Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 Angry4ag's 500+hp Re-vampFirst  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last
Author Post
Angry4AG

425 posts [96%]
Bronx NY/Okinawa JP/And now in Las Vegas NV

Re: (MisterJerk) » Reply  Edit

Ok!

Nov 8,2011

Disclaimer
As of late I have been dealing with military duty which is totally taking my ae86 time and also family life. So updates are slow and I am sorry

During this time I started to keep my car hobby sharp by dabbling in my first rotary adventure. This setup was built by mazda trix in Glendale CA and had a raw tune by triple R tuning in the same area. Power reached around 330whp before the engine mysteriously blew and boost was at around 16psi.
After the rebuild, my buddy trailored the car from California and could not find a tuner out here in Las Vegas.

I decided to start helping him and re hashed the fuel system that was the probable cause of the engine fail. A new pump was installed and boost was turned down to 12 psi which is the lowest for the retune.

After a lot of NA tuning and drivability tunes we turned up the boost to 13.5 and started the street tuning for safety. After multiple sessions the car seemed safe and a raw fuel map (pig rich) with only 13.5 psi of boost yielded around 390whp. Not bad for a 4ag guy

Boost is now at 15 psi and it is pretty much running like a bat outta hell with awesome drivability. The ecu is a Haltec sport 1000 and the engine is a
2nd gen street ported 13B with cosmo rotors and an older t66 snail.

Note: The map sensor seems to need a smaller orifice to smooth out the power band. Also a good dyno tune on a brake dyno next week will hopefully produce quicker spool and more power under the curve.

My other side project is another friend who needed a full build and chassis. He is from misawa and is now living in las vegas. He started with an imported RHD chassis that rotted to death and needed another for his pro am drift mission. The new chassis was fully built by tommy suell in Las Vegas and sold to my friend so it is equipped with a kick butt roll cage and brake system.

The original engine was a bluetop 4agze well built by garage M in misawa, and yielded alot of other goodies for his touge and drift parties.
His new engine will consist of a pissed off small port 4agze with a blow through setup, and custom intake manifold modeled from my old one. Build is still in progress..................
Power ? hopefully fast .....

Lastly,
My car.

I have finally finished welding the chassis up and can now fully fit the nitto 275 drag radials even with no suspension installed so on the launch i should be good. I started with the cutting of the rear fenders and ended up chopping off what I needed then later welded the inner fender with the outer one.

The engineis pretty much complete but still lacks the girdle which I am waiting for from a vegas machine shop and an ecu.

Here are some pictures

Ohh and I will explain the details of the build soon.

There are a lot of mild modifications I made to the block and bearing clearances that I need to address.

As soon as I have more parts or updates I will post...................................but that ís it for now

Modified by Angry4AG at 11:33 PM 11/10/2011

http://www.sdsefi.com/features/jan064ag.htm

mikeyee

1697 posts [96%]
Fremont ca

» Reply  Edit

yyyeeeaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!

looking forward to more

http://about.me/myee

Mike Yee's Corolla resource page: https://sites.google.com/site/ncalae86/resources-1

the galis

93 posts [100%]
Bridgetown Speedville

Re: (Angry4AG) » Reply  Edit

nice build can hardly wait to see it finish
iamalexreece

56 posts [100%]
lost wages nv

Both cars are looking sweet!!

Where in vegas are you?? I'm on the south side (off rainbow & hacienda)
Angry4AG

425 posts [96%]

Re: (iamalexreece) » Reply  Edit

Thanks man

Just trying to keep motivated.

Ohh and i am off of losee and cenntenial if anything. I am also going to start branching out free help and tuning for any ae86 guy that needs it. I am trained and grew into my 20s while i was in japan so i dont mind always helping the community out unlike some of the other greedy tuners.

That means from stock to extreme

Just remember i am constantly busy so it will be hard to get deep into things out here.

Spred the word

hbomb86

1096 posts [97%]
Upland CA

awesome progress!!!

what rear end are you running?

Driving the Corolla is a BLAST!!!
Angry4AG

425 posts [96%]

Re: (hbomb86) » Reply  Edit

For 8.8 3.55 Ratio (4.10 Gears coming soon for drag)

Detroit Locker
Mosier Axles
C-Clip Eliminator kit
and Willwood brakes

All cut and massaged for the Ae86

iamalexreece

56 posts [100%]
lost wages nv

That's cool!! I'll definitely hit you up & get the word out here in town!!

My buddy & I are in the process of dropping a 20v into his hatchback. & I'm trying to decide between waiting on a 4agze to pop up here in vegas for a good price or trying something crazy & swapping in a v6 from a camry (I keep finding them for cheap & I think it would be a neat swap)

Shoot me a pm with your number. Id love to get your thoughts on our 2 projects.

turboae92

103 posts [100%]
Miami Fl

» Reply  Edit

who makes that turbo manifold?hks?
Angry4AG

425 posts [96%]

Re: (turboae92) » Reply  Edit

The manifold is an old HKS cast T4 style. When installed correctly it mounts the turbo on the firewall side and the wastegate on the top.

Due to the way it set the turbo so far back being designed for a RHD, i decided to flip it upsidedown and adapt it with a custom made flange that bolted to the engine first, then let you install the mani upsidedown.

This gave better downpipe clearence with the USDM steering rack and moved the trubo foward giving me a cleaner setup. It also helped me with the sharp turning radius that the downpipe originally had when it met the firewall.

90 deg turns hurt spool and response.

vtecklr

3 posts [100%]

was looking at the old setup that's on the sds site and i read where it states the engine rev to 11 grand.is that with a modified oil pump or dry sump.reason i ask is its said the pumps fail at 9 grand 10 grand tops.
Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

Re: (vtecklr) » Reply  Edit

assuming you run it 1:1 which I have no idea if they do or not

My website - conversion parts, articles, services...

s-86.com

-20v RWD conversion parts for sale

Angry4AG

425 posts [96%]

The pump and pumps I have always used are the newer part number pumps from the ae101 GZE and up.

From day one i have always taken first gear from 10 to 11k, 2nd gear shift at 9.5k and 3rd/ 4th at around 8 to 9k. This is the way i set it up for drag so I can have minimal RPM drop disadvantages when it came to power band.

As for pump gear fails, i only had one and that was on an older style pump.
So the newer pump is proven when it comes to reliability.

I did try to keep 10/11k thing minimal due to loss of oil volume so it was a dangerous gamble which was successful due to my clearances.

Also due to this being a drag car, and it not subjected to the long and drawn out RPM loads like in drift and road course so the oil system was kept simple and no dry sumping was needed.

Hope this answers your question

vtecklr

3 posts [100%]

thanks very much for the detailed response.so in other words i shouldn't have a problem with the newer blacktop 20v pump.planing on a 9 k daily limit.have you ever had any failed crank pulleys at that rpm either?
Angry4AG

425 posts [96%]

Honestly the biggest wear and tear you can put on any power plant is RPM.

When properly tuned and built, boost is lower on the list of things that will kill the life of your engine than RPM.

So the gamble you are faced with is not if the pump will blow on you but is there enough oil volume to feed your clearances at the rev limit you are planning to set.

9k is the start of the danger zone on the 4a oil system and anything after that needs to be chased with precautions.
These entail detailed adjustment of bearing clearances, proper oil type selection, proper cooling and heating with the help of a cooler and thermostat, bearing coatings, and ultimately pump choice (dry sump ect)

So to answer your question .....YES

Just make sure your clearances are perfect (An example would be 80% of the standard limit toward the looser side within 1% of each other or better)
A mitutoyo dial bore gauge is how i got this close ( .0001 indicator used)

(DISCLAIMER!! this is what has worked for me and i do not recommend it to anybody!)

Hope this helps

Hicomp4ag

123 posts [100%]
Okinawa Japan

» Reply  Edit

Goodness bro... I dont check in for awhile and you go and complete the build !
Oh hey.. I have the perfect Over fender for you ! muhahaha your choice Run Free or Alpha Style ? lmk. Oki boys
Raziel TSBB

2 posts [100%]
Germany Berlin

Re: (Hicomp4ag) » Reply  Edit

Sorry for off topic
Can someone help me maybe?
I need a map for my Haltech P1000.
I've changed almost everything on my 4agze.
He now has no supercharged, but a GT28RS turbo.
Sorry but my english is very bad
Best regards Martin
vtecklr

3 posts [100%]

Thank you very much.You have been very helpfull
Angry4AG

425 posts [96%]

Re: (Raziel TSBB) » Reply  Edit

I alreeady sent an instant message.

You can use a base map to start but thats just to turn the car on if you have stock cams and injectors.

Fuel maps should never be given out and shared due to every engine having specific/diffrent fueling needs.

I can give you a starting base map if you send me a run down of you modifications. After the you need to get it properly tuned by a haltec certifed tuner.

Hope this helps

Angry4AG

425 posts [96%]

No probelm!

BTW.............No pully failures to date.

I used the stock GZE one on all my turbo setups for that added rotating mass.

As counterproductive as that sounds it worked like a champ.

A heavier rotating assembly is a double edged sword. Like basic mechanical enginnering tells us if you gain some where, proportionatly you loose somewhere else.

So the gamble was lowering my rev response and hp number but gaining a fatter torque number.

It was actually not a noticeable diffrence from the SC pully VS the stock 4ag one.

ae86cesar

251 posts [100%]
Vegas NV

» Reply  Edit

very nice, had i seen this before i might of stayed 4ag, check out my drift build on my signature

rz86 swap in the works-- http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=90283

TOYOTA- KEEP MOVING SIDEWAYS

SCRAPE

84 posts [100%]
Las Vegas NV

Re: (ae86cesar) » Reply  Edit

Angry4ag and I have been hard at work when we can doing what we can in the garage. We are making progress so it feels good.

Some say nobody's perfect
Others will say practice makes perfect
If you want to know which one is right...race me.
SCRAPE

84 posts [100%]
Las Vegas NV

Sreeping Dlifto Beasto ne? » Reply  Edit

Angry4AG

425 posts [96%]

Re: Sreeping Dlifto Beasto ne? (SCRAPE) » Reply  Edit

The Rotary is done and we just started to set it up for drift.The last few mods were more boost (15psi) and a shot of 50/50 water/meth for the future 25psi setting. This will give the head room for 3rd gear slides.

It is much stronger now and kind of left us disappionted at the track. They wet the track for the starter cars so it messed us up due to the power now exceeding 400whp. This in turn gave us no chance to dial in the suspension or try a 3rd gear drift.

Sorry about the quality

http://youtu.be/ccXUpZ3z6ic

<br /><br />
Modified by Angry4AG at 11:04 AM 1/1/2012

FYI...
The tune was done with a haltec platinum 1000.
I set the Trim to 11.0 AFR under full load in 4th gear
timing is set at 26 deg base with a 1 to 2 retard per psi of boost added
Total under boost is 14deg @ 14 psi with a ten deg split across the board.

This is all super conservitive until I can get it to an eddy current dyno or a track so I can really clean the map up. Rotaries are unforgiving so due to this being a customer car I cannot play around safely.

Modified by Angry4AG at 8:51 PM 1/1/2012

SCRAPE

84 posts [100%]
Las Vegas NV

Re: Sreeping Dlifto Beasto ne? (Angry4AG) » Reply  Edit

The most interesting part of the rotary project is the re-tune results. We should be finished by this weekend, and it should produce kick in the pants action.

silvertoy

64 posts [100%]
las vegas nevada

Will.... Yo Its Bob... been a long time. Just got off the phone with Bison...
We were chattin it up. didn't know u were still in vegas.
Finally got my car back together... hit me up, we need to catch up.

bob

Hicomp4ag

123 posts [100%]
Okinawa Japan

» Reply  Edit

Will.. Bison.. Bob.. All in one thread ! Oki crew represent ka ! Cho hisashiburi !
turboae92

103 posts [100%]
Miami Fl

where did you buy that turbo manifold ?You are the only that i seen with it,if anybody has one let me know i want one
Mass20v

115 posts [97%]
TitleTown MA

I swear... you're a ninja..
Angry4AG

425 posts [96%]

Re: Sreeping Dlifto Beasto ne? (Mass20v) » Reply  Edit

Haha i wish i was

Ninjas can thow a smoke bomb and create a car from scratch

Here is a small update......

2012 02 05

I talked to my good buddy Jason (poojay, jport ect.

And got a screaming deal on some over fenders. I do not know the make but they clear the tires and get me at least a step closer to finishing the screwed up marathon i can seem to finish.

They are just taped for now but all that is left is corrsion protecting by using some type of caulking for the weld areas, and paint / riviting.

First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs