Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 4age head fit 4ac - 3ac block
Author Post
torcel

3 posts [100%]

4age head fit 4ac - 3ac block Reply  Edit

Does anyone know if a 4age 16v or 20v fit a 3ac or 4ac block?

I have 81 tercel bored 0.60 Arias pistons, head cut 0.30, dual BB Chevy valve springs, Isky cam 300 dur 460 lift, dual 40mm side drafts home made intake and header with scavaging system; 2 1/2" collector plus E-vac system plummed in. Its a five speed, four door AC car.

If someone could let me know, has information and/or pictures. I am thinking of doing this myself and could use the information.

Walt

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: 4age head fit 4ac - 3ac block (torcel) » Reply  Edit

It will fit, you'll need all the manifolds and distributor and stuff, but yes it will bolt on there.
torcel

3 posts [100%]

Re: 4age head fit 4ac - 3ac block (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

Thanks for your time, do you use the 3 or 4ac head gasket? an which timing belt? an is their a year that is the best? I have yet to find someone who has completed this swap, an has told how to do it begin to end, do you know someone. Again thank you
ga_goosh

2498 posts [100%]
far enough to require shipping HTX

if your using a 16v head i would use the 4age head gasket and timing belt. if your using a 20v head then i would use the 20v gasket (if you cant find one the 16v will work) and also a 20v timing belt as the 20v have i think an extra 2 notches compared to the 16v.

the 3a and 4a blocks are basically the same so the swap you are doing is basically building a 4age. lots of people have done this. most people just buy a complete 4age over building one from scratch.

I <3 my AE86

Kouki 86-87 Service Manual
4AGE Diagnostic Manual
Toyota Wiring Repair Manual
20V Blacktop fsm
.......USE THEM!!!.......

TEXAS 86 Forum
http://www.86garage.com

torcel

3 posts [100%]

Re: 4age head fit 4ac - 3ac block (ga_goosh) » Reply  Edit

Thanks so much for your time. That really answers a lot of my questions. Now all I have to do is locate an engine or a head and get a gasket set, then start making a new intake and header. What would be nice is if I knew if a 4AC block would bolt to my transmission, this way I would be starting with a bigger block. Of course starting over again with a new set of pistons.

THanks again, really appreciate all the information.

Walter

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

What transmissions do you have? If it's attached to your 3AC, then the 4AG you want to build will bolt to it no problem. All A series engines block has the same bolt pattern for the bellhousing.
ga_goosh

2498 posts [100%]
far enough to require shipping HTX

yes your trans will bolt to the 3a/4ac block. but once you swap to a 4age head the 4a bell housing will have to be swapped for one from a gts 4age. the starter is located on the other side of the block because the 4age exhaust runs on the opposite side of the motor.

I <3 my AE86

Kouki 86-87 Service Manual
4AGE Diagnostic Manual
Toyota Wiring Repair Manual
20V Blacktop fsm
.......USE THEM!!!.......

TEXAS 86 Forum
http://www.86garage.com

» Return to Engine - 4A-GE 16V