Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 Rear end shifted ??
Author Post
daveskatesallday

1205 posts [99%]
TX

Rear end shifted ?? Reply  Edit

So recently put some BC Coilovers on the car, and i started to notice strange vibrations while driving on the highway. It was a bit of a buzzing type noise, i lifted the car up and noticed on the passenger side the spacer ring was getting caught on the threads on the spindle from being pushed out (I'm guessing through the bumps in the road offsetting it). I literally put the springs perfectly set on the perches on the rear and and made sure they lined up with the groove on both perches. I also noticed on the driver side the actual spring is not sitting inside the space where the spring should go but it's lining up a bit on the outside so when it compresses it looks like it can hit

(not my picture but just an example of what i'm talking about)

so a while back drifting probably a few months ago i had hit a curb barely tapped it but the hub part of my axle was slightly bent as well as the wheel at the time, but i didn't hit the curb going too fast but it was enough to bend the wheel a bit. So my question is it possible to have shifted the rear end completely seeing how I did hit and put stress on it, could it have shifted everything towards the driver side causing the clearance issue im having?? and if so would ti best to opt for a straight rear end? i just want to fix this so i don't have future issues

if i can the next time i jack the car up i'll post pics of both sides (i know pics are a lot more helpful)

"sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain

i have a few things for sale check em out need to get rid of this stuff

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=89494

:thumbup:

ariel_86

226 posts [99%]
Kaysville Ut

» Reply  Edit

If you hit a curb and bent the wheel & the axle (even slightly), that could cause the vibration/buzzing you're talking about. You have to replace the axle.

Get your car on an alignment rack and check the rear. If you have an adjustable panhard, you may be able to adjust that enough to get the car in the right spot if it isn't. Also check to see if any of links on the 4-link are bent. Replace those as necessary.

If you don't have an adjustable panhard, get one. You really do need one when you're lowered because the stock panhard will push the axle to the driver's side as you lower it.

1985 Corolla Coupe - Autocross slut, drifter wannabe, and current DD.
Physics for your head!
~ TRD aka KF7LNI
daveskatesallday

1205 posts [99%]
TX

Re: (ariel_86) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by ariel_86 »
If you hit a curb and bent the wheel & the axle (even slightly), that could cause the vibration/buzzing you're talking about. You have to replace the axle.

Get your car on an alignment rack and check the rear. If you have an adjustable panhard, you may be able to adjust that enough to get the car in the right spot if it isn't. Also check to see if any of links on the 4-link are bent. Replace those as necessary.

If you don't have an adjustable panhard, get one. You really do need one when you're lowered because the stock panhard will push the axle to the driver's side as you lower it.

I see well so far haven't had any luck finding an axle but i was thinking even though the axle is bent on the hub slightly it shouldn't affect the whole rear end as the axles sit inside. I did wonder if switching from the stock to an adjustable panhard bar would make a difference i'll definitely get one if that's the case. Also with the coilovers i didn't really slam the car so much i just put them on as they came out of the box but i will definitely get a panhard bar if it will help. You think I should get adjustable 4-Links as well?

ga_goosh

2498 posts [100%]
far enough to require shipping HTX

Re: (daveskatesallday) » Reply  Edit

you know the vibration also could be from changing the pinion angle due to lowering. you might want to check that out as well.

I <3 my AE86

Kouki 86-87 Service Manual
4AGE Diagnostic Manual
Toyota Wiring Repair Manual
20V Blacktop fsm
.......USE THEM!!!.......

TEXAS 86 Forum
http://www.86garage.com

daveskatesallday

1205 posts [99%]
TX

Re: (ga_goosh) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by ga_goosh »
you know the vibration also could be from changing the pinion angle due to lowering. you might want to check that out as well.

well i don't think it is, it was comming from the spacer ring on the bc coilovers rear spring setup. It has the top piece (black) then a silver ring and the lock spindles. Well what had happened was when i heard the vibrating noise i pulled the passenger side spring out and sure enough the silver ring was getting bent b/c it was moving a bit and getting caught between the spindle and the top piece (hope i am making sense w/o pics for reference). I took the ring out, straightened it and put it back and the noise went away but since the rear end is too close to the driver side due to lack of panhard bar it sits a little bit off so the bumps in the road offset it and i guess it starts to move out of place again causing the vibration noise. It isn't a constant noise though it comes and goes but im positive it is b/c of the rear end being offset.

daveskatesallday

1205 posts [99%]
TX

Re: (ga_goosh) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by ga_goosh »

I definitely will check the pinion angle though once i get the panhard bar and see how to fix everything, much appreciate everyones quick responses i wouldn't have known this earlier i originally planned to get a adjustable panhard bar and adjustable 4-Links anyway, looks like i'll have to get these earlier than planned. I'll also update once i get these and let everyone know if the problem is solved which i hope

» Return to Cars - RWD - (AE86, TE, KP, RA, TA)