Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 1JZ corolla coupe with IRS- 56k... hehFirst  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last
Author Post
powerline

2 posts [100%]
omaha ne

Re: (86lock) » Reply  Edit

this is the most recent pic i could find at a drift event.

last i heard it's running strong...

Modified by powerline at 12:06 PM 11/19/2008

Originally Posted by E Fanatic
what about a 235-35-19 on a 19x10 wheel? is this too much?

That's too little. I want my tires as dangerous as possible, because chicks dig danger. ( quote )

AE86STALKER

223 posts [95%]
Indianapolis/Portales IN/NM

» Reply  Edit

I want to see more, lol, thats cool
turbosr20ae86

307 posts [89%]
559 ca

» Reply  Edit

dam that is one hella of sick build
ghetto but **** that tight something you dont see everyday
ghstrg78

245 posts [99%]
phillly pa

Re: (powerline) » Reply  Edit

good job.. u guys were jerks and now hes not going to finish posting the build.
racepar1

42 posts [99%]
reseda ca

» Reply  Edit

That is some of the sloppiest, least thought through fabrication that I have ever seen. The materials used look like they were originally intended to make gates or something. The welding is marginal at best. The design is pathetic. There was obviously no consideration for suspension geometry. The rear subframe sits waaaayyyyyyy too low in the car, which means the rear roll center and the roll axis are SCREWED. The steering rack mounts are not only dangerous, but just plain stupid. Those straps are mild steel! Mild steel of that thickness is not nearly strong enough for that application, and the subframe looks to be held in with the same stuff! GREAT idea at least though. That would be insane sick with some quality fabrication.

FUNCTION > FORM...........ALWAYS!!!
krammitthefrog

2075 posts [79%]
Santa Barbara CA

Re: (ghstrg78) » Reply  Edit

seriously, do some research before you call us jerks. i tried to discourage the sloppy fabrication not only for this guy's safety but everyone else on the road. go ahead, call people on here who have built some REAL cars jerks because they tell someone that what they are doing is creating a ticking time bomb. there is no way this car will last if the problems we all saw in the fabrication were not addressed. rather than saying sick build and just swinging from this guys nuts, do what everyone else here tried to do and either give constructive criticism or tell this guy what he's doing is dangerous. once i see pics of the engine/trans mounts, suspension, and steering rack brackets, i'll believe its worthy. until then all i have to go by is what was stated in the post above mine.

http://www.machine-ep.com ; socal standalone ecu dealer/installer (only licensed autronic dealer in california) :thumbup:

<3 stock bleutops
http://www.hardparking.org - anyone come check it out! :thumbup:

seymour86

1500 posts [99%]
Canyon Country CA

» Reply  Edit

Pretty cool plates, "1J ROLA"

And thats all I'm going to say.

rseymour86@gmail.com

Short Stroke conversions http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=111245

racepar1

42 posts [99%]
reseda ca

» Reply  Edit

Wanna see some REAL fabrication? Check these two threads:

First off the fabrication thread from zilvia, some sick stuff here!
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/....html

And second the DSG 240RS maxi updates thread. My 240 wants to be this car when it grows up.
http://zilvia.net/f/chat/19078....html

Now THAT is what REAL fabrication looks like!

ramblux

4032 posts [98%]
Hollister CA

» Reply  Edit

Is the OP still alive?
Coiloverkid

952 posts [97%]

Re: (ramblux) » Reply  Edit

this is the most ... um .. frightening displays of 'fabrication'
i have ever seen...

"danger danger america speed!!" - japanese guy
"Dude. John, you have the most JDM hair out of anyone I know." - Vaughn Gittin, JR
=- D.A. Burrito hit-squad 2005-=
*Haruguchi hair club*
DoriZ31

432 posts [100%]

Re: (Coiloverkid) » Reply  Edit

I hope you close off that big hole in the trunk before you put the car up on the pole. When you make these things, you want to make sure birds and other critters can't get up in there. They will make noise and a huge mess with their excrement and drive customers away instead of invite them to your junkyard.

Seems like you did a good job of securing the unique suspension to keep it from falling out of the car while it's up there. I would have never thought to try the Rat Fink look on an AE86. It looks swell!

I do think putting a 1JZ in it was excessive (and expensive) for a car sign. Most of the ones I've seen don't even have an engine.

ghstrg78

245 posts [99%]
phillly pa

Re: (krammitthefrog) » Reply  Edit

for starters friend im pretty knowledgeable with corollas, seeing as me and my brother just finished a 20v swap with a supra rear end and a nearly full suspension. Second i never encouraged it, in fact i think running an exhaust next to a fuel cell is completely insane... That being said i think people could have held off bashing his fabrication until the car was done, he got **** on from the very beginning. I dunno how many builds you have been a part of but with something as extensive as putting a jz in an 86 its trial an error, so welds that can be easily removed make sense. Also whether they do a good job or not, thats an insane pretty dam cool build.
racepar1

42 posts [99%]
reseda ca

If he was just test fitting the engine and subframe then fine, but that was CLEARLY not just test fitting. You are right, projects like that are complicated, but that is why you should take your sweet time and do EVERYTHING right the first time. On top of that a little engineering of the suspension would be nice. That subframe was CLEARLY mounted too low which screws up the rear roll center and the roll axis dramatically. The car certainly handled far worse than it would have should he have just stuck with a solid rear axle and located whatever axle he decided to use properly. It was a good concept and could have been really sweet. Waaayyyyyy overkill, but sweet. Unfortuanetly he decided to half-ass it and the car was miserably lame because of it. I don't think people being all warm and cuddly and not saying anything would have been a good idea. It would possibly have encouraged other morons to go out and hack-up/half ass other cars.

krammitthefrog

2075 posts [79%]
Santa Barbara CA

an "insane pretty dam cool build". sweeping ish under the carpet and making a car that endangers innocent people on the road is definately cool. i don't even consider this a build, its getting a bunch of random crap and throwing it together with no thought as to what each component will do with another. and yeah, encouraging him to do a makeshift job then say he did it wrong when he is done is a GREAT idea. then he'll wonder why he's all of a sudden getting ripped on. you think a 20v swap in a corolla is hard? did you rewire the harnesses yourself? did you tune the car? and seriously you think doing "full suspension" is considered a build. please, go do something where you have to fabricate your own mounts with consideration of engine placement and then talk. i may not have done any custom engine swaps but at age 17 i completed a gts swap entirely by myself, with no prior experience to that sort of thing, traced bad wiring and delt with problems that should be associated with anything that extensive. i'm not going to say im a guru, as i have no access to a welder, specialty tools, a lift, any shop space at all to do anything extensive, not to mention i have to drive my car everyday as its all i can afford. that being said, i do know dangerous and lazy when i see it, and this build reeks of it.

if you wanna see me do a build, get me my degree from college so i dont have to go to school, and give me a job that pays more than minimum wage 25 hours a week. if i had the time or the funds i can guarantee i'd do a few things differently than this guy.

http://www.machine-ep.com ; socal standalone ecu dealer/installer (only licensed autronic dealer in california) :thumbup:

<3 stock bleutops

domi
mod

1129 posts [100%]
St. Ann MO

Quote, originally posted by ghstrg78 »
for starters friend im pretty knowledgeable with corollas, seeing as me and my brother just finished a 20v swap with a supra rear end and a nearly full suspension. Second i never encouraged it, in fact i think running an exhaust next to a fuel cell is completely insane... That being said i think people could have held off bashing his fabrication until the car was done, he got **** on from the very beginning. I dunno how many builds you have been a part of but with something as extensive as putting a jz in an 86 its trial an error, so welds that can be easily removed make sense. Also whether they do a good job or not, thats an insane pretty dam cool build.

Let's not get into the amount of fabrication/build pedigree a 20V swap grants you, as pretty much everyone that has average control of all four extremities can safely pull one off.
My issue with your post is this - may the project be whatever it is, why would you DEMAND specific treatment on a forum? It was posted here, so the builder can hear feedback, so he did. If he doesn't like it - he shouldn't have posted. If it no longer serves its purpose - as a mod, and we'll delete it for you, and no more negative feedback will be had.
If you don't like the public opinion of a car - don't post it on a public forum, it tends to gather the opinion of the public, yes?

GeneralPostingPolicy:
...if it sounds sarcastic - don't take seriously,
if it sounds dangerous - do not try this at home, or at all...
and if it offends you - just don't listen to it!
ghstrg78

245 posts [99%]
phillly pa

Re: (domi) » Reply  Edit

omg did you really do a gts swap when you were 17! Thats intense. And friend i strated my project at the same age so do not feel too special. I just wanna see the end of the build, because maybe, for some crazy reason, he might have changed something, or moved something, we dont know. And dont go on about criticism, because he did not get criticism he got bashed, and public forums are a place to learn and exchange information, not for 25 year old jerkoffs to rip on people.
doridori-rx7

218 posts [99%]
Barrie ON

» Reply  Edit

this build gets the 'Ghetto Fabulous - and you will be dead soon ' award..

------------------------------------
87' GT-S redtop -TRD & TODA equipped
02' GGAA (WRX wagon) stage 3

-
Honour above all else.

supra240z

171 posts [100%]
Portland Or

Re: (doridori-rx7) » Reply  Edit

i agree im scared for you and others around you on this Project.
Biohazard989

210 posts [100%]
Greeley CO

» Reply  Edit

my god... that is by far the most ghetto rigged over quickly done car ive ever seen. lemme guess the picture of it off the side of the track. something broke.
this is why corollas are becoming less and less seen. people think they are just throw away cars...

1986 GTS blacktop 20v Hatch - Traded for rustless Coupe
1985 GTS coupe - current car
1985 GTS coupe - soon daily driver
KumaXL

1454 posts [86%]
Graveyard in SoCal

» Reply  Edit

Anyone ever see Junkyard Wars?

"Obstacles exist only to be broken" - A very misguided man.
zeroyon223

26 posts [99%]
Rotorua NZ

» Reply  Edit

Haha what a laugh, this is so rough, reallly ***** execution, but cool concept.
Id love to see how it drives
faiziwest

4 posts [100%]
west side

» Reply  Edit

insane build.!
300ZXTC

197 posts [95%]
oak harbor/new bern/VABA WANCVA

» Reply  Edit

damm.. everyone is nag nag nag about safety this and that on the road...

i could have sworn .. didnt he say this was going to be a TRACK car only? that he couldnt title it?

-_- wheres the updates?!

Ace123

506 posts [94%]

» Reply  Edit

Its mostly jealousy.
Biohazard989

210 posts [100%]
Greeley CO

» Reply  Edit

well that last pic shows it has plates so.... he got it titled. why would someone waste money on plates if it got trailered to events eh....

1986 GTS blacktop 20v Hatch - Traded for rustless Coupe
1985 GTS coupe - current car
1985 GTS coupe - soon daily driver
GTSRolla34

1380 posts [100%]
San Antonio TX

Quote, originally posted by ghstrg78 »
maybe, for some crazy reason, he might have changed something, or moved something, we dont know. And dont go on about criticism, because he did not get criticism he got bashed, and public forums are a place to learn and exchange information, not for 25 year old jerkoffs to rip on people.

Well you can email him, even though I highly doubt he moved anything from the looks of the last pic. The exhaust is still right next to the fuel cell. The rear subframe was welded in pretty thoroughly. The images he's posted seem to be his final install. Any test fitting was probably not photographed.

You are right though...this is a public forum, but you're also wrong about the nature of the comments. With luck, individuals reading the posts will learn and become informed as to what not to do. It is not a requirement to offer up "ONLY" polite remarks when criticizing and commenting on projects. Any comment can be informative and is and exchange of information.

Quit getting upset. The overall feeling on this build is that it was dangerous...if not for others, then for the driver of the vehicle. People are entitled to their opinion so don't get bent out of shape when an opinion is brought to a public forum. If they are out of line, I'm sure a mod will promptly remove it.

bonvo

2 posts [100%]
vacaville ca

» Reply  Edit

this is a cool build idea alot of potential people are talking about the safety end of it and i agree from what ive seen there are a few things that concern me here is some constructive critisisom

route exhaust out the right side of car below the body in front of right rear wheel this way its out of the way and no longer in the car

weld the strut towers in the back to some good size plate then to the floor board and make backing plates on the lower side out of tubing then tie it into the thicker sheetmetal that is considered the subframe

the irs sub frame appears to be welded to the stock frame section use thicker plate and gussets ad this to what is there to that section to make it stronger and foolproof

ditch the welded diff and get a real lsd unit

weld the roll cage in with backing plates dont just bolt it in

the wheel well cuts should be smothed and then rolled so as to avoid slicing the tires

i saw these things and figured instead of just saying it looked unsafe i would offer som sugestions for a stronger build

good luck with the build and your recovery keep us informed and stay safe

edit:please forgive my typos i have a broken wrist and typing one handed sucks

Modified by bonvo at 8:26 PM 1/21/2009

supra240z

171 posts [100%]
Portland Or

Re: (300ZXTC) » Reply  Edit

ITS MORE IMPORTANT TO BE SAFER ON THE TRACK!!!!!!! why would you think you can just skimp on safety at the Track? why would there be a need for a Cage? seat harness?
if that were the case then why does SCCA have a rule book for Safety?

Quote, originally posted by 300ZXTC »
damm.. everyone is nag nag nag about safety this and that on the road...

i could have sworn .. didnt he say this was going to be a TRACK car only? that he couldnt title it?

-_- wheres the updates?!

krammitthefrog

2075 posts [79%]
Santa Barbara CA

Re: (supra240z) » Reply  Edit

people don't even get tech inspection on the street, at least they do on the track (sometimes).

<3 stock bleutops

Ace123

506 posts [94%]

» Reply  Edit

Obviously the based on the picture of the vehicle Currently Attending a sanctioned track event where there would be intense scrutiny by Tech inspectors, the vehicle is On the track and HAS passed tech inspection at some point.
So maybe you should all quit the belly aching and shut up about how unsafe his build log looked before the friggin car was even finished. How bout them apples lol.
 First  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs