Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 K24a2 (2006 TSX) Swap 1984 AE86 Panda HatchbackFirst  < 1 2   Last
Author Post
ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

Re: (toyotanut) » Reply  Edit

Thanks! PM me your number. I'll hit you up when I start working on the heavy stuff.

Build Thread: 1984 AE86 SR5 K24A2 Engine Swap
ae86luis

724 posts [100%]
Garfield nj

Re: K24a2 (ariethekid) » Reply  Edit

What ecu u going with ?? I'm planning on using Aem ems 4
ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

Re: K24a2 (ae86luis) » Reply  Edit

That's cool you're doing the swap too. I just saw your comment. I'm using the stock ECU right now but I'm probably going to go with kpro. What do you prefer? What's easiest to learn or work with?

Modified by ariethekid at 10:30 PM 11/27/2012

ae86luis

724 posts [100%]
Garfield nj

I gotta Honda tech buddy who worked for Honda so I got box full of all the connectors I need , and according to my bud Aem is easier to work with and tune , I wanted to just go with stock ecu and harness but rather wire this up once and right the first time
ElChinoxNJ

108 posts [100%]
San Jo CA

If I could throw in my 2cents since ive been through the BAR'd oddball swap process before...

I wouldnt listen to the BAR office guy, a cut and flipped intake will never fly with any ref. If that was the only way to do it i would hide the welds with heat wrap or something.

I'd also ask around your area to see which ref is most lenient. The old san jose ref had a reputation of being overly strict, so I had to go 3 cities up to get it BAR'd with that ref.

You're going to run into the same problem as me where you are going from a transverse engine set up to a rwd. By the book this should not fly. I had to show him pics of 2 different peoples BAR stickers of GZE into 86's, and wait for the ref to make plenty of longgg phone calls to his boss.

Lastly when you go in for your appointment pretend you know nothing about cars. When he asks what tranny is behind the engine since its now rwd your answer should be something like "I dont know, a shop did the swap for me, im not sure ect..."

In the end its worth it, most people mod after the BAR sticker and you dont have to dirty smog.

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: K24a2 (ElChinoxNJ) » Reply  Edit

Man that BAR stuff is nuts! Our emissions check: 10 bucks, pressure test gas cap, visually verify cat in place, sniffer in the tailpipe, CEL on? Have a nice day!!
ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

Re: K24a2 (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

I might just say screw it and register the car in Mississippi. My uncle lives there. They don't even smog there either.

ae86luis

724 posts [100%]
Garfield nj

Sucks about emissions issues u gotta deal with , but here's a question any thoughts on motor mounts and clearance with trans just curious what u plan or thoughts on that
ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

Re: K24a2 (ae86luis) » Reply  Edit

I'm making adaptor plates that work with the s2000 JSP mounts. As far as clearance, it shouldn't be any different than the s2000 swap. Have you started working on that already? If you have a different approach i'm curious to hear what it is.

ariethekid

492 posts [100%]
LA area CA

Quote, originally posted by ElChinoxNJ »
If I could throw in my 2cents since ive been through the BAR'd oddball swap process before...

I wouldnt listen to the BAR office guy, a cut and flipped intake will never fly with any ref. If that was the only way to do it i would hide the welds with heat wrap or something.

I'd also ask around your area to see which ref is most lenient. The old san jose ref had a reputation of being overly strict, so I had to go 3 cities up to get it BAR'd with that ref.

You're going to run into the same problem as me where you are going from a transverse engine set up to a rwd. By the book this should not fly. I had to show him pics of 2 different peoples BAR stickers of GZE into 86's, and wait for the ref to make plenty of longgg phone calls to his boss.

Lastly when you go in for your appointment pretend you know nothing about cars. When he asks what tranny is behind the engine since its now rwd your answer should be something like "I dont know, a shop did the swap for me, im not sure ect..."

In the end its worth it, most people mod after the BAR sticker and you dont have to dirty smog.

I wonder if making it look as stock as possible, with all the engine cover plastics to hide that intake would help along with playing dumb. Do they start pulling all that stuff off? and look in every crack? I mean as long as its not throwing codes, and numbers are good are they going to get fussy and start looking super close at everything? If you found a chill ref in San Jose area, I wouldn't mind taking it there. I'm in the area once or twice a year anyways. But I will look around for a chill ref in So Cal area.

Thanks for the tip!

ae86luis

724 posts [100%]
Garfield nj

Quote, originally posted by ariethekid »
I'm making adaptor plates that work with the s2000 JSP mounts. As far as clearance, it shouldn't be any different than the s2000 swap. Have you started working on that already? If you have a different approach i'm curious to hear what it is.

Not at that point yet but I thought of doin the same but thought o getting theming kit from balladesports that they have which mount right into and s2k but I like ur idea better

ElChinoxNJ

108 posts [100%]
San Jo CA

Any smog check including the ref they are not allowed to disassemble or remove anything, but anything they can see with a flashlight and a mirror is fair game. Yes they will check every crack. When I got my car BAR'd the ref did the visual inspection before the emissions test ( most people fail the visual part). I hear the new San Jose ref is cool, my old co-worker got like 78 B series civic BAR'd there. Otherwise I went to Alameda.
VitriumGTS

4730 posts [96%]
San Jose/San Diego CA

Where did your friend get his civic swapped? I'm looking to put something newer into my 81 1st gen accord. The carbed engine is a nightmare to source parts for.

My RHDJapan.com receipt said: "Your order # is: 100001986". The AE86 gods really are looking out for me.
 First  < 1 2   Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs