Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 4AGZE 180mm Crank Kit by NST, user reviews, thoughts, impressions...First  1 2 3 >  Last
Author Post
NonStopTuning

1781 posts [100%]

4AGZE 180mm Crank Kit by NST, user reviews, thoughts, impressions... Reply  Edit

How many club4ag members own one? How are your kits doing so far? etc...

Modified by NonStopTuning at 1:12 AM 1/23/2008

http://www.NonStopTuning.com
Offering the best in Pulleys, Clutches & Flywheels, Coilovers, and more.
Be sure to keep up with us on the NST blog!

ck1uzfeae86

100 posts [100%]
Alexandria KY

Re: 4AGZE 180mm Crank Kit by NST, user reviews, ... (NonStopTuning) » Reply  Edit

I just put mine on last week. I haven't been able to take it out for a drive yet. I've got my car torn down for suspension mods, and it may be another week before I get to.

Communication with NST sucks, at least it did for me (I know things can get crazy around the holidays). I sent a few emails after I ordered it trying to confirm that payment was recieved, but got no response. Eventually it just showed up at my door. Took about 4 weeks if I remember correctly.

The quality of the kit is good except for one thing. They powdercoated the crank pulley, but didn't plug the center, so I had to remove the powdercoating before it would fit the crank.

All in all, I am pleased with it.

Crownvicman289

1984 posts [58%]
Colorado Springs CO

» Reply  Edit

First off I have to point out the customer service: when I ordered the kit back in Spring of 2006 I had to wait 3 months to get the thing. The website said they were in stock but it was wrong. I understand that sort of thing happens, but then if I was lucky enough to get a reply I'd get strung along with a BS reply like, oh it'll be ready in a week or 2. A month later and I've heard nothing so I started emailing again and the first few get ignored so I start sending nastygrams. This process repeated itself a few times before I finally got the damn pulley.

Now for the good, the fit of the pulleys was exceptional, I didn't have to scrape anything. The belt is a POS, I burned that up in about a month. The unsealed bearing only lasted a few months as well but as far as the pulleys themselves go it's an asolute steal for $300. I did manage to destroy my crank pulley (my own personal error, no fault of NST) and when I came crawling back for the second one I had it within a week so I don't know what to think now.

89yotarollagts

1437 posts [71%]
Minnesota

Re: (Crownvicman289) » Reply  Edit

I havnt had any major issues with NST or the product itself...

the time i was researching the kit was backordered & had a date when they would be in !! this was very nice... i simply waited till that date & ordered awhile after & recieved it within reason...

Installation was very easy !

My only complaint !!! when i tighten the belt To the point where it wont slip i get a ticking noise much like a valve tick ! i seariously thought it was my New 4agze !!! once i loosened the belt, it went away... my belief is the tensioner rides too close to the crank an somehow makes this noise... i havnt had problems with the belt but my solution will hopfully be just to get a slightly shorter belt !

i love the results from the kit !! its like day & night !! This has brought alot more power throughout the entire power range Which to me has been a Great investment for my newely swapped 4agze !

Thanks for Taking the time to get some feedback on your product !! This to me shows you are interested in what "We" the buyers think & also a good way to figure out how to better your product for further sales !

~Dan

NonStopTuning

1781 posts [100%]

Re: » Reply  Edit

First, thank you to those of you who have supported our brand and our products over the past few years, I certainly do appreciate it.

The NST 180 Kit is the largest crank kit available on the market, and is the ONLY kit still being produced. NST is the only company still building these kits for the 4AGZE while other companies such as HKS, Cusco, Blitz, etc have all moved on to "bigger and better" platforms.

The NST 180 Kit has been the MOST affordable over the past few years and has been the only kit to offer customers a choice in color to make their kits more theirs.

I certainly do care very much about my business and my customers. I have taken a few steps to make the customer experience as great as possible over the past 12 months, and plan to continue.

In regards to some of the remarks the above users posted, this is the story....

THE PAST:
2005-2006 was a long time ago. NST was a very young and struggling company at the time and was in the infancy stage. A young company trying to sustain growth with little to no capital and little to no assistance from anyone else. The 180kit was and continues to be one of our most expensive kits for us to build... 3 pulleys and a belt in each kit. Sometimes production cycles went much slower than we would like, sometimes belts were on backorder, etc.

Unfortunately these, along with other reasons, made availability of this kit poor at times and led to a few unhappy customers. Even with a few troubles here and there, 90% of our customers were very pleased with our service, product quality, and price.

Every business makes a few mistakes from time to time. Please accept my apologies if you were one of the few who had a bad experience with us in the past.

THE PRESENT:
2008. We continue to be the only pulley company building kits for the 4AGZE and will do so as long as we have your support. I have personally done a few things to make the customer experience more satisfactory.

The ordering process has been streamlined and communication has improved greatly. I am personally available for all of you now on these forums via PM or posting in threads. Threads such as this one are here to take your feedback and consider ways in which we can improve the overall experience. I answer many of our website Emails personally, and I am on AOL Instant Messenger at the screen name NSTonAIM on a daily basis. I can not think of many other presidents who are as accessable to their customers.

The production cycle has also been streamlined a bit further to keep these kits in stock much more often. This has led to more kits in stock, more often.

Shipping is done via USPS Priority Mail so that packages reach customers within two to three business days in most cases.

THE FUTURE:
2008+. We would love to be part of the 4AG community for years to come, and will be here as long as you guys continue to support our brand. We will work to add more capital so that new production and new R&D can proceed more quickly. I will work very hard to keep all our products in stock as often as possible to make sure you can purchase a kit when you need one.

Availability, color options, etc will be listed on our website clearly for all to see. Please feel free to look for me on AIM, send an Email, or a PM if you would like to double check availability before placing your order.

Many thanks to those of you who have supported our brand and our products over the past few years, I certainly do appreciate it. I hope we can continue to bring great products at unheard of prices to your community well into the future.

Thanks again, good luck and have fun with all your projects!

NonStopTuning

1781 posts [100%]

Re: Re: (NonStopTuning) » Reply  Edit

Please continue to post your comments everyone. I know many many of you have had great experiences with us and I would love to hear from some of you.

89yotarollagts

1437 posts [71%]
Minnesota

» Reply  Edit

dr.occa

2382 posts [93%]
The Lonestar State

» Reply  Edit

Noone can say that Club4AG members aren't FORWARD

It seems the main complaint (so far) is customer service communications with NST. I have to agree with what was pointed out, "How many company CFO, CEOs, Presidents" make themselves readily available to customers via IM" like NST does. From my own experience, that's been the only way i've ever gotten in touch with them and have always received a timely response.

86 Garage Magazine
"Strictly All Things 86"
89yotarollagts

1437 posts [71%]
Minnesota

» Reply  Edit

might have to change to diff video player to hear sound but this is a stock video
Before
1st gear dump Ae101 4agze ae92
&
After with the NST 180 pulley kit
lightly Modded,Ae101 4agze, Header,exhaust,Cold air,FMIC & NST Crank pulley !!
b.

1988 posts [100%]
SEATTLE/AUBURN WA

» Reply  Edit

I've commented about this kit in the past. It's still fine and I've no problems with it. On the customer service note, I think NST is just in a natural progression from a hobby to to a full fledged business. My impressions were that the product surpassed the operation, in that it was difficult to gauge the acceptance of a GZE pulley kit. I mean really, GZE's are on the path of the dinosaurs in terms of availability! I remember inquiring about the kit with Mike a while ago, thinking it was more of a "special order" deal with limited production. But since it's such a badass and exclusive kit in terms of size, I think I can forgive him in dealing with his production/customer service woes. It was one a risk that Mike took since he's a 4AG enthusiast himself. Sometimes I wish his kit wasn't that succesful so people won't complain about production lead times. LOL. I think 2008 will be just fine for NST in terms of product and customer service. For a company that's this young, I'll give them credit for taking a lessons-learned approach and still keeping it at a grassroots level.

1437 posts [71%]
Minnesota

» Reply  Edit

"Well After I sold a nevo to Pog's ( didnt realise this) but he found mine was slightly cracked at the keyway
he checked the one on his car and found alot larger cracks and also found they are not harmonicly ballanced
I went to a wrecker today to find a cusco 175 which has a harmonicly ballanced centre..
cusco are no longer in production of this part for one, but the big issue is that 2 of the managers friends had nevo pulleys and have had BIG probs... one of them being it chewed the crap out of the bearings and the thrust washers which keep the end float steady makn the crank to be able rock side to side but the biggest shock his other mate had the same problem and he went to get his crank checked out with a laser and it was bent on cyl 1 & 2!!! and he only checked this on curiosity cos of the pulley "

Just outta curiousity & because id hate to see my motor go to sh*t but there has been alot of talk about Crank issues due to pulley's that arent harmonically balanced ? i pulled that quote from a diff site regarding Nevo pulley's.... is there any light you can shine on the NST pulley to put my mind at ease for the thoughts ive been having about the same issues... (whats the correct torque for the Crank bolt too ?)

NonStopTuning

1781 posts [100%]

Re: (89yotarollagts) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by 89yotarollagts »

is there any light you can shine on the NST pulley to put my mind at ease for the thoughts ive been having about the same issues...

I am asked such questions on a daily basis and frankly, it is somewhat of a slap in the face... But I don't mind, I understand that your cars are a very large investment for all of you and I prefer that you be intelligent and informed about all your modifications. So here we go again... Please take a few minutes to read everything I have posted here, as I worked hard on trying to give you a good explanation on the topic...

In the past many engines were externally balanced. There was an external balancer attached to the outside of the engine, on the crank snout, used to balance the engine externally. The crank pulley in such engines would then be attached to this balancer. Removal of this balancer is a bad idea. These balancers were most often used on large (6 to 8) V shaped engines of the domestic muscle car era.

Take a look at any modern (1980s and beyond) Honda, Toyota, Nissan, or other japanese inline 4 and you will find no such balancer. These engines are all internally balanced, and this process has improved even further since the late 1980s. So the topic of a BALANCER does not apply here.

What you will find on modern engines is a harmonic damper. This is a small rubber band, litterally less than 2mm, less than 1/8th of an inch, thick that is built into the crank pulley. OEM crank pulleys are often called DAMPERS. Try placing an order for a crank pulley at your dealer and your invoice will read damper. This rubber is used to absorb something called NVH, noise/vibration/harshness. Suffice it to say, this rubber is actually not very good at performing its intended purpose after as little as a few thousand miles. What happens to rubber after a couple years of humidity, weather, snow, rain, etc? It often becomes brittle, hard, and crunchy. Can something with these properties actually absorb noise or vibrations very well?

Many many NST customers, including people on your own forums, have reported smoother running engines with NST pulleys. Especially at idle. How is this possible if the rubber is such a vital and super important piece??? Perhaps the rubber is not as important as it is cracked up to be???

Furthermore....

On the topic of the rubber damper, engine vibrations, or possible threats resulting from elimination of this rubber piece...

On a relatively understressed near stock motor with bolt ons or low amounts of boost like what most of the people on this forum probably run, a solid pulley will not have any life threatening consiquences. The factory pulley with a 2mm (less than a 1/8th inch) damper is primarily there for wide band NVH (noise vibration harshness) supression from the engine and driveline. Removing the damper and replacing it with a solid pulley may lead to minor addtional noise but will not harm the engine. In fact, most people claim their engines seem to run smoother with NST pulleys.

The engineering reasons are that most modern engines have a short, strong crank with, a relatively high natural frequency. The dangerous second harmonic that can cause damage occurs at an rpm that this sort of engine will never see, in the area above 10,000 rpm. Even the stock damper is not tuned for attinuation at this sort of rpm so the argument is somewhat of a moot point.

Now small engines that are pushing the limit with lots of revs, wimpy cranks, super long strokes, lots of boost and dwelling in the upper rpm ranges for long periods of time can benefit from a damper designed to deal with this sort of operation but our engine is not like this, and probably very few people with this motor on this forum push the envelope that hard. How many 1.6 Liter, 450HP, 11000RPM motors do we have on these forums?

As far as I can tell, our engine has a strong and stiff bottom end that is well built for our intended use. It has an internaly balanced crankshaft which is less like to break due to torsional vibration.

There are a lot of guys who use underdrive crank pulleys in road racing series like NASA or SCCA. Road racing is much more punishing on an engine than other motorsports. The engine is subjected to run times lasting 23 to 45 minutes with the engine always in the upper ranges of its rpm limit. One race weekend is the equivlent of hundreds of 1/4 mile passes.

NST sponsors the first ever wheel to wheel Scion tC NASA Road Race car backed by Toyota and TRD engine builders. This car has been using underdrive pulleys from NST with great results since day one.

NST also sponsors several drift cars participating in different levels of the professional US drift series, Fromula Drift. These cars have been using NST pulleys with no issues of any kind for the past few seasons.

We could go on and on...

Is a solid crank pulley harmless to all engines? No it is not. Small, super high reving engines, very high HP engines, when modified way past the simple bolt on stages may have problems. These engines reach critcal harmonics, past the 10,000 rpm range, an rpm often reached by certain race engines.

A mildly modded inline six will most likely be fine but one subjected to high rpm for long periods of time (90% of its life) with lots of boost will probably suffer. In this case , the stock balancer/damper is probably not adequate either.

Some of the older american V8 engines are externaly balanced and it is critical not to use a solid hub pulley not designed for these applications, or damage to the engine could result.

Our engines and most around here do not fall into the above catagories. Rest assured that your engines will not blow up and die or have a reduced life in street and even racing use with these parts.

I would bet that every "expert" that tells you otherwise has little personal, practical, real world experience with the subject.

Again, I understand that your cars are a very large investment and that you depend on them as your daily means of transportation, so I do not take your questions personally. If I have to post this info once a month I will continue to do so. I do not take pride in building junk. No NST product is junk. No NST product is designed to cause you any harm or grief. I am not in business to sell junk. PERIOD.

Crownvicman289

1984 posts [58%]
Colorado Springs CO

» Reply  Edit

What about the torque spec on that pulley? That's what broke my first one, improper torque. The factory steel one, according to info pulled from ae92gts.com (which he pulls from the FSM), is 101 ft/lb. I torqued my aluminum one to 65ft/lb which is far more than it was but I'd like a little peace of mind on this.
NonStopTuning

1781 posts [100%]

Re: (NonStopTuning) » Reply  Edit

The above are high reving cars I have personally witnessed runing NST Pulleys...
n/a, turbo, and supercharged setups over the past several years.
I have NOT seen any crank failure in these cars...

Crownvicman289

1984 posts [58%]
Colorado Springs CO

» Reply  Edit

Crank pulley torque?
NonStopTuning

1781 posts [100%]

Quote, originally posted by Crownvicman289 »
What about the torque spec on that pulley? That's what broke my first one, improper torque. The factory steel one, according to info pulled from ae92gts.com (which he pulls from the FSM), is 101 ft/lb. I torqued my aluminum one to 65ft/lb which is far more than it was but I'd like a little peace of mind on this.

I would suggest torquing down to about 110 ft/lb.
Crank pulley bolts, and crank keys, are also considered wear and tear items.
Such pieces should be replaced when a new crank pulley is installed,
especially on a 20 year old engine/car.

Crownvicman289

1984 posts [58%]
Colorado Springs CO

» Reply  Edit

So the aluminum crank pulley is OK with being compressed down that far?
NonStopTuning

1781 posts [100%]

Quote, originally posted by Crownvicman289 »
So the aluminum crank pulley is OK with being compressed down that far?

Correct. A new NST crank pulley, a new OEM crank bolt, and a new OEM crank key should last for years if properly installed.

89yotarollagts

1437 posts [71%]
Minnesota

» Reply  Edit

great Thanks again for taking the time to Answer my questions in detail
Mitsu

15 posts [100%]
Charleston SC

» Reply  Edit

I got the NST 180 pulley for christmas, and am happy with it. My only issue is the water pump pulley doesnt work for my car. I have a JDM AE92 GZE and probably have a different water pump that USDM MR2. Do you have a deeper pulley for this water pump?
Crownvicman289

1984 posts [58%]
Colorado Springs CO

» Reply  Edit

Make sure you don't have a bunch of rust on the water pump hub, it's a tight fit. It fit my JDM AE101 pump and it fits my new USDM MR2 water pump that I just installed when I rebuilt the engine.
ck1uzfeae86

100 posts [100%]
Alexandria KY

Fit my ae101 map gze with no problems also.
Mitsu

15 posts [100%]
Charleston SC

Re: (ck1uzfeae86) » Reply  Edit

It all the way against the pulley, my stock pulley is much deeper than the NST...like my water pump is longer...by like half and inch or so
Mitsu

15 posts [100%]
Charleston SC

» Reply  Edit

i just talked to nst, sounds like i have a RWD water pump on my gze...probably just gonna get a mr2 water pump

SUPADAVE

82 posts [100%]
ft.lauderdale fl

» Reply  Edit

does NST pulley set require a ECU upgrade?
Crownvicman289

1984 posts [58%]
Colorado Springs CO

» Reply  Edit

Nope.
styku

30 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

Hello

I am new but in fact I would never try to do an engine swap on my e11 Corolla without club4ag and other forums. So I really know guys from here.
Now it has 4agze with fmic and bigger pulley.

I tried to get in touch with NST many times. No answer.

I would like to ask about SC12 pulley. You say that it is only for track racing, not for everyday car. Why? It does not have a clutch in it?
What if we connent 160mm crank pulley with this smal SC pulley?

Thanks for reply.

NonStopTuning

1781 posts [100%]

Re: (styku) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by styku »

I would like to ask about SC12 pulley. You say that it is only for track racing, not for everyday car. Why? It does not have a clutch in it?
What if we connent 160mm crank pulley with this smal SC pulley?

Thanks for reply.

Our 102mm SC12 Pulley is a great item and many people have been using this pulley over the past couple years.

However, we do not recommend the use of BOTH the 180mm Crank Kit ALONG WITH our 102mm SC12 Pulley in a DAILY DRIVEN application. This is what our website says.

The reasons are quite obvious... The SC12 runs roughly 8 to 10 psi in stock form. The combination of our 180 Kit and our SC12 Pulley would move this up to about 16+ PSI, which would probably create too much heat in the SC for a daily driven application.

Most of our customers use our 180 Crank Kit for several reasons. Installation of the crank kit is much easier than the SC12 Pulley, does not require the removal of the SC unit itself, and it provides more of an increase than the SC12 Pulley, and is usually an in stock item.

Please feel free to look for me on AOL Instant Messenger at the screen name " NSTonAIM " should you have any further questions.

Thanks again, good luck and have fun with your projects!

NonStopTuning

1781 posts [100%]

Re: (NonStopTuning) » Reply  Edit

Looks like several of you have placed orders for our 180mm Crank Kit over the past week or so. Many thanks for your support everyone, and please list your thoughts and comments here once your receive your kits, I would appreciate it.

uniqueTRUENO

1031 posts [99%]
San Antonio TX

» Reply  Edit

How much PSI would we be running with your 180mm crank pulley kit ? Others are stock
 First  1 2 3 >  Last

» Return to Engine - 4A-GZE, and Supercharger/Turbocharger Projects