Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 anyone running AEM EMS-4 i have some questions.
Author Post
GTS-COUPE

162 posts [100%]
Lancaster PA

anyone running AEM EMS-4 i have some questions. Reply  Edit

OK I have been looking so far into standalones, my brain hurts lol. Reading into the ignition system AEM EMS-4 does not support falling edge VR signals from our stock distributor/CAS. So I am looking at the 36-1 Crank trigger wheel from T3, they say it wont clear the oil pan on the blacktop? thats a whole other question and strayed from my original question. I am looking to run at minimal a wasted spark COP, with sequential injection. Is this possible without the stock CAS, and just the trigger wheel?

Could this be useful to modify to fit the 20v?
http://www.aemelectronics.com/...-1283

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

» Reply  Edit

I had all kinds of issues installing an EMS-4. USB kept dropping out, and woefully inadequate documentation. Support group is OK. Was a huge headache.

I suggest you get a newer series haltech

Stand Alone ECU tuning. Message me for details.

Looking to buy a corolla manual rack and a TRD 3 gear transmission.
*also wtb 4 point roll cage/bar for ae86 coupe

GTS-COUPE

162 posts [100%]
Lancaster PA

» Reply  Edit

The main reason I am looking into an AEM unit is because thats the only tuner in the area only tunes AEM. I guess perhaps I am doubting myself as too my tuning abilities. I have been researching and researching, but it still is very intimidating.

How do you feel about the Haltech E8?

foonix

65 posts [100%]
null null

Re: anyone running AEM EMS-4 i have some questions. (GTS-COUPE) » Reply  Edit

Not really an aswer to your question, but you might be able to use the 24 tooth wheel with AEM if you reverse the ground and Ne wires, as long as both G's are unused. It should invert the singal. Then grind a tooth or two off for reference points. No idea if AEM supports what would be basically a 12-1 or 24-1 wheel though.

The ideas of grinding teeth and bolting a buz saw to the grank pully both gives me the heebie-jiebees, so I went with a solution that can read the stock CAS.

GTS-COUPE

162 posts [100%]
Lancaster PA

» Reply  Edit

Thanks for chiming in, foonix. I will look into that method more after work, appreciate it!
Hicomp4ag

123 posts [100%]
Okinawa Japan

» Reply  Edit

I have a brand new E8 if your interested, PM me.
gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

Re: » Reply  Edit

Why dont you try the adaptronic 420d...full programable, i have maps already made for it...and anyone who can tune a AEM, Motec or any of those can tune this...cost 1000 bucks and there are already people using them on blacktops including myself....if you need a engine builder and tuner Quicksilver race engines is in Frederick Maryland about an hour south of you..http://adaptronic.com.au AEM hasnt shown any interest in making a setup for the 4ag so its a pain in the ass to use it...
gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

Re: Re: (gaijin_rokurunner) » Reply  Edit

oh and you can rewire the stock distributor to work as a CAS for waste spark or COP setups in batch fire or full sequential so u dont have to buy 24 tooth wheels and stuff....
GTS-COUPE

162 posts [100%]
Lancaster PA

Re: Re: (gaijin_rokurunner) » Reply  Edit

Actually was doing my homework on the adaptronic e420d. I found a US dealer in Michigan bookmarked their page at home. Saw your thread running 1nz coils on their forum "Andy" seems very quick, useful, and informative. I like the "self learning" function on the ecu as well. I will probably end up going this route. I already downloaded their software and started toying with it a little for a little hands on learning. Seems very simple to tune and straight forward. Before I was looking for a standalone for $1000 Pre built with atleast a few base maps from users.

Adaptronic is the way I am headed! Do you mind email attaching some of your base maps? My blacktop is rebuilt to OEM specs. I already have two base maps, but I still like the idea of having a few to start from so I can atleast get it to a tuner.

Thanks for your response gaijin you are always very helpful on the boards!!!

GTS-COUPE

162 posts [100%]
Lancaster PA

Oops forgot!! » Reply  Edit

Oh yeah my email is coupeae86@yahoo.com
Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

» Reply  Edit

basic model doesn't have self tuning does it? Don't you have to upgrade to the "universal" for that?

Stand Alone ECU tuning. Message me for details.

Looking to buy a corolla manual rack and a TRD 3 gear transmission.
*also wtb 4 point roll cage/bar for ae86 coupe

GTS-COUPE

162 posts [100%]
Lancaster PA

Re: (Grant) » Reply  Edit

I believe the difference is flex fuel compatibility.

Why Choose Adaptronic
1 We commit to using factory wiring, sensors and actuators where possible (fewer modifications means lower installation cost and greater reliability).

2 We offer very flexible systems to give you a system with factory-like drivability and fuel economy, with adaptive behaviour to make tuning easy and fast.

3 We offer the highest performance, most powerful ECUs in their price range.

gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

Re: » Reply  Edit

has all the features as any other ecu on the market maybe more...and the fact that you can use oem sensors is a plus...saves lots of money...let me find the base maps and i will email them to you...Andy is fast with responses also...ive spoke with alot of guys using this on 16v and 20v engines with great results...reason its not popular here is because its really unknown...alot of miata guys and rx8 guys are using them....Travis the North American distributor is good to go also..and the 440 model has a flex fuel option and i think can control 8 injectors...i have no need for either...flex fuel is really corrosive and the shop im using Quicksilver did test on their engine performance using it and said for turbo or forced inducted engines its good but for N/A setups its crappy and they went back to 110 Sunoco...
teamkunimitsu

350 posts [100%]
Fukuoka / O.C. ca

» Reply  Edit

hey gts coupe!! i hope you havent purchased another ems. You can run the aem v1 1050 or 1060 box from a honda and use the honda coils without modifying the cam sensor wheel. Its already a 24-1setup. Friend is currently running on it with turbo and im almost done with my harness also! I can help you with the pinouts and what not and you can run the rsx coils to eliminate the dist and ignitor. also eliminate iscv o2 and all other things you dont need to clean up engine bay. Whats also great is if you keep a eye on honda forums you can find em cheap. I picked up mine for 400$.

» Return to Engine - 4A-GE 20V