Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 DIY: BT 20V to ae86 wiringFirst  1 2 3 4 >  Last
Author Post
nixeighty6

194 posts [100%]
harrisburg pa

DIY: BT 20V to ae86 wiring Reply  Edit

For some reason this information is not all in one place on this site, if at all. so hopefully this can help you guy's in your searching and researching.

This is using a complete ae111 wiring harness and ECU, and a complete gt-s - ae86 engine harness. i used ae86 alternator, starter, and a/c.

you should have a good understanding of how to do wiring, soddering and the basic understanding of how a cerciut works.

Start by marking every plug as you pull the harness off the motor, then remove all the wire lume from harness, rap electrical tape once or twice around the wires every 6 inches or so, also where ever wires split off or come in. this is to keep the wires neet.

Do the same for the ae111 wiring harness, where the harness passes through the fire wall there is a cast ruber lume compression thing going on, be real easy and cut the rubber as you pull each wire out individually, try not to cut the wires, after marking all the wires you can start removing what is not needed, just go slow and trace where stuff is going and where it came from.

after you have both of the harnesses out and labled, and the ae111 harness reduced to what you need, you basicly cut the wires out of the ae86 -gts harness and sodder them in the ae111 harness where needed.

Heres what worked for me

There are six conectors that you are dealing with when doing a b/t to ae86, gts swap.

(1.) ae111 ecu plug 1 , 26 pin conector

(2.) ae111 ecu plug 2 , 16 pin conector

(3.) ae111 ecu plug 3 , 22 pin conector

(4.) ae86 ecu plug t , 14 pin conector - comes off in car harness

(5.) ae86 fire wall harness , 11 pin conector

(6.) ae86 engine harness "not ecu" , 13 pin conector - goes to fuse and relay box near ecu.

to simplify thing i'll refer to these plugs as stated above.

In the ae111 swap to the ae86 most of the wire for the (1.) ae111 ecu plug 1 , 26 pin conector are unchanged exept for the els1, els2, els3 and cf pins witch are not needed in this application.

in the (2.) ae111 ecu plug 2 , 16 pin conector els4 is not needed, and i hooked e2 to (4.) ae86 ecu plug t , 14 pin conector pin, e2 sensor ground. all the others are unchanged

on the (3.) ae111 ecu plug 3 , 22 pin conector there are 6 wires that needs to be hooked up to it's place on the ae86 wireing.

starting at the start. this is first (3.) ae111 ecu pin then where it hooks to on ae86

sta, blk-w - to (5.) ae86 fire wall harness blk-w wire also - spit to starter signal wire blk-w

ac1
act are not needed, you do however cut the wire for the a/c magnetic clutch for the ae86 ecu. my car does blow cold air

sp1, purple/w - to (4.)ae86 ecu plug t, blue/w - for speed sensor

w, r/y - to (6.) ae86 engine harness "not ecu" g/w - for warning light

FC, g/r - to g/r circuit open relay, sits above where the ecu sits in the ae86

BATT, r/w - to (4.)ae86 ecu plug t r/w - battery +

+B, blk, split that goes every where - to (4.)ae86 ecu plug t
r/blk - main relay

(4.) coverd above 3 wires go to (3.) ae111 ecu plug 3 , 22 pin conector, one goes to (2.) ae111 ecu plug 2. the rest are not used. you only need one main relay wire, so one is not used, and 2 wires are for the afm - not needed
i have a question about THA inlet air temp, where does it go? my car does run fine without this hooked up.
2 wires are for the afm - not needed
the ground i think i run to ae111 ecu plug 2 just for safety

as for (5.) ae86 fire wall harness

blk/orange - to ae111 coil, and to the blk/w on the igniter that goes to a split-where it meets all four injector positive wires. there will be a sixth wire you can run back to where the blk/orange meets the coil.

blk/ red dots - to ae11 igniter...whatch out there is 2blk/red dots

blk/w - to (3.)ae111 ecu plug 3 sta, splt to starter signal... already covered above

y/g - to coolant temp sensor

a/c wires you shouldn't have cut unless removing a/c

this is (6.) not ecu, most of them are for the wipers/washer 5 wires in total. and 5 are for afm - one is g/r that go to curciut open relay,

anouther way to look at it

location location
ae86 color on ae86 purpose on ae111 ae111 color

y-blk fire wall oil pres. oil pres. sender - y-blk
use ae86 sender

y-g fire wall colant temp. coolant temp sender - y-g
side of termostat hosing

blk-w fire wall starter starter, split to ecu 3 - blk-w

blk-r fire wall igniter igniter - blk

blk-orange fire wall coil/igniter coil - blk-w

brown ecu plug t ground ecu plug 2 brown

red-blk ecu plug t +B ecu plug 3 blk

red-w ecu plug t battery + ecu plug 3 red-w

blue-w ecu plug t speed sensor ecu plug 3 purple-w

g-w not ecu plug warning light ecu plug 3 red-yellow

g-r circuit open relay COR ecu plug 3 g-r

Please let me know if i mest up anywhere, my car fired right up with this set up. and has run for 20 thousand miles as of 2/08.. and sold the car with no problem had

if i have any more information i'll revise this post, good luck.

i added a diagram and 2 pics of some of the notes i took... i spent as much time reaserching and figureing this out as i did on the rest of the swap. i haave 5 more pages of notes, but there contents are in this post. ecu pin outs for the ae86 are in the tech referance section of this club

first pic is ae86 harness with plugs labled and out of the car

pic 2 is after removing the wiring loom and taping to keep it neet

3rd pic is fitting ae111 harness and conecting whats needed in a rough splice.

4th again inside in a rough splice, got it runing this way then shortend everything and cleaned it all up

5th is ae86 plug T, this is the plug that you do most of the splicing form

6th and 7th are pics of putting the ae86 mounting brackets on the ae111. you have to modify the top bracket because the ae111 ecu is taller

8th is the finished ecu

9th this is about the extent of the wiring you can see in the engine bay. notice the diagnistics box in the far left corner of the engine bay by the wiper motor. i found the mounting bracket for the coil and igniter off a 92 toyota pic up or something.
and yes i have heat... but thats anouther wright up all together

10th pic is what i had left over, ae111 on the right, ae86 on the left

19:48:21

DONT BELIEVE THE BLACK MARKS THAT AT THE TOP SAY'S THEY MEEN DONT NEED, THE POST IS CORRECT NOT THE NOTES, you dont need are afm ones and the pink wire, YOU NEED THE WIRES FORM THE BODY HARNESS PLUG, exept one of the ac wires and the blk/red dots that goes to the vacume switch

AGAIN: THE POST IS CORRECT NOT THE NOTES

best of luck

Modified by nixeighty6 at 5:34 AM 7/18/2008

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

Re: DIY: BT 20V to ae86 wiring (nixeighty6) » Reply  Edit

Got a PDF writer???? You might want to "publish" that.....

Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/ USE it!

I've been wrong before... and at somepoint in time, I'll be wrong again

nixeighty6

194 posts [100%]
harrisburg pa

Re: DIY: BT 20V to ae86 wiring (oldeskewltoy) » Reply  Edit

I'm sorry i don't know what that meens, cheers though, thanks
fishtail

101 posts [100%]

with the g-r (orc) from the ecu, do you tap it into the g-r wire going into the relay, or do you cut it and and connect it to the relay and leave the other end taped up
JoeJITSU

460 posts [100%]

Nice!
can you do AE111 to AE92 too?
I can pay you. Thanks
nixeighty6

194 posts [100%]
harrisburg pa

Re: DIY: BT 20V to ae86 wiring (fishtail) » Reply  Edit

i just taped into the g-r wire for the relay. i didn't cut the wire, just removed some of the cover and soddered right to the wire.

as for the ae92 to ae111, the only reason i did this was because i had to to get the engine i wanted into the car i had. after figuring it out, i thaught i'de right it up to help whomever was in the same situation.

sorry but ithers no hope for me doing an ae92. time and pationce and a good bit of reading is what got me through.

best of luck

fishtail

101 posts [100%]

can u reload the ae86 plug t, for some reason we cant see it
fishtail

101 posts [100%]

on plug (6) i can't find the one that's a 13 pin connector, i see a 14 pin connector that has 2 red/green wires that come out of 1 pin hole, is that the one you tap into the open circuit relay?what is the purpose of that wire anyways
fishtail

101 posts [100%]

what is the purpose of the +B wire, is it suppose to have power once i turn on the ignition switch
fishtail

101 posts [100%]

found the purpose of the +B wire, provides power to ecu. found out after testing that the wire isn't hot after i turn the key, so i've narrowed it down to either the main relay or there's a break in that wire somewhere
nixeighty6

194 posts [100%]
harrisburg pa

i have know clue, but i spliced that to my COR (circuit open relay) without cutting the wire, just removing some of the covering and soddering to the g/r wire
mr john

3496 posts [100%]
san diego ca

stuff like this is always soo much help to everyone, thanks for taking the time!

JSP http://www.jspfab.com

custom fabrication, custom tig welding applications
turbo manifolds, headers, exhaust systems
stand alone ecu wiring, custom wiring harnesses, and wire harness tucks

2588 progress st suite 3
vista ca, 92081 619-788-3415
by appointment only

nixeighty6

194 posts [100%]
harrisburg pa

Re: DIY: BT 20V to ae86 wiring (mr john) » Reply  Edit

tougeguy

122 posts [100%]
HB SolCal

» Reply  Edit

Thanks!! I've been waiting for this to be re-posted.

http://i108.photobucket.com/al...0.jpg
MayanWarrior

3273 posts [96%]
925 CA

» Reply  Edit

I remember this post. Were you the one saying you can help with tips on wiring it into a carbed car? I'd like to put a BT 20v into my TE72 (3tc) car. The harness was takin out of a running GTS so that's ok. Any advice? Thanks in advance and yes, you kick balls

who can? the mexi-CAN!
I'm not a ricer, I'm a beaner
tougeguy

122 posts [100%]
HB SolCal

» Reply  Edit

do you know what wires you would have to modify to make this work with EDIS and Mega Squirt ECU??

