Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 DIY: 20v water lines in an ae86First  < 1 2   Last
Author Post
EXXX

659 posts [77%]
Montreal QC

Re: (jspexae102) » Reply  Edit

the only thing about this set up is that its gunna be a ****** to change the thermostat u gotta take out the whole engine just for a thermostat lol alittle too much work just to keep the engine stock. I'm gunna make a thread on how i did it when I get my engine in. its alittle pit more work then what an every day Joe can do in their own garage. Need one machined plate and a 4ac water pump housing for the thermostat.

wesuri

2288 posts [100%]
socali ca

Re: (BlackTruenoAE86) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by BlackTruenoAE86 »

I never trust electric fans....

Electric fans are a good thing. As long as you have the proper sized fans, your cooling system should be more efficient than a stock clutch fan.
i use a spal programmable fan controler.

(something similar to this)
http://www.a1electric.com/Merc...WM-V3

With 2 low profile spal 12 inch fans.
I had M1 Development make me custom shrouds

Mikare

137 posts [100%]
Cebu

» Reply  Edit

I don't need a heater. Do I just block off the Heater core outlet and inlet? also Do I need the coolant temp switch to run the engine or just block it off also?

EXXX

659 posts [77%]
Montreal QC

Re: (Mikare) » Reply  Edit

Heater in/out u can just block off if u really dont want a heater. Coolant temp switch is for the radiator fan. If u run it with out that u better have a switch or somehing to run the fan or u can over heat. the stock 16v/4ac clutch fan isnt good enough. personally i would run it with the rad fan switch wired up for safety.

Oh and dont forget since ur not routing the heater lines you engine will not have an extra thing to cool it down. I would have everything routed. But if u are installing it in RWD (AE86) form i'd suggest to do a water line re routing kit.

Mikare

137 posts [100%]
Cebu

» Reply  Edit

I live in the Philippines, so heater is of no use. I'm going to have to manual switch for my radiator fan and yes its going to be in RWD form. I ain't going to track my car just want it to be my daily driver and can't afford any water line rerouting kit.
EXXX

659 posts [77%]
Montreal QC

Re: (Mikare) » Reply  Edit

dude im making a budget 4age 20v turbo and i customized my own rerouting kit. I am going to complete it next week and i will post up a thread about it. the only thing that it will cost u is material and welds if u dont know or have a welder.
GtsTone23

3595 posts [99%]
Chicago IllaNoise

Re: (EXXX) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by EXXX »
dude im making a budget 4age 20v turbo and i customized my own rerouting kit. I am going to complete it next week and i will post up a thread about it. the only thing that it will cost u is material and welds if u dont know or have a welder.

Pics and progress on your custom waterline kit would be great!! Good Luck

"Behind every Successful Man lies a Pack of HATERS,
If they aint Hating Now, They'll be Hating Later"
~GtsTone23~

EXXX

659 posts [77%]
Montreal QC

Re: (GtsTone23) » Reply  Edit

Here are SOME pictures of my build... I have not updated it YET I will do in the near future

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=64740

you see the custom water rerouting plate i made.

elmerkit

351 posts [100%]
carson la

» Reply  Edit

Wow that a lot of work with the modification. just a suggestion how about adding a oil cooler to help up the rad to cool down the engine.

"On sale Itp tires and ATV tires"

titus86

336 posts [100%]
spartanburg sc

So exxx you ever finish up your water reroute kit?

name: Titus Yang
car: 1984 ae86 hatch
model: sr5 with gts full conversion
engine: ae111 "blacktop" 4age (in the works)
suspension: D2 sports 36way adjustable

Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

» Reply  Edit

yes I agree with you elmerkit, it's a lot of work and he still bashed the firewall and has an unservicable system. Now this is just my personal opinion but I think the 'conversion' done here is a shocker. For much less work this could of been without the external pipes and the big mess.

Have a look at the last picture in that thread by EXXX, it simple, neat and easy.

I don't think anyone should pick up a hammer when doing any 20V conversion.

Criticism and other people opinions welcome.

My website - conversion parts, articles, services...

s-86.com

-20v RWD conversion parts for sale

EXXX

659 posts [77%]
Montreal QC

Re: (Sam_Q) » Reply  Edit

Also check that random piece I found in my 4age junk pile. It looks like a heater hose attachment where 2 out of the 3 sensors bolt strait into. Thats a little gem of a part and I have NO Idea where it comes out of... Either a 1991 Corolla GTS (FWD) or a MR2 mk1. I will post more pics this week of the complete water line kit.
smokin-kp61

37 posts [100%]
jackson nj

Re: DIY: 20v water lines in an ae86 (nixeighty6) » Reply  Edit

would it work if i blocked original water lines off and took the u piece off of the head that goes into the back of the water pump and split it in two and used the back of the water pump as the inlet and out of the head as the outlet
EXXX

659 posts [77%]
Montreal QC

Re: DIY: 20v water lines in an ae86 (smokin-kp61) » Reply  Edit

U could do that but where would you have the thermostat? Best thing to do is get the water pump housing from a SR5 and make or have someone make a tubing that you could replace the "horn" type one that goes to the back of the water pump to make that go to the rad. U would still need to loop the back of the head where the original thermostat housing is. And if you want heating you will need to run tubing from the back of the thermostat housing (the SR5 one) to the side of the head where the original heater outlet is.
smokin-kp61

37 posts [100%]
jackson nj

Re: DIY: 20v water lines in an ae86 (EXXX) » Reply  Edit

ya i planned on cutting the wall between the two ports to loop the back of the engine and the drilling into my block off plate for my heat return

Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

that although rough would work fine.

s-86.com

EXXX

659 posts [77%]
Montreal QC

Re: DIY: 20v water lines in an ae86 (Sam_Q) » Reply  Edit

Yeah you can go that route. Check out my set up which is obviously not done but probably the best pics on the net right now.

I still havent made the part that goes from the head to the rad YET. Will come soon.

smokin-kp61

37 posts [100%]
jackson nj

ya i think it alot easier doin it that way but is that a 16v water pump

EXXX

659 posts [77%]
Montreal QC

Well THIS one is a 8v (sr5) water pump housing with the 20v Waterpump that I shaved the blades down abit to fit the housing. I think the 16v has the same housing but i cant tell you for sure cuz i never got to touch a 4age 16v out of an AE86 only out of the AE92s and AW11s and those have 2 different housings completely.
Sam_Q

579 posts [99%]
Australia vic

» Reply  Edit

doesn't matter which pump you use so long as you use the matching pulley. Worse case scenerio is that part of the casting on the pump will need a light trim to clear the cam belt covers

Oh and nice job taking the pics Exxx

s-86.com

smokin-kp61

37 posts [100%]
jackson nj

o ok im gunna do it the same way as u except im gunna use the oem 20v water pump and housing o and wat did you use to mill that block of aluminum
EXXX

659 posts [77%]
Montreal QC

Re: (Sam_Q) » Reply  Edit

To put the 8v/16v water pump housing you gotta shave the block abit where the stud is right ontop of the water pump.

To machine the aluminum block I a used a Vertical mill and one of my friends shop. Use the gasket to make a template for the bolt holes. I made a updated template that would work even better I will take a pic of it and post it later today.

-E

hf91

39 posts [100%]
BSB

Re: DIY: 20v water lines in an ae86 (nixeighty6) » Reply  Edit

What if i just remove the thermo housing on the 20v rear head?? My plan is to totally delete the a/c heater & just block off the hole at the back of the 20v head with custom plate..

Since im gonna use back my 16v rwd water pump & 16v top water neck with custom adapter to fit the 20v head, just relocate the 2 sensors somewhere.. Is this possible??

EXXX

659 posts [77%]
Montreal QC

Re: DIY: 20v water lines in an ae86 (hf91) » Reply  Edit

Well the 2 holes in theback of the head need to flow through to eachother cuz thats the path of the coolant... If u are not making a plate like mine then u should drill through the wall between those ports in the head then block it off. U will also need to block off the top port on the 16v water pump and the back one if u are not using the heater.
hf91

39 posts [100%]
BSB

so where do you relocate the 2 sensors (water temp sensors for ecu & gauge cluster)??? Do i need specific location for that??
EXXX

659 posts [77%]
Montreal QC

Re: (hf91) » Reply  Edit

best places is the hot zone so the back and side of the head is the best place. I havent put any holes for the sensors on my custom backing plate yet cuz i still didnt decide what sensors I am going to be using. But I did find this awesome toyota sensor port thing from another 4age I think from the AE95 the FWD corolla. I'll post a pic of it
 First  < 1 2   Last

» Return to Engine - 4A-GE 20V