Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 AW11 4AGZE Knock Sensor
Author Post
heshan

28 posts [100%]
colombo

AW11 4AGZE Knock Sensor Reply  Edit

Hi guys,

New issue brought up by me stupid mechanic.

He has pulled out my knock sensor and told me it was the oil pressure sensor. I know I couldn't tell the difference until I got the error code and decoded it and checked where it came from.

So my question is this; what replacements are there for the knock sensor as brand new ones are crazy expensive.

What other easily accessible toyota engines had the same knock sensor???

Please help.

heshan

28 posts [100%]
colombo

Re: AW11 4AGZE Knock Sensor (heshan) » Reply  Edit

Guys would it be bad for the engine if I run without my knock sensor? Should I replace it before I drive my car?

Sorry about this question but is the knock sensor socket drilled all the way into the block where if I remove the full piece would the engine oil seep out?

Evo_lucian

1584 posts [95%]
Saint Lucia, West Indies

Used 7afe, 4afe and 4age knock sensors before on my 4agze . If the sensor is removed it won't spill oil but the ecu will pull a lot of timing .

Dwight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

A$s¤hoŁ€ since 1986.

The only thing in life worse than being talked about is not being talked about

my site
http://budgetracer.webs.com

heshan

28 posts [100%]
colombo

Re: AW11 4AGZE Knock Sensor (Evo_lucian) » Reply  Edit

Right now my engine is running without the knock sensor connected.

Would that be bad for the engine if I continue to run until I find a replacement knock sensor? I'm also worried about the spark plugs as I just replaced them with the original OEM plugs which cost me quite a bit. The engine misses sometimes in places where the engine gets a load and I'm assuming thats the ECU doing that.

Did you feel any difference between the original and the replacement sensors in terms of performance and smoothness?

Evo_lucian

1584 posts [95%]
Saint Lucia, West Indies

Didn't feel any difference with the other knock sensors.

With no knock sensor in place the ecu has no way of montoring knock and if I recall correctly , it goes into limp mode.

Did you gap the plugs ?

Dwight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

A$s¤hoŁ€ since 1986.

my site

heshan

28 posts [100%]
colombo

I'm using the standard gapping. These are the platinum plugs recommended for the engine so didn't do anything. Should it be?

Also which 4AFE knock sensor should I use? As I found out that diff cars using the 4AFE had diff knock sensor part numbers.

Did the sensor you used from a 4AFE fit directly?

Evo_lucian

1584 posts [95%]
Saint Lucia, West Indies

Honestly these platinum/iridium plugs etc are not worth the price . I run all my cars on cheap ngk copper plugs. I run my celica on 20 plus psi and my 4a was on ngk 6 plus from day 1.

Can't remember the proper gap for the 4agze but check the reference section and gap them down.

I can't remember which 4afe year it was but they all work. They all fit . We have used 4a sensors on 3sgte etc . The only difference usually is the connectors. So just get the sensor and connector from the junk yard.

Dwight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

A$s¤hoŁ€ since 1986.

my site

heshan

28 posts [100%]
colombo

Thanks buddy. Appreciate your help on this.

I think it might have been the knock sensor all this time giving me trouble.

I read somewhere on the forum that a good way to test the sensor is to see how the car moves by accelerating to around 40 and letting it go of the accelerator and see how the car decelerates. If it seems like a forced speed reduction its the sensor kicking in.

Is that true?

yoshimitsuspeed

286 posts [100%]
Carbondale Co

I don't see how letting off the accelerator is going to tell you anything.
What happened to your old sensor? Do you still have it or is it gone? Do you get the knock sensor code when it's plugged in?
I have always been overly cautious with the knock sensors because there is too much we don't know about them. If there are different part numbers then I think there has to be a reason otherwise they could have saved money running the same sensor in more cars.
We do know the biggest thing about sensor selection is engine bore size. Then there are wide frequency and narrow freq sensor. Older toyotas used narrow freq. So from these things I would agree the sensors Evo suggested would probably be your best bet for a close match. But still then why do they go with different part numbers?
The knock sensor is so vital to your motors function that I decided to buy a new one from Toyota.
If the sensor sends out just the wrong signal or picks up harmonics differently this could lead to false positives causing lack in performance from the ECU trying to protect the engine when it doesn't need it. More dangerous than that is if the signal is different or weaker and the ECU doesn't know that there is knock when there is. This could lead to engine damage.

http://matrixgarage.com/
AW11
E51
Blacktop, all stock internals
4AGZE ECU, 3SGTE AFM, 4runner coil, DSM T25, 1JZ 380CC injectors, W2A IC
heshan

28 posts [100%]
colombo

Re: AW11 4AGZE Knock Sensor (yoshimitsuspeed) » Reply  Edit

damn that really puts me in the spot.

The original costs close to 300 USD and that has to be thru Ebay as the Toyota doesn't bring it down in my country.

I was really hoping to go for the 4afe one as Evo said as that could be easily sourced.. I think.. There could be 3 or 4 4AGZEs in my country as the MR2 wasn't very popular over here

I will try it out and if life doesn't get better I'll go for the more expensive option..

What do you guys think?

yoshimitsuspeed

286 posts [100%]
Carbondale Co

Have you tried ordering parts through Lithia Toyota?

It could be hard to know if they sensor wasn't perfectly ideal. If it's way off then it will likely give noticeable signs. If you are in that position though you could try one of those sensors. It will be better than running without one at all.

http://matrixgarage.com/
AW11
E51
Blacktop, all stock internals
4AGZE ECU, 3SGTE AFM, 4runner coil, DSM T25, 1JZ 380CC injectors, W2A IC
Evo_lucian

1584 posts [95%]
Saint Lucia, West Indies

I went through a couple sensors on my 4a , 4afe then 7afe sensor. The only reason I changed it is cause I kept breaking them when installing. My car run on 10.8:1 cr on 9 psi and never had any problems .

I have given friends 4afe, 4age etc sensors to use on various engines, 3sgte , 5afe etc . None of em has ever had a problem. Why Toyota used different knock sensor ? I have no idea. I agree with yoshi in that there may be a difference in sensors but I am a third world country and I don't think anyone down here can afford to spend a couple hundred USD on a sensor, so we just use what we have laying around and to this day we have not once lost or damaged and engine.

Dwight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

A$s¤hoŁ€ since 1986.

my site

Davegt27

1305 posts [99%]

I bought mine at Pep boys it had the cheapest new price

http://www.ownster.com/index.cfm?type=Parts

just put in MR2 Knock Sensor

Davegt27
Code One Racing (C1R)

heshan

28 posts [100%]
colombo

Re: AW11 4AGZE Knock Sensor (Davegt27) » Reply  Edit

Still the cheapest is about 160 USD without shipping.

That's quite steep. This sucks..

» Return to Engine - 4A-GZE, and Supercharger/Turbocharger Projects