Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 7mgte swap HELP
Author Post
chad hirdes

22 posts [100%]

7mgte swap HELP Reply  Edit

Ok i got a 7mgte from my last supra that i had. Then after that car i bought a corolla and i love the ae86 and i refuse to get rid of it. So my thing is that i am putting the 7mgte in my corolla and i need some imput on what i would need to do.
Now the things that i got coverd right now are solid motor mounts, i got a place that will make a drive shaft to fit the supra T trans and the corolla rear end. I got shafts for the solid rear end being made that will hold 500hp and a LSD being put in. Wireing is all taken care of along with ECU, and now i need to know if any of the car has to get cut out to fit the motor and trans and thats pritty much where im at in this. If any one can help it would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Im planing for 400hp or a little less

domi
mod

1129 posts [100%]
St. Ann MO

» Reply  Edit

Respect on the endevour, i can't really help but wish you luck anyway. A random reminder that you'll need a lot of chasis reinforcement to keep the AE86 straight [literally] with 400hp. Also a heavy plant, that I6, consider going 'the extra mile' on the front springs or you'll be diving on brakes and lift-off. Besides that - best of luck again and keep it between the ditches once it runs!

GeneralPostingPolicy:
...if it sounds sarcastic - don't take seriously,
if it sounds dangerous - do not try this at home, or at all...
and if it offends you - just don't listen to it!
andy10889

275 posts [98%]
mobile al

» Reply  Edit

wow, thats gunna be quick. you basically got it covered, i would get some stiffer springs for the front for sure though.
jinx

1022 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

You must luv the ae86 solely for its looks, as thats the only thing the 7M won't totally transform.
Corolla rear end... with a LSD ?? You kiddin', right.
Don't need to cut up the car, IF w58 used tho (strong enough).
We only made top section of radiator support removable for ez access.
rubber mounts fine
Friend had a 7mgte powered street 83 rolla(same chasis), "brutal" is all I can say. Would make a good cheap street/strip project.

Another friend owns a 7mgte powered '84 mkII supra. Although slightly heavier than a rolla, it feels like a perfect "blend". Not as much weight difference as one may think, between a 7m/ae & 7m/mkII.
No pi55in about with custom rear end as mkII comes with a 7.5 diff stock.
I prefer that 'package' to the 7M rolla to be honest... & I'm a rolla nut - MKII= fast daily driver, ac, smooth as silk and dirt cheap FTW.

here you go, right up your alley. Good job too
http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/ae86/t/4636

andy10889

275 posts [98%]
mobile al

» Reply  Edit

i really want to 7m somthing soon, i would kill for a 84 celica supra to throw one in. or a 77 celica liftback. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm sexy
mrceej

1064 posts [100%]

Re: (andy10889) » Reply  Edit

My friend had done the swap on his AE86 (http://www.pandagarage.com if you want to see it, click "chassis/clip/engine"). I'm not sure about the firewall side, but on the front side, he had a custom radiator support made. Basically, he had the radiator sit in front of the support rather than behind. This gave a little more room for the fan, but even then it was a tight fit.
chad hirdes

22 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

man all you guys are giving great info. Yeah the motor is being sent out this month to be rebuilt and same with the trans and if i get a digital cam soon i will be seeneding pics for all to see and freak out over cause i know i am.

And about the rear end the LSD is totaly 100% custom to hold all the power.

chad hirdes

22 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

Oh and again if any body has any other info or knows of helpful hints or anything please post thanks again, ae86 owns

ryceboy_124

7155 posts [100%]
San Diego/Chula Vista CA

Re: (mrceej) » Reply  Edit

Yeah...Archies 86 needed no mods to the firewall at all. It was quick but I think I liked his 4AGZE Turbo setup better.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Phone: 619.621.8685
/THE86LIFE\
realxlai

2 posts [100%]
Alexandria va

» Reply  Edit

so i have been looking into this swap recently as well. after reading the ae86u.org thread he mentioned that he had to reweld the motor mounts. Does anyone know the measurements exactly?

