Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 Eric's Free SR5First  < 11 12 13 14 15 >  Last
Author Post
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

So the car is done-ish. The fuel pump doesn't seem to be picking up. I can hear it running (aftermarket inline electrics pump) and I put 2 gallons in the tank the other day. So I'm going to dump more gas in the tank and try again. If it still doesn't work then I'll pull the line off and blow that junk out.
Red

9661 posts [78%]

The GTS driver's manual (the one that came in your glove box<G>) says something like never let the tank go below "E" which means there's more than 3 gallons on the tank all the time. Apparently when there's less than three gallons in there, unspecified bad things can happen, including backfires.

And four big sumos will come to take your car away in the middle of the night.

--Original owner, '85 Corolla GTS. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150, or a Ford GT, in similar condition.
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (Red) » Reply  Edit

Ah that probably explains it then. I only put 2 gallons in an otherwise empty tank. No sumo's though, they know I'm trying so I got a pass!
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Fuel pump is dead. Removed tank, pick ups, fuel line, and pump. Everything is clear. The pump makes noise but doesn't pump anything. I even filled a clear hose with gas and clamped it to the pump and the level never moved.

So I need a new pump, and why be halfway? I need a fancy fuel pump, all -AN fittings and lines, new pick up, and new fuel level sender that actually works.

Red

9661 posts [78%]

FWIW, Bosch makes a complete OEM-style fuel pump replacement kit. Gaskets, filter sock, the whole deal. IIRC about $100 which made it one of the cheapest, certainly the cheapest from a brand name.

The fuel level sender? No, really, buy something generic from a marine supply store. The original senders in these cars were #1 Best Riceburner Quality. Part of that is because the tank is an odd shape, part is just Riceburner.

Gas up every 150-200 miles, or when the "I'm Gonna Leave You Stranded, Sucker!" light comes on.

--Original owner, '85 Corolla GTS. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150, or a Ford GT, in similar condition.
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Thanks Red, I was planning to go aftermarket for the sender and gauge. When I worked at Pep Boys I remember having a SunPro level sender and a matching gauge for less than 60 bucks. As for the pump, that's a great deal for an OEM FI pump but I need something in the neighborhood of 3-3.5psi for my carbs. Hmmmm. Looks like i'll roll over to Honest Charlie's and see what they have.
und-R-steer

8 posts [100%]
Hondo TX

Nice build, now that I can get a good close look at it.

Old School cool. ;)
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (und-R-steer) » Reply  Edit

Look who made it over to the dark side!
und-R-steer

8 posts [100%]
Hondo TX

click my user name and see how long I've really been here !

Old School cool. ;)
Red

9661 posts [78%]

Oh! Carbs! Right, I keep forgetting about that. AFAIK GM is still using the same in-tank fuel pump for carbs that they debuted on the Chevy Vega. (Shh!)

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Put in muh Holley pump and gas tank. I got the engines to cough and backfire a couple times. I reckoned it wasn't gettin enough fuel or spark or timing was off. Welp my shiney newish fuel pump regulator is pissin fuel from one of the outlets. I have a spare, so i'll try to switch it out and see what happens.
Red

9661 posts [78%]

"Welp my shiney newish fuel pump regulator is pissin fuel from one of the outlets."
I had a nameless and abused Detroit product once that seemed to think it would be cute to gush fuel up and out of the carb.

One of the many reasons I own fire extinguishers, and pull the pin from one and keep it around whenever I'm working of fuelish things.

And of course, a bag of marshmallows and sticks, in case the extinguisher lets me own.<G>

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Got it running tonight. Holy crap it's loud! First start it idled around 5,000 and hung there. I adjusted the throttles cable and settled it down a lot. I can move it more, but I started ti get real high cuz the car was running in the garage since it was raining outside. I got a lot of smoke coming off the header wrap, I don't think I washed it before I wrapped it. Oops oh well.

Got it settled down. I need some stronger throttles return springs, I have to POP the gas pedal to get it to drop to idle. But it's good. Happy day before 8-6 Day!

grappletech

280 posts [100%]
Co

» Reply  Edit

Thats great man, Im glad you got it almost where you want it

AE86 A.K.A Trouble!
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=97019
WTB: GTS seats. I need some ASAP!
whitespartian

978 posts [97%]

Re: (grappletech) » Reply  Edit

Dang I heard that thing start up all the way up here lol. congrats. I started the "vert" up for the first time today. its a good day to be an 86

will trade roll cage work for overfenders, flares, carbon/fiberglass hood,
give me a call, or text is best
drift warrior fabrication, clarksville Tn
Carl -(909)435-8206

stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

Sweet!
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (stupidstuff) » Reply  Edit

Thanks guys! I just have a couple little things to mess with, otherwise it's good to go. I would've driven it yesterday but it was raining and I couldn't put the hood on by myself.
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Went for a first drive today.

Made it almost 1/4 mile before the throttle return spring broke and the throttle pinned open at 8,000rpm. I cut the engine off and let the clutch out to kill the engine, then took it back out of gear and coasted down the hill looking for a place to pull over and reattach the spring. I couldn't get the key turned back to ON in time so the steering was jammed and I hit a bridge.

So we towed it back to the garage. The steering wheel is straight ahead here.

I took the wheel off, and I reckon I need a control arm huh?

stupidstuff

157 posts [100%]
The secret valley Ca

» Reply  Edit

At least the damage is not to bad. That control arm should be easy to find in the BST section. Made this mistake once before......... Lets just say lesson learned for me.
morgan

6446 posts [93%]
just be glad your not here, nj

» Reply  Edit

well that sucks a big...
at least its not bad, and you made it out unscathed. i hade this happen to me with my 20v swap the first time around, a few times, minus the curb. but my throttle cable was binding.

so...for the first 500 yards, how was the 7age?

haha cali...i got one of you 86's, and your not getting it back.
my 20v in an 86 swap guide
my mess of an 86...
*east coast toyotas forum*
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.
Red

9661 posts [78%]

On the grand scale of "suckiness", I think I'd be way happier replacing a control arm than a body panel.

Those locking ignition/steering columns really can be dangerous. If you ever get really cught up with the maintenance list, it is possible to open up the ignition cylinder and take the column lock out of the bottom of it. Of course, that makes it easier to steal too.

whitespartian

978 posts [97%]

Re: Eric's Free SR5 (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

kms drift in Nashville Sept 29th. be there

Carl -(909)435-8206

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (morgan) » Reply  Edit

Thanks guys. Honestly, I can't think of any way that could have ended better. I mean, redline second gear downhill, around some corners, with no shoulder, in the rain. I think I saved it pretty good.

The 7AGE pulls strong as hell! I will change from a 8k chip to a 7k chip since this little adventure blew coolant out of my radiator cap, so 7,000rpm is fine with me. One thing I did notice rift away is how smooth the new clutch is. I'm really happy with that.

The extent of the damages looks to be only the LCA, and Red you're right, I'd rather do the LCA than a fender any day. I mean shipping a fender vs shipping an LCA? No brainer!

yellowsnow4free

303 posts [100%]

Quote, originally posted by Eric’sFreeAE86 »

Yeah, I'd say you got pretty lucky there

I should really look up in my manual what causes the steering wheel to lock.

Might I ask why your rear license plate is all bent?

Cutting up an AE86? Please me know! I need body panels!

Petition to Reinstate the CA 30 Year Smog Exemption

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (yellowsnow4free) » Reply  Edit

So the speed cameras in Japan can't catch it when I'm doin midnight drifts in downtown Tokyo.
yellowsnow4free

303 posts [100%]

Quote, originally posted by Eric’sFreeAE86 »
So the speed cameras in Japan can't catch it when I'm doin midnight drifts in downtown Tokyo.

lol, nice

He's what you should use though:

http://www.streetfire.net/vide...8.htm

Cutting up an AE86? Please me know! I need body panels!

Petition to Reinstate the CA 30 Year Smog Exemption

Red

9661 posts [78%]

Re: Eric's Free SR5 (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

"I should really look up in my manual what causes the steering wheel to lock."
IIRC, Nothing fancy, there's a spring-loaded bar, just like the bolt on a home door lock, at the bottom end of the ignition cylinder cavity. If the cylinder is "off" a bit of the cylinder down there is rotated and the bar pops out, preventing the steering wheel from turning. If you take out the cylinder, as if you were going to change it, you can take out the bar and then nothing is there to lock up. When I had mine apart I was very tempted to do that because I don't like the idea of anything being able to LOCK my steering wheel possibly while the car is in motion, i.e. restarting on a highway. But then again, I've had theft problems in the past too, so I left it in.

whitespartian

978 posts [97%]

Re: Eric's Free SR5 (Red) » Reply  Edit

I used to do the liscence plate thing in my running from the cops days on my gsxr 1000. yeah when you drive a car that can break down at any moment (corolla) gotta dutch the steering lock

Carl -(909)435-8206

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: Eric's Free SR5 (whitespartian) » Reply  Edit

I got a couple swell bits in the mail: Cusco engines mounts and a carbon fiber hvac panel from Carbon Fiber Creations. I can't wait to put them on! Also I should have a control arm in the mail.

Carl I reckon i'll just ship your subframe back to you, that would be way cheaper than driving lol.

whitespartian

978 posts [97%]

» Reply  Edit

im not in a hurry. its for the rally car I'm gonna build in the off season. just don't get rid of it or ill have to fabricate one.

Carl -(909)435-8206

First  < 11 12 13 14 15 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs