Well itís been a while and I have made a massive leap on the project but I stopped documenting due to time constraints and also the fact that I am tired of tiny updates and the fact that this project has gone on without results for too long.
But I will not stop and I have been reignited with massive motivation thanks to friends I have in Oki.
Well I started off with re hashing my bearing clearances and had to re-adjust due to the last dial bore gauge I had being the wrong size.
I used calico part number 4B1780H for the thinner bearing and 4B1780.025 for the thicker half. The thinner half is the standard size bearing for the 4ag and I needed .001 more thickness to get a total .0018 rod bearing big end clearance which is around 75 to 80% of the stock clearance. This is a rule of thumb that I use for my turbo builds on rod big ends.
So...... the thicker half was installed on the top, and the thinner towards the bearing cap. This is another little rule I use due to the rotational forces introduced at high load and RPM.
So my rod big end clearances across the board with a stock Ae101 GTZ oil pump are .0018 even.
Then the next party ..................fuel system
My last setup worked great with just a walbro 255, stock ae86 lines, GZE FPR, and a set of 1000cc injectors. Enough fuel to handle 30psi of boost and an 11AFR across the power tune.
Now I decided to throw in a Bosch 044 for that extra amount that I need for my goal which is 35psi of boost.
The only quirk I had was that the nut or bung on the pump plus the filter made the pump too tall so I decided to shave the bung down and get that height I needed.
I did have to trim a small lip in the fuel tank fuel pump entry but other than that the bosch 044 worked out great and fell right in
The next party after finishing up the engine was cam degree.
I had to be sure due to the change in head gasket, and also for security that the cams are set within spec of the cam sheet
I set them both at 102 Deg using a comp cams kit and also made sure that I had enough play when it came to adjustment by skipping teeth on the timing belt, and getting everything within spec.
Toda 304in and 304ex cams need around 102 Deg of center angle to be within spec so that was goal.
After that I temp installed the valve covers and I was in happy mode
Next the bottom half...............
After the bearing check I decided to just go ahead and start installing all of the typical things like baffle and oil pan................(HKS oil pressure up kit was also used BTW)
A bottom view of another restless night
This was an aborted task due to the fact that the clutch release bearing I have to use is for the w58, and I lacked the clip that holds the bearing onto the clutch fork.
So I went ahead and bolted the OS giken twin plate, and temp installed the engine in the bay so I can work the intercooler piping and wiring while I wait for that clip to arrive.
Both of the pipes I had from the last setup seem to fit but needed some trimming due to the intake side being much closer to the frontend and the turbo side having the same problem.
The intake side just needed to be cut around 3 inches worth at the throttle body and the turbo side was flipped around and unfortunatly needs to be cut also. This cut will also need a 2.5 inch 90Deg bend with at least 3 inches or more on the bend radius so I can get the least sharp turns I can manage in the space I have available.
Trimmed and ready for a final weld bead around the edge for better hold under boost
The turbo side as you can see needs to be modified so I have ordered the pipe and am currently waiting on delivery.
Thatís it for now.
Just waiting on the clip for the clutch bearing, intercooler pipe mod, and ECU so I can turn the key and finally hear this thing idle.