Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 4age 20v where to buy?
Author Post
v33sonata

393 posts [99%]
Phoenix az

4age 20v where to buy? Reply  Edit

I have been looking at getting a BT 20v I see them on ebay but worry with the rod issue I might get a dud. Any reliable places to get a BT 20v?

thx

Help me clean out the garage. Lots of 4age, 4agze, 20v and turbo parts for sale. Ask and I probably have :)

gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

Re: 4age 20v where to buy? (v33sonata) » Reply  Edit

Those places should be ok...your going to have to rebuild anyone you buy anyways...especially if you want a reliable engine...u can always check the for sale section alwo people sell their running blacktops from time to time
v33sonata

393 posts [99%]
Phoenix az

Re: 4age 20v where to buy? (gaijin_rokurunner) » Reply  Edit

why are they all messed up? thanks. I'll keep my eyes open there as well.

Help me clean out the garage. Lots of 4age, 4agze, 20v and turbo parts for sale. Ask and I probably have :)
SidewaysEightSix

312 posts [100%]
Peoria Arizona

Talk to Pong at Akina

Modified by SidewaysEightSix at 10:28 AM 12/2/2012

"Win. Drifting picks up dudes. Tennis picks up chicks in hot skirts grunting." - HASportAE86
yoshimitsuspeed

286 posts [100%]
Carbondale Co

What do you mean all messed up?
If you are going off the suggestion that you should rebuild it then it's not about them being messed up. It's that you are getting a motor of unknown condition and if you want to maximize your odds of it being a long time reliable motor then you want to open it up and at least look it over. Compression test and inspect cyl walls. Inspect bearing clearances or even better since you are in there you might as well just replace all bottom end bearings. Inspect or replace oil pump. Replace water pump. Replace rear main seal. Inspect top end and shim clearances and bolt it back together.

http://matrixgarage.com/
AW11
E51
Blacktop, all stock internals
4AGZE ECU, 3SGTE AFM, 4runner coil, DSM T25, 1JZ 380CC injectors, W2A IC
gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

all messed up meaning last year they built these engines were 1998...changes are they sat in a junk yard in japan for several years before being purchased then sat up to the day you purchase it so the oil that was in it would probably be thick sludge, fuel lines and injectors clogged, oil pump toast, water pump rusted, unless you got one physically running before you bought it or a running front cut then yeah your going to have to buy an gasket kit and a few parts to freshen it up.
v33sonata

393 posts [99%]
Phoenix az

Re: 4age 20v where to buy? (yoshimitsuspeed) » Reply  Edit

My plan was to get it in the car get it running and then if anything was being rebuilt it was the 20v head and my 7a block. I have no intentions of rebuilding the 4age if I am not keeping it in there. I guess what I was asking is I see some of these places do test them and warrienty them. I also see that some of the cam gear covers are ripped apart on others. Are alot of these engines blown, or have bad rods? ( I hear this is an issue for the BT) Is there one vender thats better then another ect.......? That kinda stuff.

v33sonata

393 posts [99%]
Phoenix az

Re: 4age 20v where to buy? (gaijin_rokurunner) » Reply  Edit

True but I have thrown junk yard motors that sat for years in my old beater cars and amazinglt had few issues. I'll open up the oil pan, check out the injectors and lines ect, but thats about it. If you read the post above you'll see my plan.

» Return to Engine - 4A-GE 20V