Included Logo Page

The Old CLUB4AG FORUM ARCHIVE

For reference only, all new posts and communications should be posted in the new forums at http://club4ag.com/forums

My Profile | Active Users | Member List | Search

Print  Email  Subscribe  RSS  Help
 Coilovers Recomendations pleaseFirst  < 1 2   Last
Author Post
DiSRuPTiV

4 posts [100%]
Long beach Cali

» Reply  Edit

Honestly I would have to go dg-5. Driftspeed has them at a really good price right now. I'm not sure if I can post the price on here but it's not much more than Megan v2's and it comes with the spindle too.
breanna

30 posts [100%]
miami fl

Re: (onelungderryl) » Reply  Edit

i need a very stiff spring coil over i got a tocama engine in my car turbo n engine is heavy need pair stiff springs thanks
breanna

30 posts [100%]
miami fl

Re: (DiSRuPTiV) » Reply  Edit

look on the enjuku racing have magan coil overs n also got the new one you looking for
supraman10

596 posts [100%]
spanaway wa

Re: Coilovers Recomendations please (THE86OFAZTEC) » Reply  Edit

ksport is valved by greddy, but costs half as much, is fully adjustable for compression, rebound, ride height, etc, plus camber plates too.

[b]We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungreatful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.[/b]
gtSr5

1546 posts [88%]
Spartanburg SC

Re: Coilovers Recomendations please (supraman10) » Reply  Edit

honestly the megans might be right for u with a spring change.. the valving is very harsh on these i feel.. u can change sprign rates on any coilover out there though..even if the company doesnt offer it themselves.. all u need is a 2.5 id spring of the same extended length.. at one time for example morejapan offered tanabe springs i the right size in rates up to like 20kg/mm for only $40 a pair.

quote garage 86"upgrade yourself 1st .... DONT upgrade your car sooo much ,that YOU YOURSELF cant even catch up to your own upgrades ..."
JRolla86

56 posts [100%]
Fort Carson CO

Has anybody gone the Techno Toy Tuning conversion route? If so, how do they compare to others? Please elaborate because your answer may save me some money!

View here...

http://www.technotoytuning.com...p=658

http://www.technotoytuning.com...p=655

ADee

29 posts [100%]
Reno NV

» Reply  Edit

^ Those are just Ground Control sleeves with a short stroke conversion.

If you're trying to do it on a tight budget you could build the exact same thing yourself.

Automotive Digression
chohdog

3965 posts [100%]
Long Beach CA

Re: Coilovers Recomendations please (supraman10) » Reply  Edit

Its difficult to have a man tell you where to eat the best steak when all he's had his whole life is chuck.
FujiwaraEightSix

3601 posts [99%]

» Reply  Edit

^ LOL +1

-Rick Cunanan
Owner,
SlideYourRide
Check us out on Facebook! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Email/Paypal
FujiwaraCoupe@aol.com

ADee

29 posts [100%]
Reno NV

Re: Coilovers Recomendations please (chohdog) » Reply  Edit

Are you disagreeing?

Automotive Digression
gtSr5

1546 posts [88%]
Spartanburg SC

Re: Coilovers Recomendations please (ADee) » Reply  Edit

thats the backyard method a lot of us refer to.. really and truly i and prolly a few others still will tell u thats the best setup for the ae86 strangely enough.. like i said ive had that style setup, also experienced tiens and the megans and greddys.. my megans are great but i still think i liked the backyards better.

quote garage 86"upgrade yourself 1st .... DONT upgrade your car sooo much ,that YOU YOURSELF cant even catch up to your own upgrades ..."
NonStopTuning

1781 posts [100%]

Re: Coilovers Recomendations please (gtSr5) » Reply  Edit

Some of our drivers on the NonStopTuning drift team run the BC Racing Coilover system. We have been very pleased with the quality and performance.

NonStopTuning now offers BC RACING Coilovers WITH spindles for the AE86.

BC Racing is proud to announce the current release of the AE86 coilovers with spindles attached. Consumers have requested more options for their application without the hassle of cutting and welding and BC has addressed the issue, offering a complete package.

The BR Series offers independent height adjustment to allow full shock travel at any given height, along with 30 adjustable settings for damping.

Perfect for street driving and occasional road course duty. With easily accessible adjustment knobs for fine tuning your compression/rebound and separately adjustable ride height, having a performance coilover system couldn稚 be any easier. You choose how low or high you want your vehicle, no preset ride height here, and our patented concave lower locking ring keeps it locked in. All of our systems come with pillowball mounts to provide the most feedback possible from your suspension and to sharpen your steering response. BC痴 available front and rear camber plates also allow you to get the perfect alignment setup without compromise. All this while providing a strong, attractive looking coilover system.

Mono-tube shock design
30 levels of damping force adjustment, adjust compression/rebound
Pillowball mounts and adjustable camber plates included (where applicable)
Adjustable rear camber plates available
Separate full length height adjustable
One year warranty
Rebuildable

PRICE: LESS THAN $1200.00 A SET
CONTACT BY PHONE: 281-917-0221
CONTACT BY EMAIL: cody@nonstoptuning.com

SIDE NOTE: NST has access to the entire line of BC Racing coilovers, wheels, etc.
We can order any item/kit for any car listed in the BC catalog. So don't hesitate to contact us for more info!

CODY @ NST

http://www.NonStopTuning.com
Offering the best in Pulleys, Clutches & Flywheels, Coilovers, and more.
Be sure to keep up with us on the NST blog!

Initial stfu

239 posts [100%]

Re: Coilovers Recomendations please (NonStopTuning) » Reply  Edit

BC coilover is nothing special they're from the same manufacture as Megan. same **** different color
overspool

68 posts [100%]
Ogden UT

Re: Coilovers Recomendations please (Initial stfu) » Reply  Edit

Lol totally wrong.

Just because BC and Megan are made in the same building, it doesn't mean their products are the same. Apexi coilovers are also made in the same building. But they're all different designs.

I'm new to the AE86 world, but I come from the Subaru community. I attended SEMA this past year and talked with the Megan reps and the BC reps. Both of them are in agreement that their products are vastly different. The valving is different, that much I know for sure.

Greddy coilovers are awesome, especially for these old corollas. Stance coilovers get a bit pricey, but are pretty awesome as well.

The new Megan coilovers look promising, and were engineered very well from what I can tell.

I'm not sure how long BC has been making coilovers for AE86s, but they've been taking over the Subaru world. They're an affordable coilovers, that have been showing promising results. They hold up well against corrosion and rust. Their warranty service is awesome. Even once the warranty is up, you pay $100 per corner, and they'll ship you a brand new one (not rebuilt/refurbished), and you ship your blown/broken one back to them.

EDIT: NST, did you realize you bumped a thread that is almost a year old? loool.

mikeyee

1697 posts [96%]
Fremont ca

» Reply  Edit

same manufacturers but different valving?

if what you say is true, then what justifies paying almost twice the price over when another brand but same chingchongland manufacturer that has their own "custom valving"

just trying to put things into perspective.

http://about.me/myee

Mike Yee's Corolla resource page: https://sites.google.com/site/ncalae86/resources-1

overspool

68 posts [100%]
Ogden UT

Re: (mikeyee) » Reply  Edit

The ones from "chingchongland" are made from a crappier material, and are not R&D tested whatsoever. There are different grades of steel, aluminum, etc.

Are you saying that BC coilovers are double the price of megans? I'm confused.

edit: Also, in case you didn't know, valving is everything when it comes to struts/shocks. The spring rates are the same, but the Megans have 32 clicks of adjustment, whereas the BCs have 30. The valving on the Megans is quite different, I wish I still had the pamphlets and ish they gave me at SEMA. They had all kinds of nifty diagrams and such that I could physically see the difference.

mikeyee

1697 posts [96%]
Fremont ca

Re: (overspool) » Reply  Edit

pretty sure amount of clicks doesnt matter; full soft will be full soft, and full hard is full hard.

i was refering to the ebay brands you might see.

http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=96993

for example, zankoku performance. a shop thats based in my area offers a very very good priced coilover, and works rather well with an awesome warranty. few of my friends have them on their miatas and love them. and theyre also manufactured from same factory as BC, Blitz, and Other pretty well known coilovers. zankoku even has their own custom shock valving as well!

Mike Yee's Corolla resource page: https://sites.google.com/site/ncalae86/resources-1

X-Trigger

206 posts [99%]

LOL

same manufacture but different quality? how much different can it get? if you ask a manufacture they're not going to tell you, "yes our parts are made in taiwan from the same manufacture as bc or megan our competitor". of course they're going to tell you their stuffs are totally different. they're just buncha sales that trying to sell their parts.

I got my KW coilover for my S2000. their rep told me if I ever upgrade my spring 200lbs more than the standard rate that come with the coilover, I need to revalve my shocks for the variant 2. since BC and Megan are using the same spring rate. I wonder how much different can their valving get.

Greddy is awesome? Because it's JDM brand but made in taiwan? Greddy never start making coilover until 3 - 4 years ago? I like my TRD and swift set up better than Greddy, it's all marketing, how much money they spend on magazines. sponsors, to make their brand a house hold name for the community.

Greddy is awesome - cuz JDM
Stance is awesome - cuz pricy is going to be awesome
Megan is promising
BC is good - cuz alot of ppl in the subaru forum is buying it

reason why they don't rebuild their shocks here in the USA because it's cheaper to buy buncha new cores from taiwan for warranty replacement than hiring an american to re-valve/rebuild their blown shocks at their facility.

overspool

68 posts [100%]
Ogden UT

Re: (X-Trigger) » Reply  Edit

Lol. Believe what you want.

Megan and BC valve their shocks differently according to spring rates. That's why they feel and handle differently. I have heard mixed reviews of the BCs, and I'd love to test them out myself.

TRD shocks are valved differently than stock, that is why they handle better than stock shocks.

A friend has the Greddy coilovers and loves them. The valving is stiff for most places in the US, but the roads in AZ are smooth, and he prefers them over the megans.

Stance has been making quality coilovers for awhile now, and if you read this whole thread, you'd see that other people are happy with them.

I don't deny that TRD struts with Swift springs is an awesome combo, but that seems to be pretty pricey. The only reason why I'm not going that route is because I like height adjustability, and I'm not a huge fan of sleeves.

As far as rebuilding, yeah it is much cheaper just to replace them. Neither Honda nor Toyota pays people to rebuild transmissions, because it's cheaper to just buy new ones and put them in. It's the same with shocks. rebuilding them isn't an easy task.

Look, I know I'm new to Club4AG, and I'm just one of those weird Subaru people, but I might actually have some knowledge to offer.

mikeyee

1697 posts [96%]
Fremont ca

hmmm.. don't know where to go from this point

like you said, if coilover manufacturers made their coils based on spring rates, all of their valving would be same. which would make them the same essentially (except for their jdm tyte colorways). standard spring rates are 8k/6k. then 10k/8k.

--
but when you're breaking down how you enjoy a coilover based on comfort. i honestly don't think you're using coilovers properly, or are even in territory of needing them.

and you're wrong to quickly denounce what x-trigger said about getting shocks revalved/rebuilt. KW suspension is some top-notch stuff. they build their coilovers based on a specific car's weight and matched spring rate. since the shock is carefully valved for max performance at a certain spring rate, changing the spring rate will mix things up and you'll get a coilover that isn't working properly. so makes sense needing revalve to your needs after changing up spring rates.
http://www.motoiq.com/industry....aspx

but heck. im not even sure if what im saying is 100% accurate. this is just stuff i've picked up reading/researching. shocks and valving and stuff is still unknown territory for me.

overspool

68 posts [100%]
Ogden UT

I agree with you 100%.

My friend with the Greddys, he has used them at a couple drift events, and still likes them more than the Megans. But that's just him.

As far as denouncing trigger-x about revalving, maybe I misunderstood him. I was talking about the warranty that BC has, where they replace an entire corner when it goes bad for $100. Instead of tearing it down, rebuilding, and sending it back, or sending you one that was rebuilt in the first place, they send you a brand new shock assembly. If you change the spring rate, of course they need to be revalved

kirksekm

775 posts [100%]
YOKOSUKA KANAGAWA

definitely have the greddys and theyre tha $h!T

[b]"my car is so low... i have to travel to the other side of the world to do an oil change"[/b] :o

[b]"WHAT THE F*^K IS JUICE?... GIMME SOME OF DAT GRAPE DRINK BABY!!" [/b] :thumbup:

[b]"I'D RATHER PUSH MY TOYOTA THAN EVER DRIVE A HONDA"[/b] =)

[u][b]" 60 PERCENT OF THE TIME IT WORKS EVERY TIME-SEX PANTHER- BRIAN FANTANA" [/b];)[/u]

"カウンターステアが遅いんだな?" Keiichi Tsuchiya

blkside

45 posts [100%]
Lake Elsinore CA

» Reply  Edit

Ok I am in search of coilovers and Ill make helping me pretty easy. I purchased my car from a friend. Overall pretty great shape but I want to make MY mods to it during the rebuild. One of the things I want is a complete coilover setup. Right now the fronts are the usual welded backyard setup and the rears have sleeves sitting on a U-clamp on AGX...
Im looking for the best bang for your buck -spindled- complete coilover like the Megans or similar. The car as of right now is going to be a street DD but I said that of my Evo X.. so lets look in the 50/50 of street & drift/track setups. Any help would be appreciated and I want a complete off the shelf purchase with possibly a spring swap.
mikeyee

1697 posts [96%]
Fremont ca

Re: (blkside) » Reply  Edit

you have THE best bang for buck Techno Toy Tuning coilovers.

whitespartian

978 posts [97%]

best setup ever. s13 kei office coilovers. the threaded body is steel so cut and weld for the fronts. awesome and I got mine as second hand trash. and put new inserts awesome for serious drift. but id say crap for street.

will trade roll cage work for overfenders, flares, carbon/fiberglass hood,
give me a call, or text is best
drift warrior fabrication, clarksville Tn
Carl -(909)435-8206

Poorutron

46 posts [100%]
Costa Mesa CA

» Reply  Edit

i just wanna throw out another option "Powered by max" sweet ol 8 front 6 rear for coilsprings and for $1k usd not bad
 First  < 1 2   Last

» Return to Cars - RWD - (AE86, TE, KP, RA, TA)