Begun..

Basketweaving M-F 7pm plz contact superstarlevin for enrollment

:thumbup:

gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

Re: (ronny) » Reply  Edit

definitely....going to video the engine dyno once the engine is assembled they are doing mock up now...think im going to have to get deeper valve reliefs in the pistons and re-coating since i switched from 9mm lift to 10.7...the header you sold me is going on this engine...and the rear you sold me is in the car already...the avocado lives....
zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

» Reply  Edit

best part in this thread!
gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

» Reply  Edit

Really????? Theres thousands of dollars in parts and you pick the part that cost me 10 bucks on yahoo auction lololol to bad that thing doesnt make hp...it is a pretty trick piece to hold the hood rod though haha
zudog1

1197 posts [96%]
chesapeake va

» Reply  Edit

Yeah sorry man only part that really caught my eye as "doubleuteeeffcoolastihs!"
gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

Re: » Reply  Edit

At the shop today, they have begun the engine mock-up, everything was weighed and documented:

Valve train is 36 grams lighter then stock with the new Ferrea valve train.
CP Pistons with rings and pins are 14 grams lighter then stock each.
Carrillo Rods are 78 grams lighter then stock each.

Total internal weight loss 404 grams almost 1lbs

the HKS stroker crank weighed in at 27lbs

thats it for now

SolidSTI

12 posts [100%]
Monroe LA

Very cool build thread so far. Great to see people really taking care of these cars. I recently purchased an ae86 as my new money pit. For some reason I thought it would be cheaper to mod than my STI or Prelude. Looks like I was wrong.

What are the most common rust areas you found?

gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

Re: Hard to shake old habits....Last AE86 for me.... (SolidSTI) » Reply  Edit

haha opps...you picked the most expensive no value car on the market....older it gets more expensive the parts as well....you can buy a sti cash for what it will take you to get the ae86 to a competitive level. As far as rust...i mainly see it on the fender wells under the stock trim, under the front window seal as well as rear window seal and along the rear under the bumper along the body. I have owned a few that had some really bad cancer on the frame and underbody...usually those came from up north where there was a lot of snow and salty roads..if your going to do it right do it right and cut cancer out weld new metal back in...
SolidSTI

12 posts [100%]
Monroe LA

I still have my STI and she's been really good to me. Never complains.

Yeah, I am realizing this isn't an inexpensive car in anyway aside from the engine.

gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

Re: Hard to shake old habits....Last AE86 for me.... (SolidSTI) » Reply  Edit

Just think after you put 30g into it ....you wont even be able to sell it for 7g...always have to part it out to get at least 3/4 of your money back.
gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

Update:

Half the block is assembled...HKS crank is balanced and in, Tomei crank ladders and ARP hardware have been marked and bolted up....(Quick note for anyone building a block as anally as i am....when you switch from stock main bolts to ARP and also add the ladder crank have your builder line bore the block with them on...We found because of the different way the bolts tighten down the main caps line boring was needed). If you look closely at the crank QuickSilver did a little mod by removing the round press in plugs for the oil passage and replaced them with screw in plugs. The purpose behind this is the round plugs somethings come loose and that causes the oil pressure to drop. We all know with the 4age engine oil pressure is very important if the engine is going to last. Again the block has been ported and polished inside to remove all the sand left over from the casting and all the flashes have been smoothed out...this helps prevent oil from sticking to the sides keeping it in the pan where it belongs and eliminates those little sand particles from coming loosing and tearing up our engine. I recommend it to everyone...takes a few hours but worth the effort. You cant see but the oil pump has been ported out and the Toda oil pump gear put in. It also has the HKS oil pressure up kit pictures above in it.

Intake manifold has been match ported with the intake porting on the head...QuickSilver likes to leave a slight dimpled texture on the intake side for better atomization purposes. Intake ports have been cleaned up concentrating on the short turns and bowl area...the valve stems have been tapered to allow better flow around them also. Bowl work looks great perfectly blended and 3 angle valve seat cut. The spark plug tubes had to be dimpled so the lobes on the cams cleared....now thats lift.

Thats all for now the pistons had to have slightly deeper valve reliefs cut on the exhaust side, intake side and one very small relief made for the edge of the center valve. Sandy is pretty set on all the valves having the same amount of valve to piston clearance across the board. Pistons are now at Swain to touch up the ceramic coating on the crowns.

Next update will include the flow bench results....aiming at 225-230+cfm for the head...that would be an improvement of 55-60cfm over stock or a 25% increase in overall flow. More pictures of the final assembly to come...then dyno time!

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

» Reply  Edit

concerning flowbench testing... from my exp on 16V heads... the exhaust side is the restriction, and causes lost power. When you get a chance I'd love to see the exhaust side port work

Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/ USE it!

I've been wrong before... and at somepoint in time, I'll be wrong again

gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

Re: (oldeskewltoy) » Reply  Edit

Well you know the blacktop exhaust ports are the biggest of all 4ages. Mines have been tapered out to the size of my headers as well as the guides angled like the intakes. They are about 2mm bigger then stock to accomendate the bigger bore and stroke. I have a bigger of the final size prior to smoothing i will post this evening
gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

Heres some of the exhaust work during the final process...guides are angled more then you see...

this is another head im actually doing myself... has alot more port work done...I want to experiment between the one sandy did for me....as you know big ports dont always make more power which is the case for the 20v..but since i had another head I decided to see what he differences really are....will be later down the road though as i need some extra cash to get another set of valves and springs...after my car is done.

dakinestuffladdatt

36 posts [100%]
mililani hi

sup man... cool thread... its an honor to have met u on this site.. i like the fact your o.g..lol. in 1997 i was in seventh grade watching dragon ball z.lol.. cheers dude.
gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

UPDATE:

Just got off the phone with Sandy at Quicksilver....the head was flow bench tested today and came back with a calculated 5 cfm better flow then their best 16v formula atlantic head which was dynod at 243hp.(reason I say calculated is they dont flow their heads in cfm). Head flowed 185cfm at 12 inches of water which converted to 28 inches is 283cfm at 10.7mm lift which is the peak lift of my cams...thats about 267ish cfm at 25 inches of water almost 100cfm more then a stock head. Sandy is real impressed with the head and said he probably could get better flow numbers with bigger port work but doesn't want to jeopardize the torque curve so we will just leave it as it is.

Pistons are on the way back from Swain....once they are back the rest of the engine can be assembled

Modified by gaijin_rokurunner at 10:48 AM 11/20/2012

DrAE86Toreno

127 posts [99%]
Clinton MD

» Reply  Edit

awesome thread!...hopefully I will see this car running around since I live in the area as well!...maybe I can learn a few things in building engines while im here! lol...great thread!
RVAMitchell

27 posts [96%]
Richmond VA

» Reply  Edit

Awesome thread!

I got my 86 from Okinawa!

gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

Re: (RVAMitchell) » Reply  Edit

Thanks that yellow N black kouki coupe was in oki back in 1996..glad to see they are still floating around out there
 First  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs