Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 Eric's Free SR5First  < 11 12 13 14 15 >  Last
Author Post
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (Grant) » Reply  Edit

Thanks Grant. When I read people were complaining it was too big for a mostly stock 4AGE, I knew it was right for me lol. I haven't fully unwrapped it, but I got all the parts out of the box and it's massive.
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

Got a big ol box. Wonder what's inside...

Wrote out my to-do list on the hood. Every time I cross something off, I wind up adding another section.

I did finish my PCV system. Both hoses go to a brass T and I have a filter on the vent side of the bootleg eBay catch can.

Dude helped a little, but he broke his Cars thing. Kept chewing on the steering wheel and shorted out the buttons. He's kinda bummed, but he'll get over it.

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Got my DMax hatch wing and some miscellaneous wiring bits to finish the fan and alternator. No pictures today, but I love the bootleg wing has a big "MADE IN CHINA" sticker in the middle. I'll leave that until I get it molded to the hatch and paint the whole car.
j1mb0

34 posts [100%]
Abilene Texas

Just read through the whole thread....great stuff! It has inspired me to swap my 4ac to something else lol
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (j1mb0) » Reply  Edit

Haha I saw your part out thread lol. 4AC makes a great little DD but I started to want more from it. I wanted more and it just couldn't give it to me lol. Put on my DMax wing. It doesn't fit for nothing lol. The bottom line fits good, but the front and sides are off. Oh well, it's a beater.

yellowsnow4free

303 posts [100%]

Quote, originally posted by Eric’sFreeAE86 »

Hey Eric, do you know what this metal rod is for on the side of the oil cooler?

I picked up a FC oil cooler from the junkyard a few weeks ago and the rod is broken.

Modified by yellowsnow4free at 4:16 PM 6/5/2012

Cutting up an AE86? Please me know! I need body panels!

Petition to Reinstate the CA 30 Year Smog Exemption

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (yellowsnow4free) » Reply  Edit

I think it's to hold one of the oil lines steady for assembly. It doesn't do anything really as far as we'll need. I still haven't installed mine yet lolzzz
driftzilla

1384 posts [100%]
Long Beach CA

» Reply  Edit

Text me if you want anything:

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=107833

<3

Why wrap it in plaid when you can spray it with 3M Sprayment and then just throw glitter on it? <VBG>

Evonbors@gmail.com

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (driftzilla) » Reply  Edit

Man that's not what I want to see. Driver side, are you ok? Let me know if you need anything, can't really ship a case of beer, otherwise I would.
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Did work today! I had a couple hours before work so:
Installed pinion seal
Installed drive shafts
Hung muffler section of exhaust
Removed rear springs

When I hung he muffler to check how it looked, it looks like it will hit the sway bar at regulations ride height with Megan orange springs and Camaro shocks. So I have to go lower so the axle won't touch the exhaust, or, worse yet, knock it off. So tomorrow i'll put the lowerer spring on, then hang the full exhaust and set the whole thing back on the ground. Plus my new seats should come in tomorrow, but I probably won't get to play with them until Tuesday.

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Unpacked my seats today. The way they were packaged, one seat base poked some little holes in the other seat, and I'm pretty bummed out. But I got em in a trade that benefited me most so I can't really complain. I couldn't install them because I could find Amy hardware in my garage that would fit in the rails. I did, however, dope up my rear end, then center it with the new suspension drop. Maybe tomorrow i'll put the mudflaps and exhaust on, and maybe even put the seats in.
whitespartian

978 posts [97%]

you got pm. (its not about a hooker)

will trade roll cage work for overfenders, flares, carbon/fiberglass hood,
give me a call, or text is best
drift warrior fabrication, clarksville Tn
Carl -(909)435-8206

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (whitespartian) » Reply  Edit

Did some stuff today. First I made a fake catylitic converter. My county has emission inspections. Since my car is pre-OBD2, they check 4 things: visually verify no check engine light (remove bulb), visually verify it has a cat, pressure test the gas cap (new) and plug a sniffer in the tailpipe while running. Some of the chemicals in the fuel system cleaning we do at work messes with the sensor and makes it usually pass. My 4AC had a carbon monoxide score or 0.0 lol.

Step one, steal heat shield off old cat. SR5 cats are longer than GTS, so I had to cut a section out of the middle so it would fit on my GTS cat-delete flex pipe. Then smushed it in a big vise to roll it a little better. Then finally secure it with some giant clamps.

And the finished product. On the car, it looks like the heat shield rattled and I just did a shade-tree fix!

Then I bled the clutch and installed my exhaust. It's a GReddy Ti-C from Rhys Millen Racing. It fit ok, it hangs kinda low in the middle, and the cool titanium tip hits the tow hook, so I gotta cut the hook off.

Finally, I put a set of mudflaps on and set my junk back on the ground. I am still waiting on the dipwads at Advanced to get me a water pump. If I wanted to pay and wait a week, I would've saved some money and ordered from Rock Auto.

Red

9661 posts [78%]

Paranoia alert:
"visually verify no check engine light (remove bulb), "
Unless they are morons, they should know that when you turn on the ignition key in a car, ALL the bulbs liught up to confirm they are working. So, the man sits down, turns on the key, sees you have no CEL and you've just flunked, he'll tell you to come back when it has been fixed.

"plug a sniffer in the tailpipe while running. Some of the chemicals in the fuel system cleaning we do at work messes with the sensor and makes it usually pass. My 4AC had a carbon monoxide score or 0.0 lol. "
I have a friend who used to throw in all sorts of things to clean his exhaust. If you've got a magic mix that works all the time...it would be nice to share it. But again, unless they are morons, if the guy sees a dead zero when a 25 year old car should be showing SOME emission level...and then says gee, there was no CEL...and then maybe runs a couple of emission checks at different speeds, or manually bypassing the EGR...

If they bust you for falsifying that stuff, and tampering with an emission system, that's a BIG ticket bust. If your county doesn't use dynos, and you know the guy who'll be inspecting it is a casual guy...more power to you.

Just saying, BIG ticket bust if you get caught and they figure out it was done intentionally.

--Original owner, '85 Corolla GTS. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150, or a Ford GT, in similar condition.
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (Red) » Reply  Edit

It is nowhere near as strict as you're thinking. The workers are near minimum wage state employees, they don't care. The first time I took my 86 through, it failed the sniffer. THE NEXT day I went to the same place and scored a 0 on one of the 3 numbers and greatly reduced the others. The engine is never turned off to verify the light works, OBD2 cars get plugged in, others just get a glance.

I can always fall back on antiquity tags, which is available to anything over 25 years old.

Red

9661 posts [78%]

Here we HAD antique and hostoric tags, then they drop antique and required (as most states do) that "historic" are used for display/exhibition only with a limit of 5000 miles per year on the vehicle, and no trips to the local 7-11 unles there's a car show there.<G>

But after 25 years they stop doing emissions, so YEA! I get the cheaper inspection and one less thing to worry about.

Sometimes I feel like Yossarian in Catch-22, every time I get near the limit on bombing missions, they raise the limit. This time, knock wood, I made it.

--Original owner, '85 Corolla GTS. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150, or a Ford GT, in similar condition.
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (Red) » Reply  Edit

Yeah there is a milage limit and it's restricted to weekends and car shows. But this isn't a daily driver by any means lol. I have only put 1500 miles on it in the 3.5 years I've had it. Of course the car was only running for about a year somewhere in the middle lol.
stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

» Reply  Edit

I really love the way the engine looks!
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (stupidstuff) » Reply  Edit

Thanks man, I'm hoping to get it crunked up this week!
grappletech

280 posts [100%]
Co

Hey man, sorry I couldnt help with the wheel... but your car is looking great. I have been trying to find more time for my car.

AE86 A.K.A Trouble!
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=97019
WTB: GTS seats. I need some ASAP!
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (grappletech) » Reply  Edit

It's cool man, I can barely find a day every couple weeks to mess with it lol. Tomorrow looks promising though.
TD86

52 posts [100%]
Carson CA

Just finished reading your build up till now just today! A very awesome build, almost literally a battle against time :3

How does one learn to take apart an engine and reassemble it? Through experience? I know theres a guide somewhere in the manual, but how do you know you're doing it correctly? If I ever get a chance to get an AE86 w/ a 4A-C/4AG in the future, theres a chance the engine will need an overhaul.. So I just want to know how I can learn this, besides classes.

Modified by TD86 at 3:08 AM 7/11/2012

The day when I get my own AE86 will come soon..
4A-C ohhh yeaaaaahh xD
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (TD86) » Reply  Edit

Thanks man. I have never done any of the stuff in thus thread before. I did my first head overhaul in the beginning of this thread. I did my first suspension rebuild somewhere in the middle, and now I'm finishing up my first complete engine build. I've also never painted a car, but that really shows lol. I know it seems like I'm always pressed for time, but that is because I am goal-driven. I set deadlines for myself to push me to accomplish things. First was to get the original engine going within a year, life happened so I extended that 6 months to my birthday. Got it running the week before and drove it that day. So my goal with the new engine was to be running and set up by 8-6 day (August 6) and hopefully at least be running by my birthday again. Well I missed that, birthday was a couple weeks ago, but I still have August 6 in sight.

Taking the stuff apart is easy, almost therapudic. Make sure you have a neat, clean, organized workspace. I bought a couple manuals, Haynes isn't as bad as people say, but the factory manual is a lot more in depth. One thing I read that REALLY stuck with me: Taka Aono said in Project Car: "remember your parts can never be too clean". So at the start of every project (head or whole engine) I lay out a fresh rubber mat on my work bench. I got a whole roll of it from a job a long time ago, and it keeps everything from rolling around and provides a soft work surface.

What really helps me in reassembly is how organized (read: anal) I am about disassembly. I arrange the cam caps in the exact order they came off, with the same bolts still set in the caps. I try to label as much as possible, each valve set gets its own plastic bag to hold the valve, keepers, lock, shims, buckets, everything then the bag is labeled I1, I2, etc.

As for tools, I don't have an amazing $30,000 Snap On chest with $100,000 worth of tools. A good mechanics set from Sears is really all you need. For Corollas, all you need is metric stuff lol, and nothing weird like Torx or Allen either, just 12-point sockets and wrenches. One place I would recommend spending a little extra is on a torque wrench. If the head, rod, or main bolts are improperly tightened, bad stuff can happen. I used it when I rebuilt a Land Rover engine for some friends. According to his manual, the manifolds can warp and crack if all the bolts aren't torqued exactly the same. So I got plenty of practice with it then!

But the best tool of all? Club4ag.

Red

9661 posts [78%]

Once you get the hang of wrenching, we're gonna teach you the real black arts of Toyota restoration. That's right, invisible weaving and darning! So you can properly mend any upholstery tears. And then, how to build a home loom and make your own vegetable dyes for your own wool, so you can replace seat farbic once it is beyond repair!

All necessary, and really ordinary, skills for the average Toyota repair-san back home. Honest. <VBG>

But that's for reminding me abot all those finishing dates, I just realized my car is having another birthday. I picked her up on 7/11 85. What's the right anniversary present for 27 years?!

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Come on, Red, this is common knowledge. Everybody knows for 27 years, he gift is sculpture. Your car needs a marble statue in its honor.
TD86

52 posts [100%]
Carson CA

27 years!! Thats crazy haha, I second the sculpture idea :D

And thanks for the reply Eric xD I agree with your opinion on Club4AG.. learned more stuff here in 1 week than several months worth lol

The day when I get my own AE86 will come soon..
4A-C ohhh yeaaaaahh xD
whitespartian

978 posts [97%]

» Reply  Edit

the only thing you need is a snap on 3/8 electric impact and a couple sets of harbor freight sockets. I got that impact and i look at my cornwell tool boxes like... what do I own all that crap for.

will trade roll cage work for overfenders, flares, carbon/fiberglass hood,
give me a call, or text is best
drift warrior fabrication, clarksville Tn
Carl -(909)435-8206

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (whitespartian) » Reply  Edit

Yeah you right, I have a janky electric impact gun that I use all the time. I'm too scrawny to bust loose anything major, but that little dude gets the job done!

I cut the tow hook off the back bumper so my exhaust hangs a little better now. It still only has like 3" of ground clearance under the axle though. The muffler tucks up under the body really well and the tip doesn't stick out from under the bumper hardly at all.

I hooked up the battery to check electric stuff right quick. I forgot I left the key on when I had the front end apart, so everything turned on and lit up. No sparks or smoke or blown fuses! The fan dis turn on and off with the ignition, so I got to figure that out. I just need to hook up the fuel pump and it'll be time to fire!

stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

Good luck
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Spun the engine with the spark plugs out and the fuel pump off. It turns super smooth and happy. That means 1) I didn't do too bad of a job building the engine and 2) I hooked up the electrics right! No fire and no loud clanks! So hopefully this weekend I will start the engine.
 First  < 11 12 13 14 15 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs