Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 My 85 Corolla GT-S build / F22c swap thread
Author Post
mtmetzger

13 posts [100%]
Versailles KY

My 85 Corolla GT-S build / F22c swap thread Reply  Edit

Figured I would go ahead and keep a running thread where I can post progress being made on the car and get some feedback from the family on a few things.

I recently bought this car from a friend who has owned it the past 8 or so years and it is the first one I have ever owned.

It is an original GT-S car and it also has:

-KYB AGX short stroke shock setup
-T3 camber plates
-T3 roll center adjusters
-TRD 8k / 6k springs - I'm thinking these will be pretty harsh for such a light chassis
-Cusco sway bars
-T3 panhard bar
-Prothane bushings
-Koyo radiator
-Trust DD exhaust
-Bride seat
-Konig wheels
-brand new redline tail lights
-MR2 manual rack

The original 4AGE engine was pulled and rebuilt / upgraded, but never found its way back into the chassis, so the car has been sitting for a while.

Coming out of hibernation:

Getting used to its new home:

So the first thing I did was a little interior cleanup and swapped the drop vent hood for a stock one. Didnt really take a pics of it, but its sitting on top of the car.

Emtpy bay:

Then I sourced an F22c from a wrecked 2004 S2000. Worked the deal out and just picked up the entire swap and some extras out of the car.

Truck load of S2000:

The star of the show:

That's about all so far. Not a bad start if I do say so myself! I'm debating on using the JSP mounts for this or just making some. I'm not too excited about the subframe spacers so maybe some of you with more experience can ease my mind about the suspension geometry getting all jacked up; or confirm my thoughts. I'm not opposed to cutting the trans tunnel if it will be the better option in the suspension / ground clearance department.

FujiwaraEightSix

3601 posts [99%]

» Reply  Edit

just get some tie rod ends that compensate for the bump steer and you won't even notice the dropped subframe.

-Rick Cunanan
Owner,
SlideYourRide
Check us out on Facebook! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Email/Paypal
FujiwaraCoupe@aol.com

EvoSolley

94 posts [100%]
Louisville Ky

» Reply  Edit

haha im following this thread on 502, cant wait to see the progress and end result! goodluck man.
Deuce Cam

1029 posts [100%]
Chandler AZ

Re: My 85 Corolla GT-S build / F22c swap thread (mtmetzger) » Reply  Edit

This is the best pic I could find on this forum showing showing suspension geometry using sub frame spacers with rca's and tie rod spacers:

The tie rods look roughly level with the ground and the ball joint end of the control arms are higher than the inner sub frame end

In theory it's far from ideal but in reality who knows - definitely a compromise imo.

Parts for sale:

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=99639

mtmetzger

13 posts [100%]
Versailles KY

» Reply  Edit

Thanks for the pic! I'm not too excited about that tie rod spacer either... I believe some tunnel cutting is in my near future!
mtmetzger

13 posts [100%]
Versailles KY

Re: (mtmetzger) » Reply  Edit

Got my bible out and mocking up some wiring connections to see what I can eliminate. (All door wiring, convertible top motors, EPS circuit, air pump circuit, etc)

In theory, most of this stuff will make it in the corolla...

corollarollas

6543 posts [90%]

» Reply  Edit

nice
mtmetzger

13 posts [100%]
Versailles KY

Re: (corollarollas) » Reply  Edit

This is the result of boredom and beer. Not quite sure why the airbag light is on....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtCBbsdNxkE ...and I have no clue how to embed.
EvoSolley

94 posts [100%]
Louisville Ky

» Reply  Edit

ballin, keep the updates comin!
Pasticbmx

12 posts [100%]
Henderson NV

Quote, originally posted by mtmetzger »
This is the result of boredom and beer. Not quite sure why the airbag light is on....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtCBbsdNxkE ...and I have no clue how to embed.

I am so jealous. I would love that speedometer/dashpanel. Can't wait to see how it looks inside your car.

Flipp

37 posts [100%]
clovis nm

» Reply  Edit

will def be looking in on this build you have going. i have a 4agze swap coming along but ive always thought about doing the f20 swap. im wanting to know what your going to do for the drift shaft and cooling. could you possibly go step by step on the harness as well? looking forward to it!
Jay_trueno

2 posts [100%]
Austin Tx

» Reply  Edit

First car you've owned and already dropping an F22 in it? Props, that's the way to do it.
Esenpai

269 posts [100%]
Costa Mesa CA

» Reply  Edit

Be weary of this car once its finished my friend. I've known serval people who owned s2000s and have crashed because its a hell of a lot of car and that with all the advances in suspension since the 86 was made. that engine in this car will be one hell of a ride so take your time go to tracks really get to know your car before you start pushing it. good luck with your build and good luck with it when your done! keep it up!

86' 86 Hatch- forever incomplete project

86' 86 Hatch-almost as forever incomplete

mtmetzger

13 posts [100%]
Versailles KY

» Reply  Edit

Thanks everyone. Sorry I haven't been posting in here. Not much progress has been made since my last post. I got side tracked with a 1jz vvti swap in my buddies sc300 for a couple weeks (spent a lot of time wiring it) and then was on vacation for a week. I'll post up some pics shortly.
This isn't my first car (last count, I've owned over 50 different vehicles, LOL) It's just my first corolla. I will definitely take my time to get used to it though once it's done.
mtmetzger

13 posts [100%]
Versailles KY

» Reply  Edit

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted. Progress has been slow as I was deciding what to do about which direction I want to take the car. Full interior with all S2000 controls or simple, gutted race car. I guess it will be somewhere in between.

I know I'm using the S2000 ignition, key and stalks because the corolla ones were worn out. I couldn't adapt them onto the corolla column so I'll be using the S2000 column with a modified shaft. Random tidbit - S2000's and corollas share the same steering wheel mounting hub, if anyone wants to run an S2000 steering wheel for some reason.

I need to get the dash and S2000 bezel back in before I set the final length and position of the column

Then I got a new toy:

Had to build a cart for it, so I obtained a small shopping cart. Cut it up and make a welding cart. Works great!

Buddy Rob testing out the new cage in the corolla LOL!

Then Rob decided to get a little project of his own:

It's a 1JZ vvti swap for his Sc300. This slowed me down for a couple weeks while I worked through the wiring and a few other things. See how much fun it was?

OK, it's done and out of my garage. Back to the Corolla. The S2000 engine had no good lifting points, so I made these:

Fancy, I also got the oil pan sitting level so I could get an idea of the angle of the engine in the bay.

Pulled the oil pan off for modifications. It needed a little more clearance near the subframe so I could drop it down further. tadaa

couple templates for the filler plate:

The radiator inlet and outlet need to be on the driver side rather than passenger, so I had to cut everything off one site (inlet, outlet, fan mounts, and petcock) and move to the other side:

New holes and existing inlet and outlet:

Both items are at Andrew Dimartino's shop for welding. (http://dimartinofabrication.com/)

On to the mounts! I went with 3/16" for the mounts

That brings everyone up to speed. Should be getting to play with a plasma cutter tonight to get them cut out! Stay tuned!

mtmetzger

13 posts [100%]
Versailles KY

» Reply  Edit

There really is nothing cooler that cutting metal with an arc and some compressed air.

mtmetzger

13 posts [100%]
Versailles KY

» Reply  Edit

There was a little learning curve with the plasma cutter so my cuts weren't the greatest, but it's nothing a little grinding couldn't fix:

Test fitting:

I got the oil pan and radiator back from Dimartino Fab. He did a great job as usual! The oil pan plate was welded inside and out and should work nicely. The radiator turned out very nice as well. You can see the patches he made for the radiator as well as the oil pan:

Then it was time to pull the subframe out...

Test fits (you can see why the oil pan had to be cut):

Cut:

More test fitting: Looks good now!

Welded up:

Then I got it mostly cleaned up, almost ready for paint.

mtmetzger

13 posts [100%]
Versailles KY

» Reply  Edit

Update!

Got some paint on the subframe and reinstalled it:

Then it was time to make some sparks fly!

Daaaaaaaamn!

Threw the transmission back on the engine:

...and put it in the hole. Took quite a while to find the final position and get everything adjusted exactly where I wanted it:

Subframe assembled with mounts and plates:

Then I made these templates and cut them out of 3/16" plate:

Tadaa! All tacked up

Plenty of clearance down here.

And that's how it sits currently. Next up is making the driver side mount, then the transmission crossmember. Hope to have the car supporting this thing over the long weekend.

mtmetzger

13 posts [100%]
Versailles KY

» Reply  Edit

I got the other mount tacked up the other day and pulled them back out for welding. I think they turned out pretty good for a novice! Feedback is welcome.

Look Ma! No hoist!

So Close!

A little trimming here...

A 1/4" spacer at the hinges and dropping the subframe a 1/4" and it shuts! ...with room to spare.

dc.

548 posts [100%]

I have something that might interest you. Shoot me an email: agraygoat@yahoo.com

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs