Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 My GTS Build..."Energizer"First  < 28 29 30 31 32   Last
Author Post
morgan

6446 posts [93%]
just be glad your not here, nj

Re: (yellowsnow4free) » Reply  Edit

It's in that diagram, named "weatherstrip". Like a black powdery stuff? That's the seal disintegrating.

haha cali...i got one of you 86's, and your not getting it back.
my 20v in an 86 swap guide
my mess of an 86...
*east coast toyotas forum*
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.
yellowsnow4free

303 posts [100%]

Re: (morgan) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by morgan »
It's in that diagram, named "weatherstrip". Like a black powdery stuff? That's the seal disintegrating.

Ah, I gotcha.

Sounds like I'll need to remove all the old gasket then put that 3M stuff on in it's place.

Sure better than $50+ from the stealership

Thanks!

Cutting up an AE86? Please me know! I need body panels!

Petition to Reinstate the CA 30 Year Smog Exemption

morgan

6446 posts [93%]

^no prob, ill be buying some of that stuff myself soon, too.

spent a little time saturday and sunday on the car, weather was beautiful for a change.
stripped the drivers door jam/rocker panel partially(needs another coat of stripper).

this is the 3rd thin layer of plastic body filler on the rear drivers quarter.

then sanded the 3rd layer. its taking shape nicely. should only be another 2 thin layers til its done. also started filling in a bunch of other dings and dents i found.

tuesday i anticipate having this area done by the end of the night.

my mess of an 86...
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

so i had more work anticipated to be complete last nite, than actually got done, but im still happy with the outcome. Mike stopped by and helped strip the roof, looks like tripe...

action shot! me scrapping the 2nd coating off, still needs another 1 or 2...

i kinda put this to the side, but theres one last layer of plastic body filler on it, ready to be sanded...

Hector stopped by in the middle of this, to pick up some parts i made for his 1uz te72, and brought me a 255 Walbro for the car. the fuel pump i bought last year works fine, but the pickup/sock filter sucks, and its like i have an sr5 tank when the tank is 1/3 or less. this walbro can fit the oem filter on it, so im going with this, just need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator as per Hecs recommendations.

Hec also stopped by with a starter, and sure enough, my starter is crapola. ran the car for 10+ minutes...its been a while...ohhh the sound of the ITBs, been missing that.

my mess of an 86...
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

» Reply  Edit

Lil update...rear drivers quarter is done and primed, 2 flaws showed up but that will be taken care of later with the rest that showed up after primer. Ordered a lightly used T3 test pipe and black oem door panel arm rests in great condition too.

Modified by morgan at 10:25 PM 9/30/2012

my mess of an 86...
GtsTone23

3595 posts [99%]
Chicago IllaNoise

» Reply  Edit

Damn, the last time I checked out this thread you just finished your 20v swap. Your doin big things!! Lol, nice job bro, keep up the good work.

"Behind every Successful Man lies a Pack of HATERS,
If they aint Hating Now, They'll be Hating Later"
~GtsTone23~

TD86

52 posts [100%]
Carson CA

This thread makes me a bit scared of body work... xD But awesome work nonetheless :D Will be looking forward to more updates!

Also that "86" sticker on the center caps for the rims.. genius!!!! xD

The day when I get my own AE86 will come soon..
4A-C ohhh yeaaaaahh xD
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: (GtsTone23) » Reply  Edit

Lol, I vaguely remember that moment. Well...as busy as I've been with life, I don't remember much. Thanks, one day it shall be complete...on this step at least.

my mess of an 86...
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: (TD86) » Reply  Edit

thanks TD86, i just realized you posted, at the same time i posted the last reply. the body work is a nightmare, but whatever...this is my diy build and in the end i want to have learned most of the skills needed to build a car, im progressing towards that goal nicely.

did a lil work last nite, not much tho, more so...preparation.
the roof and B-pillars are completly stripped now, along with the top of the door jambs.

my mess of an 86...
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

» Reply  Edit

been lazy with the body work lately, need a break from the monotonous sanding...so i refreshed my recently purchased, slightly used, T3 test pipe. had some slight surface rust, so i removed that, and painted it with high temp paint. then, installed it.

my mess of an 86...
AE86Kai
Global Moderator

6773 posts [100%]
Tokyo, JAPAN

» Reply  Edit

Looks like your body-repair skills are going higher and higher everyday!! Great job!
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: (AE86Kai) » Reply  Edit

thanks Haru

did a little more work the past few days, the back end is finished...the hatch, trd copy wing, both quarters, and the area beneath the hatch, and the rear quarter windows area. next is the door jambs, roof...then i need to get the doors, fenders, and hood back from my dad...who didnt bother doing sh!t in the past year.

we got the first snow yesterday so i couldnt continue with body work, so i decided to make my adapter harnesses for the aw11 front turn signals that i will be using on my jdm zenki bumper. i bought some old cra@ppy usdm signals too use the plugs from, and found mating plugs for the aw11 signals, on a fwd sedan ae92(which only had 2 wires and i needed 3 so i needed 3 plugs total for that.

aw11 signals/ae92 plugs on left/ae86 signal plugs on right.

little wiring diagram, notice the pic on right is of the aw11 signal plug, not the ones from the ae92.

soldered and shrink wrapped...

plugged into the aw11 signals...

time for testing...they work, sweet!

my mess of an 86...
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

» Reply  Edit

Ordered a brand spankin new upper radiator support from the dealer...
My support is bunk, wrinkled like an old lady w a face lift so this should help drivers headlight fitment with the hood and fender.

Modified by morgan at 10:12 PM 12/27/2012

my mess of an 86...
Jeonsah

1814 posts [95%]
Co

» Reply  Edit

This build is still the best here on c4ag. Keep up the work man. I may be asking you for some prices on stuff. Are you able to get your hands on jdm parts?

WTB AE86 Best Motoring International Vol. 42. Pm if you have it!
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Re: (Jeonsah) » Reply  Edit

no jdm stuff, usdm only.

those are some big shoes to fill Vic, ill have to keep stepping it up. on that note, heres another change needed...

the obx cat-back i have is ok for me, but theres one thing that i dont like...the way it dips down low after going over the axle, then coming back up to the rear bumper, but not close enough. time for some corrective action on that problem.
the white line represents the bottom of the bumper, with 3+ inches of space, theres room for me to "tuck" the muffler up to the body, and make it parallel to the ground too. Mike and i hit this hard last nite, cutting, grinding, tacking...

1st weld, amperage up too high, just a tad, but enough to blow a hole in it. after hours of fitting, grinding, tweeking...i have it how i want it.

almost finished product, minus the welds...should have taken a before pic, although the differences are minor.

final product should have the muffler almost completly hidden, and the tip will be less than 1" from the bottom of the bumper.

my mess of an 86...
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

» Reply  Edit

more cutting and welding last night, all i need to do is tack the hanger on, and have it completly welded up. heres how it sat last night after i had enough...
it actually sits about 1" higher than shown, i just didnt feel like messing with stuff to have it at the exact height.

and a lil comparison to show the differences.

my mess of an 86...
Jeonsah

1814 posts [95%]
Co

» Reply  Edit

That looks much better. I totally agree with you about angled mufflers. I absolutely hate see'ing them on cars.

WTB AE86 Best Motoring International Vol. 42. Pm if you have it!
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

» Reply  Edit

Cut my windshield out...

my mess of an 86...
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

so the windshield got picked up yesterday. i have no room to store it, and didnt want to, since last tme i did that, the windshield broke. i was going to put it off as long as possible, and just store it...unwillingly, but i decided to just sell it when the opportunity arose. ill have to source another one later. this was actually the part i was dreading, but really interested to get out and see the reasons for my leaks. i cut the seal with a friend saturday night, then went around it again in the morning before the buyer showed up, and pulled it out myself, uncracked. :D

top passengers corner...
there was a small hole in the seal i discovered, but the rusted out area doesnt help much either.

then the top in the middle, right in front of the rear view mirror...
the worst section by far. flakes of rust went everywhere when i cut it out.

lower drivers corner...
just a few minor surface rust spots.

this is just weird to see. last time i saw an 86 like this, i proceeded to chop it up, not the case this time around.

my mess of an 86...
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

» Reply  Edit

time to start on the header, and extending the portion before the downpipe flange. i had a spacer in there preiviously, but i want to change that. heres how it looks stock...

heres the piece im planning on extending it with. apiece i cut out of the catback when tucking it...

chopped up...

inside look at the obx header, in case anyones curious...

my mess of an 86...
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

» Reply  Edit

since the good graphite exhaust gaskets are hard to find, i went looking for something different, and found these copper gaskets at Summit Racing. theres a lip around the inside diameter to help seal better.

my welder at work.

heres the exhaust all welded up

heres how the headers going to sit, and connect with the down pipe.

these will be available from TOR Parts soon...
5mm self-lockiing steering rack spacers

ae86 repo battery tie down

my mess of an 86...
morgan

6446 posts [93%]

» Reply  Edit

Finally bolted all the exhaust back up...went to start the car...nada...merry ef'ing xmas...

my mess of an 86...
yellowsnow4free

303 posts [100%]

Hey morgan,

Not to dwell on this, but how much was your windshield leaking?

My passenger side rear quarter window leaks a little, only after I wash it.

Just curious.

Thanks!

morgan

6446 posts [93%]

Whenever it rained, I had. Constant stream/drip over the passengers visor. Turned out to be a pin hole in the seal at the corner that I could see after all moldings were removed. I found it by luck the last time searching. Similar ones in the area you speak of. Replace your old crusty foam seals with 3M windshield sealant. It's cheap and comes in a tube, use with a caulk gun. Iirc, I gave you a product number or something when you started a thread a few months back. I'm telling you, the thick black sealant will fix it, in about 3 hours worth of work.

my mess of an 86...
yellowsnow4free

303 posts [100%]

Whenever it rained, I had. Constant stream/drip over the passengers visor. Turned out to be a pin hole in the seal at the corner that I could see after all moldings were removed. I found it by luck the last time searching. Similar ones in the area you speak of. Replace your old crusty foam seals with 3M windshield sealant. It's cheap and comes in a tube, use with a caulk gun. Iirc, I gave you a product number or something when you started a thread a few months back. I'm telling you, the thick black sealant will fix it, in about 3 hours worth of work.

Yeah, you're right.

I've got the time now, so I should really order that 3M stuff and get it over with

My plan is (seeing as I'll have the glass out) to tint the rear windows and maybe even repaint the window trim (since that will be off too) when I undergo resealing the rear quarter windows

We'll see if that happens though

For everyone who is interested in the info:

Yellowsnow - don't bother with the dealer stuff, that foam strip sucks. use the same/similar adhesive as the newer car windshields use, its a thick tar like adhesive that comes in a caulk tube. the foam stuff deteriorates and leaks, its bad to use, here's a link

EDIT:

Looks like the 450 ml tube costs about $15:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08695...esive

http://www.oreillyauto.com/sit...esive

1 tube should be enough for both rear quarter windows, right?

pholife

3691 posts [100%]
Laguna Beach CA

keep up the good work!

http://www.torparts.com

The WORLD Leader in OEM+Plus Reproduction Parts.

Get on facebook...torparts corollla for updates and discounts.

First  < 28 29 30 31 32   Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs