Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 K24a2 (2006 TSX) Swap 1984 AE86 Panda HatchbackFirst  1 2 >  Last
Author Post
ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

K24a2 (2006 TSX) Swap 1984 AE86 Panda Hatchback Reply  Edit

I've started a build log for my SR5 AE86

Story:
I'm from Los Angeles, CA. Watching my dad working on these cars when I was little, I've wanted an AE86 for a quite a while. My dad must have had about half a dozen of GT-S AE86s before they were "cool" and I use the term loosely because they were always cool. He had them way before the Initial D craze jacked up the prices on these old cars. Too bad he didn't save me one (or two). Guess he had to sell them all, after starting a family and such. Makes sense. Anyway, so I was finally able to get some cash together and buy one. I found some on craigslist and decided on one. I bought a White 1984 Toyota Corolla (RWD) Hatchback from a Vietnamese lady in Sacramento for $800 while I was visiting San Jose, CA. It was her husband's project car. Her husband was in the military, stationed in Korea and they needed to get rid of it as money was short. Had about ~236,000 mi on it. I would consider it a fair deal. I've wanted one for a long time but couldn't find one that I liked, that wasn't molested by "tuners". I wanted something bone stock. I bought it and drove it back home. My dad was a little thrilled to find out that I was getting one. Helped me work on a lot of stuff on the car. He had no idea that these cars had become so popular. He was scratching his head, and couldn't understand it. I don't really get it either, I just like the car.

Anyways, So I drove it for a while, working as a tutor for high school kids in Chemistry, Biology, and some Algebra 2, put about 2,000 miles on it and it blew a head gasket. I was kind of annoyed. That was a long day getting it back home. The lady told me it was in great running condition, and never had a problem but I guess, what does she know. Anyways, I took the head off, had it rebuilt, slapped it back on, readjusted the carb, and it has been running perfect ever since. The alternator was going as well, so I changed that too. Since then, I never had a problem.

While I had it, I gave it a little paint job to clean it up, and put some Koing Rewinds on it that I found on club4ag. I threw a zenki bumper on it that I got from my man Andre at Northridge Toyota. And eventually put some fog lights on it that I got from ebay for $25. I also threw some black leather seats in it from a MK3 Supra. Took all the power seat wiring too! Wiring it up was easy. Everything was in the manual I found in a supra forum (can't remember which one). And I also ended up changing the interior to GTS interior. Personal preference.

A short while later, I found out I got into Med School in TN. So far from home, but I'm not going to turn that down because its far away. So off I went, paid a nice chunk to have the car shipped (~$700). I wasn't to crazy about driving the car 2000 miles across the country.

Some time later I was able to get my hands on an original JDM Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX hatchback with red interior and black exterior (it was originally red panda) and about 100,000 original miles! I bought it from a cool guy in Toronto. Car had some moderate rust that is being fixed at the moment. After that rust is all fixed up I am going to drive that car and when that happens I'm going to start making some real on this swap. For now, I'm just going to be collecting parts and working on wiring.

Done so far:

I have the car (obviously)

-Engine obtained - A 2006 TSX k24a2 motor with ~68K miles on it.
-Adapter and flywheel have been made
-MK1 Supra rear acquired.

What I need (to do) so far

-Get an S2000 tranny (GOT IT!)
-Get an S2000 intake (GOT IT)
-Get an S2000 exhaust manifold (MAKING MY OWN)
-Get OEM TSX wiring harness & ECU (GOT IT)
-Get an OEM TSX Catalytic Converter
-Some nice sounding exhaust system. (Subi STI resonator or something cheap)
-Modify the s2000 exhaust header to fit on K block
-Engine mounts
-Transmission Mounts
-Get driveshaft made
-Modify gas tank and get EVAP, FTP, etc. working (Emissions stuff to pass BAR in CA)
-Wiring up an IS F gauge cluster. Hopefully I can get that to work...I'm checking the wiring diagram now to see if its possible.
-Install LSD in rear end
-Get a nice set of coil overs
-Manual Rack Conversion (just need some AE86 manual rack mount brackets and bushings)
-Polish all aluminum parts (block, intake, valve cover, etc.)

I will post updates as things are completed. This is going to be a slow build since I am in Med School so please be patient. I only work on it during the weekends that I actually have free. 50%-75% of them are taken up studying.

After I am done I will post a nice DIY for anyone that wants to try it. This guide will be universal to all K engines except the wiring part will be different because I am going to keep the drive by wire (for now until I get the car BAR'd then I'm going to use the RSX wire harness and K-Pro.) I will add that into the DIY when it is done.

FYI, if you have any parts listed that I need and are willing to sell please email me.
Also if you are handy with milling machine or CNC please chime in. I may need an adapter made for the intake. If its to pricey I'll just make one on the milling machines at Vanderbilt.

ariefrancis at gmail

Wish me luck.

P.S. Any help, advice, or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!<br /><br />
Modified by ariethekid at 2:29 PM 8/18/2012<br /><br />
Modified by ariethekid at 6:48 PM 8/20/2012<br /><br />
Modified by ariethekid at 5:07 PM 8/21/2012<br /><br />
Modified by ariethekid at 5:09 PM 8/21/2012

Modified by ariethekid at 10:40 PM 11/21/2012

Build Thread: 1984 AE86 SR5 K24A2 Engine Swap

ga_goosh

2498 posts [100%]
far enough to require shipping HTX

Re: K24a2 (2006 TSX) Swap 1984 AE86 Panda Hatchback (ariethekid) » Reply  Edit

good luck. how about some starter pics of the engine or the car or both

I <3 my AE86

Kouki 86-87 Service Manual
4AGE Diagnostic Manual
Toyota Wiring Repair Manual
20V Blacktop fsm
.......USE THEM!!!.......

TEXAS 86 Forum
http://www.86garage.com

ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

Re: K24a2 (ga_goosh) » Reply  Edit

The car (THE MAN)

Honda Soul (THE LEGEND)

TSX goodness

IS 250 Gauges

The Adapter plate I got made

Clutchmasters Flywheel

Scored a Transmission for a good price and low miles

There you go for now. More coming later...

Modified by ariethekid at 6:46 PM 8/20/2012

ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

Re: K24a2 (ariethekid) » Reply  Edit

reserved

ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

taken

ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

mine

ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

gimme

missile

79 posts [100%]
beechwood

if i was in ur situation, i would forget about the swap, sell the engine and sr5, and buy a fr-s. and if feel like wrenching, maintain the rhd 86.
unless of course ur a certified mensa genius and u can juggle med school with one-of-a-kind motor swaps. and if u are a genius, u shouldn't be messing with cars. you should be making the world a better place.
just kidding. good luck and shake the haters. (if u have any.)

"everybody and their momma has an 86," says the autozone worker who also claims to have had a set of sakuras.
ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

Re: K24a2 (missile) » Reply  Edit

lol. I'll get an FR-S too. As soon as I graduate. Med school isn't as bad as people make it sound. Yeah its tough but definitely do-able.

I like a challange though. I also like bringing new tech to older cars. I also don't want to do swaps that everyone else is doing. Especially if I have the skills to do something different.

I don't have any haters At the moment, so far just a lot of supporters and curious on-lookers.

I got the engine for such a good deal and I thought it would be a good idea. Plus the rhd 86 is not something I want to be using as a daily driver. I'm the guy that likes driving the sleepers. This car will definitely be quick when its done.

ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

The IS250 Gauge cluster being able to run in this setup looks promising. I will have to get a different fuel sender because the ohms readings are different at different levels. Or maybe I can get/make an adapter that will do that? The wiring doesn't look too bad though. More updates coming...

MidTenn Drifter
Cone Pilot

1571 posts [100%]
Murfreesboro TN

» Reply  Edit

What med school in Tennesse?

<12 Racing -- We don't know what it means either

I once was lost, but now I'm found.

ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

Re: (MidTenn Drifter) » Reply  Edit

Meharry

ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

Re: (ariethekid) » Reply  Edit

pictures as promised..

marley4us

649 posts [97%]
somewhere ca

very cool swap, i love this its going to be very different, post more pics!
ariel_86

226 posts [99%]
Kaysville Ut

I showed this to a friend that is into Honda's and Corollas. He says you should swap the head on the K24 with one from a K20. Better flow/power potential possible from the K20 head. Have you thought about that?

1985 Corolla Coupe - Autocross slut, drifter wannabe, and current DD.
Physics for your head!
~ TRD aka KF7LNI
ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

Re: (ariel_86) » Reply  Edit

Yes I have actually. My friend has a k20/k24 turbo build (15 psi) build also. It makes easy power. I plan on putting a head from a k20z3 as I hear they are the best k20 heads. As soon as I get the car Bar'd I'm going to swap it over and get a K-pro but for now its got to stay stock. BAR people don't like head swaps and definitely not K-pro...

ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

Just got a transmission today. Items needed list is getting shorter. Hope to make it even shorter this weekend.

ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

Got all the wiring harnesses. Wiring is in progress.

corollarollas

6543 posts [90%]

» Reply  Edit

are you making your own harness or outsourcing that job?
ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

Re: (corollarollas) » Reply  Edit

Nope. I do it all myself. Im transferring much of the wiring over already because im keeping the drive by wire for now. (For smog purposes) I just have to power it and make good grounds for the wiring and it should fire right up. I have the full wiring diagrams for the Tsx, ae86, s2000, and is250/350 (for the gauge cluster.)

After I am done I will make a very thorough DIY for others to try it. I think it is an amazing swap with much more potential to make easier power than the f20/22 swap. Stock for stock the K24a2 has more torque than the f22. Plus you can net almost 40whp from bolt-ons and a reflashed ecu. So similar hp with a higher flatter torque curve.

Modified by ariethekid at 6:36 PM 9/11/2012

superdougy

573 posts [100%]
San Ramon Ca

Re: K24a2 (2006 TSX) Swap 1984 AE86 Panda Hatchback (ariethekid) » Reply  Edit

I had the same tranny sit dry for almost a year indoors in SoCal. I ended up having to replace a bearing in it due to light rust deposits. Might want to put some fluid in yours to preserve it.

I have an extra S2k intake I can sell you. Pm me.

Moving Nov 4th!! Seibon, TRD, Greddy, Prothane plus FREE PARTS!!!!
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=112409

!961 Mini AWD b20
http://www.superfastminis.com/AWD_MINI.htm

!985 Toyota Corolla GTS Levin f22c

http://forums.club4ag.com/zero...86909

ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

Re: K24a2 (superdougy) » Reply  Edit

Thanks for the tip. Which bearing was it? I bought it from a guy who kept it in his garage for a while. I keep it in a closet in the house. Hopefully its ok.

superdougy

573 posts [100%]
San Ramon Ca

I don't remember specifically which bearing it was just that it resulted from siting dry.

Hey, what is the name of the shop down in Garden Grove where you got the tranny adapter?

These guys sell the intake adapter.
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1428707

Moving Nov 4th!! Seibon, TRD, Greddy, Prothane plus FREE PARTS!!!!
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=112409

!961 Mini AWD b20
http://www.superfastminis.com/AWD_MINI.htm

!985 Toyota Corolla GTS Levin f22c

http://forums.club4ag.com/zero...86909

ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

Re: K24a2 (superdougy) » Reply  Edit

Its called ballade sports.

Oh and I've tried getting in touch with those guys before. No luck though. I might be allowed to chop the intake on the k24 and flip it around though. I talked to one of the guys at the BAR office and he said its a case by case basis. If everything works and it doesn't cause any problems with emissions they will test it and if its good they will give me the sticker. We shall see.

Defect02

20 posts [100%]
Fontana CA

Very interested to see this thing finished keep it up man
ae86luis

724 posts [100%]
Garfield nj

Re: K24a2 (Defect02) » Reply  Edit

Nice swap I'm doing same swap except using a free k24a4 motor and I'm just collecting parts at the moment
ae86luis

724 posts [100%]
Garfield nj

Re: K24a2 (ae86luis) » Reply  Edit

I know u said u tried contacting them but here is there we page just look under s2000 and all the swap parts are there at least the main stuff will use http://www.balladesports.com/p...ngine
karate_crimson

8227 posts [89%]
Southern CA

Re: K24a2 (ae86luis) » Reply  Edit

Was wondering when you'd post a build thread, very interesting approach. Best of luck to you!
ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

Re: K24a2 (karate_crimson) » Reply  Edit

Thanks. Currently working on the wiring. I'll probably have engine/tranny mounted after new years. Med school is keeping me a Lil busy. I'll put a diy up fit any other brave souls that want to try it.

toyotanut

64 posts [100%]
clarksvile tn

» Reply  Edit

Would love to come down and check out the build and maybe lend a hand if your down? Im up in clarksville tn.
 First  1 2 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs