Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 4AGE 20V: Tomei PonCam vs Kelford 194-A
Author Post
MoonGT

29 posts [100%]
Sylhet

4AGE 20V: Tomei PonCam vs Kelford 194-A Reply  Edit

Would any experts/gurus explain the the difference between Tomei PonCam for 5 Valve and Kelford 194-A

Specification of Tomei PonCam 5 Valve:
Duration (DEG) : IN 264, EX 256
MAX CAM LIFT (mm) : IN 9.00, EX 9.00
MAX VALVE LIFT (mm) : IN 8.76, EX 8.56
COLD VALVE CLEARANCE (mm)y}0.01z: IN 0.24, EX 0.44
VALVE TIMING CENTERLINE (DEG) : IN 120, EX 110
BASE CIRCLE () : IN 32, EX 32

Specification of Kelford 194-A:
Valve Clearance: Intake 0.25mm Set cold at the cam, Exhaust 0.30mm Set cold at the cam
Cam Lift: Intake 8.45mm, Exhaust 8.45mm
Rocker Ratio: Intake 1, Exhaust 1
Nett Valve Lift: Intake 8.20mm, Exhaust 8.15mm
Advertised Duration @ 0.10mm: Intake 264, Exhaust 264
Duration @ 1.00mm VALVE LIFT: Intake 228, Exhaust 228
Timing @ 1.00mm VALVE LIFT: EVO 40 BBDC, EVC 8 ATDC
Suggested Centre Lines: Intake VARI ATDC, Exhaust: 106 BTDC
VALVE Lift @ TDC: Exhaust 1.75mm

From the topic: Engine - 4A-GE 20V > Blacktop engine with Tomei poncams dyno graph http://forums.club4ag.com/zero...47962 it seems that Tomei will the right choice again someone claims that Kelford is better. Therefore I got confused on with which one shall I move forward, please help me in this regard with your experts advice/ideas.

With Regards,
Munawar Helal Chowdhury

GTS-COUPE

162 posts [100%]
Lancaster PA

Re: 4AGE 20V: Tomei PonCam vs Kelford 194-A (MoonGT) » Reply  Edit

I am no guru/expert but here is my take in it.

The PonCam has a higher valve lift, therefore letting more air in and out. I believe this is the highest lift you can run on stock valve train

I plan to run the poncam in the future, it is dyno-proven to give better figures. My take on it... Antyone else chime in?

gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

Re: 4AGE 20V: Tomei PonCam vs Kelford 194-A (GTS-COUPE) » Reply  Edit

I dont think there will to much difference in performance between the two although Tomei have stretched the max lift to the extreme potential of the stock valve train I think Kelford remained a little more conservative..the difference is very minimal 1/4 of a mm if that. Kelford doesn't have any dyno sheets or results with theirs so I would go with what has the documented gains. Just so you guys know the tomei were made to run on stock engines with no ECU mods...if you modify your engines with bigger pistons or higher c/r, valves ect ect and still use these cams your not taking advantage of your upgrades...I see alot of people who are afraid to get rid of the VVT but the you wont make any real power with it..Take for example my setup im using 10.7mm lift 300 duration cams...got a ton of people telling me Im going to end up loosing all my low end power and oly have mid to high end...but if you look at my setup it its using a HKS stroker adding 200cc more...thus making up for that low end torque loss and my cam power band is 3800-10000+...VVT has a turn on and turn off range...silvertop is designated like VTEC and blacktops use different input from the engine to determine on and off...my setup will be VVTTTTTTTT basically all the time as long as I stay over 3800 and even under that the C/R and extra CC's will make up for any loss if there even was any to begin with...The 20v is designed very well especially the blacktop so there not much you can do bolt on wise...to unleash her power she needs lift and duration to breath...
MoonGT

29 posts [100%]
Sylhet

Re: 4AGE 20V: Tomei PonCam vs Kelford 194-A (gaijin_rokurunner) » Reply  Edit

That was a valuable statement from both of you (GTS-COUPE and gaijin_rokurunner). I did see the dyno result on Tomei Poncam but couldn't find one for Kelford and was a little bit confused on choosing the right one. Thanks guys for helping me on taking the right decision i.e. Tomei Poncams.

gaijin_rokurunner would you mind sharing the specifications or even you can PM me?

With Regards,
Munawar Helal Chowdhury

gaijin_rokurunner

1990 posts [100%]
UPPER MARLBORO MD

Re: 4AGE 20V: Tomei PonCam vs Kelford 194-A (MoonGT) » Reply  Edit

you can check out my build here http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=109782
any questions shoot me a email nuffsaid02@aol.com

» Return to Engine - 4A-GE 20V