Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 4AGE common oil leak. They all have it!!!
Author Post
redline828

29 posts [100%]
downey ca

4AGE common oil leak. They all have it!!! Reply  Edit

Ok so i've known 4age engines for a while and most of them all have an oil leak coming of the lower timing belt side of the engine...when i go to the junk yard and even in my car they all have the same dammend leak! what the heck is it???
where is it coming from?

-Dan

Jeff Lange

3143 posts [99%]

» Reply  Edit

My guess would be crank seal or oil pan.

Jeff

redline828

29 posts [100%]
downey ca

Re: (Jeff Lange) » Reply  Edit

Thanx.... I hope its not my crank seal cause i refuse to take on that mission. but im ganna give it a shot with oil ban. Thanx a lot i appreciate your time.

-D

taroroot

3167 posts [100%]

Re: (redline828) » Reply  Edit

Take off the timing covers for a better look. Try and see where it's oily. Possible that it's leaking up at the cam seal too and it's dripping down.
ragnarok2004

54 posts [100%]
Santa Rosa ca

» Reply  Edit

If that is the case on all 4age's wouldn't that mess up not only the belt, but also mess up the timing from it slipping teeth because of the oil.
corollasrul

1568 posts [98%]
Racine WI

Re: (ragnarok2004) » Reply  Edit

I know on my AE92 when it had the 4af it leaked from the front of the oil pan. I tried to repair it like 4 times but after that I gave up and eventually it got bad enough my oil pressure just dropped to 0 one day on the highway and i threw a rod and pistion through the block and oil pan.
I really doubt it would make the timing belt jump tho. I have a 93 talon that is leaking at the front seal but the timing belt looked brand new when I checked it. I replaced it with a greddy timing belt anyways just cause I had one and that was some months ago and it is still dry and looks brand new. I have noticed that the toyota 4a motors are actually pretty similar to the mitsu 4g63 motors in the 1st gen mistus
redline828

29 posts [100%]
downey ca

Re: (corollasrul) » Reply  Edit

my friend hadn't checked the oil on his engine for a while and had the same oil leak and just one day on the freeway blew a hole through his 4AGE. I have the same leak on top of a cooler line leak that i have know fixed but still need to get to the main seal of oil pan whichever is.
ordep1976

112 posts [100%]
orlando fl

Re: (redline828) » Reply  Edit

dats scary i guess is good idea to keep eye on oil pressure all time and checkin oil reguraly
Jeppe

16 posts [100%]

Re: (ordep1976) » Reply  Edit

It is a good idea to keep eye on oil pressure, 4age is strict about it.
Old friend of mine told me to never wonder sensor fault if there's no oil pressure.
redline828

29 posts [100%]
downey ca

Re: (Jeppe) » Reply  Edit

Ride on guys thanx for the wisdom.
stancati

146 posts [96%]
Brampton ON

Re: 4AGE common oil leak. They all have it!!! (redline828) » Reply  Edit

i just re-built a smallport 4AGE, i have no oil leaks to speak of, i am unsure if this is a common issue with the 4AGE because i havent seen many of them leak. my guess would be either the crank seal or the oil pump, that is if the oil is not leaking from above ... my smallport came with a oil pressure sending unit and a guage for inside the car ... i always have my eye on that guage ... if you dont have a guage for oil pressure, it is always a good idea to buy and install one, the last thing u would want is to seize the engine

oil really is the life blood of any internal combustion engine, the longetivity and performance of the engine really depend on the type of oil used and the oil pressure in the system

cdixon311

185 posts [99%]
Houston TX

» Reply  Edit

both my 4afe & 7afe had the same problem. Seems to be a common issue imo. It made one hell of a mess on my ae92, although I havent' fixed it yet. I plan to power wash it again after the 7afe is rebuilt.

http://ae92corolla.com
http://auto-parts-locator.com
pilot941

143 posts [85%]
Port Charlotte fl

Mine had that problem too. The crank seal, and cam seals were leaking. It was quite a job to do, but it is critical. It is a good idea to spend the extra 20 bucks and replace the timing belt as well. Good luck! Now my distributor is oozing out oil. That is a simple fix though.

1990 Toyota AE92 GTS and 1999 WS6 Trans Am

Tijuana Taxi is an awesome song, and it always puts me in a good mood!

shawnho

169 posts [100%]
Overland Park Kansas

Re: 4AGE common oil leak. They all have it!!! (pilot941) » Reply  Edit

My front main started leaking a few years back, just leaving a drop or two on the garage floor each night. I finally dropped the pan and did the front seal a year or so ago with a timing belt replacement - and not a single drip anywhere under the car now.

pilot941

143 posts [85%]
Port Charlotte fl

Re: 4AGE common oil leak. They all have it!!! (shawnho) » Reply  Edit

Nice AE86 btw.

1990 Toyota AE92 GTS and 1999 WS6 Trans Am

Tijuana Taxi is an awesome song, and it always puts me in a good mood!

oldeskewltoy

13133 posts [99%]
Portland

» Reply  Edit

Hmmm lower left while look at the engine(in rwd apps)????

How loose is your dipstick???

Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/ USE it!

I've been wrong before... and at somepoint in time, I'll be wrong again

Crownvicman289

1984 posts [58%]
Colorado Springs CO

» Reply  Edit

Could also be the gasket between the oil pump and block. For the oil pan, I'll use nothing but Toyota's FIPG. I've tried gaskets and silicone RTV to no avail, but the FIPG I just tried has got me the closest to no leaks I've ever been.
JT2AE88

31 posts [100%]
tacoma wa

Re: (Crownvicman289) » Reply  Edit

Also you gotta understand, that are cars and engines are old ass hell, mines leaks too, same place, crank seals, oil pan,ect... Gonna fix is soon. any advise!!!

1985 ae88 16v

taroroot

3167 posts [100%]

Re: (JT2AE88) » Reply  Edit

Replace all the seals. Anything rubber, replace. My engine leaked when first got it. Did the front crank seal and oil pump gaskets (and t-belt, cam seals, valve cover seals) . WHen I popped that seal it was crusty and hard. When I did flywheel and clutch, did rear seal.
85corolla_gts

196 posts [99%]
10,000 Lakes

» Reply  Edit

Both mine doesn't leak at all.
nomadicp

17 posts [100%]

I've had two fx16's that both leaked oil. The primary leak was through the distributor.
The inner seal was the culprit. http://www.kbox.ca/ for the distributor rebuild kit.

Have done with lesser things...

» Return to Cars - FWD (AE, EP, etc...)