Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 ae86 injen short ram intakeFirst  1 2 3 >  Last
Author Post
jjdye1

53 posts [100%]
around ca

ae86 injen short ram intake Reply  Edit

is the ae86 injen short ram intake have a carb EO# or in other words street legal/carb exempt??? like the K&N intake!!!

orangekid

3249 posts [87%]
please, no pictures...

» Reply  Edit

nope, "carb pending" forever most likely...
oni.dori

327 posts [100%]
Oxnard/Port Hueneme California

Re: (orangekid) » Reply  Edit

are there any other CARB legal intakes out there for the 4A-GE? and what are the comparisons between them?
blaster834

335 posts [85%]
Minnesota

» Reply  Edit

i laugh that you guys have to worrie about such peddy stuff.
orangekid

3249 posts [87%]
please, no pictures...

Re: (oni.dori) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by oni.dori »
are there any other CARB legal intakes out there for the 4A-GE? and what are the comparisons between them?

i don't believe there are any carb legal modifications for 4age engines except the k&n thing...and yes, things like this are quite petty...

chohdog

3965 posts [100%]
Long Beach CA

Re: (blaster834) » Reply  Edit

Its a trade. We deal with CARB stuff, you have to live in Minnesota.
VitriumGTS

4730 posts [96%]
San Jose/San Diego CA

Re: (chohdog) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by chohdog »

LOL

My RHDJapan.com receipt said: "Your order # is: 100001986". The AE86 gods really are looking out for me.
nlt4ac

526 posts [99%]
Kingsland GA

Re: (VitriumGTS) » Reply  Edit

funny

I before E except after C
....weird rule I think.

Will pay $$$ for a hard copy of Project Car #15 in good condition text 912-Two27 Two365
-Sean

oni.dori

327 posts [100%]

hahahahahaha boo-ya!

jjdye1

53 posts [100%]
around ca

» Reply  Edit

yea well if u overhaul ur engine the cops wouldnt noe if ur running on a new overhauled engine...rite? yea its kinda gay that the injen short ram intake is carb pending!!! oh well guess ill be sticking to the K&N intake!!! does anyone noe how much horsepower it gains???
born87drive87

90 posts [99%]
Sacramento CA

Re: (jjdye1) » Reply  Edit

most likely 5-10hp, might say on their website

Shan's Specialty Towing
(916) 879-0200
zenkigts

558 posts [86%]
East Bay ca

» Reply  Edit

haha... oh well cali got soo much **** its ridiculous but its good.... still lovin it

http://www.MotoskinLLC.com
Providing the Greater Bay Area with clear bra, wheel repair and car vinyl wrapping services
oni.dori

327 posts [100%]

Quote, originally posted by jjdye1 »
yea well if u overhaul ur engine the cops wouldnt noe if ur running on a new overhauled engine...rite? yea its kinda gay that the injen short ram intake is carb pending!!! oh well guess ill be sticking to the K&N intake!!! does anyone noe how much horsepower it gains???

thats true they wont be able to see the internals of your engine if you build them. however, if you are looking to keep it street legal, the next time you smog it, the testing equipment will more than likely be able to detect the difference in the engine and its emissions, timing, and performance. so, unless you somehow magically are able to keep it within legal limits, you will automatically fail the test and it will no longer be "legal". that is, unless you just meant a OEM spec rebuild, and not a performance build. then, yes, it will be fine.

jjdye1

53 posts [100%]
around ca

» Reply  Edit

well does any brand actually have "smog legal" camshafts that still give u performance.??
F0Bman

1146 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

Just for a custom one and swap out when you need to smog.

Fully Restored 1985 Corolla GT-S
1987 328ci SR20DET Drift Car
1989 Honda Civic Si-R Current Project
2002 Corolla CE Daily Driver

http://www.TheTunerSource.com

jjdye1

53 posts [100%]
around ca

Re: (F0Bman) » Reply  Edit

not even hks can work!???
oni.dori

327 posts [100%]

as far as i know, there is no company anywhere that makes a smog legal (at least in california) aftermarket camshaft made for any car after 1975.
yes, there is the option of swapping out cams every time you have to smog it, but that is a pain in the @r$e, and also if you have flashed your ECU to get max performance out of your cam, you will have to re-flash it back to OEM specs or the engine will probably run like poop.
chohdog

3965 posts [100%]
Long Beach CA

I don't think you fully understand what's going on here.

Camshafts change the amount of time and distance that the valves open and close for the purpose of combustion. This in turn modifies the factory selection of opening and closing for the sake of performance, which usually means increased emissions. Some people might say that "these cams pass smog" because of the mild alterations they make to said factory specs. In turn, there's the possibility that they may pass the emissions tester, as a visual inspection is impossible since the tech can't see what's inside the engine. This is the way people pass smog with cams (for a 4AG, that's generally a 256 and possibly a 264 cam setup with mild lift).

No other cam exists in the world other than Skunk2's B-series cams that actually carries CARB certification. It seems redundant, but what it does is sell cams to people who don't have an understanding of why or why cams don't pass emissions. The CARB certification on their cams baisically says, in layman's terms, "these cams can pass smog". They paid to have this advertising advantage, when in reality many of the other cam manufacturers will have camshafts that will probably pass emissions testing.

oni.dori

327 posts [100%]

No other cam exists in the world other than Skunk2's B-series cams that actually carries CARB certification. It seems redundant, but what it does is sell cams to people who don't have an understanding of why or why cams don't pass emissions. The CARB certification on their cams baisically says, in layman's terms, "these cams can pass smog". They paid to have this advertising advantage, when in reality many of the other cam manufacturers will have camshafts that will probably pass emissions testing.

oh really? i didnt even know they had cert for CARB EO approval. i take it you arent a huge fan of skunk 2 and/or the B-series cams.

chohdog

3965 posts [100%]
Long Beach CA

On the contrary, I think Skunk2 is almost the equivalent here to HKS in Japan. They make extremely high quality parts with tons of R&D. They have cars that have proven time and time again that Skunk2 parts make you go fast, period. There are legends of the import tuning scene on staff, including but not limited to Dr. Charles and Tony Shagday. If anything, its a shame they don't make AE86 parts. I actually applied and got a job there but turned it down for where I work now.

I'm just saying that having to jump through the CARB hoops just to sell a part, sucks.

Oh, and I also believe that in almost every way, the Honda B-series engine is one of the greatest things to happen for automobiles. Why then did I go AE86 you ask? Well nothing B series is rear wheel drive.

VitriumGTS

4730 posts [96%]
San Jose/San Diego CA

» Reply  Edit

I got a story for you about CARB how big of a joke it is....I once smogged a 5.0L fox body mustang.

the customer drove it up and I heard the distinct chub chub chub of an engine that most definitely had been modified.

i'm not a hardass when it comes to smogging. I dont give a damn if you swap out the internals or make the muffler loud. I only care if you got some ghetto home made intake or try to pull a fast one over me by removing stuff like EGR or evap canister. So long as things check out visually and are present where they are supposed to be, i'll smog it. How am I gonna know if you got cams or not.....open up the engine?

So the mustang guy was honest with me and said the engine was modified and I told him if theres anything else I should know. He also told me he changed out the final gear to something shorter.

I was in for a surprise. I was test running it on the dyno and the damn thing SURGED at part throttle, making it REALLY diffificult to get into that 15mph @ under 3K rpm limit. I only had a small window to keep the computer happy and after the 2nd attempt, I asked if I can yank the ebrake a few clicks to slow down the driven wheels to get it within that rpm window. He said it was alright.

I was finally able to get it within that rpm limit and 30 seconds passed when it switched to the 25mph test, which passed in 25 seconds.

Opened up the hood to see that awesome 5.0L engine I'm familar with and saw all the emissions equipment and solenoids. Everything looked good and there weren't any after market parts visible, but it WAS modified.

The results came in and the freaking engine STILL blew zeros, almost on par with modern cars limits.

If that gentleman was able to modify his engine and tune it to pass smog, whats keeping the rest of us from doing the same? How are smog techs supposed to tell the difference? According to the current laws, only carb certified parts are allowed. ??? man

i just finished smogging a v8 that passes smog perfectly and because some guy in a suit in sacramento tells me that if an engine is modified and does not have a sticker for that part, I have to either FAIL an otherwise uber clean car or refuse to smog it.

Also in the books, a disconnected vacuum hose is fails immediately. Of course, it doesn't say which....

My RHDJapan.com receipt said: "Your order # is: 100001986". The AE86 gods really are looking out for me.
oni.dori

327 posts [100%]

On the contrary, I think Skunk2 is almost the equivalent here to HKS in Japan. They make extremely high quality parts with tons of R&D. They have cars that have proven time and time again that Skunk2 parts make you go fast, period. There are legends of the import tuning scene on staff, including but not limited to Dr. Charles and Tony Shagday. If anything, its a shame they don't make AE86 parts. I actually applied and got a job there but turned it down for where I work now.

I'm just saying that having to jump through the CARB hoops just to sell a part, sucks.

Oh, and I also believe that in almost every way, the Honda B-series engine is one of the greatest things to happen for automobiles. Why then did I go AE86 you ask? Well nothing B series is rear wheel drive.

so then, cam-wise, do you have any suggestions for a 4A-GE (ie. manufacturer, and preferrably in a cam size that possibly could pass smog)?
on the CARB part, i definitely feel you there. here where i work, we are starting to have to jump through all of their hoops as well. its a nightmare wrapped in a horror story, with an astronomical price tag thrown on for near impossibility.
oni.dori

327 posts [100%]

Re: (VitriumGTS) » Reply  Edit

oh really, you do smogs?
Flowisode_Zero

2784 posts [99%]
Glendale AZ

» Reply  Edit

I dont know about Cali but here in AZ its easy as hell to pass smog. They dont care whats in your engine bay as long as the emissions equipment is there and you blow clean numbers. Sometimes they dont even care about the emissions parts. I had a friend put down 640AWHP on his first gen eclipse and he passed with flying colors and had his new tags that day. He did have the person that tuned that car do a second tune that was a little more conservative and safe for passing smog but still over 550AWHP.

Why do noobs call their hatch a HATCHI, but no one calls their coupe a COUCHI?
oni.dori

327 posts [100%]

Re: (Flowisode_Zero) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Flowisode_Zero »
I dont know about Cali but here in AZ its easy as hell to pass smog.

california has some of (if not THE) strictest emissions laws in the world.
Flowisode_Zero

2784 posts [99%]
Glendale AZ

» Reply  Edit

Damn right, and with the high cost of living I refuse to live there. I got offered a job making about $40k starting, in San Diego and I just laughed at the guy

oni.dori

327 posts [100%]

Re: (Flowisode_Zero) » Reply  Edit

yep, i make about that right now, and it doesnt go as far as people think it does.
Flowisode_Zero

2784 posts [99%]
Glendale AZ

» Reply  Edit

Yeah a lot of people have no idea what the cost of living is there. Its definitely not as bad here in AZ but it keeps rising thanks to our stupid taxes. We got a tax on our stupid light-rail "bus" they decided to build even after a poll showed only 1% of people would use it. Then they decide to redo all the freeways since they didnt make them big enough the first time. Now im getting taxed an extra $.60 on cigarettes for childrens education since our schools suck so bad, not thinking that maybe the schools suck because they only pay the teachers 25-30k a year to teach the "Future leaders of America". My cousin is a teacher in Chicago and thought it was retarded how little they got paid here.

jjdye1

53 posts [100%]
around ca

yea its so gay having these "tight" emission laws!!!
VitriumGTS

4730 posts [96%]
San Jose/San Diego CA

Quote, originally posted by oni.dori »
oh really, you do smogs?

Used to. After little over a year of doing it day in and day out (high traffic smog place), it wore me out mentally and physically so i decided to go back to college, while i was still young

but i still know alot about how it system works so feel free to pick my brain.

First  1 2 3 >  Last

» Return to Cars - RWD - (AE86, TE, KP, RA, TA)