Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 Eric's Free SR5First  1 2 3 4 5 >  Last
Author Post
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Eric's Free SR5 Reply  Edit

Like my name suggests, I'm Eric and I got this '86 SR5 for free. The story goes it was my father-in-law's wife's ex-husband's who bought it for her daughter brand new. I think. It's confusing the history of it, but it's been in the family somehow or other since new; even has the bill of sale and owner's manual in the glove box.

Well, Easter of 2 years ago, my G/F at the time took me over to her dad's for lunch to meet the extended family. We pull up and I just about wrecked my MazdaSpeed 6 when I saw the red hatch in the lower driveway; between a dead old boat and a dead old Suburban. I begged and pleaded to get the thing. No no no they told me, it belongs to so-and-so and you can't have it.

Fast forward to last X-mas. Who draws my name? So-and-so sister-in-law that I reckon is the rightful owner. So she says I can have it! Awesome!

Now I just gotta get it running... It's been parked for over 10 years by now.

1986 SR5 4AC 5-speed red hatch, all original. Father-in-law told me it quit running about 9 years ago and he didn't bother fixing it cuz he didn't have the time and had another car to drive anyways.

No rust, just clear coat peeling. No major dings, no dents. Driver's turn signal was busted. Mold/mildew growing on the lower sections of it.

Even GTS's don't have twin tape decks!

Filthy dirty. Disassembly has found 3 major oil leaks; more on that later.

This is how it was when I first started messing with it. Things have been tough financially for my me and my wife. She lost her job in February, and I got laid off 3 months later. We haven't had insurance for months now, and extra spending money isn't really coming in. But I can still do small things, a few at a time, to get this thing back on the road.

That's the introduction, next I'll post what all goodies I found once I started working on it. Keep in mind "parked for 10 years".

danyennis

404 posts [99%]
Waycross georgia

» Reply  Edit

wow, great find man. good luck with the progress. what way are you going with it? GT-S swap,20valve,4agze, KA, SR, 3SGTE. either way you go you cant go wrong. i know you just want to get it drivable right now but what i mean is whats the long term plans for it. daily driver, drift, or show?

great find man, say bye bye money and get ready to get poor.

Modified by danyennis at 8:50 PM 7/8/2009

karate_crimson

8228 posts [89%]
Southern CA

Re: (danyennis) » Reply  Edit

all original goodness.
Jeonsah

1814 posts [95%]
Co

» Reply  Edit

niiice man. pretty good find

WTB AE86 Best Motoring International Vol. 42. Pm if you have it!
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: (danyennis) » Reply  Edit

Thanks guys! My plan is to go resto-mod; to steal a hot rod term. Like just about everyone here, I started looking for 20v's right away, gotta get more power! Power is everything, right? Nope, not for me. I feel that a lightly modded, well set-up 4AC will be just as fun (and considerably cheaper) than a 20v or 16v swap. I know this is Club4AG and not 4AC, but I finally decided to keep the car mostly original. A motor swap just isn't in the cards for me.

I have already had an insanely fast car in the 2006 MazdaSpeed 6 #1169 I had for a couple years. Great car, 272hp 280tq, AWD, LSD, all stock it took down almost everything I lined up with. I added a CAI; dyno proven 40tq gain, which is nuts I know. Matter of fact, pick up the latest issue of Import Tuner and they mod one in their Power Pages section. Mine was a 2006-only optional Black Cherry Metallic with the Grand Touring package: everything but GPS.

But is speed everything? Really? Not to me. A good car has to look good, corner well, it has to handle and be comforable to a point. No I didn't need the heated leather seats in the MS6, but it was cool to have them! 0-60 in 5.6s is great and .91G on a skidpad is always fun. But think about this: new Potenza tires were over $1200. New clutch: $5-600. New brakes: $100 for pads, $300 for rotors. That thing beat itself to death with its own performance. Look at all these 20v guys, crazy performance numbers, but how often do they break down? GZE's are the same way; you have to have the cash to maintain a high performance vehicle.

Basically, I am a "slow is the new fast" kinda guy. Case in point, this stock '01 Golf. Probably the most fun car I've ever owned. 115hp 2.0L SOHC 8V motor with a 5-speed tranny. Slow as all get out, but sticky Kumho 235 wide tires on super light 16" wheels made it a blast to drive.

So basically, my long-term goal is a quick car that handles well. Lightweight and balance are necessities, while brute power takes a back seat to driver skill, and the car's overall feel is the top priority instead of rare JDM bits.

Modified by Eric'sFreeAE86 at 8:53 AM 7/11/2009

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: Eric's Free SR5 (Eric'sFreeAE86) » Reply  Edit

But I guess I better keep my own ramblings out and just stick to the build of the actual car!

Ok, I'm keeping this stuff in order; although most of it has happened months ago lol!

I put in a battery, new plugs, and changed the oil. I put a wrench on the crank pulley to see if the motor will even turn. It wasn't stuck, so I put all that stuff on. The engine would spin and spin and spin. Good news is the starting system is good; relays/solenoids/starter motor all are good. Bad news is it wouldn't fire. So I've got 1) no spark, 2) no fuel, 3) no air, 4) no compression. Dang.

Ok, one at a time: No spark. I have replaced basically the entire distributor. New cap, rotor, coil, plugs and wires.

No fuel. This was a big one. What does gasoline do over time? It breaks down. It's also corrosive to metal as it breaks down; especially if any moisture happens to find its way in the tank. I drained the fuel tank, and I'll post pics of what came out later. Suffice it to say it looked like Tang instead of gas. Worst part is, old gas wasn't all that came out of the tank; pieces of the tank itself had rusted and flaked off. My first WTB thread! Evan (driftzilla) in SoCal turned me on to a tank he had, fuel level sender and all. I yanked out the old tank and use it for a wheel chock cuz that's all it's good for. I still need to blow out all the fuel lines before I put the new one in, just haven't yet.

No air. In a motor as simple as the 4AC, just taking off the intake above the carb solved that. The carb is opening with the throttle, so it's getting air.

No compression. Big problem. Initial compression check showed 0psi in two cylinders and under 30psi in the other two. Very much not good. Could be stuck valves, leaking piston rings, blown head gasket.

This is where I sorta gave up. Engine needs a lot of love, and a swap is too exspensive. A few months later, I got laid off and got a huge severance! So I got back into the 86 with a running start. Fresh brakes and roll cage bought up in no time!

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Ok, so no fuel, spark, air, or compression. Well, fuel is basically solved by a new tank and clean lines. Spark is basically solved by new everything from the dizzy to the plugs. No air is basically solved by the carb being opened.

No compression? Big deal. I took off the valve cover and could tell there were too many valves open at one time. They were open cuz they were stuck open. There goes the compression right there; right back out the motor.

I really lucked out and convinced my folks a FelPro head kit would make a good birthday present. They agreed and I pulled the head off. 3 hours start to finish and it was off. I cleaned it up a little, but it's in pretty good shape. Yes some valves are stuck open like I thought. I also found a lot of other small problems, too.

Exhaust manifold gasket leaking.

Some build up, but nothing too bad really. A good bath and it'll be good as new!

Oh yeah I forgot! What does coolant do after 10 years? It breaks down, too! Awesome!! Luckily most of it is just gummy residue and is coming off fine. I will need to flush the block though. I have already bought a used GTS radiator with fan and shroud to replace mine; since it's kind junky inside too.

So now the head is off. I discovered it was leaking oil from both the dizzy seal and the fuel pump seal. The valve cover was also leaking oil. The firewall is nasty from all the oil and dirt from years of leaking. Nasty. Luckily, this FelPro head set comes with all new gaskets and seals for all that stuff!! And yes the exhaust manifold is still attached to the cross pipe. The head came off easily with it still in place.

The engine itself is actually in pretty good shape. Cylinder #4 looks good as new! #2...not so much. Note the head gasket is still on in these pics.

#2 - I'm told this amount of build up is most likely caused by a long term misfire.

#3 - blowned head gasket! Bye bye compression in #3 and #4.

#4 - super clean! Some oil/fuel/sweat dripped in there when the head came off. You can still see the crosshatching even! Not bad after 170k miles.

Now here it is as of today. I have taken off the emissions junk, as I plan to run a Weber 32/36 kit. I have removed the washer/overflow tanks too.

I have stripped the interior up to the front carpet. Lots of members here have graciously agreed to feed my 86 habit by buying things!

Jeonsah

1814 posts [95%]
Co

» Reply  Edit

good progress. good job keeping us posted. Keep it going.

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Today I'm going to get a little done on the car. I plan on finishing stripping the head and taking it to work to get cleaned up. Then I'll go blow out the fuel lines and mount the fuel tank. I also got my GTS radiator and fan and shroud yesterday!

Plus I won a set of scuzzy lookin Centerline knockoffs off ebay for fifty bucks! No more 13"s for me! I'll be ballin big 14" rollers!

Jeonsah

1814 posts [95%]
Co

» Reply  Edit

hahaha thats cool

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Had a little work day today, got a few things done. I finished stripping the head. It is now one bare block of metal in my backseat; gonna take it to work and clean it good.

I pulled all the valves out and put them in individual baggies with their respective parts and labeled them. That way nothing gets lost or mixed up. For the most part, they were in pretty good shape. Intake valve on cylinder #3 was the worst!!!

Here are the combustion chambers. Of course #2 looks bad since it was apparantly misfiring from all the build up on the piston top.

Remember when coolant breaks down and evaporates it gets nasty? MMMMMM...thermostat...

And rear/inner water pump housing. Took a rubber mallet to get the water neck off; the gaskets were terrible. I finally got 'em all scraped off though. Before:

Went back over at my in-laws' house after I finished playing with the head. This is what gasoline looks like after sitting for 10 years. Awesome huh?

And inside the tank, you can see all the rust flakes just piled up. This tank is ruined, and so is the fuel level sender. Luckily I was able so salvage the filler neck.

Big thanks to Evan (driftzilla) for hooking me up with his old tank/sender. I put that sucker in today finally! I used carb cleaner spray to clear out the 3 lines from the engine bay to the tank. One eventually blew through, the return line I believe. I had trouble with the other two. I think some bugs made a nest inside one tube, the other seems to have something blocking it inside. The fuel supply line is one of the two stopped up, but I have plenty of soft fuel line to run from the tank to the filter so I'll just make a new hose. It's probably full of gummed up broke down gas and dirt.

I also got my "GTS" radiator/fan/shroud. Hopefully I'll get that straightened out soon.

t.k.

1372 posts [97%]
ROFL ahaha

» Reply  Edit

Your right man haha it is a b!tch when you don't know much about cars, yet your working on one. Good luck man, at least you got a FREE car. I'm jealous haha I want a hatchback badly, but would rather buy another ae86 than trade, they always come with something wrong. About the belt issue, its not too hard, just takes time and patience when your new. Hopefully you get a 4AGEC in there. I want a 20V but afraid of SMOG issues....damn Cali. GLWT project, hope to hear from here some more

"I love it--but its a riceburner, not supercar. Doesn't bother me if someone calls it that, I figure it is also a good $20,000 cheaper than even a cheap BMW.<G>"
~Red

Eric’sFreeAE86 on the FT86
"Yeah Toyota's been carrying this baby for like 5 years. They'll come out rusted and broken. "

"A 4cyl is all u need to scare u 5hitless in a street rolla."
~jinx

AE86 FSM

http://www.aeu86.org/index/tec...=5158

props to 84hatch

LunchBox

1 posts [100%]
Saskatoon

» Reply  Edit

I wonder how your heater core is doing... =S
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Thanks TK, but I've been in cars for years now. I know what I'm doing, it's just I've never actually done any of it lol.

Lunchbox - my heater core is probably fine with just a flush if you need one.

Things are a little on hold right now unfortunately. I don't have two pennies to rub together, and I'll need to clean everything before re-assembly. So I'm stuck until funds come back up enough to get a couple more cans of carb cleaner and degreaser. I've decided to do things a little different and keep my stock carb and stock cam. Money saved means better tires and fresher paint; eventually.

I figure $200 for a hotter cam and race springs or tires. $300 for a Weber cam or paint. I can mod the car later, I just want to get it running now.

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Man I do love ebay! Fiddy bucks + shipping!

Now the hard part is identifying them. They are all 14x6", and the offset is awful close to zero; maybe positive just barely. The only markings on the rims is on the inside. 3 say Made in USA, while one is Hencho'd in Mexico. The USA ones look like this:

And all 4 have this identical sticker about load rating; but no brand name or manufacturer.

Agent_Smith

865 posts [100%]

Your AE86 is looking good. Keep up the good work, Erick.
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: Eric's Free SR5 (Agent_Smith) » Reply  Edit

Thanks! I'm hoping to test fit the wheels Thursday; working two jobs makes it tough to get things done.
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Got a lot of things done today. First I found the hatch had water in it; again. Awesome. So I reckon it's one of these rust holes gone plum through the car.

I think it's most likely this one under the tail light, since there's a spot on the inside in the same place.

The car had been rear-ended last century and had been repaired. Although those exterior repairs haven't faired well since. Also, is there supposed to be a gap all along on top of the lights?

I didn't pull the tail light out to check for rust/holes underneath because 1) I didn't have a 8mm deepwell socket with me and B) I didn't have any way of fixing whatever I would've found anyways, so I just left it alone for now. I figure it's been leaking for a decade, how can it get worse in a couple weeks?

Anyways, on to bigger and better things!!! Thanks to Troy, I've got new to me 14"s to toss on. They fit like a charm!!

So close to flushness, I'm going to get some 1/4" spacers for the rear, and leave the front however it turns out. I plan to strip the wheels and re-chrome the lips while painting the faces black. Add a set of new black lug nuts and she'll be golden!

Then I got under the car and pulled the junk fuel lines out. That was a lot of fun. I gotta put the rear brake line back in, but I'll wait until I've got new fuel lines and do it all at once. I also removed the charcoal canister under the hood, and took the battery out and set it in the trunk. I'm going to relocate it anyways and the battery tray makes a nice tool caddy.

So I got bored with the car that don't run, so I went to the garage and messed with the head some more. I cleaned the valves in Berryman's B12 in the bottom half of a Coke bottle cuz I'm a redneck and I had an empty 2L bottle, so I made it into a parts bowl and a funnel.

Then I de-rust-ified the water pump and lines and stuff that were nasty from coolant evaporating. I used naval jelly in a squirt bottle. It worked great! And I forgot to take pictures!

I had some rust build up on the cam's lobes and on the rocker arms. I'm assuming that's not good for rebuilding a head, so I took some Scotch Brite pads and hammered down. Obviously before:

And during:

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

So now I am very close to being ready to re-assemble the head and try to get the car going again. I still need to:
1) smooth the rough edges on the head so I can:
2) paint the parts before I:
3) reassemble the head so I can:
4) reassemble to dizzy so I can:
5) re-install it all on the car.

I also need to clean/rebuild my stock carb before putting it back on. Add fresh fuel lines and I don't think there will be anything left untouched that has anything to do with the car actually running. As soon as I get it running, I will drive it straight to work where it will sit until I can afford tires for it.

Grant

3656 posts [86%]
San Jose ca

» Reply  Edit

Don't worry, 16V's are plenty slow too. The main reasons I'd swap is for the response of the 4age. I think you'd have trouble making as lively of an engine out of a 4ac.

Stand Alone ECU tuning. Message me for details.

Looking to buy a corolla manual rack and a TRD 3 gear transmission.
*also wtb 4 point roll cage/bar for ae86 coupe

Jeonsah

1814 posts [95%]
Co

» Reply  Edit

looks good man. I think your missing the tail light gaskets. Just like me!

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

That makes sense actually. I mean it was wrecked in the rear, and it's possible the repair shop cut a corner by not replacing the gaskets on the lights. The mounting nuts on the inside seemed like they were covered in tar or something. So i reckon they just threw some black rtv gasket maker on there and called it a day.
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Cell phone won't let me hit enter and go to a new paragraph Anyways, i called the toyota dealer here in town and they said they can get all the two big tail light gaskets and the tag light seals for around fifty bucks and they could have them in a couple days. I'll try to find some used ones on here, but fifty bucks ain't too shabby for me.
JDMautomatic4AC

116 posts [100%]
Southern California

I've seen window foam? used for tail light gaskets. It's sticky on one side and basically just a small strip of waterproof foam. As you bolt down the tail light, it clamps down on the foam, sealing the light.

By the way, nice progress.

i'm on a money makin mission
but i party like a rockstar
i'm flyin down 20 lookin good in my hot car
you know them hoes be at my show
grabbin where my chain go
i'm tryna rap & hold my pants
but these hoes won't let my thang go
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Yeah i bet that would work. I figure if i've gotta spend the money to get something to fix it, i may as well get the right thing though. That is a good suggestion though. I'll try to get the head painted and put together tomorrow. I have to do a bunch of stuff on my camry first though- brakes and oil change. But luckily i'll do all that in the same garage as the head parts big updates tomorrow
Red

9661 posts [78%]

Eric, nice find!

While you're trying to fight ten years of neglect, also take the time to flush and rebuild the brakes. After ten years, whatever fluid was in then has turned to junk, and sucked in enough moisture so the brake cylinders are probably rusted and ready to leak. You might want to simply flush the system (with alcohol) and refill and see if it holds, but if you're planning to keep the car? Might be safer to just replace all four wheel cylinders and eyeball the hoses before you even change the fluid.

If you get stuck with a lay day when there's nothing else you can do, the tranny and rear end fluid are guaranteed to need a change, too. And while you're at the dealer parts counter? They've reprinted the factory manuals ($75+) and there are a whole lot of small quirky things in these cars that can make it worth owning one. You can download pirate copies from the web of course, but for the price having the paper on in hand isn't so bad sometimes.

--Original owner, '85 Corolla GTS. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150, or a Ford GT, in similar condition.
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Re: Eric's Free SR5 (Red) » Reply  Edit

Great advice Red. since i pulled the rear brake line out with the fuel line, i already need to flush and fill the brake juice anyways. Great about the service manual, might make a nice christmas present lol. I know the transfer case fluid needs a check, the front seal seems to have a slow leak. As bad as the fuel system is, it's a safe bet all the fluids are in rough shape lol.
Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Small update on the car. I messed with it a little. I pulled the tail lights out. Very unhappy with what i found. drivers side light is held in with a bead of tar. The turn signal that's kinda recessed down into the rear quarter panel was pretty much made of bondo. Very much not cool plus the sheet metal under the license plate thing is all wavy and not straight. And there is a hole rusted through underneath the drivers tail light. I would have got more done, but i managed to stab a hole in my hand with a pick when i was removing some wire clips so i called it a day lol.
Jeonsah

1814 posts [95%]
Co

» Reply  Edit

dont let rust scare you! your rolla is still clean!!! i believe if you really wanted to, a new rear taillight panel from toyota is like 170$

Eric'sFreeAE86

2589 posts [100%]
Chattanooga TN

Really? I'll have to call them monday and see maybe i'll find someone cutting one up on here too. Used is always fine with me. Just cut out the old panel and weld in the new one? I'll be off friday and saturday this week, hopefully i'll get more done. I think all i still have to purchase is fuel lines and a radiator set up. I've got a crazy red neck idea for that, so it's hush hush right now
 First  1 2 3 4 5 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs