Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 Surreptitious......First  < 10 11 12 13 14 >  Last
Author Post
oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

» Reply  Edit

thanks Jack... not sure if it is placed correctly... but it looks sexy...

Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/ USE it!

I've been wrong before... and at somepoint in time, I'll be wrong again

Holden

1357 posts [98%]
South Jordan Ut

Re: (oldeskewltoy) » Reply  Edit

weird it isnt popping up. Maybe try me on hr.net?

Angry4AG

425 posts [96%]
Bronx NY/Okinawa JP/And now in Las Vegas NV

Actually the whole dam car is sexy

Get it right!!

Awesome and unique like always

http://www.sdsefi.com/features/jan064ag.htm

Holden

1357 posts [98%]
South Jordan Ut

» Reply  Edit

Well I got to meet up with Oldskewltoy this last week. Went for a ride in the car, had some lunch too.

This car is simply amazing. Very fast, very clean, and Very custom. Oh and OldSkewl is a class act as well.

My favorite thing about the car is how well he integrates his custom bits. There are a lot of things he has done to the car that look OEM, but in reality are far from.

A+++++ Job. Can't wait to see her finished!

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

Re: (Holden) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Holden »
Well I got to meet up with Oldskewltoy this last week. Went for a ride in the car, had some lunch too.

This car is simply amazing. Very fast, very clean, and Very custom. Oh and OldSkewl is a class act as well.

My favorite thing about the car is how well he integrates his custom bits. There are a lot of things he has done to the car that look OEM, but in reality are far from.

A+++++ Job. Can't wait to see her finished!

Thanks Brent... I had a good time too. Maybe the next time your out it wont be raining so we can take her on a few twisties

Holden

1357 posts [98%]
South Jordan Ut

» Reply  Edit

No problem. Ironically my dad wanted to go to the same restaurant that night, but the one in Wilsonville. Small world right?

Hopefully next time I am out there I will be coming in a moving truck!

Angry4AG

425 posts [96%]
Bronx NY/Okinawa JP/And now in Las Vegas NV

Any updates on this gem?

In car video would be sweet!!!!

Or a flyby on the highway

http://www.sdsefi.com/features/jan064ag.htm

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

Re: (Angry4AG) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Angry4AG »
Any updates on this gem?

In car video would be sweet!!!!

Or a flyby on the highway

Best I've got right now.......

I've been trying to get a short video... maybe one day

Another bit of news.... her final tune will be happening sometime in the next week or so, she has an appointment with these guys - http://tunedbypsi.com/

joel23

185 posts [100%]

Looks good.......
oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

» Reply  Edit

a few more stills.....

photo below by Patrick Craig - pcraigphoto@gmail.com

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

» Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by oldeskewltoy »
It sucks when your wideband sensor fails.........

more to come.......

LOOOOOOOOOOOONG story, grab a bag of chips/popcorn and get settled in.

December 2011 - in the mail comes my vehicle registration. Along with the registration is the need to take Surreptitious back through emissions. Now to remind readers, part of this build was to build a car that was fun, and yet still emissions compliant. In fact emissions compliance was why I went mild on this engine in the first place!!!

January 2012 - I'm a little nervous about going through emissions because it has been nearly 2 years, and all the time I've ben "tuning" on her. Well I got up the courage and drove over to Sherwood DEQ and went through and got the following.......

The above is a FAIL sheet. Follow the corresponding highlighter to see my readings and what the standard are... 220 HC standard, I'm pumping out 1968 :tard: That is 8 TIMES the standard!!! The CO isn't helping here either, the standard is 1%, and I'm @ 3.2477% - a factor of more than 3.2 TIMES. This is NOT a clean car... not by a LOOOOOONG shot!

Being mid January 2012, and having about 6 weeks to fix this, I call Bob and see if he has time to set up the tune, this time without a 9mm vacuum leak!!! I speak to Bob, and he is massively booked, so booked that his earliest appointment time for me would be mid to late March.... outside of my inspection window

February 2012 - Another solution had to be found, and found quickly. I put a few feelers out and I decided on PSI in Hillsboro - http://www.tunedbypsi.com. Jason is the owner of PSI, cool guy, knows his stuff. I brought over Surreptitious, her laptop with the FJO software, and left them there for a week. This was cool by him because he could fit Surreptitious around other clients... and so save me some cash

I kept in contact with Jason all week long via email, he began the tune with a baseline run (PSI still has all 39 runs... yes 39!) At first he began to pull out ignition timing... those that remember my MAP peaked @ 35 degrees, well Jason begain pulling timing and seeing no loss of power while on the dyno... he was able to pull 9 degrees of timing from the map while retaining ALL of the power. Peak ignition timing on WOT is now a very "Easy" 26 degrees. So with the ignition side set, he looks @ the wideband and it is not operating correctly... The baseline run saw afr around 16..... 16 That lean, with 35 degrees ignition... and still no ping!!! Amazing what deshrouding of the chambers can do to minimize ping

Once an ignition map was laid in, Jason rebuilt the fuel MAP, he scrapped all the previous info from the fuel side, all the other maps that were in the system and began by figuring out the VE (volumetric effficency) of my engine. He built an entirely new fuel map that as of now is NOT using the wideband for fine tuning. Although I do expect this to change....

So with all of PSI wizardry, the best they could get the emissions down to was the 1400s... better, but still WAAAAY off the mark. After speaking to Jason it was agreed that the next step to get her clean was a new cat, and if that failed, pull the cams, for a set of stockers so the overlap would be less. This last option was not my favorite, and although easier then swapping an entire engine, I was hoping that the cat would fix the issue.

Earlier today - I went back to Darrell's Economy Muffler (originally recommend by Arnie Loyning), showed him my original emissions cert from 2010 (seen below)

and then I showed him the failed cert. He looked at me, looked at the car, and said , "I remember you and that little hotrod... what you'd expect a single stage cat to keep all that overlap(cam duration) clean for 2 years?" They set me up with a new cat, a heavy metal dual stage 2.5" cat. The shop owner recommended a 30 min drive to fully heat up the new cat... I drive back to the west side of town, back to Sherwood DEQ....

The numbers are now 78 for the HC, and .1% for the CO

she now passed, and is good for another 2 years. I'll now be prepared, that if she fails in 2 years to take a close look at the cat.

(PSI still has all 39 runs... yes 39!)

for those number hounds... her peaks were 144whp, and 110#/ft WITH the airbox and air intake tube on.

The 145whp and 112#/ft were on Bob's dyno dynamics, but those peaks were done with the airbox, and air intake elbow removed. For those who like to calculate dyno differences... when Bob ran my engine with air intake and airbox, she planted around 138whp and 107 ft/#s

What has improved is the torque curve.... All the dips have been removed, In some areas Jason raised the torque over 6#/ft at certain rpm levels! She pulls long and strong with 100#/ft(@ the wheels) for over 5000 rpm!!!

I'll get the printouts in the next week or so.

Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

» Reply  Edit

Dan,

Personally, I couldn't hear Det at high rpm. I could hear it at mid-range though. Best way to be sure is to pull the plugs and look for damage.

Also, for emissions test you should retard the intake cam and advance the exhaust cam....this reduce overlap which significantly reduce unburned HCO. Glad you got it resolved. I'm going to use this strategy myself, and will have to come up with a custom map for smog.

Stand Alone ECU tuning. Message me for details.

Looking to buy a corolla manual rack and a TRD 3 gear transmission.
*also wtb 4 point roll cage/bar for ae86 coupe

Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

» Reply  Edit

This is also why VVT rocks......it gives me the overlap when I want it, and the clean emissions and fuel economy when I don't want it

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

» Reply  Edit

http://tunedbypsi.com/dyno-rec...a-232

Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

» Reply  Edit

What size exhaust are you using dan? I just upgraded to 2.5" crush bent and I saw really good gains. My g-tech says I'm at about 165 at the flywheel. It's really fast up to 85mph or so (wind resistance). Your car must haul too!

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

Re: (Grant) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Grant »
What size exhaust are you using dan? I just upgraded to 2.5" crush bent and I saw really good gains. My g-tech says I'm at about 165 at the flywheel. It's really fast up to 85mph or so (wind resistance). Your car must haul too!

the Brave is mandrel bent 2.25"

As I've frequently said with this build... my goal was not the ultimate hp, but was to build as much torque into her as I could. My original goals were only about 130hp, but I did want to have blacktop type torque... which I think my torque "flat" is about as good as is possible with my specs

Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

» Reply  Edit

That's the thing though.....apparently large exhaust diameter doesn't hurt torque at all. I personally saw no losses down low at all going to the larger diameter. Go figure. It's a new idea Honda people have discovered....sometimes the pipe diameter after the collector doesn't matter as far as low end torque is concerned, but the large pipes help flow up high.

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

» Reply  Edit

Well, for those that missed the excitement - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28990

The Cliff's Note's version....... driving to a meet, the TPS fails and strands me on a bridge.

What had happened? Why did it fail?

While on the bridge, I figured that since it idled smoothly, but it just had no response from throttle inputs, I had figured that it was likely a TPS issue of some kind.

After the excitement of being stuck on the bridge.... the following day, Jesse came over to assist me with proper diag. The quickest and easiet to diag failure would have been a T/B failure. MOmo had a similar problem a year or so ago, his throttle shaft snapped. R&I the air intake hose and a snapped T/B shaft was eliminated as the issue.

The next step required hooking up the laptop, and checking the "monitor" screen. It was in the FJO monitor screen that we saw no TPS signal. The first step @ this point is to swap in another TPS and see if things changed... well as luck would have it, my AE101 S/C set up came with a TPS with the proper connector (rounded corners instead of 90 degree corners). I bring that upstairs and Jesse fits it.... still no reading.

Jesse is doing the majority of the diag @ this point, it is easier for him to do the diag, and for me to support him since it is my place, my parts, and I know better where most everything is.... Jesse is also one of those "cooler" head types... and right now I'm barely able to focus straight (I'm that excited A.D.D. kid if you remember).

With the R&I of the TPS plug to fit the test TPS, once the test TPS was removed, Jesse looked @ the connector, and almost similtaniously, the blue/red striped TPS wire fell from the back of the plug.

So now we had a pretty good idea of what was the problem, Jesse twisted the wire back on, slipped all the wires on to there respective places, we went back to the laptop... now we had a TPS signal!!!!

I went out to the pick n pull in Sherwood because they had an LS400, the LS had its clip and wiring (see above link for reason for LS400 clip and pig tails). I paid, went back home, wired in the new clip(crimp connected with heat shrink to protect it) and we are repaired, and back up and running.

WHY it happened.... When I chose to have the car re-wired, I had to use SOME of the old wiring on the TPS, the dash cluster, and the tail lights. The clip I chose for the TPS had wires I shouldn't have used. They were old, brittle, and because of that it failed.

Red

9661 posts [78%]

FJO monitor screen?

Is your wiring young enough that there's obd2 in the car? Or is this something our other older cars can work with?

I'm tempted to add an odb port under my steering column with a pda feeding it fake data. Just for the sake of techs who are SO DAMN SURE that every car has one, right? <WEG>

--Original owner, '85 Corolla GTS. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150, or a Ford GT, in similar condition.
oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

Re: (Red) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Red »
FJO monitor screen?

Is your wiring young enough that there's obd2 in the car? Or is this something our other older cars can work with?

I'm tempted to add an odb port under my steering column with a pda feeding it fake data. Just for the sake of techs who are SO DAMN SURE that every car has one, right? <WEG>

Sorry Red... The FJO 341B is the name of my management system. One of the features is it has a montitoring screen that calls up all of the sensors. For example, I know my fuel pressure averages 42 psi, I know my oil pressure @ idle as well as @ different rpm points. I know oil temps, coolant temps. I know @ what temp my fans come on, and go off.

Car isn't running.... but you can see what is getting monitored

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

» Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by from another forum »
Geez Dan, I need to stop by and check out this beast..I'm thinking about going to the same route in late spring but maybe with diyautotune

The FJO system I'm using is no longer available. FJO, last I heard, is manufacturing the Holley EFI management system, the one that comes with a palm sized programming interface. Newer systems have a few modern features that make tuning them easier - I've heard good things about ViPec

I know very little about the diyautotune... that is a mega-squirt derived system... right?

Well, tax refunds arrived, so I've ordered a brand new*, fully assembled, Richmond Racing 3.90 rear differential. It is an "open" unit. * - the ring and pinion, along with all the bearings, and the front seal are all new, fully assembled, ready to pop in the rear diff housing.

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

» Reply  Edit

You'll have to use your imagination some... the other horizontal piece still needs finishing, and re-assembly. The dashboard is now fully covered in Brazillion Cherry. A few swipes with tung oil and the new dash blends nicely with the Nardi

That isn't some sticky backed simulation, or vinyl..... that is real Brazilian (correctly spelled this time) cherry veneer... 2mm thick!

David.... remember David??? my body guy? Well besides body work and custom work, he also builds guitars... from rare and unusual woods. Many of his guitars sell for as much as $5000!

Well, I asked David last year if he could help me get the dash panels of Surreptitious to be covered in a complimentary wood to go along with the Nardi wheel.

It took him some time... He called me and told me that my Dremel equipment would do a better job then his larger equipment, and so I went and picked up the pieces that were disassembled, and with the wood needing to be sized correctly (the openings, and adjustment gaps)

note far right is the roughed out hole for the glove box release mechanism... In the final view of this post you can better see the work I did for proper shape and size... along with fully re-assembling the vents

All the right side needs now is a bit of tung oil so it'll match the panel that lays in front of the driver.....

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

» Reply  Edit

It's waaaaaay beyond time for this...........

MORE TO COME!!! and SOOON

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

» Reply  Edit

The transmission is removed, the carpeting is removed.

The floor before

The floor after...

I purposely left a small amount of material along the top so the bent edge would retain some of its original structure.

A better view of the modification from inside....

What can't be seen in the 2 panel above is the floor from below.

The floor from below shows 2 stages of work. The first stage shows the lengthening of the transmission tunnel, the low view shows clearancing for the protruding shift rod. Look above @ the end view of the 2 transmissions... note the rod poking out of the rubber booty on the transmission on the right?? That is the shift rod... ***

The radius-ed view shows an OEM structural shape in the floor that will act as a natural pocket for the shift extension to operate in. The top view shows without this pocket there might be clearance issues for the shift rod.

Now for a few measurements... and why that radius is important. First, the most important thing I'm trying to NOT modify... is the interior crossmember. I DO NOT want to remove structure.... these cars are flimsy enough. I don't mind taking a bit of material... as long as I can add a few welds and make is sound.

THE CRUCIAL measurement... That is the distance from the metal plate @ the back of the engine to my now elongated shifter opening - 31 9/16"

The length of the shifter support bucket in the LEEN J160 in OST configuration......... 31 1/4"

Now.... if you "see" spacially... you can see that the shift rod moves in relation to the bucket

The shift rods length... depending on gear.... 1,3, 5

and in 2, 4, 6...

The plan is for the shift rod to operate in the radiused floor.....

For those who "see"....

MUCH more to come........

UltimX

496 posts [98%]
ba ca

What transmission is that? Nice work can't wait to see the rest
VitriumGTS

4730 posts [96%]
San Jose/San Diego CA

Re: (UltimX) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by UltimX »
What transmission is that? Nice work can't wait to see the rest

Thats the converted 6 speed AZ6 / J160 transmission that Dan has been involved in for a few years now!

Can't wait to see how this pans out

My RHDJapan.com receipt said: "Your order # is: 100001986". The AE86 gods really are looking out for me.
UltimX

496 posts [98%]
ba ca

Re: (VitriumGTS) » Reply  Edit

Flipping sweet!
oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

» Reply  Edit

glad you like it so far.....

Sooo.... length (body opening and shifter cup) appears to be pretty good, the opening should allow the shifter cup to clear the cross member. So now that the car is prepared to accept the new transmission, we need to see what the transmission needs to fit the car.........

a quick 2 panel show the current mounts for the 2 transmissions. There are a few obvious issues to overcome....

1) the J160 mount is about 3 11/16" further back then the mount on the T50 (AE71 T50 mount)

and 2) the J160 mount hangs down significantly more (almost 2" lower overall), and 3) The T50 mount is NOT spaced evenly from side to side, while the J160 is evenly spaced.

Because of the amount of drop, AND the uneven side to side spacing the original cross member was discarded... to begin the brainstorming once again.......

If you stare long enough... the J160 mount begins to "tell" you the mount it "wants" (Thanks to Miura (Jeff) he saw it first)

So now that the mount has designed its own shape... we let the car design the rest of the shape... now the problem we have is the J160 mount is too far back to fit any of the area Toyota designed to support transmissions in the AE71....

You can see the T50 cross member fits the 13" span by how clean it is.. also if you look carefully I've drawn a small area inside the trans hole that represents the location of the J160 mount in relation to the floor

So the mount needs to sweep, or "wing" forward.....

Yes... that is corrugated paper for now, the mount itself is being built in 1/8" plate... I should have it for test fitment on Wednesday. Once the crossmember has been sized, gusset supports will be added to reinforce the plate.

More to come

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

» Reply  Edit

I get a call last night(tuesday) David tells me he didn't have any 1/8"(11 gauge), he did have 1/4" plate and he went on to say he had "built" the first prototype using said 1/4" plate.........

That is a wee bit more than I needed(MASSIVE), and he also got the dimensions off a bit. Sooo... today we went out to his welding supply company and bought a 12 gauge piece of steel so that he can properly build it. We discussed the dimensions and I expect the 2nd attempt to be far better.

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

» Reply  Edit

Now I just need some help in fitting it all... once fitted, I can place the holes in the plate for proper positioning.... and its DONE!

First  < 10 11 12 13 14 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs