Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 ae86 dash??? can you fix it? please help!First  1 2 >  Last
Author Post
inkslingers13

338 posts [78%]
seabrook tx

ae86 dash??? can you fix it? please help! Reply  Edit

so i have a cracked dash, and its driving me nuts. i think everyone know how expensive and hard a un cracked dash is to come by. so my question is can they be fixed? id like to get it re done in black. any ideas? how to fix them?
thanks

Red

9661 posts [78%]

Re: ae86 dash??? can you fix it? please help! (inkslingers13) » Reply  Edit

If it is all cracked up, you can try to find a clean one, could be $100-200 the trick is to find a private seller of junkyard that HAS one.

One or two small cracks and any "auto vinyl and top repair" shop can fix them. More than that...someone posted lots of pics, maybe 6 months ago, they refinished a whole dash. You'll need fiberglass and/or paint skills to do it, but if can be done. If you've never done body or paint work...it might be the wrong project to start with, it could take a while.

--Original owner, '85 Corolla GTS. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150, or a Ford GT, in similar condition.
chadwick

655 posts [96%]
Buena Park Ca

» Reply  Edit

there is a few companies that makes dash caps also. cheap replacment, i dont know how its fits though.
inkslingers13

338 posts [78%]
seabrook tx

Re: (chadwick) » Reply  Edit

thanks! yeah ive seen dash caps but i have not seen ONE actual picture or of one installed. are the cracks ALL the way threw the dash it self? of is it just the top part? or is the dash it self splitting? i cant take this! i wana fix this crap
inkslingers13

338 posts [78%]
seabrook tx

Re: (inkslingers13) » Reply  Edit

anyone else?
F0Bman

1146 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

All in all you have to remove your dash! Which is a major pain in the butt!

Fully Restored 1985 Corolla GT-S
1987 328ci SR20DET Drift Car
1989 Honda Civic Si-R Current Project
2002 Corolla CE Daily Driver

http://www.TheTunerSource.com

inkslingers13

338 posts [78%]
seabrook tx

Re: (F0Bman) » Reply  Edit

um actually if you know how to do its not that hard at all
chadwick

655 posts [96%]
Buena Park Ca

» Reply  Edit

the dash caps go over your old dash, your supposed to even out your old dash as much as possible and then glue the cap on.
AE86Kai
Global Moderator

6773 posts [100%]
Tokyo, JAPAN

» Reply  Edit

If you are not able to find the good condition replacement dash, I think dash cap is the LAST method...I mean really last.

As I mentioned in your other post, just keep looking at a yard.
If you are lucky, you can purchase uncracked dash for under $20.00

I had the dash cap on my car before and unfortunately, it start deforming after 2 weeks under the hot California sun.

The instruction tells you that it is easy to install without removing the dash out of the car, but, I highly recommend to remove the dash OUT from the car to install.

Your 20 years plus dash with crack is expanded under the sun and it requires some trimming.

Once the trimming is done, you need to apply adhesive that is provided in the kit and you can NOT clamp the dash if it is in the car.

Once again, trust me on this, IF you are going to install the dash cap, make sure to remove your original dash OUT then install it.

Here is the some picture that is before start deforming.....it looks ok but, personally I would not recommend it.....

Fiber glass repair on the dash will not work...it will look only good for a while and it will crack again....

If your damage is minimum, you might want to have your local re-upholstery place to look at it.

I was quoted approx. $650 for comlete padding replacement or wrap in leather for $300.00.....and yes, if that is the case, I rather buy uncracked dash here for $200.00

inkslingers13

338 posts [78%]
seabrook tx

Re: (AE86Kai) » Reply  Edit

wow, the dash cap looks really good! what if you where to like J-B weld it in place? would it still warp? and trust me im looking everywhere for a uncracked dash. its hard. and no junk yard in my area even has a ae86 in there. well i guess ill just keep looking
AE86Kai
Global Moderator

6773 posts [100%]
Tokyo, JAPAN

» Reply  Edit

I would not use JB weld since it will be super hard once it is cured.
I used PERMATEX Black Silicone that does absorve vibration after the adhesive is cured.

Good luck with your search and project.

inkslingers13

338 posts [78%]
seabrook tx

thanks
Norcalae86

708 posts [92%]

» Reply  Edit

I was going to try this product.

Its called flex fill.

http://www.colorplus.com/products.html#flexfill

http://www.colorplus.com/dashcracks.html

If you want it professionally done "Just Dashes" is the place. If your doing a full restoration just spend the money.

http://www.justdashes.com/Index.htm

They also sell Dye to restore your interior parts.

http://www.justdashes.com/FadeAway.htm

Nostalgic Hero magazines & various other Japanese magazines : http://forums.club4ag.com/zero...88525
AE86Kai
Global Moderator

6773 posts [100%]
Tokyo, JAPAN

» Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Norcalae86 »
If you want it professionally done "Just Dashes" is the place. If your doing a full restoration just spend the money.

http://www.justdashes.com/Index.htm

Yes...they are the one who quoted me $650.00 for complete restoration for AE86 dash.
(Remove the excisting padding and re-apply the foam and outer vinyl)

Sound very expensive but, I am pretty sure that the final result is amazing.....just like brand new.

inkslingers13

338 posts [78%]
seabrook tx

great info guys thanks! got alota options. but they all cost alot lol. just gona keep looking for a new dash
4AG ROLA

3450 posts [98%]
National City CA

sounds like i gotta start a group buy soon.
lmf1987

329 posts [100%]
Los Angeles CA

» Reply  Edit

or you can get a carbon fiber dash, i saw one online earlier for 300
AE86STALKER

223 posts [95%]
Indianapolis/Portales IN/NM

Re: (lmf1987) » Reply  Edit

yea, i would assume, the just dash or go carbon, cause with carbon you can get a sick look, and if im gona pay for the redo on the old, why not do it right and customize it with carbon fiber and vents out of whatever car you want, so you dont get the 80s look, you can have a 21st century look in the car, i think that would be cool, there are lots of places that do custom body panels for open wheel race cars that im sure would be willing to do that for 600-800 bucks, still a bit of money, but you can have a nice new slick look
AE86Kai
Global Moderator

6773 posts [100%]
Tokyo, JAPAN

» Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by lmf1987 »
or you can get a carbon fiber dash, i saw one online earlier for 300

I have noticed the following product from Modiride's site and I would like to know if anyone here have it on your AE86.

I know I should contact them for the details but, to me it looks like it is just an over-lay like dash-cap but in wet CF...?
Does rest of the dash parts, such as gauge bezel even fits on this dash?
Also, I am curious how much reflection you will see in the windshield since they are very shiny....

vote4pedro

1521 posts [91%]
LA/OC area CA

Quote, originally posted by AE86Kai »

I am curious how much reflection you will see in the windshield since they are very shiny....

I don't know why some would want a dash thats going to blind them when they drive in the summer. but that does look cool parked.

if you want a great looking dash you should go for the faux suede dash like rally cars. it looks good and will cut down on glare.

pete

To Know me is to Love Me!

email: memo_hern@hotmail dot com

AE86Kai
Global Moderator

6773 posts [100%]
Tokyo, JAPAN

» Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by vote4pedro »

I don't know why some would want a dash thats going to blind them when they drive in the summer. but that does look cool parked.

if you want a great looking dash you should go for the faux suede dash like rally cars. it looks good and will cut down on glare.

pete

ditto

AE86STALKER

223 posts [95%]

carbon fiber doesn't have to be glossed, lol, just carbon fiber isn't that shinny when theres no gloss on it
jase86

38 posts [100%]
Melbourne Vic

Re: » Reply  Edit

Dry carbon is a lot harder to manufacture and a lot more expensive as it requires curing in an autoclave under vacuum, which is why you mainly see it in proper functional race applications - unlike the wet carbon which is not as strong and produced like normal FRP, so is used mainly for dressing up street cars!

I stripped all the padding off my dash on the race car and am just running the plastic moulding as a dash, I might give it a coat of matt black paint to knock back some of the plastic sheen but its pretty good as is - no more cracks, light weight! LOL...

-= Half-Arsed Racing =-
AE86STALKER

223 posts [95%]

Re: Re: (jase86) » Reply  Edit

i can agree with that, lol, most open wheel bodies are dry carbon, thats why
Red

9661 posts [78%]

Cars used to have simple hard dsahboards made from sheet metal and the like, before CF existed.

And people hit them and got injured in accidents, which is why all cars have padded dashboards today.

Just something to think about, the padding is there is help keep your face in one piece. Or your passenger's.

--Original owner, '85 Corolla GTS. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150, or a Ford GT, in similar condition.
AE86STALKER

223 posts [95%]

Re: Re: (Red) » Reply  Edit

very true
inkslingers13

338 posts [78%]
seabrook tx

Re: Re: (Red) » Reply  Edit

Modiride is a scammer. read up on him, if he were the only one on earth making CF parts for hachi's id rather make my own. how good does the dash with no padding look? pics? oh and look at that pic from Modiride's web site... it looks like pure $hit. im still waiting for the perfect dash
jase86

38 posts [100%]
Melbourne Vic

Re: Re: (inkslingers13) » Reply  Edit

Dont have any pics of the dash with no padding at the moment, will try and take some in the next couple of days for you. It doesnt look too bad(for a race car) but not sure its something you'd like in a daily driver, unless you were going ghetto light weight spec.

-= Half-Arsed Racing =-
inkslingers13

338 posts [78%]
seabrook tx

cool let me know, im me when the pics are up
AE86Kai
Global Moderator

6773 posts [100%]
Tokyo, JAPAN

» Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by AE86STALKER »
carbon fiber doesn't have to be glossed, lol, just carbon fiber isn't that shinny when theres no gloss on it

I think I know that LOL, I was just asking if anyone had this item on their car for some feedback.

..I personally would not buy this.

First  1 2 >  Last

» Return to Cars - RWD - (AE86, TE, KP, RA, TA)