Kwanza

202 posts [100%]

Re: (tougeguy) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by tougeguy »
do you know what wires you would have to modify to make this work with EDIS and Mega Squirt ECU??

COMPLETELY different.

1995 AT200 Celica ST: stocked out daily driver...

1984 AE86 Corolla GT-SR5: MAP Silvertop 20V 4AGE project car jacked up with goodies...

1991 SW2x MR2 n/a: bare bones hardtop model soon to be...

Max_Misawa

30794 posts [99%]
San Jose CA

» Reply  Edit

i would not mind getting the toyota wiring diagram book for an AE111

Max

Send me an e-mail

Maxfrommisawa@aol.com

No More Toll Free Number Sorry Guys :(

nixeighty6

194 posts [100%]
harrisburg pa

Re: (MayanWarrior) » Reply  Edit

sorry man i'm really not sure on the carb deal don't know how the ecu would run without the inputs fron the map. but i don't know, i never delt with that stuff. if you want to run anything past me feel free.

please email @ nixeighty6@yahoo.com. .... that goes for the rest of you guy's as well

gtSr5

1546 posts [88%]
Spartanburg SC

Re: (nixeighty6) » Reply  Edit

i just finished up the majority of this wiring swap.. let me tell u u are a lifesaver man.. your time is greatly appreciated.. i have a few thinks to pick your brain on.. at the ignitor.. there are 3 black wires.. one large and 2 small.. theres also the blue and the yellow wires.. i know where the colored wires go.. but which black wires do i hook to what or are they all grounds or what?

other question is this.. the main relay connector on the ae86..
the black wire with red stripe at the engine bay fuse box.. it is just ran back to the non ecu plug right?

another thing to ask.. the check connector was cut off my 20v harness.. any idea on how to solve that issue?hehe.

currently i have the harness loomed and on the car now.. the only things i have left myself are the wiring to the coil and ignitor.. there appears to be some sort of resistor or relay on the coil ignitor with a 2 wire plug.. black and white/black wires on its plug.. and i dont have the pigtail for the coil.. but have the one for the ignitor..

otherwise my wiring is complete aside from finding a map sensor for the engine.. waterlines are the next thing to tackle i plan on going with the cheap over the exhaust setup until i can swing the ssworks style kit.. i heard somewhere that barry was working on something like this? anyone care to back that up?

once again thanx for all your hard work and anything u can tell me on my situation is greatly appreciated in advance.

quote garage 86"upgrade yourself 1st .... DONT upgrade your car sooo much ,that YOU YOURSELF cant even catch up to your own upgrades ..."
tougeguy

122 posts [100%]
HB SolCal

Re: (Max_Misawa) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Max_Misawa »
i would not mind getting the toyota wiring diagram book for an AE111

Max

Can you get these?? How Much?

gtSr5

1546 posts [88%]
Spartanburg SC

» Reply  Edit

ok map sensor is on .. my only question now is on the ignitor plug.. theres 3 black wires im thinking they are all grounds but wanted to make sure.. and also the 2 wires off the firewall harness with red dots which one do i need to use again?

quote garage 86"upgrade yourself 1st .... DONT upgrade your car sooo much ,that YOU YOURSELF cant even catch up to your own upgrades ..."
hachijoohachi

90 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

nice!

94' FD3S
86`AE86
70' R100
SuprltvCnspircy

222 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

with an auto ecu, what do you have to loop so the car will start? something with the neutral or park position?
silver_hatch2

800 posts [88%]

» Reply  Edit

badass writeup!!

correct me if im wrong, but it might only be if you are using the auto harness, not ecu itself

SuprltvCnspircy

222 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

what changes and can anyone help me with a map set up? arent ae111's map sensors? im confused...
SuprltvCnspircy

222 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

blk/orange - to ae111 coil, and to the blk/w on the igniter that goes to a split-where it meets all four injector positive wires. there will be a sixth wire you can run back to where the blk/orange meets the coil.

what does this mean? ive traced the blk/white wire from the coil and ignitor, and from the injectors, found the split and fount the sixth. Now do you cut the 6th where it runs very close to the ecu plugs?

Jezza

52 posts [100%]

Someone should make this a sticky. Stuff like this is hard to come by.
SuprltvCnspircy

222 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

uuhhh i think it is...
pandatrueno4ag

238 posts [100%]
Boise ID

» Reply  Edit

can the same method be used for the silvertop into an ae86? i have a st 20v im putting in my ae86 and i dont have much knowlege about thw wiring for the swap.

First  1 2 3 4 >  Last

» Return to Engine - 4A-GE 20V