Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 Eric's Free SR5First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last
Author Post
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: Eric's Free SR5 (Red) » Reply  Edit

Thanks a lot, Red! I do have a new radiator and I'm looking for hoses. I have new belts, too. I've already replaced the thermostat; and got a new Weber carb instead of rebuilding my old one. I've replaced everything that has to do with the fuel system: tank, lines, pump, pickups, even the gas cap. I've got all the brakes dissassembled right now; I've got a new brake master cylinder and proportioning valve. The lines I can clean, but I'll have to rebuild the calipers and rear wheel cylinders.

I will flush the clutch fluid out as well. Also, I have a 5 gallon bucket of 80W-90 Valvoline dope that I'll use to flush the manual trans and the rear diff. Shocks will have to be ok for now, but I will upgrade that in the future. I don't want $2500 coilovers, just good slightly lower suspension that handles well.

Restomod, I think I put that somewhere in this thread already.

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: Eric's Free SR5 (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

As Red mentioned above, all your fluids will break down over time. My car has sat for over ten years, so here's what all has gone bad that's fluid related:

Coolant: killed the radiator and thermostat. I was able to clean everything else

Fuel: killed everything. Tank is shot, lines are stopped up, carb had to be rebuilt.

I haven't dissassembled the brakes yet, but with the car up on jack stands, only one wheel turns. So I know the brakes are froze up all around. Also I haven't flushed the manual trans or rear end yet; of course I'll post pics of whatever falls out.

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

I got a lot done yesterday. I put the manifolds on, which was a major pain. I wound up taking the exhaust almost all the way off so i could get the lower flange to line up. The exhaust is still hanging down, but i'm going to replace the act and get a straight pipe anyways. I'm going to have to figure out the throttle cable though. I painted the brake booster right quick and bolted on the new master cylinder. Thanks Max! I'm still waiting for a new proportioning valve, which should be here any day. I also threw my ghetto radiator in so i can flush the crap out of the block, before i put the baller mishimoto in. Now it's snowing today?
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

75 degrees today! I fixed my busted water pump stud; but if anyone happens to have a complete 4AC water pump let me know. I flushed the radiator and engine coolant out. No leaks anywhere except the old radiator; bottom tank has cracks in it. Oh well, I've got a Mishimoto to put it so it's all good. I just gotta figure out a fan and grab some hoses, then the cooling system will be done. Then I took on the brakes. Got the wheels off ok, rusted on but not stuck too bad. Front calipers came off easy enough. Hubs spin super smooth, but I may still replace the bearings anyways. As luck would have it, the Hawk HPS ceramic pads I got on the cheap from Tire Rack are the right ones! Same for the Brembo rotors, so that's exciting. The rear drums are another story. I used 2 8x1.25 bolts to pull the drums off the rear end, but all I managed to do was move them a little before I stripped the drums' holes. So I still gotta get the drums off before I can rebuild the rear brakes; since the rear passenger side is completely locked up, it's kinda important. No pics today, but I did make a pretty good mess in the driveway.

Oh yeah and I got a new brake proportioning valve, too. Since mine had some rust in it, I went on and got a new (to me) one.

trixR4kids

151 posts [95%]
wake forest nc

this has came really far, I remember when this was first posted!
Cartuline

6 posts [100%]
Cape Coral Florida

Hello Eric,

Very nice work you've done so far with your SR5 4AC. Keep it up! I'm a big believer that any engine can be modified if done right.. I've seen 4AC's in PR out-performed 4AGE in the 1/4 mile!
Anyway, I do have a question; I bought a new carb for my 4AC and would like to eliminate ALL unnecessary smog/emission/vacuum hoses, etc. Can you tell me which ones are they, and which one i need to keep?

Thank you,

Cartuline

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: Eric's Free SR5 (Cartuline) » Reply  Edit

Well, the stock carb needs all of those things to run properly. It uses vacuum pressure from the little lines to control air/fuel and idle and choke and stuff. So you can't just yank 'em all off. You can, however, use a Weber carb that doesn't have any of those things on it at all. Webers for the 4AC only have one vacuum port, which you would use for the vacuum advance on the distributor. As you can see from the most recent pictures I put up, using a Weber carb instead of the stock one really empties out the engine bay quite nicely.
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

I started to install my Mishimoto radiator today. It won't fit. Should I bend the edges of the radiator on the sides or trim back the sides of the car's front opening?
Jeonsah

1814 posts [95%]
Co

» Reply  Edit

return the radiator and get a koyorad!

WTB AE86 Best Motoring International Vol. 42. Pm if you have it!
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (Jeonsah) » Reply  Edit

I might, but I reckon I can trim the shell of the car back just a smidge so it fits in there snug. One thing after another. But I did finish my front brakes. I cleaned and re-greased the bearings, replaced the seals, and put the Brembo drilled rotors and now-discontinued Hawk HPS Ceramic pads. Now you can only get HPS or Ceramic; not both, like I got clearance from Tire Rack for $7. I still gotta put the front uprights back on, then that will be done. I need to rebuild the rear brakes since the passenger side is locked up; but that will be easy, new shoes and new wheel cylinders.
leonmyster

130 posts [100%]
Kansas City Kansas

Modified by leonmyster at 10:02 PM 3/31/2010
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: Eric's Free SR5 (leonmyster) » Reply  Edit

I've done a tiny bit lately; not much really. I looped the power steering rack; cut the end off one hose, tightened the two fittings down and filled both with PS fluid, then put the loop hose on and spun the steering wheel a few times. The front end is off the ground since my front uprights are on my workbench currently.

I finisded reassembling my front brakes. I now have Brembo drilled rotors and Hawk HPS Ceramic pads up front. I haven't put the uprights back on since I just ordered some springs from SuperStarLevin; so I'll wait until those get here. I also still haven't done the rear brakes since I can't get to the service holes in the backing plate to release the brake shoes with the axle in its normal position. I'm waiting on the springs before I drop the axle, then I'll do both things at one time. I also ordered a Megan adjustable panhard bar so I can re-center the axle after the springs go on.

I took the stock radiator back out and scrapped it since it was leaking from the bottom. Sad to see an all-metal radiator be bad but oh well, it was hella old and aftermarket.

I also seperated the coolant tank from the washer tank. The washer tank exploded, but the coolant tank seems like it's still good, so I filled it with water and installed it. If it still has water in it next time I go over there, then it's still good. If it's cracked more or empty, I'll have to use a Jack Daniel's bottle or something.

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Today i trimmed the front of the car's shell to fit the Mishimoto radiator. That sucked but i got it in and it fits ok. I'm actually suprised at how poor of a fit it is, but oh well it's done now. I have to take the upper water outlet pipe to a macine shop though. See i removed the vacuum control thing that goes in one of the two spots on the pipe. Now i have a fan switch compliments of a dead honda civic at the junkyard, it's just a different thread than the hole i've got, and i don't have any taps that big so a machine shop ought to be able to knock that out in a second. I also dropped the rear axle. I pulled the rear shocks, springs, and lateral bar to gain access to the rear drums' service holes so i can release the brake shoes. Well guess what? They are STILL stuck. So i said screw it and left. I reckon i might can cut the pins off the back plate that hold the shoes, maybe then i can pull the drums off with the shoes and wheel cylinders inside still i dunno.
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Anyways i've got ordered some new springs and lateral rod, and a Cressida shift knob.
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Today I put spring compressors on the front springs to lower them via preload, and then I installed the complete front uprights back on the car. I'm waiting on some new (to me ) calipers and brake lines before the fronts are officially done. You can see the clamp at the top of the picture. I've got Brembo drilled rotors, Hawk HPS Ceramic pads, and I rebuilt the bearings with Valvoline Durablend synthetic blend grease. I still think I might get shiney new grease caps from the dealership since they're only a couple bucks each. The pads I got on closeout from Tire Rack for like 7 bucks, and I think they're discontinued.

I also got an old Cressy shift knob, but I forgot to take a picture of it. It fits great and looks/feels way better than the sticky old one.

Finally, I threw on a brand new Megan Racing lateral rod. I got it for $41 new off ebay. Win. It's good quality, the spacers for the axle side have no play at all. It's a good part I gotta say. It is awful heavy though, probably double the stock bar, but it looks way cooler and it's adjustable so it's better. It's not adjusted yet, I still have to put the lowered springs in so I can center it up.

Finally, here's the engine bay now. This is basically done. I still have to get a fan shroud and electric fan all hooked up, otherwise it's finished. What do you think?

UndefinedProspect

322 posts [75%]
Raleigh NC

» Reply  Edit

nice! your build is coming along really well man

http://hero-style.blogspot.com/
Red

9661 posts [78%]

Looking good. Who supplied the drilled Brembo rotors?

--Original owner, '85 Corolla GTS. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150, or a Ford GT, in similar condition.
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: Eric's Free SR5 (Red) » Reply  Edit

Forgive me but i honestly don't remember! i tried to give credit for the parts i've gotten along the way, but i honestly have forgotten now. I got them from a member here if that helps.
UndefinedProspect

322 posts [75%]
Raleigh NC

» Reply  Edit

I just realized you are in TN. Come to Import Alliance this summer, I'm driving my sr5 5 hours!! haha

http://hero-style.blogspot.com/
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (UndefinedProspect) » Reply  Edit

Yeah as soon as i get it finished good enough i'm going to put some miles on it. First trip will be a shake down at Deal's Gap for sure. Gotta get some tires before that though. I'll definitely try to get some shows around the area. Being in Chattanooga i'm close to ATL and Nashville and Knoxville.
Jeonsah

1814 posts [95%]
Co

» Reply  Edit

When i see your build, i can only think about 1 thing. The smile your gonna put on that family's face that you got the car from hahaha. Keep it up man!

WTB AE86 Best Motoring International Vol. 42. Pm if you have it!
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (Jeonsah) » Reply  Edit

Oh yeah man i can't wait to take my father-in-law for a spin. He was telling me the other day how much he loved driving and drifting it lol!
Cartuline

6 posts [100%]
Cape Coral Florida

Re: (Jeonsah) (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

Hello Eric,

I've noticed you've gone a long and pretty nice way already..Keep it up!
I do have one question for you; is there any reason why you left the EGR assembly connected? I would figured that after the Weber addition you would've eliminate it.

I will be posting pics of my build soon...

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (Jeonsah) (Cartuline) » Reply  Edit

I left it on because I haven't been to the big fastener store to find a bolt that'll plug the hole in the exhaust manifold. The EGR valve is not hooked up; nor is it functional. I will remove it as soon as I source a super big bolt.

A little update today. I got a rear hardware kit for the brakes and some wheel cylinders. I also FINALLY got the passenger side drum off. I wound up having to cut the face off of the drum. Then I was able to use a pry bar to loosen the adjuster enough to hammer the stuck shoes loose from the drum. The front shoe was like fused to the drum. But I ordered new drums today, hopefully they'll be here soon and I can button up the rear end. I'm still waiting on my new front calipers; hope they haven't gotten lost.

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Busy day today!

1) I finally finished my water outlet mod! Baller! Ok, 86's have a thermal fan hub rather than an electric fan; which isn't cool and adds too much weight to the poor 4AC. So I want to add an electric fan. Aftermarket fan switch kits are expensive when you're broke, so I got a fan switch from a late 90's Civic single cam from the junkyard for a fiver. Next, I had to source a giant tap to make it fit. I love me some Harbor Freight! I got a huge tap and die set with a 20% off coupon. The one I needed was M18x1.5; which is bigger than what any part store carries. So BANG! Done!! I tested it on my mom's stove top, it pops open right at 180*F holler! I just need a fan and wire it up. Honda switch on the left, Toyota temp plug on the right.

Installed without wires yet:

Next I made some TRD Cool Juice. One gallon distilled water, one gallon OE Toyota cranberry juice. Dump 'em both in a big (CLEAN!!) Tidy Cat jug and you've got 2 gallons of factory fill coolant. Sweet!

Then I put on my new (to me) caliper and SS lines. One line is pinched and looks like it leaked and all the rubber grommets are kinda cruddy. But at least the pistons in the calipers are super smooth and clean. I reckon I'll have to grab some new brake lines.

Next I changed the oil and the rear diff fluid. Hook up? Check. 7 quarts 20w-50 Synthetic. See the blue 5-gallon bucket in the background? 80w-90 dope son.

Old dope and oil. The clear jug is the dope; I drained the diff, refilled it, and drained it again.

A little test fitting. Suspension is at full droop. I have decided these wheels are too heavy and I want to sell or trade them.

Rear compressed here:

Cressy shift knob! Interior is no where near done.

Done for today!

I'm waiting on my new drums to come in so I can be all done with the rear end. I still think I might cut some coils out the springs for now. I know that'll blow my shocks; which will just give me reason to upgrade them.

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Got two things today: 1) promoted at my job and a raise, 2) new Brembo drums!!!

Hachigo87Coupe

229 posts [100%]
Williamsport PA

Looking good, glad to see you've stuck with this project after all this time here.. What're you thinking of going with for a wheel setup instead of those in the previous post? I might be interested in them if you're thinking of ditching them..

1989 MR2 T-Bar: Daily Driver - For Sale!
1987 Supra turbo: Weekend toy
1985 SR5 coupe: GTSR5 Project
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: Eric's Free SR5 (Hachigo87Coupe) » Reply  Edit

well i haven't decided what wheels to run just yet, but i'm open to most anything since i have to buy tires anyways. Shoot me an offer via instant message. They're a great fitment for sure.
leonmyster

130 posts [100%]
Kansas City Kansas

looping the power steering around like that. does it make it like a manual steering? any side affects? where did you learn that from? keep up the good work. this build inspired me to build mine 4ac but unfortunately, it was gonna cost me too much so i just bought a 90 gts car instead for the 4age. i want to see this thing done.
 First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs