Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 My GTS Build..."Energizer"First  < 28 29 30 31 32 >  Last
Author Post
kmcn47

21 posts [100%]
ohio

» Reply  Edit

cant wait to see this priject done, well this part of it atleast long detailed thread, can tell you really car about this car
morgan

6446 posts [93%]
just be glad your not here, nj

Re: (kmcn47) » Reply  Edit

Thanks, it's gonna go a bit slower now...

Had my 2nd child this past Thursday, my first daughter!

haha cali...i got one of you 86's, and your not getting it back.
my 20v in an 86 swap guide
my mess of an 86...
*east coast toyotas forum*
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

» Reply  Edit

long overdue update...i actually put some work in last nite! painted the hatch in filler primer, its a "rust red" color and it looks awesome. i actually started dreaming about painting my whole car that color, clearing it, and calling it a day. thankfully Mike was there to talk me out of it, it would have been cool, for a month or 2 untill i got sick of it. then i decided to do an experiment, and lather the drivers rear quarter in stripper, since that side is covered in bondo. did a good job removing stuff, even some of the bondo came up. now i need to upload the pics i took over a month ago of the new wheel test fitment on the rear...

my mess of an 86...
Rey Trossi

637 posts [100%]
Bay Shore NY

Re: (morgan) » Reply  Edit

Congrats on the baby. You are just starting im done with that im now ready for grankids soon hahaha not yet. Make sure you get enough sleep.
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: (Rey Trossi) » Reply  Edit

heres the pics from last month of the test fitment on the rear. kind of hard to tell since theres nothing weighing the rear down and it looks like im going off road with my neighbors jeep...

heres the drivers rear quarter...and the 10lbs of bondo i need to remove.

love this color, its a bit flashier than i normally go for, but it would look good imo.

my mess of an 86...
Jeonsah

1814 posts [95%]
Co

» Reply  Edit

Dope build as always. Those wheels look sick with those center caps. Great work man

WTB AE86 Best Motoring International Vol. 42. Pm if you have it!
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: (Jeonsah) » Reply  Edit

Thanks Vic.

Stripped the rear panel today with Mike, and removed the 5lbs of bondo. This aircraft stripper is toxic and nauseating, but it does such a good job, and so much quicker than sanding that I'm gonna finish the car with it. I can tell every time a little flake of paint gets on my arm because it starts to burn. I'm using leath gloves because the nitrile gloves I started with, bubbled up when they came in contact with the stripper.

my mess of an 86...
pholife

3691 posts [100%]
Laguna Beach CA

looksgood...should be back in summit in a week...i take out my gts for a spin before winter....

http://www.torparts.com

The WORLD Leader in OEM+Plus Reproduction Parts.

Get on facebook...torparts corollla for updates and discounts.

morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: (pholife) » Reply  Edit

well hit me up if you have some free time. ill PM you my cell#

my mess of an 86...
zenkicoupe

3412 posts [77%]
dirty fontana so. cali.

» Reply  Edit

Man it's been a while. The wing came out good.
Congrats on your baby girl. If ya need advice Lmk, I have an 8yr old daughter...Lols

http://zenkitrdcoupe.blogspot.com/

email grnrolla86 at yahoo dot com

morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: (zenkicoupe) » Reply  Edit

Thanks, and will do. I see your email in the sig...

my mess of an 86...
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

» Reply  Edit

got a little work done yesterday, the inside of the hatch is ready to be primed and seam sealed again. slowely but surely this is coming along, not this weekend, but next, i have all day sunday to work on it, and after work the following 3 days. saving my energy for a big and productive few days then.

my mess of an 86...
AZNWOKZ
WOK Moderator

2081 posts [100%]
CT

Keep up with the AWESOME WORK!

http://www.ectoyotas.com
Are you from the East Coast? If so,Please join

∧,,∧
 (;`・ω・)  。・゚・⌒) チャーハン作るよ!!
 /   o━ヽニニフ))
 しー-J
MOKKORI to the max =)
WOK WOK WOK!!!! :P
Club4ag is like a World wide Swap Meet,I Keep coming back.Community :thumbup:

pchanichiban

1458 posts [100%]
MN

Sounds like me, I have to plan ahead to work on the car now that the second one has arrived. I thought I warned you Don't worry You'll get it done!
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: (pchanichiban) » Reply  Edit

i believe you did warn me, thats why there was a mad dash before she was born, but the effort wasnt enough...not even close. this sunday i have the entire day to do work, then monday after work too. hopefully i can make some serious progress and the heat wave we have been dealing with subsides for those 2 days...

ordered an oil filter relocation kit yesterday, no name from a member here, but its something ive been wanting for some time. couldnt pass it up.

my mess of an 86...
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

» Reply  Edit

heres some updates from week(s) back...

rear is stripped...

pass. side is now also stripped, to match the drivers side, minus the "C" pillars...

pass. side door jams are started, but not complete...

going to spend a little more time today to try and complete both sides in every part of the door jams.

my mess of an 86...
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

» Reply  Edit

long over due update...
i put some plastic body filler on some dents weeks ago, finally got back to doing something about it. also rolled the rear fenders completly, heres after rough sanding.

layed down a guide coat.

damn, missed one dent.

need a little more filler where the rear side markers were, and this body line should have been filled from the factory.

the rear panel is ready for primer, aside from where this dent is. 2 birds with one stone...take care of the dent, and the body line.

my mess of an 86...
ga_goosh

2498 posts [100%]
far enough to require shipping HTX

» Reply  Edit

the body is comming together very nicely. cant believe you are able to make time for this great job

I <3 my AE86

Kouki 86-87 Service Manual
4AGE Diagnostic Manual
Toyota Wiring Repair Manual
20V Blacktop fsm
.......USE THEM!!!.......

TEXAS 86 Forum
http://www.86garage.com

morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: (ga_goosh) » Reply  Edit

thanks man, its going much much slower than i had hoped, but at least its moving along. its a learning process with this body work, and i was a bit reluctant in the beginning, but its getting easier now after getting poiinters and tips from some people im friends with that have the experience. ive come to the conclusion, and set myself a goal of early next summer to have it painted and legal again. my registration and inspection are both expired, and theres no insurance, so ill be getting classic plates for it for lower insurance rates.

my mess of an 86...
Jeonsah

1814 posts [95%]
Co

» Reply  Edit

Great work!, keep it up man. Just take your time and make sure it comes out flawless. Also, dont cheap out on the paint and gun. Get some pricey paint and it'll look perfect.

WTB AE86 Best Motoring International Vol. 42. Pm if you have it!
ga_goosh

2498 posts [100%]
far enough to require shipping HTX

wow i didnt know classic plates helped with insurance rates. is there maximum milage a year with the classic plates? here in texas we have antique and classic auto plates i think the antique plates require a maximum of 5000 miles a year.(which yes i can fake that since i have 2 gaude clusters ) mainly it says its for parades and car shows. ill have to look into that any bit helps right lol.

I <3 my AE86

Kouki 86-87 Service Manual
4AGE Diagnostic Manual
Toyota Wiring Repair Manual
20V Blacktop fsm
.......USE THEM!!!.......

TEXAS 86 Forum
http://www.86garage.com

morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: (ga_goosh) » Reply  Edit

similar deal here, i plan to use Haggerty insurance and they also have the milage rule. i plan on grabbing a cheapo sr5 cluster to do the samethat youre thinking.

thanks Vic.

my mess of an 86...
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

» Reply  Edit

just about finished with these sections, you can see at teh bottom, the primered areas. there 2 little spots i found on the rear pass quarter, and 2 or 3 more on the rear section. should have those completed by saturday. now i remember why i hate body work...fill, sand, fill, sand, fill, sand, guidecoat, sand, fill...this ish takes forever!

heres the progress, ready for primer, just about...

primered...

also pushed the huge dent on the rear drivers quarter out a lot, just need to fill it now, and it wont be 3/4" worth of filler either. also tried cleaniing the starter contacts to see if that fixed the problem, no dice.

my mess of an 86...
yellowsnow4free

303 posts [100%]

The bodywork is looking good morgan!

My AE86 is pretty straight, but there are a couple spots I've been doing bodywork on.

Question: are you applying the primer with a paint gun or a rattle can? It looks great in the pics!

Keep up the good work!

Also, do you have any tips for doing bodywork? (I read your above post about it being a learning process and such)

Thanks!

Cutting up an AE86? Please me know! I need body panels!

Petition to Reinstate the CA 30 Year Smog Exemption

morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: (yellowsnow4free) » Reply  Edit

Thanks.
the primer is Filler Primer from a can. once the car is ready, that will be sanded one last time. as for tips, patience. its hard for me since im used to doing work that doesnt entail doing it repeatedly: building motors, bolting stuff like suspension up, etc...
take your time, and buy quality materials. i spent $150+ on a sanding block(hook & loop), 3 rolls of paper(240, 400, & 600 grit), a small can of plastic filler, and a tube of seam sealer. guide coats help a ton. i have been doing everything in a not so traditional way but thats because i had a sh!t-ton of rattle can on there already, on top of the stock paint. i used aircraft stripper and brought it down to bare metal. gave it a quick shot of black guide coat, then went over that with 240 grit to show the dings and dents. i filled as many in as i could, then sanded them all down. another guide coat adn some quick sanding to show the imperfections. repeat that as many times as needed. some of the big dents i tried my hand at with a hammer and dolly(which to my suprise i did pretty good with) so i could put the minimal amount of filler on each one. minimal is key, put light coats, sand a little, light coat, repeat. it really is a learning process and its been going pretty good. i have a friend who used to do body work, and my dad also did it before, so they gave me tips, i watched them, they criticized my techiques and corrected me, then i just had at it for a while. my friend stopped by yesterday and pointed out a few flaws which i already saw, but overall he said it was looking good. just take your time.

my mess of an 86...
yellowsnow4free

303 posts [100%]

Quote, originally posted by morgan »
Thanks.
the primer is Filler Primer from a can. once the car is ready, that will be sanded one last time. as for tips, patience. its hard for me since im used to doing work that doesnt entail doing it repeatedly: building motors, bolting stuff like suspension up, etc...
take your time, and buy quality materials. i spent $150+ on a sanding block(hook & loop), 3 rolls of paper(240, 400, & 600 grit), a small can of plastic filler, and a tube of seam sealer. guide coats help a ton. i have been doing everything in a not so traditional way but thats because i had a sh!t-ton of rattle can on there already, on top of the stock paint. i used aircraft stripper and brought it down to bare metal. gave it a quick shot of black guide coat, then went over that with 240 grit to show the dings and dents. i filled as many in as i could, then sanded them all down. another guide coat adn some quick sanding to show the imperfections. repeat that as many times as needed. some of the big dents i tried my hand at with a hammer and dolly(which to my suprise i did pretty good with) so i could put the minimal amount of filler on each one. minimal is key, put light coats, sand a little, light coat, repeat. it really is a learning process and its been going pretty good. i have a friend who used to do body work, and my dad also did it before, so they gave me tips, i watched them, they criticized my techiques and corrected me, then i just had at it for a while. my friend stopped by yesterday and pointed out a few flaws which i already saw, but overall he said it was looking good. just take your time.

Wow, thanks morgan!

Yeah, that hammer and dolly stuff really does work, it just takes time and the results are slow and subtle.

I bought a Haynes techbook on paint and autobody repairs; a bit old (not much info on hammer and dolly / paintless dent repair) but it was cheap and very helpful! (YouTube is a great resource too)

Good luck with your project!

AE86Kai
Global Moderator

6773 posts [100%]
Tokyo, JAPAN

» Reply  Edit

Job well done sir....!
(quarter panel looks much cleaner without side-markers.... )

pholife

3691 posts [100%]
Laguna Beach CA

Re: (AE86Kai) » Reply  Edit

now i remember why i hate body work...fill, sand, fill, sand, fill, sand, guidecoat, sand, fill...this ish takes forever!

wax on wax off.....hardwork pays off! keep up the good work playboy and always JERSEY RULES!

http://www.torparts.com

The WORLD Leader in OEM+Plus Reproduction Parts.

Get on facebook...torparts corollla for updates and discounts.

Honoturtle

541 posts [100%]
Honolulu HI

Re: (pholife) » Reply  Edit

Progress looking good!

Coupe Sprinter. Precision. Style. Strength. Toyota.
yellowsnow4free

303 posts [100%]

Hey morgan, this is from AE86Kai's build thread:

Quote, originally posted by morgan »
Yellowsnow-dont bother with the dealer stuff, that foam strip sucks. use the same/similar adhesive as the newer car windshiels use, its a thick tar like adhesive that comes in a caulk tube. the faom stuff deteriorates and leaks, its bad to use, heres a link

I haven't pulled off my window trim yet, but where is the foam strip?

I took a look at this diagram but I can't figure out where it would go.

Is the foam strip black? Whenever I wash my car black stuff comes out around my windows.

Thanks

First  < 28 29 30 31 32 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs