Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 Moto-P - Who Are You?First  1 2 3 >  Last
Author Post
BakaBaka

770 posts [97%]
New York NY

Moto-P - Who Are You? Reply  Edit

I've been a member of Club4AG since the time I got my very first 86 which should be about 2-3 years back. During that time till now, I have yet to find out who Moto-P a.k.a Motohide Miwa really is. Forgive my ignorance and lack of social skills but after all this time, I feel as if I didn't learn anything at all and that I haven't really "connected" with the C4AG community (which is what I should be doing - networking). Unfortunately, i'm from the East Coast and not much stuff happens around here that would grab people's attention. It really does suck I admit.. we don't get events or meets like you guys over there on the West.. or atleast not that I know of.

My daily life on the Club consist basically of roaming around threads and engaging into topics that grabs or needs my attention. After all this time, curiosity finally starts to set in on who Motohide Miwa is. I hear him attending/managing events, contacts with D1 drivers, going to agenda meetings at Toyota, etc etc. This, all-in-all, makes Moto sound like a very important/famous person to me and I would like to know who he is and if at all possible, finally meet him one day and get his autograph... and then tell him i'm his son.

So if you don't mind Moto, please introduce yourself to me and to those who don't know you.

Kudos,
Henry

Modified by Moto-P at 5:53 AM 5/19/2007

GumballF355

3997 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

Moto is the Noodle Prince.

I will moderate in moderation...
Moto-P
Founder/Webmaster - wwwClub4ag.com

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

I'm the founder and webmaster here... » Reply  Edit

Hello Henry, and everyone.

I owe you a long due introduction I guess. Maybe I haven't done that since 1998 when this website was started.

I'm a resident of Southern California

My primary occupation is tending to my own restaurant, MIFUNE in Torrance, CA.

Serving noodles and other Japanese foods as fourth generation of noodle making business owner. If that’s what “GumballF355” means by Noodle Prince…well being an heir to this small shop, I guess I am in a way.

I have been a nut for cars since before I was born (perhaps).
Anyway, having owned and driven many cars as this nutcase, AE86 was always on my shopping list, as its inaugural year was also the year I got my driver's license at 16. I couldn't afford a new AE86 back then as a teen, but I have always planned on getting one. Many cars have come and gone in my driveway since my first car, a 1985 Honda Civic S.

In 1993, I finally came across an AE86 which was in the form of a scrapped car, which I built bit by bit. Drove it everyday and loved it for years. No AC and No radio.

By 1991 I was already almost two years into my marriage with my wife, and I was also about to have a daughter. So things sort of went on economy mode for a while.

By 1995, however, I owned 3 AE86's for parts, practice driving, and to make one good car.
1998 was my 5th one, the very same one I own as a Levin today.

Anyway, to document the AE86 build and to develop a then, fairly new hobby of web-making, I started a website called Club4AG. I did this primarily for putting my own blog up, and hopefully gather some insight with others who started to embrace the internet revolution.

About this time, I was also heavily into attending track events, competitions in SCCA Solo2, and sometimes car shows. It’s where I made hundreds of acquaintances and friends who shared a very cultish passion of AE86. Guys like Taka Aono, Hiroo Sumida, and dozens of others who raced and enjoyed Corollas.

(continued...)

Moto Miwa
Founder/ Administrator Club4AG
moto@club4ag.com

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Re: I'm the founder and webmaster here... (Moto-P) » Reply  Edit

(continued from above)

By 2000, I had about 600 or so members in a forum within Club4AG, and one of them, Naoki Kobayashi approached me about starting a track event organization entity. We named it Drift Association, as we just wanted to introduce this sport to the US.

It wasn't big at all, back then... Everyone laughed and couldn't really see anything grow, and only a few who embraced videos and what's going on in Japan, appreciated it. We did events called Drift Day first in slots of regular track days, but later as stand alone events as population slowly grew.

Then, in 2002, D1 Grand Prix's producers from Japan and publishers of Option, SUNPROS approached us and hired us in the creation of a test market drift event. We couldn't believe the timing, and we learned what real drifting was... Ken Nomura, now a D1 legend, showed us hands on. Why us? Perhaps we were the only group of guys who didn’t laugh at drifting in the USA. Hard to imagine but you should have been there then… No one really understood or cared.

Few months after, Falken Tires approached us to oversee the track management of Falken Drift Showoff. A new motorsports event and the first real spectator drift event in the USA. Drift Association of Naoki and I soon was busy catering services to almost all of the drifting events in the USA, which happed mostly in Southern California for the first few years…

In 2003 D1 Grand Prix officially held a first round of exhibition here in the USA, and we were there to run it. A year later, Formula D emerged from local promoters of first D1, and we were there. RSR and Falken put on a Tour of drift events all across the USA, and we were there too.

Few years went by and by 2005, drifting was everywhere in the media. Industry embraced it as drag racing was starting to cost too much and aging as anything fresh.
Through working in a whole new dream world, I had a chance to meet many people, entities, and a hobby became a dream to be lived. Demanding, yes, with almost no days off for months out of the year, but enjoyable.

Now in 2007, after I’ve taken a quiet break for close to a year from many of the events, I had handed off Drift Association LLC to Naoki. He still continues our legacy and focus of making drifting accessible to all. I’m back in the industry as consultant to many events, and advisor to D1 Grand Prix Series for upcoming 2008 season.

It’s timely that you asked who I am… As in a few weeks, if all details come together smoothly, I’ll be touring the USA with D1 Grand Prix USA for few years ahead, working with many talented industry people to try and improve the world for drifters and those who cherish motorsports and automotive hobbies in general.

Club4AG? Well it’s now 200,000 members strong and growing yet. And I would have never dreamed that it would be blessed with all of you who gather to share your passions. It’s my treasure, this web community and I hope you can call it that too. It belongs to all of us and I will try my best to keep it alive between duties of my life.

Thanks, all of you.

Sincerely,

Motohide “Moto” Miwa
Webmaster, Club4AG, and many other hats of my duties to you all.
And a father of 3 daughters, and love to my wife, who puts up with this busy life of mine.

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

kul_blu_car

2894 posts [98%]

» Reply  Edit

I have been a member here for soooo long now. 7+ years?? Back when driiting was still being introduced in the U.S.

Moto's knowledge of cars still amazes me to this very day...

Fast, Reliable, Cheap. You can only choose two. Why?

Fast and Reliable = Not cheap

Reliable and Cheap = Not fast

Fast and Cheap = Not Reliable

DadsToyAe86

2321 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

MIFUNE,my favorite.every friday
GumballF355

3997 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

... I told you he was the Noodle Prince...

I will moderate in moderation...
Al

2506 posts [60%]

» Reply  Edit

Hello Moto!

Phuck T3
DRIFTxBATTLE
Bill Sherwood

2513 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

Hey Moto - You wouldn't believe it, but a few months ago I was watching the TV in some country around the world, can't remember which one, but flicking through the channels there was a show on drifting, and there you were, sitting on a chair with two other guys being interviewed.

wesuri

2288 posts [100%]
socali ca

club4ag » Reply  Edit

moto is partly responsible for helping me start racing.

we spent long nights wiring my stand alone ecu in his garage since my japanese lacks in every department.

without his help and Inspiration, i would not be where i am today.

domi
mod

1129 posts [100%]
St. Ann MO

» Reply  Edit

Major kudos, Moto, for accomplishing what you have! It's pioneers like yourself that motivate, inspire and keep the flicker of hope alive in amateurs like myself
Several weeks back i was watching SPEED and Redline or something similar was on, you were being interviewed, but it was the way you were introduced that really caught my attention. I have since silently hoped to shake your hand one day. Thank you for the oasis of an online environment you have created, if it wasn't for support forums like this one, i'd have never went for the AE86... and that would've been regrettable

GeneralPostingPolicy:
...if it sounds sarcastic - don't take seriously,
if it sounds dangerous - do not try this at home, or at all...
and if it offends you - just don't listen to it!
MAZGTS

1289 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

Moto is a real genius and a real asset to Toyota enthusiasts everywhere. I think I beat Moto when I drove my AE86 for three years 25 miles a day with no AC, Heater or Radio! I guess that's something many AE86ers have in common haha!
Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Daily Drives... » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by MAZGTS »
Moto is a real genius and a real asset to Toyota enthusiasts everywhere. I think I beat Moto when I drove my AE86 for three years 25 miles a day with no AC, Heater or Radio! I guess that's something many AE86ers have in common haha!

LOL! Haha, you got me there! And most of you who still use AE86 as commuter, date wheels, and other more unusual purposes I don't even want to know... Perhaps though, it is my love of cars in general, or even to say anything on wheels from airplanes to go karts... I have a particular urge to try a new driving experience on regular basis... So my daily driver gets replaced as quickly as my credit line for loans and cash savings replenish. An I enjoy any car, minivans, deisel trucks, vintages and big sedans too.

Still, the fact that I haven't been without an AE86 for over 17 years, is a statement of how much I love it. And I'll probabaly never sell my AE86 unlesss the focus is to own another in replacement.

Thus, Club4AG will live as long as there's internet and me.

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

Skizzup

4389 posts [53%]
san jose ca

» Reply  Edit

i remember when i first joined club4ag 733180 days ago (and counting).... it was such a small community. my dad was the one that introduced me to it and all it's little facets. i lurked for a long time, then finally joined.

club4ag is a great place where corolla heads can help and talk with each other. other online forums are crazy flame wars.

i dunno what im talking about, its late (early?) and all that alcohol is finally starting to hit me....

i guess in short, thanks moto!

Do you wanna ball or not?
GARAGE_86
the artist formerly known as

6879 posts [100%]
Master P.

Re: Motohide Miwa - WHO ARE YOU? (BakaBaka) » Reply  Edit

is someone who went up to me in a event and asked , " are you having FUN in your corolla? "

i said YES!

ill never forget that...thats the main key why im a corolla owner...FUN

simple question but meant so many things ...

AE86Nights
Tigere Llantas

"From all the years , I learned not everyone in a AE86 corolla is automatically your friend ...A car doesn't make someone automatically a TRUSTED person "

-------OEM Manual Rack sets or Hybrid sets ---- hmu thru pm < RACK CITY

-------OEM non-cruise throttle cables for sale ----
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=64669

-----------------15x10 wheels for sale------------------------
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=112591

TOYCOOLROLLA

12780 posts [99%]
QC, Philippines

Re: Daily Drives... (Moto-P) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Moto-P »

Thus, Club4AG will live as long as there's internet and me.

Long live Moto....Long live Moto...!!!!

TOYCOOLROLLA@YAHOO.COM
PHILIPPINES AE86 CLUB

ebay items:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/me...sopZ1

kul_blu_car

2894 posts [98%]

Just for kicks... » Reply  Edit

Takumi is Japanese, owns an AE86, runs a tofu shop, loves to drift his car...

Moto is Japanese, owns an AE86, runs a noodle house, loves to track his car...

Hmm, I can definitely see some similarities there. Moto, are sure your not Takumi in disguise??? Minus the stickers...

Getting all anime here now... LOL!

Fast, Reliable, Cheap. You can only choose two. Why?

Fast and Reliable = Not cheap

Reliable and Cheap = Not fast

Fast and Cheap = Not Reliable

Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Re: Just for kicks... (kul_blu_car) » Reply  Edit

Well I'm real and Takumi doesn't have politics and business...
But yeah, I wish people can read the orginal comic of Initial D as Shigeno wrote in books in it's native language...

He's actually spot-on in theories of ideas and technologies about automotive sports. Only that translated version to cartoon anime, then again to English... Without knowlegable, experienced, automotive racing people in the anime industry, get totally lost in translation.

The animated version is good entertainment but loses much of really good contents for enthusiasts, if you know the book version. Exaggerated for entertainment, it's not bad...but people ridiculing his work as such is not fair at all, because his comic book series was nothing like the anime or the screwed up English and Chinese versions.

Imagine Fast and Furious 3 and it's difference to actual life of a drifter in Japan... Similarities stop beyond cars going sideways... It's the same deal here... But I give anyone credit for making the sport popular. Just now, we are all responsible for understanding the real forces and dedication as a person, driver and teams trying to make a life outside of that fantasy-land.

Our Club4AG is one of many places where we can spread the word about real people's real passions for cars, driving, and competitions. AS such, I spend time trying to get through to all the innocent newcomers that sees motorsports as appealing, and to teach them how to stay entertained and educated for life.

I'm the writer's generation of people and in native Japanese language. Shigeno in Inital D and his previous works "BariBari Densetsu"... One would begin to understand that the writer himself is a very seasoned fan and participant of the motorsport.

Anyway, thanks for the nice words!

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

irishtwincam

560 posts [99%]

According to my Profile Ive been a member of club4ag for 733181 days.
Thats almost 2008 years? I definitely joined in the 90s before Alex setup battleversion :D
(Alex, hurry up and restock AE86 parts!)

I even organised an AE86 meet with the hopes of introducing drifting in Ireland, like Moto had done with DD1 stateside.
http://www.skynet.ie/~eireae86....html

Through Club4AG I discovered figures like Tsyuchiia who were pro racers who loved the AE86. In Europe where Ford and other makers have their racing idols asociated with teh car it was nice to discover a similar "CULTure" among other AE86 enthusiasts the world over.

I hungered for more AE86 media and asked Moto if he could someday send me some AE86 VHS goodness from Japan :D After collecting many copied BM/HotVersion tapes over the course of a year I recieved a package in the post from the USA. BM31, from Moto, it took a year but he still remember to look out for me :D

I even went to DD13 to give back the tape and meet you but you were promoting an event in Atlanta :'( next time maybe.

Due to not getting a job after college, and the rise in AE86 prices here it took some time before I finally got one in good enough nick.
I've attend my first two drift practise events, with more to come.
Cheers to Jerry from "Team HINGA" for the tuition ;D
http://www.skynet.ie/~eireae86/MyAE86/
http://www.skynet.ie/~eireae86...ftDay/
http://www.skynet.ie/~eireae86/MyAE86/DriftDay2/

I dont spend as much time posting on the forum as I did back in the day, but I find that Im spending more time DOING things myself rather than reading about others :D I think thats a good thing!
Ive learned a lot from Club4AG and am proud to be a long time member!

Moto, Im still hoping to bump into you Stateside someday and say thanks for everything!

Rock on Club4AG!

tofuftw

89 posts [100%]
the bay CA

ooOoh I definitely have to check out your restaurant! next time i'm down there!!!. do you give club4ag memebers discounts =D
shadohconspiracy

144 posts [100%]
Portland OR

» Reply  Edit

man this thread is deep haha, +1 to henry for standing up and asking a question that i have always wondered.... i bow down to you moto =D.
Kwangjure

744 posts [95%]
Long Beach CA

Re: (shadohconspiracy) » Reply  Edit

+1 for visiting his restaurant, im always going to mitsuwa market, down for a c4ag discount lol
okinawalevin

4935 posts [86%]
Kitanakagusuku Okinawa

Re: (Al) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by Al »
Hello Moto!

---Holy Crap Moto, I didn't know you knew "Humpty Hump" (SF hat) from Digital Underground. That's some old school Shizzle yo! He do the Humpty Slide? haha.

Chris
TeamHinga-Okinawa

paradox

5128 posts [100%]
Richmond IN

Re: (okinawalevin) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by okinawalevin »

---Holy Crap Moto, I didn't know you knew "Humpty Hump" (SF hat) from Digital Underground. That's some old school Shizzle yo! He do the Humpty Slide? haha.

Chris
TeamHinga-Okinawa

HAHA AL = Humpty Hump!

Moto,
I too have been here since late 90's and have learned so much from you and your website. I even donated the 1 time you allowed donations. I would donate again to help support this site. Thank you, Moto. By the way, I walked right past you a few years ago in front of your noodle shop. I was going to say hi, but you looked busy and I figured you get 50 fanboys a day saying hi to you. I also was going to say hi to you at the Chicago event a couple years back, maybe more, but you were definately busy then.

Keep up the good work!

Al, where is Tupac?

Gregg

Check out my website for drifting in Indiana http://www.indianadrifting.com

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

» Reply  Edit

Thread title should change to read how did Moto influence you....
I'll make it simple and quick
late 90s... excess oversteer.... a letter to Moto.... as he puts it in the lead in..."A reference to a e-mail I wrote a short while ago.."
http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20a....html

Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/ USE it!

I've been wrong before... and at somepoint in time, I'll be wrong again

Takeshi_Nakazato

366 posts [100%]
Ontario

» Reply  Edit

Moto taught me to properly control my bone stock sr5 hatchback when he visited Brampton, Ontario, Canada back in the day for DX-1, our first drift event.

Such a noob back then, haven't really been able to drift since, but i've gotten into tearing down my little sr5 and rebuilding it with some gusto lets say.

I wonder if he still remembers me, it's been a while

domi
mod

1129 posts [100%]
St. Ann MO

Re: (Takeshi_Nakazato) » Reply  Edit

And all the time i lived in Mississauga, i was unaware such events exist there... damn.

GeneralPostingPolicy:
...if it sounds sarcastic - don't take seriously,
if it sounds dangerous - do not try this at home, or at all...
and if it offends you - just don't listen to it!
HASportAE86
IE Gutter Trash

4096 posts [84%]
Loma Linda CA

Re: I'm the founder and webmaster here... (irishtwincam) » Reply  Edit

All i could think of is the parents finding the cardboard box under the bed labeled "porn" and opening it up to find bootleg AE86 videos and being somewhat disappointed in me.

Email/Paypal "heyvanilladan@hotmail.com"

SwangBiz Chassis Products
http://forums.club4ag.com/zero...age=1
MFactory Longer T50 5th Gear Group Buy
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=113077
Loud Pipes Save Lives -Swangbiz

Honda Master Technician/ASE Master Technician

SW_NA6CE

73 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

Moto is an interesting guy . . . only corolla guy i have ever met who didn't want to talk about his car. i met him once and asked him to tell me about his ae86 (thinking he would tell me about some new project) and he told me to look at his website. Not your average car guy.

http://www.slidewaysonline.com/forums
http://www.slidewaysonline.com/kaiten/index.php
Moto-P

11371 posts [98%]
Southern California CA

Re: (SW_NA6CE) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by SW_NA6CE »
Moto is an interesting guy . . . only corolla guy i have ever met who didn't want to talk about his car. i met him once and asked him to tell me about his ae86 (thinking he would tell me about some new project) and he told me to look at his website. Not your average car guy.

It this a good thing?? Or a bad thing??

Moto Miwa
moto@club4ag.com

First  1 2 3 >  Last

» Return to Old Farts Talk - Nostalgia and things from long ago...