Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 Megasquirt for Dummies: 20v 4AGE [No 56k]First  1 2 3 4 5 >  Last
Author Post
turbo4agte

260 posts [100%]

Megasquirt for Dummies: 20v 4AGE [No 56k] Reply  Edit

Im trying to wire up a MS2 on a 20v 4AGE. I have not purchased the MS yet or any other components, just the engine itself which is on its way with no harness or ECU, but all sensors. I will be using a 12 foot MS Harness and wiring up to a pre-assembled MS, both from http://www.diyautotune.com.

If anyone can help, please reply. Please do not post links to msefi, megamanual, or other techno babble. The purpose of this topic is for someone who knows nothing about Megasquirt or whats needed, and how to install it sucessfully with no required speciality except for general soldering/splicing skills and a decent tool set. Please try to only cover the basics: Engine control, starting circuit, charging circuit. As nice as gauges, AC, PS, fan control, diagnosis connectors, stuff for emissions, etc... are nice... they are not required to get the car starting and driveable. If the OEM Toyota sensor does not work with MS, please refer to the GM sensor that needs to be adapted, and if possible always show accompanying pictures. Also if wiring something differs depending on what version MS you have please try and make it so that us dummies comprehend. Finally, if there are required capacitors or resistors, etc.. please try and make it as clear as possible what you are describing to do.

For the purpose of the easiest and most widely known sucess and compatibility, this will be regarding standard bank injection with stock high impedance injectors, and the use of the EDIS-4. If you plan on explaining what to do on the stock distributor or high impedance injectors, please be prepared to post accompanying pictures step, by step, and with a clear diagram or dont post at all.

Let's get started!
This is what Im working with:

I've labelled most of the basic sensors needed with its general location, etc, here is the key:

A1: Injector Power
A2: Injector Ground
B1: Injector Power
B2: Injector Ground
C1: Injector Power
C2: Injector Ground
D1: Injector Power
D2: Injector Ground
E1: Throttle Position Sensor - Pin 1
E2: Throttle Position Sensor - Pin 2
E3: Throttle Position Sensor - Pin 3
E4: Throttle Position Sensor - Pin 4
F1: VVTI - Pin 1
F2: VVTI - Pin 2
G1: Intake Air Temp Sensor - Pin 1
G2: Intake Air Temp Sensor - Pin 2
H1: Coolant Temp - Pin 1
H2: Coolant Temp - Pin 2
J1: O2 Sensor - Wire 1
J2: O2 Sensor - Wire 2
J3: O2 Sensor - Wire 3
J4: O2 Sensor - Wire 4
K1-K12: EDIS Pin 1-12
L1: VR Sensor 1
L2: VR Sensor 2

Below is the pinout for the MS harness from DIY Autotune:

Please help mix and match. I do know how to use a DVOM know exactly how electrical circuits work (atleast OEM ones), resistors, volts, ohms, amps, rosin core soldering, etc... But I'd like to have this so simple that even if I didn't know how those things worked or how to do those, I could still follow this page and figure out how to wire up the MS. Thanks.

Modified by turbo4agte at 2:32 AM 8/30/2007

Modified by turbo4agte at 2:15 AM 8/31/2007

turbo4agte

260 posts [100%]

Re: Megasquirt for Dummies: 20v 4AGE [No 56k] (turbo4agte) » Reply  Edit

Just some guesses on some connectors:

A1: Pin 32
A2: Pin 33
B1: Pin 34
B2: Pin 35
C1: Pin 32
C2: Pin 33
D1: Pin 34
D2: Pin 35
E1: ?
E2: ?
E3: ?
E4: ?
F1: ?
F2: ?
G1: Pin 20
G2: Pin 17, 18, or 19
H1: Pin 21
H2: Pin 17, 18, or 19
J1: O2 warming - 12v (switched)
J2: O2 warming - Grounded
J3: O2 signal positive: Pin 23
J4: O2 signal ground: Grounded
K1: Pin 24
K2: ?
K3: Pin 36
K4: ?
K5: L1
K6: L2
K7: ?
K8: ?
K9: ?
K10: ?
K11: ?
K12: ?
L1: K5
L2: K6

Is any of this even close to correct?

Jezza

52 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

I hope this turns into a good tech reference as you want it to. it will work out for me in the future if it does.

One question though, for what benefits have you chosen the MSII over the MSI?

muythaibxr

1035 posts [100%]

Re: (Jezza) » Reply  Edit

When I get back to redoing my wiring I'll take plenty of pics... I'm not using EDIS though, as I prefer using the stock dizzy to drive a COP or wasted-spark setup.

BTW, the stock silvertop injectors are not low-impedance, they're high impedance.

Ken

turbo4agte

260 posts [100%]

Re: (muythaibxr) » Reply  Edit

Thanks. Will correct it.

In the meantime, can you help connect the pins on anything at all?

muythaibxr

1035 posts [100%]

Re: (turbo4agte) » Reply  Edit

should be able to when I get some time.

Right now I'm still at work (11 PM), and my notes are at home.

sunami02

871 posts [100%]
Griffin GA

Hey ken, I finnally got my car to turn over.....but it running hella rich and takes forever to start......i was wondering if your willing to give me your spark and ve table....I using the v3 board and individual coils as well thanks

kelvinse4@yahoo.com
emailed it to there please thanks

chrisluvsamanda

36 posts [100%]
edinburgh pa

Re: (sunami02) » Reply  Edit

Any updates on this thread? Any chance this can get stickied?
muythaibxr

1035 posts [100%]

Re: (chrisluvsamanda) » Reply  Edit

don't know about the sticky, but I'll be updating with pics as I take them.

Ken

abbeylives

295 posts [100%]
Clearwater FL

» Reply  Edit

way to go, many of us are in similar situations and the knowledge is out in our community bummipty show us some love
evfan42

196 posts [100%]
Grayland WA

» Reply  Edit

On a realated note doesw anybody know how to connect the VVT system to the megasquirt?

1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 *Silvertop Swap in Prgress*
1976 Datsun 280Z -sold-

Enjoying a little of Japan

USMC

muythaibxr

1035 posts [100%]

Re: (evfan42) » Reply  Edit

Create a circuit like the bottom left corner of this, but use a TIP120 instead of a 2n2222a (higher current) in the proto area, and run the required output wire to a spare pin on the db37. Just hook the input of this circuit to one of the spare pins on the CPU (the 1k resistor). Be sure to include the 1n4001 diode:

evfan42

196 posts [100%]
Grayland WA

Thanks for the help, but I should've specified, I have a Version 3.0 board, is there a difference?

thanks

1976 Datsun 280Z -sold-

USMC

evfan42

196 posts [100%]
Grayland WA

bump

1976 Datsun 280Z -sold-

USMC

yetzqwikdohc

872 posts [100%]

anyone have info on how to wire up the 20v IAC? That would be nice
wrenchdad

339 posts [100%]
Natchez MS

Re: (yetzqwikdohc) » Reply  Edit

Yes I have used this diagram here and it works. I am going to try to post the link but I haven't been very successful doing that yet.

[URL][/URL] http://www.msextra.com/viewtop...art=0

I don't know if that worked or not, I clicked the button for inserting a web link but it doesn't look right.
If it doesn't work go to msextra.com and under MS2/Extra search for this title, the diagram is on the first page about half way down.

TITLE Setting up MS2 v3 on 4age 20v Levin with stock ignition/dizz

Hope that helps
wrenchdad

Modified by wrenchdad at 11:04 AM 11/18/2007

" Second place is just the first loser" the late Dale Earnhardt
muythaibxr

1035 posts [100%]

Quote, originally posted by evfan42 »
Thanks for the help, but I should've specified, I have a Version 3.0 board, is there a difference?

thanks

It doesn't matter... that circuit will still work with the v3 board.

Ken

DrHess

712 posts [100%]
Fay AR

» Reply  Edit

Hey wrenchdad, long time...

I tried that IAC circuit and I haven't been sucessful at all with it. What settings are you using in MT?

wrenchdad

339 posts [100%]
Natchez MS

Re: (DrHess) » Reply  Edit

HEY Hess!!!

How are all your MS projects going? Bike, truck, car, etc....

The idle control, which way are you going, warmup only or closed loop? I started with warmup and now I am trying to run closed loop and having "some" success.

I can shoot you my latest msq if you want to try it or take a look at the settings. It seems to work, except for sometimes some loping that I am trying to work out. But I have it setup where it will catch when my AC cuts on at idle and that was a major task. Hard to understand what each setting does. It also seems that you need to set the temperature range for something like 50-205 degrees F so that it works right, at least that is what I have seen.
I would post a picture BUT someone will have to tell me how because I have not had any success with it here.
I am now running the latest HR code and if you have not switched over to it, you should give it a try. I am up to a combined mpg of almost 38 to date with a lean cruising AFR.

What kind of problems are you having with the IAC circuit? Have you had any luck with just warmup and changing the settings and seeing the idle go up or down?

just let me know how I can help.
later wd

wrenchdad

339 posts [100%]
Natchez MS

Re: (DrHess) » Reply  Edit

Hess,

Tried to send you my msq but you must have a new E address. Shoot me a line and I will send you my setup.

later wd

katopunk

19 posts [100%]
Penang

» Reply  Edit

i heard that we need to mod something in order fo MS to work. may i know what does we need to mod? and is it compulsory to change the stock disty into EDIS to run MS? i hope that MS are able to run on stock disty. thanks in advance.
muythaibxr

1035 posts [100%]

Re: (katopunk) » Reply  Edit

The MS can run the stock distributor no problem with some mods to the MS. You'll need to build a second trigger VR conditioner and wire that into the MS, and possibly put a pullup resistor on one of the LEDs, and run a wire for that to one of the spare pins on the MS.

Ken

evfan42

196 posts [100%]
Grayland WA

» Reply  Edit

Does anybody have a msq for a silvertop with EDIS that is willing to share with me?

1976 Datsun 280Z -sold-

USMC

volvotuner

4 posts [100%]
Caliper Land CA

» Reply  Edit

Hey I have recently got my friend's 20 valve swap running on MS1 and I am looking for maps to get him around town with. Anyone got anything they want to share?
markshatchi86

1706 posts [99%]

Re: (volvotuner) » Reply  Edit

sucks my old 20v thread got lost on the crash, so much good info lost.

86 hatch- 20v black Top- megasquirt with EDIS - the 1st MSed 20v
http://www.accordclub.com/rolla
85 coupe - 408whp 1.7L 4agte - 1.5 bar
http://www.accordclub.com/rolla3
86 hatch - SR20DET that lost its heart
http://www.accordclub.com/rolla2
72 datsun 510 SR20DET - almost done
http://www.floridaracing.org/510
07 350z Enthusiast - sus and stereo, daily beater

evfan42

196 posts [100%]
Grayland WA

Re: (markshatchi86) » Reply  Edit

yeah, that sucks, I prolly couldav been able to use it as well.

BTW I think its funny how you have a picture of a Toyota AE86 on an accord club website

1976 Datsun 280Z -sold-

USMC

aesthetics82

1118 posts [99%]
Oceanside CA

I'm trying to set up my vvt on my silvertop and I have a question. My output for vvt is output 1 (x4). How do I input, in Megatune, the rpm's that I want vvt to turn on and off? Here is a screen shot of the menu in Megatune. Where can I input rpm?

wrenchdad

339 posts [100%]
Natchez MS

Re: (aesthetics82) » Reply  Edit

Here is the screen shot for my VVT setup on my ST, the settings are
ON at 4500 rpm
OFF at 8000 rpm
OFF at 4000 rpm

well that didn't work still haven't figured out how to insert pics.

BUT anyway the top line is set to "RPM"
next line = 45
next line = 5
next line = 80
last line = normal

hope that helps
later wd

SUPADAVE

82 posts [100%]
ft.lauderdale fl

» Reply  Edit

anyone live in ft.lauderdale fla with megasquirt setup working?
pandadori

1229 posts [76%]
Doral Florida

» Reply  Edit

hm.. supa dave what's your location i'm in doral mia but i work with pi from here. ask him he knows plenty of this and could help you setup your um.. SETUP haha..

Garage sale, 4 autometer gauges, oil(100 included -4an SS teflon line) water temp(50) x2 sport comp, and ultralite. Momo Cup Vtr Seat, Aluminum Seat Bracket, -4An oil feed line for oil pressure gauge(40). BIG BOY Oil cooler(70), push lock hose and fittings(price per ft), remote oil filter mount. Silvertop Valve Cover, GTS Wheels, fan and clutch. Quickpedals@Gmail.com
 First  1 2 3 4 5 >  Last

» Return to Engine - 4A-GE 20V