Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 Eric's Free SR5First  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last
Author Post
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (t.k.) » Reply  Edit

Lol I got it, TK. Reply sent!
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: Eric's Free SR5 (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

So I'm broke and can't really afford to do much, so I went digging around my garage. Apparantly the Fel Pro head kit I got didn't come with two gaskets I need; the water pump gasket and the rear water pump heater line outlet gasket. Dang. But I can order the main water pump gasket for $0.99 plus my employee discount! But the dadblamed little one at the back of the water pump is $10!?!? Nuts to that, I'll use a straight sheet and cut one out myselft. You won't be able to see it anyways; otherwise I would spend the money.

But lucky me I'm off both of my jobs Thursday and Friday. So if the weather is nice, I'll finish the engine bay. A feller at work told me he's got a bunch of 00ga cable he'd sell me for $20 so it looks like I'll be moving to battery to the trunk after all!

What should I use to clean/polish the hood latch? It's all crustied up and looks bummy with the fresh painted radiator support and eventually an aluminum radiator behind it.

stephan

852 posts [93%]
trabuco canyon ca

i cut out a gasket with gasket paper for my oil pump and used gasket sealer, its been holding up great
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

Back from page 2, no updates really. I bought a new PCV valve and grommet, and a gas cap. The emissions testing center always checks the gas cap for leaks, so 5 bucks later I know I'll at least pass that part whenever I get it running. I still need 4 major components - carb kit, fuel pump, radiator, and tires - before I can drive the thing.

I did just win a factory service manual for 5 bucks on ebay. It's for a '87 FWD model; but it still has 4AC info, which is what I need.

Modified by Eric'sFreeAE86 at 8:37 PM 10/1/2009

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Drove out to North Carolina today and dropped off the back seat with a member, Dan. Cool guy; nice to see a running 86 in person!! Wife and I left through Deal's Gap and met up with another 86 owner from Knoxville with a slick flat black GTS on nasty Centerline wheels. I'm jealous. I have to get a set of those dish wheels now.
ab86

164 posts [100%]
Los Angeles ca

are you going to rebuild the bottom end?
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (ab86) » Reply  Edit

Probably not. The previous owner rebuilt the bottom of his 4AC Nova at about the same milage as this car and saw it was a waste of time. He was very meticulous in his maintenance and it shows. The cross hatching is still visible in the cylinders and there wasn't a single sliver of metal shaving in the oil when I drained it. With the head off, the crank spins by hand. This engine's problems were above the head gasket.

But unfortunately, this build is on hold until I can start and finish my 5SFE 'build' for my daily status Camry. Radiator is busted and the timing belt is waaay past due. And seeing as how the timing belt is the most common cause of failure for this motor, I reckon I oughtta do some major maintenance since I'll be bustin around in it for a looong time. Be on the lookout for a Camry 5SFE ATX build thread!

ab86

164 posts [100%]
Los Angeles ca

I have some tokico blues for that camry of yours if you interested and eibach lowering springs for about 1.25in drop. Theyre brand new never used. Ill let them go for cheap.
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (ab86) » Reply  Edit

For a 1997? Hell yeah!
driftzilla

1384 posts [100%]
Long Beach CA

» Reply  Edit

hahahahaha, radiator pictures eric? hahahaha

Why wrap it in plaid when you can spray it with 3M Sprayment and then just throw glitter on it? <VBG>

Evonbors@gmail.com

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (driftzilla) » Reply  Edit

I just gave on online beat down to the guy that sold it to me. Fans installed on the lower perches and double you tea eff?!?! The upper and lower tanks are shifted about an inch away from each other.

Using a tape measure as a straight edge, you can see how the core has a bend to it.

On the bright side, I did replace the belts and hoses and clean off the engine so I can find my oil leak. Looks like it's the valve cover, maybe the cam seal. Also, I'll take some measurements, but these fans look like they'd be great to fit over a Civic radiator for an 86. I'll look in to that.

But since the trans cooler runs through the bottom tank of the radiator, I spilled AFT in the catch pan with the coolant, so I couldn't reuse that coolant, so I wound up wasting almost 2 gallons.

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

I sent pictures of the radiator to the seller. He said (paraphrasing here) it's obviously defective, but he'd like to file it as a claim against the shipping company. He wants me to beat it up and send pictures to him with the box all ripped up, too. I told him that was unethical and I want my money back. If he refuses, Paypal will love to hear about this. What a crook.
t.k.

1372 posts [97%]
ROFL ahaha

» Reply  Edit

Glad to see your still working on the sr5 lol

I woulda junked it for a civic XD

--not really

I just fixed mine too.

"I love it--but its a riceburner, not supercar. Doesn't bother me if someone calls it that, I figure it is also a good $20,000 cheaper than even a cheap BMW.<G>"
~Red

Eric’sFreeAE86 on the FT86
"Yeah Toyota's been carrying this baby for like 5 years. They'll come out rusted and broken. "

"A 4cyl is all u need to scare u 5hitless in a street rolla."
~jinx

AE86 FSM

http://www.aeu86.org/index/tec...=5158

props to 84hatch

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

I gotta finish fixing my Camry, then I can go back to fixing my Corolla lol! I'm in a kinda unique situation since I was given the Corolla by my family, I can't really get rid of it; even though I've already gotten decent offers for it as it sits right now.
driftzilla

1384 posts [100%]
Long Beach CA

Quote, originally posted by Eric’sFreeAE86 »
I sent pictures of the radiator to the seller. He said (paraphrasing here) it's obviously defective, but he'd like to file it as a claim against the shipping company. He wants me to beat it up and send pictures to him with the box all ripped up, too. I told him that was unethical and I want my money back. If he refuses, Paypal will love to hear about this. What a crook.

wowww... professionalism is just out the window nowadays

Why wrap it in plaid when you can spray it with 3M Sprayment and then just throw glitter on it? <VBG>

Evonbors@gmail.com

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Yeah tell me about it. I think he's just going to give me a refund; so at least I can take the core down to the recycling center and get a buck or two.
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Just a small update, I got the dizzy in the head at the correct placement as per the FSM, so the head is done!!

Now I lack:
rebuild the carb - found a kit in stock locally!!
finish the intake and exhaust manifolds
clean the block
finish removing the PS pump/bracket/hoses
clean the block some more
finish painting the engine bay
install new fuel pump and run new lines

After all that, we oughtta have 'er running! But not running for long, since I don't have a radiator.

driftzilla

1384 posts [100%]
Long Beach CA

» Reply  Edit

go Eric!

Evonbors@gmail.com

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Oh and my daily driver Camry is now officially steam-powered. Old radiator leaks even worse now, and a replacement hasn't been sourced just yet; so it just belches steam from the front. At least I can top it off at work for free.
Jeonsah

1814 posts [95%]
Co

» Reply  Edit

what u gonna do about the body of the car?

WTB AE86 Best Motoring International Vol. 42. Pm if you have it!
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (Jeonsah) » Reply  Edit

Forget about it for the time being.
Jeonsah

1814 posts [95%]
Co

» Reply  Edit

you should atleast take care of the rust areas so they arent exposed all winter.

WTB AE86 Best Motoring International Vol. 42. Pm if you have it!
driftzilla

1384 posts [100%]
Long Beach CA

» Reply  Edit

ashes to ashes, dust to dust, slam that sh!t now and forgot all that rust!

Evonbors@gmail.com

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Yeah I'm going to work on that soon. Evan that's a great mantra to live by lol!

I got a carb kit for the stock carb today, so hopefully one of my off days this week I can rebuild it. I have to be a carpenter first; re-do the front door of my house with a custom threshold and put up some drywall.

touge_g35

1779 posts [98%]
lancaster ca

» Reply  Edit

swweeet build man, im gonna start my free build thread too

My wolfpack
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=101082

My website, click on this link for my motor sports photography samples.
http://www.likhoun.com

t.k.

1372 posts [97%]
ROFL ahaha

» Reply  Edit

Any recent pics?

"I love it--but its a riceburner, not supercar. Doesn't bother me if someone calls it that, I figure it is also a good $20,000 cheaper than even a cheap BMW.<G>"
~Red

Eric’sFreeAE86 on the FT86
"Yeah Toyota's been carrying this baby for like 5 years. They'll come out rusted and broken. "

"A 4cyl is all u need to scare u 5hitless in a street rolla."
~jinx

AE86 FSM

http://www.aeu86.org/index/tec...=5158

props to 84hatch

GinoX

1465 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

Man, I am being remembered of my first 4A that I hotrodded with a set of Mikuni 40s sidedrafts and a reground cam of 288 degree total duration and .410" of lift.

There were lots more done but that's for later....

;)
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Sorry no recent updates. I haven't really gotten anything done; other than tearing down my carb to find it's broken. A friend in the next state over (Dan) said he'd send me a spare 4AC carb so I'm waiting on that to continue the rebuild.

I still need to finish up the engine bay, then I can put the head back on at least.

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

I removed some stuff today. As a result, I now have up for sale:
Black front/middle carpet
HVAC blower box w/sensors
HVAC AC box w/sensors
HVAC heater box w/sensors
HVAC control panel w/cable controls
Misc. vent ducts
Power steering pump w/bracket

I got stuck on removing the entire dash, but I got out the main heavy crap, so I'm going to put it all back together later. I couldn't get the gauge cluster surround/cover off with the steering wheel in the way, and I didn't want to drop the column. Plus I couldn't figure out how to get the main dash pad off? I found a couple brass-colored bolts in the center and passenger side, but since I couldn't get the gauge surround off, I gave up. I did figure out the crazy light/wiper switch removal procedure though. 17mm socket and man-hands did the trick. Who needs a manual?

My carb should be on the way, and I need to put the interior (or lack of) back together. My taillight panel is still rusting away slowly and I really really want to replace that whole panel. Anybody cutting up a car?

JDMautomatic4AC

116 posts [100%]
Southern California

Quote, originally posted by Eric’sFreeAE86 »
I got stuck on removing the entire dash, but I got out the main heavy crap, so I'm going to put it all back together later. I couldn't get the gauge cluster surround/cover off with the steering wheel in the way, and I didn't want to drop the column. Plus I couldn't figure out how to get the main dash pad off? I found a couple brass-colored bolts in the center and passenger side, but since I couldn't get the gauge surround off, I gave up. I did figure out the crazy light/wiper switch removal procedure though. 17mm socket and man-hands did the trick. Who needs a manual?

My carb should be on the way, and I need to put the interior (or lack of) back together. My taillight panel is still rusting away slowly and I really really want to replace that whole panel. Anybody cutting up a car?

Dropping the column is two 14mm nuts. Very easy.

Make sure you get the 10mm bolt all the way on the right, under the mini-vent. 'Man-hand' the mini-vent. If you have an intact clock bezel, don't bother trying to take it out, as it will more than likely shatter, but there is a 10mm bolt under the bezel that holds the dash to the chassis. You'll have this annoying little plastic clip under the dash that holds it to the chassis. I lightly pushed the whole dash up and down to pop the clip loose...

DON'T USE A SCREWDRIVER!!! On these old dashboards, they tend to crack if you pry or poke at them!!!

i'm on a money makin mission
but i party like a rockstar
i'm flyin down 20 lookin good in my hot car
you know them hoes be at my show
grabbin where my chain go
i'm tryna rap & hold my pants
but these hoes won't let my thang go
 First  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs