Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 Megasquirt for Dummies: 20v 4AGE [No 56k]First  < 23 24 25 26 27   Last
Author Post
yoshimitsuspeed

286 posts [100%]
Carbondale Co

Re: (wrenchdad) » Reply  Edit

I am trying to build a MS3 right now to run my engine. I am hoping to get away without the MS3X for now but would like to implement it at some point.
I am totally new to building or using MS3 so I am totally cluless to what actually needs to be done to make some of these work. I want to build it for now like a PNP so I can switch back to the stock ECU.

I have a turbo blacktop but it's running on a GZE ECU. For the most part you can think of this like setting up a PNP for a GZE but the only real differences I can think of are the AFM (which I assume MS won't even need) and I wired the injectors together in dual batch like the GZE is wired.
BT dizzy, coil, ignitor, TPS etc, 380 cc injectors to work with the GZE ECU.

I am fine running a wasted spark setup and dual batch injection for now.
Can the basic MS3 board do all this? I assume it should be able to.
How do I set it up for the BT dizzy, coil and ignitior?
Will it be able to trigger VVT and how do I configure the board to do that?
Do I really need the daughterboart talked about a couple posts above to control Idle?

http://matrixgarage.com/
AW11
E51
Blacktop, all stock internals
4AGZE ECU, 3SGTE AFM, 4runner coil, DSM T25, 1JZ 380CC injectors, W2A IC
Rasteirinho

24 posts [100%]

Re: (yoshimitsuspeed) » Reply  Edit

Hi,

I would like to know what injection timing are you using?
Is it fixed or it changes depending on VVT position?

I think the timing should be advanced when VVT is engaged as the IVO earlier.

Thanks.

Regards,
Pedro

Gavin

1364 posts [100%]

Re: (Rasteirinho) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Rasteirinho »
Hi,
I would like to know what injection timing are you using?
Is it fixed or it changes depending on VVT position?

Though injection timing is an interesting topic, its not something that EFI tuners typically concern themselves with. In this case 2 injections occur during each cylinder's cycle, and so there is always latent atomized fuel in the port and an injection occurring somewhere near when the valve opens. This is all happening so fast that any difference becomes trivial.

I have not seen a timing value for this in MS. If we are talking about sequential injection I'd imagine its in there. I have not tried this yet.

Gavin

Foundsoul

60 posts [100%]

Re: (Gavin) » Reply  Edit

Injection timing is fully adjustable using MS2 Extra firmware on an MS2 in a sequential application (4cyl seq max with MS2) and with MS3 in a seqential application up to 10cyl. MS3 also supports up to four VVT outputs, though I believe injection timing is fixed and not moved relative to VVT changing the cam position. I'll have one of our engineers comment on that, if we don't do it, it's a good idea and we'll discuss adding that in! I think we're splitting hairs accomodating for that, but there's no reason not to.

I would start by timing your injection event to END just before the intake valve opens or just after it opens.

Modified by Foundsoul at 8:44 AM 9/18/2012

Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
http://www.DIYAutoTune.com
Foundsoul

60 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

Just chatted with the lead developer on the MS3 firmware (James Murray in the UK) and the code already supports shifting the injection timing in response to a change in VVT cam position/timing.

Good callout, and I'm glad to confirm we're already on top of it!

Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
Foundsoul

60 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

Doh! Hit refresh (this has been sitting open in a browser tab since my last post) and it duplicated my post... dup post deleted.

Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
eightysixer23

361 posts [100%]
City Of Angels

Re: Megasquirt for Dummies: 20v 4AGE [No 56k] (turbo4agte) » Reply  Edit

Hey what's up guys!! I've owned my 86 for quite a while now and after I blew my 16v I decided to get my self into a 20v. I got my set up from a friend who had it running his . He bought the car with the swap. The 20 v swap comes with the ms 2.3 I believe or something like that running the edis ford system. It's all wired up and was pulled from his car running! Going throught Megasquirt for dummies and many other tech threads to get my head wrapped around the whole 20v ms set up I've come to find that there are a couple things that aren't wired. For instance my vvt isn't wired at all. And there are a couple other sensors that aren't wired . What are the pros and cons of not having the Vvt hooked up and how can I wire it up( keep it simple I'm new to the ms) I'm mechanically inclined just new to this. Can anyone shine some light on this. Thanks much!
foonix

65 posts [100%]
null null

Re: Megasquirt for Dummies: 20v 4AGE [No 56k] (eightysixer23) » Reply  Edit

Welcome! If you are totally new to MS, my advice is just be aware that it can seem overwhelming, but remember it is by no means impossible to understand, and just take it in little chunks at a time. Feel free to open up a new thread and I'll answer as much as I can.

The exact answer on how to hook VVT up depends on a lot of factors, so there is not a simple answer really. It depends on what other input/outputs are already in use and for what. Here is the relevant megasquirt doc:

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/spare.htm

The DIY autotune article is probably easier to read, so give that a look as well:

http://www.diyautotune.com/tec...ut_v3

The gist of it is that have to find an unused output pin on the CPU, set up a transistor to step up the amperage, and then either have the transistor activate a relay wired to activate the vvt solenoid, or depending on how much the transistor steps up amps it might be used to power the vvt solenoid directly.

For all I know, the guy who build your MS already set up something for this purpose and you just have to find it.

The circuit to build in the ECU in the prototyping area to run the relay uses these parts:

http://www.diyautotune.com/cat....html

Then it's just a wire from the coil side of the relay to the ECU, +12v wire to the coil side of the relay, another +12v wire to the vvt solenoid, a wire from the other pin on the solenoid to the switched side of the relay, and a wire from the other side of switched site to ground.

As to the pros/cons, I don't have the dyno time under my belt to speak from authority, but the general consensus among forum warriors seems to be that VVT can improve [mid, top) range power, at least if using stock internals and piping.

Don't worry about which sensors are not being used, just look in tuner studio and make sure it is getting a signal for each major thing. IE, make sure it has an air intake reading, water temp reading, etc. It may have been set up with non-stock sensors so the original sensors may be unused.

eightysixer23

361 posts [100%]
City Of Angels

Re: Megasquirt for Dummies: 20v 4AGE [No 56k] (foonix) » Reply  Edit

hey thanks for the help i appreciate it. check out my thread that i put up maybe you can continue to help me as i have pics and facts up!!!
http://forums.club4ag.com/zero...49363
Rasteirinho

24 posts [100%]

Re: Megasquirt for Dummies: 20v 4AGE [No 56k] (eightysixer23) » Reply  Edit

Who is using ITB Mode?

Could you please post your ITB curves (ITB load TPS switchpoints and ITB load at TPS switchpoint)?

Thanks.

wrenchdad

339 posts [100%]
Natchez MS

Re: Megasquirt for Dummies: 20v 4AGE [No 56k] (Rasteirinho) » Reply  Edit

Which firmware? If you supply an email I can send you my last msq for a MS2 unit running ITB mode.

later wd

" Second place is just the first loser" the late Dale Earnhardt
foonix

65 posts [100%]
null null

Re: Megasquirt for Dummies: 20v 4AGE [No 56k] (Rasteirinho) » Reply  Edit

If I am understanding this correctly, this can depend on how idle is being controlled and where it is set. Any air added by the idle controls while on throttle will decrease the tps% required to exceed %90 barro. It's just something to be aware of when comparing configs.
 First  < 23 24 25 26 27   Last

» Return to Engine - 4A-GE 20V