Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 Angry4ag's 500+hp Re-vampFirst  < 2 3 4 5 6   Last
Author Post
Hicomp4ag

123 posts [100%]
Okinawa Japan

» Reply  Edit

I'm glad they got there in one piece bro. Enjoy yea ! Lmk if you need anything else !
Angry4AG

425 posts [96%]
Bronx NY/Okinawa JP/And now in Las Vegas NV

Re: (Hicomp4ag) » Reply  Edit

Again i know its cheap, and there are some really sofisticated bulds in this section, but i am happy the project is at least moving.

I used household caulk to seal the weld area and then painted over it. Then, I threw some paint on to the flares after I sanded them with 120 grit.
It looks rough but it will get me on the road quicker. I will worry about looks later

Next will be the rear bumper, skirts, and front end after I bolt the rears on.

http://www.sdsefi.com/features/jan064ag.htm

iamalexreece

56 posts [100%]
lost wages nv

Re: (Angry4AG) » Reply  Edit

Looks good man!! Thanks again for the tank & interior pieces!!
iamalexreece

56 posts [100%]
lost wages nv

Btw I still want ur door panels!!
Hicomp4ag

123 posts [100%]
Okinawa Japan

» Reply  Edit

Man.. That looks good ! Good to see it all coming together
Crownvicman289

1984 posts [58%]
Colorado Springs CO

» Reply  Edit

Alright dude, we know you're lurking, so cough up some updates! I know, but I won't tell.
Angry4AG

425 posts [96%]

Re: (Crownvicman289) » Reply  Edit

Well itís been a while and I have made a massive leap on the project but I stopped documenting due to time constraints and also the fact that I am tired of tiny updates and the fact that this project has gone on without results for too long.

But I will not stop and I have been reignited with massive motivation thanks to friends I have in Oki.

Well I started off with re hashing my bearing clearances and had to re-adjust due to the last dial bore gauge I had being the wrong size.

I used calico part number 4B1780H for the thinner bearing and 4B1780.025 for the thicker half. The thinner half is the standard size bearing for the 4ag and I needed .001 more thickness to get a total .0018 rod bearing big end clearance which is around 75 to 80% of the stock clearance. This is a rule of thumb that I use for my turbo builds on rod big ends.
So...... the thicker half was installed on the top, and the thinner towards the bearing cap. This is another little rule I use due to the rotational forces introduced at high load and RPM.

So my rod big end clearances across the board with a stock Ae101 GTZ oil pump are .0018 even.

Then the next party ..................fuel system

My last setup worked great with just a walbro 255, stock ae86 lines, GZE FPR, and a set of 1000cc injectors. Enough fuel to handle 30psi of boost and an 11AFR across the power tune.

Now I decided to throw in a Bosch 044 for that extra amount that I need for my goal which is 35psi of boost.

The only quirk I had was that the nut or bung on the pump plus the filter made the pump too tall so I decided to shave the bung down and get that height I needed.

I did have to trim a small lip in the fuel tank fuel pump entry but other than that the bosch 044 worked out great and fell right in

The next party after finishing up the engine was cam degree.

I had to be sure due to the change in head gasket, and also for security that the cams are set within spec of the cam sheet

I set them both at 102 Deg using a comp cams kit and also made sure that I had enough play when it came to adjustment by skipping teeth on the timing belt, and getting everything within spec.
Toda 304in and 304ex cams need around 102 Deg of center angle to be within spec so that was goal.

After that I temp installed the valve covers and I was in happy mode

Next the bottom half...............
After the bearing check I decided to just go ahead and start installing all of the typical things like baffle and oil pan................(HKS oil pressure up kit was also used BTW)

A bottom view of another restless night

Next...................................Tranny/Clutch install
This was an aborted task due to the fact that the clutch release bearing I have to use is for the w58, and I lacked the clip that holds the bearing onto the clutch fork.

So I went ahead and bolted the OS giken twin plate, and temp installed the engine in the bay so I can work the intercooler piping and wiring while I wait for that clip to arrive.

Next..............

Intercooler piping...
Both of the pipes I had from the last setup seem to fit but needed some trimming due to the intake side being much closer to the frontend and the turbo side having the same problem.

The intake side just needed to be cut around 3 inches worth at the throttle body and the turbo side was flipped around and unfortunatly needs to be cut also. This cut will also need a 2.5 inch 90Deg bend with at least 3 inches or more on the bend radius so I can get the least sharp turns I can manage in the space I have available.

Trimmed and ready for a final weld bead around the edge for better hold under boost

The turbo side as you can see needs to be modified so I have ordered the pipe and am currently waiting on delivery.

Thatís it for now.
Just waiting on the clip for the clutch bearing, intercooler pipe mod, and ECU so I can turn the key and finally hear this thing idle.

AEsuperG

301 posts [99%]
westy CO

» Reply  Edit

nice, gonna have to make a trip out one day to see this beast.

you got some secret cooling project going on too?

-TEAM HINGA-
Crownvicman289

1984 posts [58%]
Colorado Springs CO

» Reply  Edit

Computer's already wired up? None of my intercooler pipes fit, so they all get to be redone. Harness will be no different I'm sure.
Hicomp4ag

123 posts [100%]
Okinawa Japan

» Reply  Edit

Brother.. nice ! Oki is waiting to hear and see this beast. Computer is ready to go, just LMK.

Motivation is nice isn't it ! muhahaha

d962r

36 posts [100%]
Clackamas or

I see your not running a Dizzy... what ECU are you going to run and how are you triggering your plugs? COP?
I'm in the process of setting up mine with an AEM EMS4 and I'm using the VW COP from the 1.8t. sill have alot of work to do yet. I should post some pic's up of what it looks like so far.
Crownvicman289

1984 posts [58%]
Colorado Springs CO

» Reply  Edit

GZE coils, SDS computer, and I don't recall what he's doing for an igniter.
Angry4AG

425 posts [96%]

Re: (d962r) » Reply  Edit

Right now i am torn between an SDS EFI or an Electromotive Tec3.

I cannot seem to find an SDS for under 800 and have my good buddy jason selling me a Tec3 for around that price,

As much as i love the SDS system due to its ease and power potential i am on a serious budget and need to get what i can get. Both computers have their own coils plus ignition driver. They are also both triggerd by from the crank. The SDS from a hall effect sensor and the Electromotive with a haltech style trigger wheel.

If anything i still have a set of GZE coils and i can just hook those up to an MSD DIS4 system. This is if i get an ecu that does not have its own coil or driver.

Hope this helps

Angry4AG

425 posts [96%]

Re: (AEsuperG) » Reply  Edit

AEsuperG!

Whats up bruddah?

Well for cooling i have only a few tricks. As for the water pump i am going to shave down the backplate and get the impeller closer to the backplate to reduce any chance of cavitaion. I checked the clearence in there and there is about 2mm of distance from the impeller to the impeller seat.

Also i have an extra flange i cut for a cooling outlet from the back of the head that i will connect to the front outlet that typically routes to the radiator.
I saw this mod on MOTOiq under the extreme 4ag section and i liked the idea due to the number 4 cylinder not seeing as much heat dissapation as the number 1.

As for the radiator i will prob use a mishimoto unit or get a custom 3 core made due to how hot vegas is and the need i have for insane amounts of cooling.

mikeyee

1697 posts [96%]
Fremont ca

» Reply  Edit

thank you for update, this is probably my favorite corolla build ;_;

http://about.me/myee

Mike Yee's Corolla resource page: https://sites.google.com/site/ncalae86/resources-1

d962r

36 posts [100%]
Clackamas or

Have you thought of using an AME EMS4? I almost bought a used TEC3 from a friend but there was very little support for it anymore. Found that the EMS4 had the CAN output that I need for a dash that I wish to run so I would need to buy up a bunch of gauges and clutter up what little space I have for a dash as it is....They a not much money either.
Crownvicman289

1984 posts [58%]
Colorado Springs CO

» Reply  Edit

Haven't checked out the software, but the computer itself is pretty cheap and that CAN bus can talk to other AEM components. Will, you've probably already tuned one of these things, right? They're $8XX for just the ECU, then a couple hundo for the big harness. A lot cheaper than I thought they were.
d962r

36 posts [100%]
Clackamas or

AEM tuner is nice.... and its free to DL first to check it out to see if you even want to buy the EMS4
Hicomp4ag

123 posts [100%]
Okinawa Japan

» Reply  Edit

I thought about the AEM EMS4 too, but I've been hearing some chatter / issues with it too.

Will... Either way you want to go, just lmk. TEC 3 is here, you can even go the Haltech E8 route if you want (a little cheaper). you know me, good price. just lmk what you want to do.

Oki suport !

d962r

36 posts [100%]
Clackamas or

» Reply  Edit

I don't see any crank or cam sensor on your motor yet. Hav you thought about what you plan to use? I need to build my bracket yet for my crank trigger but for the cam I plan on going through the valve cover right to the intake cam. On next to #4 there is a "nub" that is perfict to trigger the ECU off of. just need to machine the valve cover to fit the Hall sensor to.
Angry4AG

425 posts [96%]

Re: (d962r) » Reply  Edit

Well for now I will borrow an SDS from a buddy of mine until I get the Tec3 from my brother Jason.

The SDS uses a Hall Effect sensor that is located at the crank and utilizes magnets for trigger points.

This is the last task I am up against. Last weekend I should have at least turned the key but ran into minor setbacks. Little things like the water pump pulley and the cooling system.
For now I will be borrowing an ECU and a stock radiator so I can at least break it in and get it registered.

Here some updates.............
(I will post a video of it cranking hopefully Saturday)

Started off with the throttle body/spring tension of the BBK throttle body unit. I really didnít like how soft the pedal feel was so I decided to add a bracket and a tension spring I got from work.

Before

After

This gave me the pedal feel I wanted and it was a simple mod.

Later, I decided to make my 3 inch downpipe and install the oil filter/relocator kit.
The only thing I encountered with the downpipe was the fact that it was pretty close to the steering rack/ chassis. After careful measurement, and just eyeing it I looks like will not make contact as long as I use stiff mounts. If anything I will re-weld the downpipe at a lower angle and get the clearance I need.

Lastly,

I was giving an eye and decided to make my hall sensor bracket. I will place it on the right side of the crank pulley and it will bolt up to the two lower right hand bolt areas on the oil pump

Then I will crank and get ready for the break in

Crownvicman289

1984 posts [58%]
Colorado Springs CO

» Reply  Edit

So I take it you got your hands on an EMS?
Angry4AG

425 posts [96%]

Borrowed an SDS Em4 from a buddy out here.

I will use it until i get the Tec3 from jason.

d962r

36 posts [100%]
Clackamas or

» Reply  Edit

please make sure that you take a few pictures of your sensor bracket please. I was looking at the 2 bolt bosses on the block on the right side (as your looking at it) and comming off that to shoot around to the front. They look like there on the same plane so should make for an easy mount build.

looks great so far.

First  < 2 3 4 5 6   Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs