Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 clutch master/slave woes PLEASE HELP
Author Post
AE ALL DAY

116 posts [99%]
miami fl

clutch master/slave woes PLEASE HELP Reply  Edit

88 corolla wagon swapped with 91 smallport 4age

new master/slave cylinder clutch line had a rubber hose and was replaced with hardline.

i keep losing pressure every two days i bleed it regain pressure and then it slowly loses pressure absolutely no visible fluid loss like i said new master and slave this is my daily and i need to figure this out ASAP any insight will help thanks

:thumbup: PaSaNdO rOlO

jondee86
Reggae Rules...

4374 posts [96%]
Wellington, NZ

Re: clutch master/slave woes PLEASE HELP (AE ALL DAY) » Reply  Edit

Pedal height from floor adjusted correctly ? You should have about 1/8" of freeplay
(measured from pedal fully up) before the pedal actually starts to move the master
cylinder pushrod. And about 3/4" of pedal movement before you start to feel resistance
from the clutch.

Ha Just remembered you have a transplant. So what I said above relates to RWD,
but I am pretty sure the same setup applies to FWD and most old Corollas. I'd have
to reasearch, but you can do that. Main thing is to make sure that the pedal has
freeplay, and the piston is allowed to move all the way back in the master cylinder.

Cheers... jondee86

jondee86 has been a member for 735,126 days.

Give a person a fish, they eat for a day. Suggest they search before posting, and they learn a skill for a lifetime.

AE ALL DAY

116 posts [99%]
miami fl

» Reply  Edit

it does have freeplay when its fully bled the pressure feel amazing after a day or two it get sluggish hard to put in reverse all until it gets to the point where theres no pressure

:thumbup: PaSaNdO rOlO
jondee86
Reggae Rules...

4374 posts [96%]
Wellington, NZ

Re: Clutching at straws.... » Reply  Edit

If you bleed the system, and it works fine. Then it gets soft and spongy, so you
bleed it again, and you get air out, it means that air is leaking INTO the system.
There is no sign of fluid leakage/loss of fluid (did you check for any fluid on the
carpet under the clutch pedal ?). So where does air get in that fluid can't get out ??

About the only place I can think of would be thru the slave cylinder piston seals.
There are (should be) two seals on the piston. One designed to keep the fluid in,
and one designed to keep air/water/crud out. If the seal nearest the outside air
was accidentally installed the wrong way round, there is a chance that air could
get drawn in if the fluid pressure went negative.

I don't actually know if it goes negative (below atmospheric), but I guess it could
happen when you release the clutch. Other than that, I'm out of ideas So if
nothing else helps, it might be worth taking the slave apart and checking the seals.

Cheers... jondee86

jondee86 has been a member for 735,126 days.

Give a person a fish, they eat for a day. Suggest they search before posting, and they learn a skill for a lifetime.

» Return to Cars - FWD (AE, EP, etc...)