Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 New around here.. 85 GTSFirst  < 2 3 4 >  Last
Author Post
LongGrain

516 posts [94%]
Green Bay WI

» Reply  Edit

Thanks! I made some more progress.

Replaced factory oil cooler, clutch master and slave cylinders, Fixed some of the wiring issues and got the car to run much better (without having to jump the fuel pump). And finally took it for a maiden voyage today... Just up and down the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKb1RJN0qQ0

Dark*Squad!
Buckethead

1740 posts [100%]
The Middle of Nowhere MN

Re: (corollarollas) » Reply  Edit

love the build! always great to see another midwest 86!

1985 AE86 GTS hatch
1985 AE86 GTS hatch 1UZFE
1988 AE82 FX16 GTS (project)

---------------------
Addicted to the 80's

LongGrain

516 posts [94%]
Green Bay WI

» Reply  Edit

thanks man. Now if only i could get it running well enough to drive..

Dark*Squad!
GodLovesUgly

154 posts [100%]
Calgary Alberta

Re: (LongGrain) » Reply  Edit

any updates? Is the MAP stuff all gone now? whats next? I miss this car
LongGrain

516 posts [94%]
Green Bay WI

Re: (GodLovesUgly) » Reply  Edit

oh wow, I didnt think anyone read my build. Thanks for the kind words and I guess and here are some updates

Well in proper fashion. I couldnt get this piece of junk to start and run like it should, so I bought a bunch of stickers, suspension parts and fiberglass instead so that at least it looks cool.

Battle version 4-link

retro-spec fiberglass sunroof replacement

and stickers.

cars that run are retarded anyway, right?

anyways. I threw in the BV 4-link and fiberglass sunroof. And I got real sick of the issues I was having with the car so I posted my MAP conversion up for sale and started tearing everything apart again.

pulled all the stock wiring, blower, AC, heater core, vent tubes etc etc etc.

This is all going in the trash.

this is going back in the car.

and this is SOLD.

Then I went ahead and put all new chassis harnesses in, but thats about as far as I've gotten. I moved into a new apt and my car is still back at home, as soon as I find a way to get it here, I'll start working on it again.

As far as a motor goes, I have a swap in the works, I'll update more on that once I pick it up from IL.

Until next time..

Dark*Squad!
GodLovesUgly

154 posts [100%]
Calgary Alberta

Awesome!!!! Damn man of course I read this build! one of the few I follow religiously, if I had the time and a better chassis to start off of this would be the exact kind of car id build, screams 90's styling. Love it. Dig the fibreglass sunroof panel, whered you pick it up? Anyways dude keep up the good work, this thing seeps inspiration to me excited to see whats next!
LongGrain

516 posts [94%]
Green Bay WI

» Reply  Edit

thanks for the kind words. But honestly, the car looks much better in pictures than in real life. It pretty beat in person. The sunroof came from a group buy here on club4ag, from a company called retro-spec. Its a direct replacement for OEM, so it works with all the sliding mechanisms and all that, But I'm just going to be finding a way to fix mine permanently and remove all the sliders and the big cage normally around it. If it doesnt work out I'll just sell it and have the roof welded shut like a normal person.

Dark*Squad!
dreamtoyzchicago

1790 posts [99%]
CHICAGO IL

im following your build if u follow mine!!!!!!!!!! looks sexy? how did the quarter work bro?

Victoriasdaddy =)
LongGrain

516 posts [94%]
Green Bay WI

» Reply  Edit

ima have to find your build. I'm interested in seeing what you have going on! The quarter and the new fenders are still sitting and waiting for me to get around to body work stuff.

Dark*Squad!
GodLovesUgly

154 posts [100%]
Calgary Alberta

Hows everything going man, any updates?
Did you ever post what size the longchamps are? Im curious, apoligies if I missed it somewhere in the thread.
LongGrain

516 posts [94%]
Green Bay WI

» Reply  Edit

xr4 are 14x8 -5

car is just sitting all torn apart, no dough to do anything with it.

Dark*Squad!
GodLovesUgly

154 posts [100%]
Calgary Alberta

Hey man, bumpin a zombie thread here but im wondering where you got those little exterior trunk latches?
LongGrain

516 posts [94%]
Green Bay WI

» Reply  Edit

pegasus racing supply here in WI. They were like 10 bucks each or something plus shipping.

Dark*Squad!
GodLovesUgly

154 posts [100%]
Calgary Alberta

Sweet man, thanks. So do you still use the oem trunk release and latch? or just those? not even sure if their strong enough. reason I ask is my trunk release is fubar, so im looking into setting something like this up whre i can just undo a couple latches on the outside.
regardless! back on topic, its been a while! any updates before winter hits? or is it still sittin?

LongGrain

516 posts [94%]
Green Bay WI

its still sitting.

I don't have the stock latch at all.

car needs a new engine and some wiring. No idea what I'm going to do with it. whatever I find for cheap I guess.

Dark*Squad!
mikeyee

1697 posts [96%]
Fremont ca

Quote, originally posted by LongGrain »
its still sitting.

I don't have the stock latch at all.

car needs a new engine and some wiring. No idea what I'm going to do with it. whatever I find for cheap I guess.

jump on the 7age bandwagon route. and booooostt

http://about.me/myee

Mike Yee's Corolla resource page: https://sites.google.com/site/ncalae86/resources-1

LongGrain

516 posts [94%]
Green Bay WI

» Reply  Edit

I don't even know what that is.

that being said, I would never EVER turbo a corolla. makes me sick thinking about it.

Dark*Squad!
GodLovesUgly

154 posts [100%]
Calgary Alberta

that being said, I would never EVER turbo a corolla. makes me sick thinking about it.

respect
Honestly id go 20v! "RELATIVELY" cheap if you cut corners (ie custom waterlines, bang out your firewall or COP's, and if you can handle the wiring yourself thats always a bonus) and considering how hard you drove with the 16v i think a 20v will give you more than youll ever need!
just my 0.02, besides who doesnt love itbs right?!

mikeyee

1697 posts [96%]
Fremont ca

cheapo junkyard 1.8 stroke swap, more ideal for boosting

ahh, just threw it out there because turbo corollas seem like a lot of fun and can be had on the cheap.

http://about.me/myee

Mike Yee's Corolla resource page: https://sites.google.com/site/ncalae86/resources-1

LongGrain

516 posts [94%]
Green Bay WI

» Reply  Edit

20v was top on my list since there were a few for sale locally for mad cheap. But none of them seem to be available anymore now that I'm actually serious about buying. So for now I'm just going to be keeping the money on ice and when something pops off I'll grab it. I'd love to do a 20v if i can find another one in my price range.

If all else fails I could always rebuild the 7 rib thats in my car now, I don't think it needs all that much work, and then I'd just go with 20v throttles and a megasquirt or something with a simple build.

Dark*Squad!
GodLovesUgly

154 posts [100%]
Calgary Alberta

Yeah man, honestly I think 20v is definatley the way to go, just keep your eyes open mabye you'll find something over winter. If not, im sure if you rebuild the 7rib you got now thatll be fine. Honestly, id steer clear of doing 20v throttles. I attempted in last year, and after i got into it, realized alot of it went way over my head, especially when it came to wiring a diy megasquirt. Besides, the way I see it, with what youll spend going throught the work of getting 20v throttles on a 16v, might as well just swap a 20v! If anything, just rebuild the 7rib to get it running strong, and leave it at that. Thats what im trying to do over winter, just find a high comp 4ag to clean up and run next season, i cant afford 20v at the moment.
But regardless, love this car, im excited to see whats in store for it! keep us posted man
LongGrain

516 posts [94%]
Green Bay WI

» Reply  Edit

change of plans.

I'm actively searching out a GZE right now. If all else fails I will bend over and get raped on one from an importer, but thats the direction I want to go.

more power, good torque, straight forward swap with minimal wiring and all that jazz while still maintaining that corolla spirit.. Sounds good to me.

Dark*Squad!
GodLovesUgly

154 posts [100%]
Calgary Alberta

Sounds cool. Just keep in mind ae92>aw11
Nothings WRONG with the aw11 4agze's but the ae92's get the sweet DLI ignition, and ae92 rods are beast mode, and apparently the ae92's the more powerful version. mabye look it up just to clarify im not wrong, im going off memory here so you never know. good luck dude

edit: Forgot to mention a w58 swap might be of interest too if you take this route! the extra torque really eats t50's for breakfast

Modified by GodLovesUgly at 4:53 PM 10/29/2011

LongGrain

516 posts [94%]
Green Bay WI

» Reply  Edit

yea, i've researched the difference between them.

w58.. ehh. I'll think about that when I blow up my transmission. Ive given my t50 the beating of a lifetime and its taken all of my crap. i have a 4.778, and small wheels with skinny tires. I'm not too worried about my trans just yet.

Dark*Squad!
GodLovesUgly

154 posts [100%]
Calgary Alberta

Haha I guess your right man, deal with it when you have too. Well cool man, hope this works out for you, gze's are sweet! ive considered it myself quite a bit, always thought of a 20v swap as much simpler, but I dont know.
Thinking of doing a 16v on bike carbs now though anyways.
im excited to see how it goes for you dood! keep us posted!
LongGrain

516 posts [94%]
Green Bay WI

Time to bring this thread back I think.

alright so I trailered the car to a shop finally since I gave up on fixing it myself.

scary dolly ride, exhaust was about a half inch off the ground.

beginnings of the cage.

These Came

Put my other longchamps and new front fenders on. stunting.

new front suspension, swapped NCRCA for RCA, t3 LCA, T3 tension rod, manual rack w/ spacers, Greddy Type S.

fixing the boro quarter panel.

Finally got a good deal on a set of these (only 250!)

and installed.

I have lots more to report, but thats it for this post.

Dark*Squad!
LongGrain

516 posts [94%]
Green Bay WI

And continuing on.

I got a new engine.

it was dirty, but it was in good shape.

got it up on a stand and stripped it naked.

got some throttle bodies.

and some trumpets.

and a manifold to unite them all.

Then I realized I'm going to have to provide gas for this thing.

so i got this stuff.

and what about vacuum?

Had to do something about all the ugly wiring, not to mention the stock ECU runs MAF, so that had to go.

Hello custom harness and AEM V2 EMS

and routed proper.

Fixed the engine cover and cleaned everything up a bit.

And I'm done photodumping for a few minutes. I should have even bigger updates in the upcoming weeks.

Dark*Squad!
johnh

442 posts [100%]
Moreno Valley CA

Awesome!!!...
LongGrain

516 posts [94%]
Green Bay WI

» Reply  Edit

thanks

Dark*Squad!
Note

620 posts [100%]
Oil Painting, Trapped

I just read through your thread and, wow, I'm surprised it took me so long to stumble upon this.

Being from Wisconsin, I have great respect for the condition of your car. My car, despite being a GTS and stored, was certainly not as nice as yours when I purchased it. My ideal AE86 is how you picked yours up, haha.

Keep up the great work, and I'll look forward to updates!

Build Thread: 1985 AE86 GT-S

Note's "For Sale" Thread
* GZE Supercharger Kit
* T50 Transmissions

Note's "Want to Buy" Thread

Email: zenkinote@gmail.com

"God's In His Heaven, All's Right With The World"

First  < 2 3 4 >  Last

» Return to Shop Cars (Featured Build-Up Logs) & Personal Buildup Logs