What modifications will need to be done to fit the r154 transmission in?

speedfreak426

2 posts [100%]
Brighton MI

Re: (andy10889) » Reply  Edit

I'm sorry to be bumping such an old thread... but...

here is my car...

speedfreak426

2 posts [100%]
Brighton MI

» Reply  Edit

So if anyone ever needs help with a 7M-swap, just let me know
saifah77celica

1 posts [100%]
san diego ca

Re: (speedfreak426) » Reply  Edit

can you help me with 7m swap? i have the same car and i would like to do the same setup like your.
Jtek

10367 posts [100%]
Portland OR

» Reply  Edit

SO SICK!!!!! RA29 is now an MA29!

OMG I love it!

Did you install ARP head studs and cometic head gasket? Looks lik eyou've got all your bases covered. Show and tell more about it, please!

usarmyae86

211 posts [92%]
Killeen TX

Re: (Jtek) » Reply  Edit

kinda off topic, but what would be awesome in my book would be to get an adapter for the T50 to hook it up to a B18

"This is fun! I wish that Toyota could make cars like this again!"
-Keiichi Tsuchiya on the AE86
Jtek

10367 posts [100%]
Portland OR

Re: (usarmyae86) » Reply  Edit

Quote, originally posted by usarmyae86 »
kinda off topic, but what would be awesome in my book would be to get an adapter for the T50 to hook it up to a B18
W58*

T50 breaks under 4AC power. Junk transmissions.

usarmyae86

211 posts [92%]
Killeen TX

Re: (Jtek) » Reply  Edit

would the w58 require a lot of cutting to fit in the corolla?

jinx

1022 posts [100%]

» Reply  Edit

doesn't the B18 spin "backwards" ? So how would that work ?
Junk setup imo...... and a real pos compared to the smooth torquey 7mgte/w58

usarmyae86

211 posts [92%]
Killeen TX

Re: (jinx) » Reply  Edit

yeah I kinda learned that a little too late *facepalms himself*

Michael764

9 posts [100%]
Toledo Wa

Re: (usarmyae86) » Reply  Edit

you dont cut the w58.

you cut the car to make it fit. and in doing so your messing with the structral integity.

i have an 87 7mgte (known as a piggy)
and an 84 7mgte.

for you to make this work you need

new suspension (complete) buschings sway bars, even bust out that welder for the weekend and get some chassis support bars busted out, (suspension to frame)
if its available, go to a wrecking yard and cut the rear 1/4 out pf an mkii supra.

(not sure but) rolla has strait axel and 6" diff(?)

celicasupra has a 7.5/8 (depends on what you find) and irs.

replace from the rolla as much as you can ROLLA < SUPRA.

trust me you will be hating how often you blow a diff if you keep the stock rolla setup.

if your considering the higher hp, (in this case ) 500+ i would just consider a trutrack. you might even do it anyways if its rolla compatible.

i have had a 7mgte 70 corona wagon. didnt do much to the rear end when i did the swap, but the motor sure kicked its ass. infact it went through a rear end at least once a month. eventually enough damage was done that i sold the shell and picked up another.

the point of this rant:

1 upgrade the hell out of the suspension, you wont handle worth crap either way

2 upgrade the rear end, or prepare for a brain tumor

3 up grade the chassis stiffness, esp. since you will be cutting it up to fit trans.

4 i have 7mgte parts

My Current Project:

[B]84 CelicaSupra 7mgte[/B]
-----------------------------

Shop Project:

88 Cressi >7mgte & 5spd

chorie

308 posts [92%]
phoenix az

Re: 7mgte swap HELP (chad hirdes) » Reply  Edit

i just wrote to some other guy post about wanting to to the 7mge this is my response
7mg is not bad idea lots of mods i have an ae86 i had 5mge my car drop down to heavy in order for me to instal the engine right i had to cut the fire wall and where the transmission housing is located and after i install it had to fabricate another fire wall and housing where the radiator gets strap and where the hood latches i had to shop in oder for iit just to go into the engine bay if i could remember i had to cut the hood good thing i didnt do it i think i have pick ill look for them and ill post them i didnt even got to the motor mounts i ended tossing the engine out and selling it i still have the car now im going to do 4age swamp
too muuchh work dont do it

» Return to Cars - RWD - (AE86, TE, KP, RA, TA)